• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
It's happening.

4SFzB2B.jpg

Your thoughts, Brot?

...What is that from?

It's happening.

4SFzB2B.jpg

Your thoughts, Brot?

Oh, man. I was wrong about getting rid of the gutter, so I am going to give this a chance. Which phone is that in the foreground? Trying to get an idea of the size...

I just really, really hope they don't pull an Apple and emphasize this like it's a top tier feature.

ANOTHER ROW!!!

Oh, man. I was wrong about getting rid of the gutter, so I am going to give this a chance. Which phone is that in the foreground? Trying to get an idea of the size...

I just really, really hope they don't pull an Apple and emphasize this like it's a top tier feature.

ANOTHER ROW!!!

It's the HTC One.

maeh2k

It's happening.

4SFzB2B.jpg

That thing is obviously huge. Another column makes more sense to me than scaling up two columns on a 6" phablet. If you cut off the screen after two columns, it'd still be about as big as the HTC One's.
If you don't go overboard with the small tiles, it still looks pretty nice and clean, so I'm all for it. Is that Photos tile L-shaped? What's up with that?

PG2G

Yeah, just making the tiles bigger would probably look silly. I don't think there was any choice other than adding an additional column.

That thing is obviously huge. Another column makes more sense to me than scaling up two columns on a 6" phablet. If you cut off the screen after two columns, it'd still be about as big as the HTC One's.
If you don't go overboard with the small tiles, it still looks pretty nice and clean, so I'm all for it. Is that Photos tile L-shaped? What's up with that?

It would look silly on sub-5" phones with 1080p screens (like the HTC One).

Magni

No, it's

Code:
[Pictures        ][contact]
[drive  ][transit][people ]

Milchjon

The 620 with a blue shell looks pretty damn good in person. Currently trying to convince my mom that it would be the perfect first smartphone for her :-D

maeh2k

The 620 with a blue shell looks pretty damn good in person. Currently trying to convince my mom that it would be the perfect first smartphone for her :-D

Shouldn't be too hard. The 520 and 620 are really ideal candidates for first-time smartphone users. Nice design, too.

dLMN8R

The extra column also makes more sense if you consider the fact that the phone supports leaving blank "holes" too, so you can space things out however you want.

Milchjon

Shouldn't be too hard. The 520 and 620 are really ideal candidates for first-time smartphone users. Nice design, too.

She's in her late fifties and struggling with the concept of a touch screen phone as a whole :-D Whenever my dad hands her his Lumia to show her something, she touches the screen or some button and it's confusing her. I'm still confident she'll get over it. I think maps/navigation is the main appeal for her.

BTW, apart from camer/flash/Here+, what are the differences between the 620 and the 520? I already forgot again.

maeh2k

BTW, apart from camer/flash/Here+, what are the differences between the 620 and the 520? I already forgot again.

FFC, compass, Clearblack display, I think. But the design is nice and the display is slightly larger.

Not sure how big of a deal the compass is. Any issues apart from no Citylens?

If she doesn't have an existing contract there are some good offers for the 520 on Vodafone (Sim-lock with a Vodafone prepaid tariff).

joshschw

A word of warning to those who are planning to order one of the perfect looking and fitting Nokia brand CC-1043 920 cases.

Comes looking all pretty in a nice Nokia box. Looks like this after a week:

Razdek

Banned
She's in her late fifties and struggling with the concept of a touch screen phone as a whole :-D Whenever my dad hands her his Lumia to show her something, she touches the screen or some button and it's confusing her. I'm still confident she'll get over it. I think maps/navigation is the main appeal for her.

I got my mom a 520 and she's struggling with it as she's not used to touch as well. I also got her the blue and yellow back cases and she really liked the blue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I got my mom a 520 and she's struggling with it as she's not used to touch as well. I also got her the blue and yellow back cases and she really liked the blue.

The good thing about WP is at you can set them up so people never need to leave the home screen. Main contacts with photos, email, browser shortcuts to most used websites etc. arguably it's the perfect smartphone for the slightly older person or technophobe (providing they have someone to help set it up for them)

520s are in crazy deals in the uk at the moment. £7.50 per month on Vodafone including some data and minutes. That's cheaper than most sim only deals but you get a free phone!

Heretic

Does anyone know if that Green 920 that's releasing in Australia will work in the states with AT&T? I just might order it for my girlfriend and put her current one on craig's list or something.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Way, way off topic, but I added another member to my Kids Corner yesterday:

fotor__jpg20_zps096b9a2a.jpg

Here's hoping Joe has another feature for children that he spends half the Windows Phone conference on, lol.

Milchjon

wpcentral has some rumors on EOS:

• 41 MP camera with Xenon flash
  • Nokia Pro Camera
  • 32 GB internal
  • OLED Screen 768X1280
  • WP8 V 8.0.10322.71
  • FM radio
  • Flip to silence
  • Polycarbonate body
  • Takes a 35 MP picture and a 5 MP picture at the same time one to save one to share
  • Comes in yellow
  • No SD card
  • About 1 mm thinner than Lumia 920 with a big camera hump
  • No visible OS changes

dat resolution :-(

Milchjon

They also say Snapchat is coming:

We’ve heard from various sources that an official Snapchat app is due to land on Windows Phone around mid to late July, to coincide with another high-profile Nokia announcement (think of a certain phone we’ve talked about today).

Plus a third party version that seems to be perfect for creepers:

One of those in development is Swapchat, made by two developers under SRC Apps. The app is in private beta now and it works, basically, as advertised. You can register, add contacts and yes, send photos (if the other party is on iOS and Android, it will notify you that they screen cap’d the image, but not vice versa). Notifications don't yet work, but we'll chalk that up to being a beta

MCD

Speaking of Kids Corner, any way to disable the touch buttons (Start, Back and Search)?

It's a real pain for children.

Speaking of Kids Corner, any way to disable the touch buttons (Start, Back and Search)?

It's a real pain for children.

Grats Van to your new addition.

I thought those buttons are disable in Kid's corner, that's why they are great to use as game mode.

MCD

Grats Van to your new addition.

I thought those buttons are disable in Kid's corner, that's why they are great to use as game mode.

Upon further testing, Search is disabled and back is only relevant to the game.

But the damn Windows button still works. My brother's kid loves to mess with this button.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So ho does Instance/Itsdagram compare to the official app for Android and iOS with regards to design and features.

Also I think Rudy Hyun who makes TVShow, Wikipedia and Fuse is making a Vine app.

hwalker84

wpcentral has some rumors on EOS:
•41 MP camera with Xenon flash
•Nokia Pro Camera
•32 GB internal
•OLED Screen 768X1280
•WP8 V 8.0.10322.71
•FM radio
•Flip to silence
•Polycarbonate body
•Takes a 35 MP picture and a 5 MP picture at the same time one to save one to share
•Comes in yellow
•No SD card
•About 1 mm thinner than Lumia 920 with a big camera hump
•No visible OS changes

dat resolution :-(
Dat resolution better not be true. Ultra disappointing!!

frontieruk

I'd wait for the final spec's, most of the other trickery looks like Nokia's free reign with the OS so they could be testing hardware early, if it's shipping with the next big update we know 1080p will be support due to HTC wanting that support, it's if MS has actually shipped that code yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom