• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Verge gave the 928s ecosystem a 6!

insert It's happening GIF.

stop it. It's almost as if the verge actually isn't crazily biased!?

I do enjoy a lot of their criticism, even if I disagree with their opinions on a lot of things. They cater to a crowd, but they definitely seem genuine in their views.

frontieruk

I gotta say, you had the last laugh on the thread they gave you a tag for. Whatever mod gave you that tag got owned.

I'm a bit gutted that the ps3 won't quite catch the Wii, I think its going to fall about 7mill short, but if it does I'd probably end up getting myself banned for going batshit insane telling them I told them so ;)

I was just happy for the tag lol

I think gaming side is going to have a hard time at the start of the new gen, MS is going to be pricing aggressively, they have their credit purchase system with the you have to pay for live for x years but get the console cheap, but I imagine closer to launch details of deals via cable providers to be announced.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
stop it. It's almost as if the verge actually isn't crazily biased!?

I do enjoy a lot of their criticism, even if I disagree with their opinions on a lot of things. They cater to a crowd, but they definitely seem genuine in their views.

Just having fun :)

Itsdagram (or Instance, which it will soon be called) must have tipped the scale ;)

Things are getting better and it is nice to see the score reflect that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rayman is available in the marketplace now. It was at the front end of the marketplace. Awesome game. Probably one of the best looking games on WP8.

maeh2k

Cisco is filing complain in EU, regarding Microsoft and Skype creating monopoly. What with you guys in EU and determination to destroy poor little Microsoft?

It's funny to see Google with 65% + marketshare in both search and mobile OS yet no one seems to think that is a cause for concern.

Wonder what Skype is doing to deserve the complaints. Just getting a monopoly in something is in itself not a problem.
Maybe if Apple's Facetime and Google's Hangout (and previous solutions) tried to be even half as platform-agnostic as Skype, the situation would be different...

hadareud

The Translator
Rayman is worth it. I got it again even though I already had it on Android, but playing it on a nice big HD display on the 920 with achievements is a lot better.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Being outside of America, I hope that podcast support got fixed. Gave up on updating through itunes and picked up podcast lounge. But I would rather just have podcasts work from the music player.

Supposedly with the next WP8 update international podcast support is supposed to added. Hopefully this includes Canada.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Expanded podcast support. Support for iTunes podcasts has been a useful feature in the preview versions of the app, but many people get their podcasts from other sources. Now, as long as your podcasts are saved in a folder, you can automatically sync them to your phone.

Anybody know how this work? I'd like to be able to download my podcasts on the PC and sync them over, but the old system with this app was horrible at managing my feeds.

Anybody know how this work? I'd like to be able to download my podcasts on the PC and sync them over, but the old system with this app was horrible at managing my feeds.

It SOUNDS like, if you have Podcasts in your music library somewhere/in a folder, they will sync to your phone, whether or not you use iTunes or something else to get them.

Speaking of all this--does anyone have a robust understanding of music syncing/management with Xbox Music? I loved Zune and am hoping to emulate this behavior from WP7:

-I can download music from Zune to my local machine and choose whether or not it syncs with my phone
-I can download music to my phone from the store, and when I connect my phone to my computer, any new music from my phone is synced/transferred to my local machine

I don't even want to think about all the cloud shit.

You running Windows 8 with Xbox Music, or still on Windows 7 with Zune?

Win 8 with Xbox Music, though I use Zune to download my 10 free songs (grandfather'd plan).

With all the new options available (updates to app, Xbox Cloud, sync to any device, etc.), I have never taken the time to sit down and look at my options/organize.

hwalker84

Win 8 with Xbox Music, though I use Zune to download my 10 free songs (grandfather'd plan).

With all the new options available (updates to app, Xbox Cloud, sync to any device, etc.), I have never taken the time to sit down and look at my options/organize.

The sync app is absolute trash and I have to use Windows Media Player to even get close to Zune's functionality.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Holy crap Rayman Jungle Run is awesome! It runs so smoothly and looks beautiful on the 920 screen! Not only that the game is also quite fun, perfect length levels for a mobile game. Well worth the price of entry.

kharma45

Green 920 on the way to Australia

SSg0C8s.png

http://www.wpcentral.com/green-nokia-lumia-920-australia

hwalker84

I hope Nokia saves us with a sync app. Microsoft's is absolute shit and it's embarrassing. I recommended a Lumia 928 to a friend. He finally got it Tuesday and calls me asking why Zune doesn't work. I explain he needs the sync app. He calls me back an hour later telling me how awful it is.

MCD

I hope Nokia saves us with a sync app. Microsoft's is absolute shit and it's embarrassing. I recommended a Lumia 928 to a friend. He finally got it Tuesday and calls me asking why Zune doesn't work. I explain he needs the sync app. He calls me back an hour later telling me how awful it is.

We ran out of time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got my hopes up when I read the post above talking about an update, but its still a crappy sync tool and an order of magnitude worse than Zune.

hwalker84

Funny how it took this long just to get it out if beta status. Lol

Microsoft "Well we made a sync app several orders of magnitude worse that what we had before and everyone hates it. Let's add none of the requested features we previously had and remove the beta label! Also we'll direct users to use Apple's iTunes for some of the management we had previously instead of make the product we currently invested time and resources "Zune" work with WP8"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Verge has a great article about Windows 8.1. They also mention some stuff that will extend to WP like syncing with IE11 and better search integration.

PG2G

The Verge has a great article about Windows 8.1. They also mention some stuff that will extend to WP like syncing with IE11 and better search integration.

Microsoft is also building in a Reading List function into the Share Charm for Windows 8.1. "Think of it as a place to save rich bookmarks that I want to get back to, for the entire PC," explains Harris. It's basically an extended clipboard for Windows, but it will let 8.1 users save sections within applications across all PCs. This will also eventually be available on Windows Phone in future.

Sounds interesting. Like Instapaper but a step beyond because it isn't just for web.

zorbsie

Do you need some Duracell AA batteries?

Energizer. C'mon son. lol

I tried out the RTM WP8 desktop client. Works now.

VanMardigan: I put podcast files in my podcast folder within my libraries folder. Changed the sync settings from itunes to windows libraries and the client saw the files. Then it was as simple as selecting and syncing them. Now I just need simple software to download all my podcasts to that directory. Really hated using itunes for this.

PG2G

In Xbox Music on Windows 8, there should be an option to automatically download songs you have downloaded on other devices. I'm at work so I forget the exact text, but that should do what you want... just through the cloud instead of direct transfer from phone.

As for selective synching... I use drag and drop onto the phone so it doesn't get anymore selective than that. It is a definite step back though lol. Actually... I have always had a problem copying DRM music to my phone from the computer, so that might not be an option for stuff you downloaded from Xbox Music.

In Xbox Music on Windows 8, there should be an option to automatically download songs you have downloaded on other devices. I'm at work so I forget the exact text, but that should do what you want... just through the cloud instead of direct transfer from phone.

As for selective synching... I use drag and drop onto the phone so it doesn't get anymore selective than that. It is a definite step back though lol. Actually... I have always had a problem copying DRM music to my phone from the computer, so that might not be an option for stuff you downloaded from Xbox Music.

Yeah, I enabled that setting when it came out the other month, but songs I have downloaded to my phone still aren't showing in Xbox Music. Damn.

PG2G

Yeah, I enabled that setting when it came out the other month, but songs I have downloaded to my phone still aren't showing in Xbox Music. Damn.

Not too surprised, Xbox Music is trash. Maybe Cloud Collection needs to be enabled? I hope they do some major rework on this thing for 'Blue'

Neowin review of the WP8 sync tool 1.0:

Final thoughts

Until Microsoft announced this tool was out of beta, I had totally forgotten about it and for good reason. When I looked at this in depth when Windows Phone 8 was released it was even more bare bones than now. I have been unhappily adding podcasts and music and videos manually via Explorer since then.

The Zune desktop client that came before this was lacking many features and needed some updating, but instead it was dropped. Why? There are many users who are crying out for Microsoft to re-engineer it to sync with their latest mobile operating system. A quick look at the comments on the Windows Phone blog shows how much actual users find this sync solution unsatisfactory and unfit for purpose. I have to wonder, am I the only one whose heart sank when I fired up this client?

There are many out there who question why Microsoft didn’t just rebrand the Zune Client Xbox Music. If you’re going to replace something, shouldn’t the replacement be an improvement in some way? Obviously not in this case.

Can we expect Microsoft to turn this bare bones app into anything approaching iTunes or Zune in terms of features? Sadly considering how long it’s taken Microsoft just to get to a final release of this SyncToy with stripes on I won’t hold my breath.

Zune Desktop Client? You are missed.
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-phone-8-syncing-tool-drops-beta-but-is-it-better

Verdict: It still sucks.

hwalker84

Neowin review of the WP8 sync tool 1.0:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-phone-8-syncing-tool-drops-beta-but-is-it-better

Verdict: It still sucks.

More sites need to expose this shit. Some sort of update to the Zune software to make it recognize WP8 and I'm perfectly happy again. The step we've taken backwards is shockingly huge. I still cannot believe I had to bust out the old Windows Media Player!?!?!? Unbelievable!

Don't get me started on that F'ing "Connect with Xbox Music" toggle!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom