• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Dat resolution better not be true. Ultra disappointing!!

I think we knew this. It also won't have a quad core processor. It's still in the same generation as the 920 and that's a shame. I'm guessing we will have to wait for November or maybe even next year for quad core 1080p windows phones, which is a damn shame, and its all Microsoft's fault.

edit: thanks for the congrats guys.

JaggedSac

Grats dude!

As for the EOS, my upgrade is available right around the rumored release, so it will be my next. The specs are plenty for my needs and I want that camera.

JimiNutz

Banned
Why are Nokia so anti Micro SD support?!
32gb just isnt enough! I love music, and I want more than that. 32gb is only about a third of my collection.

hadareud

The Translator
We will. I've heard a very specific rumour about one thing they'll talk about and it's good news, from a development point of view. Can't elaborate unfortunately.

JimiNutz

Banned
Anti SD support? All of their models aside from the 900 series support SD cards iirc.

It's just so strange that their flagship devices don't support SD Cards.
As antiquegamer said, maybe it's a design thing, but you'd think they'd try and somehow include this feature in their flagship devices...

Maybe it doesn't mean much to most, and maybe I'm the odd one out, but large amounts of storage space for my music is really important to me.

Oh well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No, it's not just you. I want SD support as well for music, just pointing out that Nokia is anything but "anti micro SD support".

My dream device has 32gb built in for apps and an SD card slot for music/videos.

hwalker84

Considering that I'm still stuck with an HTC Arrive on Sprint I'll take it without a second thought.

SD card, quad core, and 1080p would take this phone to the big leagues though.

I see this coming out with 920 specs because Microsoft couldn't get support in for HTC One/S4 level hardware in a reasonable amount of time.

Commodore

So weird. My phone hasn't been notifying me when app updates hit, been having to check manually when I hear there's an app update to a specific app, but today I check my phone and notice the store icon has 27 app updates waiting. Haven't the foggiest why they stopped notifying and why it suddenly did. All I know is its app update Christmas.

So weird. My phone hasn't been notifying me when app updates hit, been having to check manually when I hear there's an app update to a specific app, but today I check my phone and notice the store icon has 27 app updates waiting. Haven't the foggiest why they stopped notifying and why it suddenly did. All I know is its app update Christmas.

Hehe. I think it's checked daily or slower.

Commodore

Hehe. I think it's checked daily or slower.

Yeah, if there are updates, the icon usually updates daily. I think I had like two weeks of updates getting blocked up and suddenly let loose.

sidenote: as a result of getting one such update, twabbit incorporating the link to giving you an option to open YouTube links with metrotube, works great. Love that certain apps can talk to one another and make the overall experience better.

sidenote2: also apparently Selesgames, the guys that developed Weave have been working on a google reader alternative web app that'll work much like weave. Exact wording "Apologize for the lack of WP8 app updates - spent the last few months building a robust, fast, scaleable alternative to Google Reader. Good news - v1.0 of the Weave web services are done. Any app on any platform can plug into it and serve news GR style."

Walshicus

Good news for Windows Phone:
image12.png

http://wmpoweruser.com/kantar-in-ap...ighs-in-uk-germany-europe-overall/#more-95705

Interestingly Windows Phone has about 1/3rd the share of iPhone in the EU. Is it now time to laugh at anyone claiming the platform is a failure?

kharma45

Strong UK sales, not surprised as I do see a lot of WP devices around now.

Nice to see continued positive growth in general too.

hadareud

The Translator
Strong numbers all around, very encouraging.

10% by the end of the year in certain big markets like the UK seems possible. Maybe around 7 or 8 in the US.

Might just be the critical mass required to be taken seriously by app developers and the market in general by then.

omg_mjd

Just picked up a red Lumia 720. I wanted the black or blue model but both were sold out.

Really happy with it so far. Almost got the 820 (it was just a bit more expensive) but the slim design of the 720 and its higher cap. battery swayed my decision in the end.

Magni

Good news for Windows Phone:
image12.png

http://wmpoweruser.com/kantar-in-ap...ighs-in-uk-germany-europe-overall/#more-95705

Interestingly Windows Phone has about 1/3rd the share of iPhone in the EU. Is it now time to laugh at anyone claiming the platform is a failure?

Spain is even more Android-land than it used to be, huh. I've always known Japan was a lost cause (a friend of mine has been studying there for the past year, a professor asked them all what OS they had for a phone dev class and she was the only one out of over a hundred with a WP, almost all of them had iPhones), but hopefully things start to grow soon in China. I'd love to see Indian numbers as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All of a sudden, 10% market share by the end of the year in the US doesn't seem so crazy. I'm assuming Samsung and HTC are basically just waiting for MS to update their software support for quad core processors and 1080p so they can release variants of their flagships for the platform. Nokia alone may not be enough to push WP to 10%.

LOL, I am still waiting for them to fix the storage bug so I can turn Skydrive photo back up on along with fixing the annoying podcast bugs where volume get stuck or media not support error and you guys are dreaming about quad core and 41mp camera support. This is Microsoft, late to the party seems to be their mantra.

It has been 6 months shouldn't there be bug patch by now? Oh and video I bought on Xbox (service formerly known as Zune) still not support by Windows Phone.

hadareud

The Translator
PvZ 2 exclusive to iphone.

What in the fuck. First they take forever to make the bloody thing and then they do exclusivity deals. Also, it's free to play, fuck that.

If you guys still feel bad about the app situation on Windows Phone, don't worry. Android is still a 2nd class citizen to most developers. 5-6 months after the initial release on iOS, Twitter finally released the Vine app for Android today. Plants vs Zombies 2 was also announced today and is iOS only so far, with no Android version announced.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think we will miss too much with PvZ2 being FTP.

Rudy Hyuns Vine app should be out very soon. I think the quality of it will be very good.

hadareud

The Translator
F2P is an abomination.

Makes used games DRM look like it was invented by consumers for consumers. I was suckered into paying for coins in Puzzle Craft. Never again. Ever.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It has been 6 months shouldn't there be bug patch by now? Oh and video I bought on Xbox (service formerly known as Zune) still not support by Windows Phone.

The At&T Lumia 920 has gotten three updates that fixed various bugs. Unfortunately, we still have the issues with Bluetooth audio, headphone audio, and podcasts that you mentioned. Some of those have been around since wp7 though, so clearly they are not a priority.

btw, when I get a "can't play file" error, 90% of the time the file will play if I just hit the play button again.

-India has good news for us
-10% by the end of the year in the US is very very doubtful. The subsidization model here makes WP a much less desirable phone than others. This will change as the app story continues to get better and better, but right now of course we are behind iOS/Android in many ways.
-Bluetooth compliance is garbage in many many sectors. Car manufacturers seem to never follow the actual SIG standards, which means that in order to get a Bluetooth stack working everywhere devs have to put in hacks in various ways. Very difficult to test the 1000+ differences between cars :). That being said, there were some stability fixes in Portico that fixed many issues though work is never finished in that area.
-Updating Apps is much easier to distribute than updating the coreOS, which is why sometimes a fix might take longer to hit market than expected. Nokia has much more of an expedited process than WP team does, but I don't really know much about their process. Seeing that 920 firmware release a month or so ago with reception issues makes me think this.
-Cool stuff is always coming, even stuff that I am not allowed to see X_X.

-India has good news for us
-10% by the end of the year in the US is very very doubtful. The subsidization model here makes WP a much less desirable phone than others. This will change as the app story continues to get better and better, but right now of course we are behind iOS/Android in many ways.
-Bluetooth compliance is garbage in many many sectors. Car manufacturers seem to never follow the actual SIG standards, which means that in order to get a Bluetooth stack working everywhere devs have to put in hacks in various ways. Very difficult to test the 1000+ differences between cars :). That being said, there were some stability fixes in Portico that fixed many issues though work is never finished in that area.
-Updating Apps is much easier to distribute than updating the coreOS, which is why sometimes a fix might take longer to hit market than expected. Nokia has much more of an expedited process than WP team does, but I don't really know much about their process. Seeing that 920 firmware release a month or so ago with reception issues makes me think this.
-Cool stuff is always coming, even stuff that I am not allowed to see X_X.

Which is exactly why Microsoft should follow Google and separate the apps from the OS. There's no reason why apps like Mail, Bing, IE or Office should only be updated once a year.

The At&T Lumia 920 has gotten three updates that fixed various bugs. Unfortunately, we still have the issues with Bluetooth audio, headphone audio, and podcasts that you mentioned. Some of those have been around since wp7 though, so clearly they are not a priority.

btw, when I get a "can't play file" error, 90% of the time the file will play if I just hit the play button again.

You mean the patch that need to make the phone actually usable for many? The first patch was push out because the phone keep rebooting for many people, the 2nd patch was push out because it need to fix the bug to LTE that was introduce by the first patch. (though I wish I could go back to the first patch, my signal has gotten worst since the 2nd patch. I don't remember the 3rd patch but if you mean the firmware by Nokia then that just Nokia patch and not Microsoft Windows.

I also run into another bug lately where the podcast (that I subscribe to) would download and stuck in pending. My only solution is to basically unsubscribe to all the podcast and download them manually.

Which is exactly why Microsoft should follow Google and separate the apps from the OS. There's no reason why apps like Mail, Bing, IE or Office should only be updated once a year.

They are not going to do that because Microsoft like to force you into using their software and tie everything to the OS. They could no longer do it on Windows OS because of anti-trust but on mobile they just follow the same outdated idea. Why would people pick Bing or IE if they have other alternatives? (Disclaimer - I have nothing against Bing or IE, I use both). They claim they want to do away with yearly update but here we are stuck in the same cycle.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the WP team just needs to look at W8. Every built in app outside of the store, photos and a few others have had a lot of updates.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I wish it was ONLY through my car. I listen to bluetooth audio through my Nokia Play360 speakers and the bug happens too. Can't raise/lower volume, or no audio after you disconnect. It's a mess, bluetooth on Windows Phone is shit, there's no pinning the blame on everyone else. Ditto for headphone support. MOST headphones don't even offer support for the mic or track skipping on Windows Phone, so I have to pull the call on speaker when using my Sony headphones, and the Nokia one I use causes issues when I pull it out the audio goes crazy. All these issues require reboots, and we're talking about official, high priced accessories from Nokia and Sony. These things should "just work", and they don't.

You mean the patch that need to make the phone actually usable for many?

Yes, those updates. I'm not going to go in circles with you, you said that we hadn't gotten bug fix updates and you're wrong. They just haven't fixed all the bugs, and specifically the ones we are discussing with bluetooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom