• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Xbox One PR nightmare made me appreciate WP team's shut up and ship it attitude.

Seriously, what's going on at the Xbox team? Even Steve Ballmer wasn't present at the reveal.
i don't think ballmer is ever present at xbox stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is anything up with push email and gmail? I just got a Nokia 920 and so I'm setting my 800 up for my wife, but she needs her work email to be pushed. I set it up using exchange with m.google.com and it does a one time sync of contacts and mails, but when I send her test emails they don't come through?

Edit: while I'm here - any good WP8 apps that I've been missing while stuck on 7.5?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm contemplating ordering a cyan or yellow replacement housing for my 920 and having it switched like the guy did in the WPCentral forums. I would probably have cellphone repair place do the switch though since I'm not confident I could do it properly.

hwalker84

Is anything up with push email and gmail? I just got a Nokia 920 and so I'm setting my 800 up for my wife, but she needs her work email to be pushed. I set it up using exchange with m.google.com and it does a one time sync of contacts and mails, but when I send her test emails they don't come through?

Edit: while I'm here - any good WP8 apps that I've been missing while stuck on 7.5?

Why are you trying to set it up using Exchange? This isn't the iPhone. Just set it up as gmail and it will setup push until July 31st

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/3933246/google-windows-phone-exchange-activesync-extension-july

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Xbox One PR nightmare made me appreciate WP team's shut up and ship it attitude.

Seriously, what's going on at the Xbox team? Even Steve Ballmer wasn't present at the reveal.
Yeah I have no idea how they seemingly didn't have a PR strategy (obviously they did, but it doesn't feel like that). Taking about features/aspects of the platform that aren't finalized yet like used games and such. Why say anything prior to being able to give concrete info?

Hopefully they can fix some of their PR nightmare at E3.
i don't think ballmer is ever present at xbox stuff.

He should be, if only to satisfy all the amazing GAF gifs prior to these events.

hwalker84

Because before (when I was using it), the only way to get push was to set it up as exchange. If I set it up as 'google' I can only select 15/30/60/120 minute refresh times, I don't get 'as items arrive'

When you setup the account the final checkbox asked something like "Do you want to sync contacts" if you uncheck that it will setup Gmail as 15/30/60/120 minute refresh times. If you keep that checked it sets up gmail with push.

PG2G

I have a friend that picked up a Lumia 520 and loves it but is considering returning it to get a cheap Android phone due to the lack of instagram. Itsdagraph is not available in her region, you guys know any work around for marketplace region issues?

maeh2k

Yeah I have no idea how they seemingly didn't have a PR strategy (obviously they did, but it doesn't feel like that). Taking about features/aspects of the platform that aren't finalized yet like used games and such. Why say anything prior to being able to give concrete info?

I don't think it would have changed anything. The leaks/rumors about always-on were already out there. People hated the TV-centric presentation. Had they said they were still finalizing those details and not commented on them, people would have still jumped to conclusions (leaks, smoke, fire something something) and there'd be a lot of outrage. There had been a lot of complaining about that stuff long before the reveal.

A lot of people have had their minds made up for quite some time. No matter what Microsoft says right now, people are having none of it.
300k servers? Lie.
Opinion that doesn't condemn Microsoft? Apologist who is not to be trusted
Anything cloud? Bullshit.
Shop sets placeholder price? Accepted truth.
Kinect won't be used to snoop or collect personal information and will have good privacy settings? Microsoft is watching you 24/7. Greatest privacy infringement ever.

Just because they didn't go all out in terms of power and sacrificed some speed for packing in Kinect, it's suddenly no longer a real games console. TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, ...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have a friend that picked up a Lumia 520 and loves it but is considering returning it to get a cheap Android phone due to the lack of instagram. Itsdagraph is not available in her region, you guys know any work around for marketplace region issues?

Move to the United States of America? Seriously though, what about the other alternatives? A bunch of them popped up around the same time, itsdagraph was just the best. I think WP central had a list of them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When you setup the account the final checkbox asked something like "Do you want to sync contacts" if you uncheck that it will setup Gmail as 15/30/60/120 minute refresh times. If you keep that checked it sets up gmail with push.

Nope. Selecting google for account setup just asks for username/password. No selection for contacts, just sets up immediately. This is WP7.8. WP8 has that setting though

PG2G

Move to the United States of America? Seriously though, what about the other alternatives? A bunch of them popped up around the same time, itsdagraph was just the best. I think WP central had a list of them.

Yeah, I suggested instagraph as another way to post pigs. Hopefully that one has been published there.

I don't think it would have changed anything. The leaks/rumors about always-on were already out there. People hated the TV-centric presentation. Had they said they were still finalizing those details and not commented on them, people would have still jumped to conclusions (leaks, smoke, fire something something) and there'd be a lot of outrage. There had been a lot of complaining about that stuff long before the reveal.

A lot of people have had their minds made up for quite some time. No matter what Microsoft says right now, people are having none of it.
300k servers? Lie.
Kinect won't be used to snoop or collect personal information and will have good privacy settings? Microsoft is watching you 24/7. Greatest privacy infringement ever.

Just because they didn't go all out in terms of power and sacrificed some speed for packing in Kinect, it's suddenly no longer a real games console. TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, ...

It's funny because people are acting as if they are intelligent because they don't believe the 'lies'. Instead, they are ignorantly pessimistic. Healthy, intelligently framed skepticism is what should be used regarding pr numbers, not outright hostile pessimism. What I thought was an intelligent group of people regarding games has devolved into youthful husks of console spittery. with no actual desire to get to the truth and heart of the industry. The constant bickering for journalists to 'do their job and ask the hard questions' reveals an inability to look at the industry with a balanced mind. So fixated on hatred and disgust, they reveal their inability to adjust their views on a subject matter. Amir0x's posts are the funniest to me, posts so mutated with unspent rage and anger towards something he believes he knows everything about. I'm fine with the posts saying 'we don't want this', we would like 'used games', 'no drm', etc etc. If that's what you want, so be it, but don't act as if they know both sides (how drm might benefit, etc etc). Be vocal in making sure that you support pro-consumer policies. Be skeptical on the plans laid out, but not pessimistic that they offer no benefit whatsoever, especially since we know so little. Be vocally skeptical--maybe you'll make things better. Vocally pessimistic means your voice will be more likely to be ignored. 'KINECTLOL' isn't going to do anything. Fight for why something might benefit you as a gamer, not why its stupid.

ElNino

Nope. Selecting google for account setup just asks for username/password. No selection for contacts, just sets up immediately. This is WP7.8. WP8 has that setting though
I have my 900 (7.8) setup as just Google and I get push, not sure why you would't have the option. After the account is setup you will have the options to sync Email, Contacts and Calendar (I have them all synced if it makes a difference).

MCD

Change Country/Region to USA, download app then revert back?

Or contact the developer on twitter: https://twitter.com/danielgary

maeh2k

What was that Instagram-like app Nokia announced when they revealed the 925? Whatever it is, it was said to be able to post to Instagram and should probably come to the 520.

300k servers? Lie.

Well yeah pretty much.

I'm just saying that contradictory statements made by MS about used games weren't exactly excellent PR.

Some of those are just great lol.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Today I felt my first bit of phone envy since joining the Windows Phone bandwagon (been on since the launch of 7). A couple of guys at work picked up a Jawbone UP, they were hyping it up pretty well and so I decided to check it out but noticed they currently have no plans to release a WP8 version of their app. :(

I am pretty sure that was the first time I have found myself wanting an app that I cannot get on this platform! No big deal I guess, just felt bad at the time.

It's funny because people are acting as if they are intelligent because they don't believe the 'lies'. Instead, they are ignorantly pessimistic. Healthy, intelligently framed skepticism is what should be used regarding pr numbers, not outright hostile pessimism. What I thought was an intelligent group of people regarding games has devolved into youthful husks of console spittery. with no actual desire to get to the truth and heart of the industry. The constant bickering for journalists to 'do their job and ask the hard questions' reveals an inability to look at the industry with a balanced mind. So fixated on hatred and disgust, they reveal their inability to adjust their views on a subject matter. Amir0x's posts are the funniest to me, posts so mutated with unspent rage and anger towards something he believes he knows everything about. I'm fine with the posts saying 'we don't want this', we would like 'used games', 'no drm', etc etc. If that's what you want, so be it, but don't act as if they know both sides (how drm might benefit, etc etc). Be vocal in making sure that you support pro-consumer policies. Be skeptical on the plans laid out, but not pessimistic that they offer no benefit whatsoever, especially since we know so little. Be vocally skeptical--maybe you'll make things better. Vocally pessimistic means your voice will be more likely to be ignored. 'KINECTLOL' isn't going to do anything. Fight for why something might benefit you as a gamer, not why its stupid.

Pretty much agree with every point. Ever since a day or two after the Xbox One reveal I have actively avoided the Gaming side, near enough every thread devolves into bashing the new console. Hell I am only 26 and really liked what they have shown and am looking forward to seeing what they have for E3, but at the moment being on the gaming side makes me feel like an old man.

Anyway.. just picked up Buddha finger seems like a great little game! (Though still holding out for Jetpack Joyride)

zedge

The gaming side has gone full on you know what over the xbone. Its beyond ridiculous. Just avoiding any topics on it. Makes me feel old too. Although I am. ;)

maeh2k

Today I felt my first bit of phone envy since joining the Windows Phone bandwagon (been on since the launch of 7).

Today I got to play around with a Galaxy S4 a bit. Parts of it are kind of neat like hovering your finger over an email in the mail app for additional information without opening the mail. But overall I wasn't impressed. I mostly used the camera today and I found the UI pretty horrible. Things like taking a couple of photos and then browsing through those photos is much more seamless and intuitive on Windows Phone. A couple of times I just pressed the home button and relaunched the camera because I ended up in the wring view. Taking a photo by tapping what you want to focus on also takes some getting used to.
Still pretty happy with my Optimus 7 ^^

I'm going to switch Mobile Phone Providers in July so I can get a Windows Phone.

Should I got Nokia 928+Verizon or Nokia 925+T-Mobile?

I like how the 925 looks, not so plasticy, but the camera and how it curves out looks so ugly on the back.

The 928 looks overall better, but it looks like plastic. Which is better?

Today I got to play around with a Galaxy S4 a bit. Parts of it are kind of neat like hovering your finger over an email in the mail app for additional information without opening the mail. But overall I wasn't impressed. I mostly used the camera today and I found the UI pretty horrible. Things like taking a couple of photos and then browsing through those photos is much more seamless and intuitive on Windows Phone. A couple of times I just pressed the home button and relaunched the camera because I ended up in the wring view. Taking a photo by tapping what you want to focus on also takes some getting used to.
Still pretty happy with my Optimus 7 ^^

That's typically how I take my photos with WP.

But I guess that's the only way to take photos on the Galaxy?

maeh2k

That's typically how I take my photos with WP.

But I guess that's the only way to take photos on the Galaxy?

No, actually it's a bit different. If you just tap a spot it doesn't immediately take a photo. Seems like on the iPhone where you tap to focus, but then tap the trigger to take the photo. If you want to directly take a photo by tapping, you have hold the spot for some time and then let go. Maybe it takes some getting used to to get the timing right, but in the time I used it I found it annoying. At times it didn't take a photo when I wanted to and at other times I took two photos in succession.
I never liked on-screen buttons to take photos. I prefer either using a physical button or tapping once on where you want to focus. This seemed more cumbersome to me.

Edit: also the back button on the phone wasn't illuminated in camera mode and it's on the right side. So instead of 'back', I'd just press home and relaunch the camera.

No, actually it's a bit different. If you just tap a spot it doesn't immediately take a photo. Seems like on the iPhone where you tap to focus, but then tap the trigger to take the photo. If you want to directly take a photo by tapping, you have hold the spot for some time and then let go. Maybe it takes some getting used to to get the timing right, but in the time I used it I found it annoying. At times it didn't take a photo when I wanted to and at other times I took two photos in succession.
I never liked on-screen buttons to take photos. I prefer either using a physical button or tapping once on where you want to focus. This seemed more cumbersome to me.

Edit: also the back button on the phone wasn't illuminated in camera mode and it's on the right side. So instead of 'back', I'd just press home and relaunch the camera.

Oh that sounds pretty annoying.

-----------------------

Also, Facebook notifications? What is happening?!?!
wp_ss_20130528_0001.png

300k servers? Lie.

I agree with you on all points, except for the privacy. While I don't think they'll monitor your living room, MS is one of the last companies that can be trusted with privacy.

Heretic

The gaming side has gone full on you know what over the xbone. Its beyond ridiculous. Just avoiding any topics on it. Makes me feel old too. Although I am. ;)

:lol, me too

Same here. Turning 30 in August. At this point in my life, for me, all of that stuff is irrelevant. I understand the complaints. I don't understand the vitriol and outrage. The Xbox One is a day 1 purchase for me.

No one wants to wait for E3. Since when do companies announce all of their plans when asked by the media? Never. They're so impatient and frothing at the mouth to find things to hate on. Relax, people.

I keep hearing about this Xbox One PR nightmare on GAF. However, doesn't seemed to have filtered down to average consumer. They all seem pretty pumped.

I trust MS more than Apple and Google combined.

I don't know, man. Do Google and Apple [URL="http://www.theunwired.net/?item=surveillance-microsoft-restricted-windows-phone-7-skydrive-access-because-of-uploaded-nudes]scan your cloud storage for "inappropriate" pictures and delete them, maybe even close your account[/URL]?

MCD

At least I don't bother worrying about any of this. To me, I don't really think that there should be any need to be paranoid...

I don't usually care if it's big companies like Apple, Google or MS. I get more paranoid with smaller ones and especially whenever an app ask for information that it doesn't need (for example, there is a flashlight app that needs permission to my location and other info on the WP store, seriously now).

Doffen

Rayman Jungle Run to be todays XBLA game only for WP8.

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK — May 29th, 2013 - Today, Ubisoft announces that after more than 1,800,000 downloads on iOS, Android & Windows 8, critically acclaimed Rayman Jungle Run keeps expanding on new platforms with its release on devices supporting Windows Phone 8.

The game can be downloaded from the Windows Phone Store and will feature all the content from the original game, including the ‘Potpourri’ level update. Additionally, an update including 2 original environments, Giant Plant and Pirate Ship, with 10 new levels each will be available on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 in June.

Rayman Jungle Run is powered by the same UbiArt Framework engine that brought to players Rayman Origins. It is easy for all ages to pick up and play, but challenging for the longtime Rayman fans to master.
The game is now available for any device operated by iOS, Android, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

Doffen

I don't know, man. Do Google and Apple [URL="http://www.theunwired.net/?item=surveillance-microsoft-restricted-windows-phone-7-skydrive-access-because-of-uploaded-nudes]scan your cloud storage for "inappropriate" pictures and delete them, maybe even close your account[/URL]?

Mr. Glass Half Empty.

Milchjon

But I saw the commercials! On my TV!

hadareud

The Translator
I'm not seeing them yet.

Personally I am disappointed that there's no plugins that allow you to do away with such unfortunate things on Windows Phone. Not that I would openly discuss this on Neogaf, because obviously you're not allowed to talk about *******.

Else you could have to go the way of a website that publishes an article that someone doesn't agree with.

edit: I may have to stop reading the gaming side again, it's not good for me.

Cisco is filing complain in EU, regarding Microsoft and Skype creating monopoly. What with you guys in EU and determination to destroy poor little Microsoft?

It's funny to see Google with 65% + marketshare in both search and mobile OS yet no one seems to think that is a cause for concern.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Cisco is filing complain in EU, regarding Microsoft and Skype creating monopoly. What with you guys in EU and determination to destroy poor little Microsoft?

It's funny to see Google with 65% + marketshare in both search and mobile OS yet no one seems to think that is a cause for concern.
I think the EU is investigating google already.

Nero3000

Guys, a friend of min has an 8S which is running low on storage.

HE says he has an SD card in there. Considering im still rocking a lumia 800, does anyone have any advice to claw back some space?

kharma45

HE says he has an SD card in there. Considering im still rocking a lumia 800, does anyone have any advice to claw back some space?

Stick any music, videos and pictures onto the SD card. Bar that, not much else can be done unless he starts deleting apps or games.

hwalker84

Its the onboard storage that's getting low. Not the SDcard. Unfortunately unlike our Lumia's and the storage checker app. HTC doesn't give a shit and he's screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom