• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
That's not really important though, Apple fans will not jump off their platform anyway and nothing Microsoft can do will change that.

Either way, yesterday's even has (again) shown that they need to speed the fuck up and not only include (some of) the features that people have requested, but to also innovate and introduce their own. Big features, cool features, features I .. I mean we ... approve of.

Q2 2014 is too late, unless GDR3 brings some really big improvements first. Early 2014, as in January or February, is the latest they can leave it to imo.

Until then they have to let Nokia grow the market and hope they do a very good job at that.

For me it'll come down to which ever company has the best smartwatch/wearable later this year. My phone is primarily a conduit for notifications and I'm tired of turning on the screen all the damn time. Microsoft/Nokia is creating a smartwatch this year, right? This is their chance to catch up with Apple and Android.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think they'll be big either, but I've come around to the idea that I could possibly be persuaded otherwise.

Half a year ago I'd have said the same thing though.

Totakeke

Most of it feels like they're just desperate to look for the next big thing. It's always possible there's no next big thing in the world for the near future.

MarkusRJR

Just bought 12 WP8 games. So good. Honestly having so much fun with this phone. Crimson Dragon, ilomilo, Skulls of the Shogun, Jetpack Joyride, Mirror's Edge, and so on.

So fucking good, especially on my Ativ S' screen. Any WP8 gaming thread on GAF?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought 12 WP8 games. So good. Honestly having so much fun with this phone. Crimson Dragon, ilomilo, Skulls of the Shogun, Jetpack Joyride, Mirror's Edge, and so on.

So fucking good, especially on my Ativ S' screen. Any WP8 gaming thread on GAF?

Nice. There is a thread, but it is not very active. Usually just game announcements. I need to play more Crimson Dragon.

Gotta keep some hope alive in this thread.

False hope is worse than no hope at all. See The Dark Knight Rises for further information.

In unrelated news, Apple is talking about true multitasking in iOS 7. I just hope they are ready for what that actually entails. Android users have had to cope with true multitasking for a long time now and are used to watching every new app they install under a microscope for signs of a draining battery. I don't think the 1400 mAh battery in iPhone is ready for this.

In all seriousness, iOS 7 actually looks like a pretty big change under the hood if multitasking is now unlocked for all apps, in addition to the dramatic de-skeumorphing of the entire UI. MS doesn't even seem to realize that not only has the door closed on their opportunity to regain relevance in mobile, but that Google and Apple are busy barricading the door, installing sensor trip wires around it, installing automatic cannons which fire on anything that approaches it, and also putting up a large KEEP OUT sign on the door. I mean, can MS actually be any slower at improving Windows Phone at this point?

stktt

Banned
False hope is worse than no hope at all. See The Dark Knight Rises for further information.

In unrelated news, Apple is talking about true multitasking in iOS 7. I just hope they are ready for what that actually entails. Android users have had to cope with true multitasking for a long time now and are used to watching every new app they install under a microscope for signs of a draining battery. I don't think the 1400 mAh battery in iPhone is ready for this.

In all seriousness, iOS 7 actually looks like a pretty big change under the hood if multitasking is now unlocked for all apps, in addition to the dramatic de-skeumorphing of the entire UI. MS doesn't even seem to realize that not only has the door closed on their opportunity to regain relevance in mobile, but that Google and Apple are busy barricading the door, installing sensor trip wires around it, installing automatic cannons which fire on anything that approaches it, and also putting up a large KEEP OUT sign on the door. I mean, can MS actually be any slower at improving Windows Phone at this point?

Don't jinx us.

Did he just argue that Windows Phone is now irrelevant because iOS dropped skeuomorphism?

You're a funny guy, unknown soldier.

Am I? iOS looks closer to Windows Phone than ever before, not that it's very close but still. Jony Ive's iOS is really following the motif of flat design and solid colors now, does that sound familiar to you at all?

Also, my main argument was about multitasking. Android, iOS, and Blackberry all have it now.

Totakeke

I don't think anyone went into Windows Phone just because it didn't have skeuomorphism and had pseudo-multitasking man.

The metro side of Windows 8 had actual side-by-side multitasking and most people hardly gave a shit.

Well, a big part of why I went with Windows 8 was because iOS felt old and janky and live tiles and flat design was a new sleek hotness. Maybe I would have stayed with this new iOS design, it looks nice, but I like the live tiles better still, iOS 7 is still just a grid of icons.

hadareud

The Translator
Either way it's time for MS to pull their finger out and push Windows Phone forward with Blue.

I don't see how the new stuff that Apple introduced affects WP in the slightest until then. It's not like people were switching from iPhone to Windows Phone in droves until now because of the lack of a metro style calculator and because the icons weren't flat enough.

edit: apart from TheBryan ;)

Milchjon

Either way it's time for MS to pull their finger out and push Windows Phone forward with Blue.

I don't see how the new stuff that Apple introduced affects WP in the slightest until then. It's not like people were switching from iPhone to Windows Phone in droves until now because of the lack of a metro style calculator and because the icons weren't flat enough.

For me, the flat, typography based design was one of the biggest draws.

I still think there are a lot of principles that make WP better (pin to start, Live Tiles, hubs...), and there are a few things that still put me off about the iOS7 design (the weird aero effect, for example), but for many of the core apps it's a huge step forward from "my eyes" to "I've seen this before".

hadareud

The Translator
No I didn't mean that the design didn't draw people, it does.

The reason I wanted a Windows Phone was my Zune HD - I absolutely loved it and its interface. Ever since then I was just biding my time until I thought WP was ready, which with WP8 I think it is.

What I meant was that most of the Apple users weren't the least bit bothered by its design, I think most of them still love it. And you can tell by the update - it's not flat and minimalistic like Windows Phone. It's just a bit flatter than before and more colourful.

At the end of the day it's neither here or there in my opinion. It doesn't come close to something like metro, even though they tried in places. They were afraid to try to hard, though. And it shows.

Magni

My next phone will be either an iPhone or a Lumia, and hardware and software design are pretty much at the top of my list of priorities. Of course so is glance-able information and price, so it's still looking like I'll end up with a Lumia to replace my aging Omnia 7.

How long will Apple avoid glanceable info via widgets or live tiles? Its such an obvious deficit of their OS.

What are you talking about? They just updated the clock app icon so that it shows the current time.

todeXit.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Smartwatches will never take off. It doesn't offer any significant increase in functionality.

I don't think they'll be big either, but I've come around to the idea that I could possibly be persuaded otherwise.

Half a year ago I'd have said the same thing though.

I have a Pebble. Recently leaks (and APIs from WWDC) strongly suggest that Apple will get out an iWatch soon. I think this accessory is going to be as big as earphones are now for smartphones.

What are you talking about? They just updated the clock app icon so that it shows the current time.

Yeah now they have two clocks on the homescreen. Besides the one on the lockscreeen.

good lord that is horrid. why the gradients? urgh. i'm a huge fan of certain elements of microsoft's ui design and google are getting a lot better, particularly with their flat icons for the play store etc. but this is hideous. apple do a lot of thing so right design wise but this isn't one of them.
the direction of the gradients aren't even consistent, gargrhtodgssghtygrg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
good lord that is horrid. why the gradients? urgh. i'm a huge fan of certain elements of microsoft's ui design and google are getting a lot better, particularly with their flat icons for the play store etc. but this is hideous. apple do a lot of thing so right design wise but this isn't one of them.

Yeah, that doesn't look good.

It reminds me of when I discovered gradients on my very first computer. GRADIENTS FOR EVERYONE

To be fair, if you use a dark background, it looks like a decent Android theme.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm getting a touchwizean vibe from some of those icons, especially the green ones. Through all the deep flaws, though, I much prefer it to look like an elegant android skin than IOS6.

Zeknurn

Has there been any news of the update for WhatsApp coming out? The current version is starting to piss me off in that it doesn't notify me when it gets new messages for some contacts.

Milchjon

Still slide side ways i believe, but it is more like WP than iOS6.

Just looked it up. Slide to the right, when there's a small arrow pointing up at th bottom (for the control center?). That's dumb and I wonder how they let that slip through.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So how do Apple fanboys defend the two clocks and the slide sideways despite having an up arrow? Is there some sort of deep design philosophy I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom