• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

So how do Apple fanboys defend the two clocks and the slide sideways despite having an up arrow? Is there some sort of deep design philosophy I'm missing?

The slide up arrow is for the control panel, I think. There's a similar arrow for the notification center at the top, I think.

It's still unintuitive.

The slide up arrow is for the control panel, I think. There's a similar arrow for the notification center at the top, I think.

It's still unintuitive.

It's not that bad.

k-bigpic.gif

Like I said, you can use the entire screen now.

this_guy

Quoting myself, hopefully someone can answer some of my questions:

Sprint is letting me out of my contract, and I'm considering getting a Windows phone or sticking with Android and getting a Nexus 4. Few questions:

1 - Nokia exclusive apps such as their navigation, ESPN, and ESPN fantasy football are these timed exclusives or do they eventually make it to other manufacturers after 6 months or so. I'm considering maybe an HTC 8x as I can find these on Craigslist at a pretty good price without a contract.

2 - I use Google Talk and GroupMe on Android for messaging. I remember seeing Groupme in app store when I had an HTC Radar. Is there a solution for Google Talk? There was talk of Microsoft integrating Google Talk with Outlook - has this made it's way into Windows Phone 8? What about the issue of messenger services not updating their live tiles/not receiving notifications - did this ever get resolved?

3 - Nokia 920, I remember reading early on that the phone was rebooting on its own and sometimes battery would drain for no reason. Did these issues get resolved through some of the smaller updates?

Cipherr

Is there a date or expected time for the next Windows Phone major update? We got nothing in terms of really new exciting stuff for mobile OS's out of WWDC. Just stuff the other OS's are already doing.

kharma45

Is there a date or expected time for the next Windows Phone major update? We got nothing in terms of really new exciting stuff for mobile OS's out of WWDC. Just stuff the other OS's are already doing.

GDR2 is gonna be the summer at some stage as Nokia is bringing their Amber update then too.

giga

Windows Phone 9 is expected in 2014 and will have a notification center and folders.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Quoting myself, hopefully someone can answer some of my questions:

I responded to you during E3 and lost my whole post. :(

Here's a second try:

1 - Nokia exclusive apps such as their navigation, ESPN, and ESPN fantasy football are these timed exclusives or do they eventually make it to other manufacturers after 6 months or so.

Unfortunately, not always. The ESPN fantasy football app never made it out of exclusivity. Others who make it out are well after a 6 month period. Still others, like ESPN, have concurrent versions where the Nokia only version gets more updates. Nokia=Windows Phone. I don't recommend anything other than a Nokia to anyone looking at the platform.

2 - What about the issue of messenger services not updating their live tiles/not receiving notifications - did this ever get resolved?

Skype/Messenger and Facebook chat are integrated into the OS, everything else is still external. They improved the API's for messaging a ton, but some third party apps still lag in notifications and sending/receiving messages. It may have more to do with the devs than the platform at this point, who knows. It's better than WP7.5 overall though for sure. Live tiles get stuck sometimes still, IMO less often on Apollo.

3 - Nokia 920, I remember reading early on that the phone was rebooting on its own and sometimes battery would drain for no reason. Did these issues get resolved through some of the smaller updates?

Not everyone got all of those issues in the first place (I didn't, for example), so it was never a universal thing, but yeah, Nokia has released 3 or so patches alongside OS patch updates and while you'll probably find some users complaining about issues, it would be no different than any other phone on any other platform.

Hope that helps.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think that was sarcasm.

I was actually trying to recall if WP7 launched with that animation. It was a serious question, lol. He threw me off. Cause I can tell you that Gruber genuinely believes Apple came up with that, because obviously only Apple designers would be that clever:

gruber said:
But if you do just tap on it, which is an obvious thing to try, you get a clever hint: the lock screen playfully jumps and bounces, suggesting visually that you can slide it upward. It’s not a gesture — you can’t swipe upwards from anywhere on the lock screen to invoke the shortcut — it’s a visual on-screen touch control. And it’s one of my favorite little touches from Apple in recent memory.

Milchjon

What's that Gruber dude's claim to fame anyway? All the little quotes I've read from him over the years make him sound like an idiot with the biggest blinders ever. Is he a journalist? If so, how can he subsist off stuff that's barely more informed or eloquent than your average forum post?

I guess I must be missing something.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Whatever gruber's appeal is (and I don't see it either), several gaffers take their marching orders directly from him. One of the following quotes is from a well-known gaffer, the other from Gruber. I'll let you guess which is which:

iOS 7 is anything but flat. It is three dimensional not just visually but logically. It uses translucency not to show off, but to provide you with a sense of place.

The Vista comparisons in regards to transparency are a bit off. Vista did it for no reason. They already showed a few great uses in iOS 7 to help users visualize the layers and keep their mental space.

this_guy

I responded to you during E3 and lost my whole post. :(

Here's a second try:

Unfortunately, not always. The ESPN fantasy football app never made it out of exclusivity. Others who make it out are well after a 6 month period. Still others, like ESPN, have concurrent versions where the Nokia only version gets more updates. Nokia=Windows Phone. I don't recommend anything other than a Nokia to anyone looking at the platform.

Skype/Messenger and Facebook chat are integrated into the OS, everything else is still external. They improved the API's for messaging a ton, but some third party apps still lag in notifications and sending/receiving messages. It may have more to do with the devs than the platform at this point, who knows. It's better than WP7.5 overall though for sure. Live tiles get stuck sometimes still, IMO less often on Apollo.

Not everyone got all of those issues in the first place (I didn't, for example), so it was never a universal thing, but yeah, Nokia has released 3 or so patches alongside OS patch updates and while you'll probably find some users complaining about issues, it would be no different than any other phone on any other platform.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the responses. I wouldnt mind playing with a Windows Phone again. I'm content with Android (currently using a Galaxy S3) but i want to try a different experience rather than just going for the incremental upgrade with a Galaxy S4 or HTC One.

hadareud

The Translator
I meant the ads weren't big enough.

Bigger ads = more uptime during the worlds premier gaming events, as far as I'm concerned.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was actually trying to recall if WP7 launched with that animation. It was a serious question, lol.

It did indeed! It always slightly annoyed me the animation was canned so no matter where you dropped the lock screen it always bounced in the same manner. (still does but I have gotten over it)

Nero3000

woot it's 925 day!

Will pop out at lunch to get it. White version for me. Will be a nice upgrade from the cyan 800 im karting around.

Nero3000

I expect lots of glamour shots of the phone and sample shots from the camera.

Another day. In the four O2 stores near my office (in central London no less) - three didn't receive any stock (or had none by the time i checked), and the other had all remaining stock reserved by the time i got there.

Disappointing, will probably be the weekend or the next week before i get it. I did get a chance to have a quick play with one of the display ones. Even though it was tethered, it felt nice in the hand and more manageable than the 920. The white version looks very handsome indeed.

Unfortunately you'll have to make do with an old picture of my 800:
pqQgr.jpg

rest are here

hadareud

The Translator
When you are looking at that beautiful picture that you now replied to VanMardigan with, it's probably very hard to argue that in a contest of Lumias, the 800 wouldn't come out at top, if you were to base your decision on looks alone.

Clearly, you all already knew that, though.

Nero3000

When you are looking at that beautiful picture that you now replied to VanMardigan with, it's probably very hard to argue that in a contest of Lumias, the 800 wouldn't come out at top, if you were to base your decision on looks alone.

Clearly, you all already knew that, though.

Agreed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was so confused cause I'm American and had no idea who the hell Robin Van Persie was. I was wondering if that was a nickname you guys had for me.

Keep your references American, people!! This thread is about an American OS made by an American company!

*Eagle tears*

*flag waving*

*fireworks*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom