• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

:lol I knew you would be the one to make that

It's gonna be spammed to hell once Rambo or Jumbo is announced.

And man, WP devs are BEASTS. Joe Belfiore should do a Ballmer and jump around like a monkey in the next conference to honor them.

I wish it was ONLY through my car. I listen to bluetooth audio through my Nokia Play360 speakers and the bug happens too. Can't raise/lower volume, or no audio after you disconnect. It's a mess, bluetooth on Windows Phone is shit, there's no pinning the blame on everyone else. Ditto for headphone support. MOST headphones don't even offer support for the mic or track skipping on Windows Phone, so I have to pull the call on speaker when using my Sony headphones, and the Nokia one I use causes issues when I pull it out the audio goes crazy. All these issues require reboots, and we're talking about official, high priced accessories from Nokia and Sony. These things should "just work", and they don't.

Yes, those updates. I'm not going to go in circles with you, you said that we hadn't gotten bug fix updates and you're wrong. They just haven't fixed all the bugs, and specifically the ones we are discussing with bluetooth.

Yep, I don't know a whole lot about the Bluetooth sector. What experience I have is with my senior embedded capstone where I was trying to get two Bluetooth devices to talk to each other and via the android stack. What research I did showed how little the hardware manufacturers adhere to the SIG standard, especially the pricy brands. But I do know the Bluetooth team is working nonstop to test devices and hardware out. There's just such a large matrix of devices that it's difficult to easily test them. <Speculation> The issue becomes what BT stack you use and how it's integrated into the OS and hardware on the phone client. This stack changed from 7->Apollo with the NT switch, and I think a lot of the pain has come about because of it. The CE stack probably had 10 years of work integrated with it, whereas the NT stack might not have. </Speculation>

hwalker84

http://wmpoweruser.com/qualcomms-latest-quad-core-processor-supports-windows-phone-8/
Qualcomm has just announced a chipset which is a pretty good fit for these devices, and also confirmed it supports Windows Phone 8.

The Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 400 processors featured a quad-core CPUs with integrated multimode 3G/4G LTE.

In addition to multimode 3G/4G LTE, the processor integrates key modem features including TD-SCDMA, HSPA+ (up to 42Mbps), and multi-SIM capabilities.

The Snapdragon 400 processor will also support multi-SIM capabilities of Dual SIM, Dual Standby and Dual SIM, Dual Active and is optimized to deliver a smooth, graphics-rich gaming experience and provides Miracast™ support for wireless streaming of multimedia content.

The platform also supports a rich set of wireless connectivity functionality including integrated Qualcomm VIVE™ 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, FM and NFC. In addition, it includes the QuickCharge 1.0 feature charges devices up to 40 percent faster than conventional charging methods.

"By offering a multimode 3G/4G LTE variant to Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 tier of processors with quad-core CPUs, we are ensuring that emerging regions are equipped and prepared for the imminent transition to multimode 3G/4G LTE, in addition to being equipped for every major 2G and 3G technology," said Cristiano Amon, executive vice president and co-president of mobile and computing products, Qualcomm Technologies. "Snapdragon 400 processors provide customers with a wide range of innovative smartphones for both the high-volume and mid-tier segments."

The new Snapdragon 400 processor (8926) will be available in late 2013.

hadareud

The Translator
What are you two trying to say? Everyone here convinced me that quad-cores and 1080p displays are bullshit and that no one would need them, so why wouldn't they go with a dual-core SoC and a 720p display?

Wasn't that half a year ago when the best selling phones had 720p displays (or lower res) and (mostly) dual cores?

Anyway, I'd be surprised if the next true Nokia flagship didn't have both a higher resolution display and a quad-core processor. Half a year after Samsung and HTC, but then they do release their flagship phones at the end of the year while Samsung and HTC release them in May/June.

Also, let's not forget that the iphone is in a similar position. Only with a lower resolution display.

Wasn't that half a year ago when the best selling phones had 720p displays (or lower res) and (mostly) dual cores?

No, that was 3 months ago, back in April (after HTC announced the third phone with those specs and Samsung was about to launch the S4). But I'm sure everything is different now and the market has changed rapidly and those specs are much more relevant now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've been pretty consistent that my next phone will be 1080p, and I've said that these new 3d games we have been getting show the need for beefier specs as well.

hadareud

The Translator
No, that was 3 months ago, back in April (after HTC announced the third phone with those specs and Samsung was about to launch the S4). But I'm sure everything is different now and the market has changed rapidly and those specs are much more relevant now.

Well yeah, things have changed. When the Lumia 920 came out it had one of the highest PPI densities on the market iirc. Now it doesn't anymore. Since they don't release a new generation handset twice a year it was obvious that we wouldn't see them catch up again until October or November, no matter the perceived restrictions of WP.

Personally, I still feel 1080p vs 720p or 768p doesn't make too much of a tangible difference on a 4.5 inch screen for me to really care, but what I feel doesn't matter. Specs matter and they also sell phones. For me it makes no difference, because I'm not in the market for a new phone until the end of the year anyway, but for people looking to upgrade now I can see how it would.

When I upgrade at the end of the year I definitely want state of the art specs.

Well yeah, things have changed. When the Lumia 920 came out it had one of the highest PPI densities on the market iirc. Now it doesn't anymore. Since they don't release a new generation handset twice a year it was obvious that we wouldn't see them catch up again until October or November, no matter the perceived restrictions of WP.

Wait, what? I was talking about April 2013, not 2012. Absolutely nothing has changed compared to three months ago. The Lumia 920 lost the highest PPI crown, when HTC released the Butterfly in December 2012, only one month after the 920 came out.

But I'll better stop now, before I'm accused of being a spec whore again.

hadareud

The Translator
Wait, what? I was talking about April 2013, not 2012. Absolutely nothing has changed compared to three months ago. The Lumia 920 lost the highest PPI crown, when HTC released the Butterfly in December 2012, only one month after the 920 came out.

But I'll better stop now, before I'm accused of being a spec whore again.

I know which year we were talking about, but I certainly didn't care about a Japan only phone in December, I don't know who apart from the Japanese would.

The phones that matter are the current flagship releases by HTC, Sony and Samsung. The ones that people actually buy. And they didn't come out until last month, a good 6 months after the 920 was released.

I know which year we were talking about, but I certainly didn't care about a Japan only phone in December, I don't know who apart from the Japanese would.

The phones that matter are the current flagship releases by HTC, Sony and Samsung. The ones that people actually buy. And they didn't come out until last month, a good 6 months after the 920 was released.

The Butterfly was released as Droid DNA in late November 2012 in the US, the Galaxy S4 was available in late April and so was the HTC One. Sony's 1080p phone, the Xperia Z, was released in February in Japan and then later in Europe.

Just because some phones are late in the US, because of the usual carrier bullshit, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

hadareud

The Translator
Fair enough.

I still think that not having a 1080p screen wasn't really relevant in February or April (end of April is a month ago, btw), while it is now.

Anyway, I fear that for those that want bleeding edge specs, Windows Phone is not the right platform. Nor is iPhone, for that matter.

Fair enough.

I still think that not having a 1080p screen wasn't really relevant in February or April (end of April is a month ago, btw), while it is now.

Anyway, I fear that for those that want bleeding edge specs, Windows Phone is not the right platform. Nor is iPhone, for that matter.

I can only repeat what I said back in April. I'm not a spec whore, I don't care about specs, nor do I care about the number of apps. I had a better user experience with my 1 GHz single-core, 512 MB RAM Windows Phone than I do now with my Galaxy Nexus and Android 4.2 (and I get really jealous whenever a friend plays with his 920). But saying that specs don't matter and that it's irrelevant to have the latest and greatest hardware as soon as possible, is nonsense.

To increase market share and gain momentum (I love that word), it's important to have great, flexible hardware support and letting OEMs and carriers compete with it.

Then again, it doesn't explain why the fuck Nokia released only one 720p+ phone so far (excluding the other 920 variants). The Lumia 720 with a 720p screen and 1GB RAM for $299 would've been PERFECT.

Completely unrelated, but this is way overdue.

Halo: Spartan Assault is a top-down shooter that's exclusive to Windows 8

Halo is going mobile with Halo: Spartan Assault, a new game in the franchise bound exclusively for Windows 8 tablets, smartphones and PCs.

Developed by Vanguard Games (Gatling Gears, Greed Corp) and 343 Industries, Halo: Spartan Assault is a twin-stick-style, top-down arcade shooter that, over the course of 25 missions, will recreate classic battles fought by the UNSC. The Windows 8 game will be set between the events of Halo 3 and Halo 4, touching on the early days of the Spartan Ops program.

Players will battle Covenant forces as either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis in "never-before-seen" battles, Microsoft says. Fleshing out Spartan Assault's narrative will be a comic book mini-series from Dark Horse Comics titled Halo: Initiation which serves as a prologue to the spin-off game.

While we didn't get a chance to play Spartan Assault on the smaller screen of a phone, 343 Industries had a build of the game running on a Nokia Lumia 928. The version targeted for phones modifies its control layout slightly, with the intent of making twin-stick control easier with less real estate.

Unfortunately, Spartan Assault will not be a universal app for Windows 8 devices. Like previous device Windows 8 games, each version (PC, tablet and phone) will be sold separately. Players will be able to take advantage of WIndows 8's "play, pause, resume" feature, however, picking up on one device where they left off on another.

Halo: Spartan Assault will be released for Windows 8 tablets, phones and personal computers in July for $6.99.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/4/4392674/halo-spartan-assault-windows-8

Other franchises should follow asap, and I'm not talking about stuff like Fable Coin Golf.

Finally Halo is coming to WP!

iOS port in 1 month, Android port in 3 months!

Milchjon

Good news, everyone!!!

l1QZFvc.jpg

(McDonald's Germany is teasing a WP app on Facebook)

Who needs anything else?

Edit: Screw Halo, this is the true Megaton.

kharma45

There's no sense of quality at that shithole. Just look at the design. It's pure crap. The guy who runs it is a deluded and mad fanboy. I mean, fuck, he wrote in a blog post that a journalist should kill himself, after the guy criticized WP or a Lumia. All he cares about is the ad money from clicks and the bought promotions by small and shitty developers.

I had forgotten he had written that. Surely after all this time though he's bound to have made some money from it, money that could be used to pay a competent designer. The content is another matter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom