• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero3000

I have:

Windows Phone 7.8
Windows Phone 8.0
Windows 8 on Desktop
Windows 8 on Laptop
Windows 8 on Surface Pro
Windows Home Server v1

and

Playstation 3

I've preordered a PS4.

IF the tv functions of XBox One work out in the UK with Sky, then i might get it down the road when its massively cheaper, but not for games.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious: who here has a Windows Phone and a Windows Tablet/PC and is not getting a Xbone? As much as I hate the system, it's solely tempting due to the ecosystem I'm invested in already.

this is why I don't get attached to things. I feel like the One is just going to trap me in Microsoft ecosystem forever so I'm getting out while I can.

I'm actually relieved the One isn't backwards compatible. I have nothing to lose by switching to the PS4 and keeping a 360.

also if we're going to list our Microsoft purchases just know this: I once imported a Zune. I think I win/lose.

Magni

Gadget list time?

Phones:
main: Omnia 7, WP7.8
backup: Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.2
not-a-phone: iPod 5G, iOS 6

Computers:
main: 2012 Macbook Air 13", OS X 10.8 with Windows 8 in Parallels
secondary: Alienware M17x with Windows 7, various Linux VMs installed
tertiary: old Asus EeePC, Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot

No tablet as of yet, can't justify the expense

Console:
home: Xbox 360
portable: Nintendo DSlite

I try not to get too stuck into an ecosystem which is why I use stuff like Evernote over OneNote for example, or Spotify over Xbox Music. Next big purchases are a new phone this year (Lumia or iPhone, leaning towards Lumia) and a console next year. I still don't know when I'll get a tablet...

I've decided to go for the Xbox One.

Last generation I had all consoles, though I sold the Wii pretty soon after I bought it and I haven't used my PS3 for gaming in years (and years). Though I did pre-order the last of us, so that's about to change.

This generation the Xbox will be my only console. I like the MS ecosystem, I like their games the best, I trust them when it comes to online gaming much more than Sony, I don't usually buy used games (not that used games are actually blocked, but anyway) and I don't usually sell my games on, I am very intrigued with the TV features because I'm one of those people that have pay-tv that apparently no longer exist, I don't care one bit about the online only restriction personally (though I can see why people would) and you know what, I work for a cloud company so I'm not rejecting the cloud features out of hand without having the slightest clue of what I'm talking about.

Not that there's no shortcomings and drawbacks with the console and their "vision". There are quite a few, most importantly the horse-power aspect of the console.

But still, I'm sold on the thing and I won't apologise, either.

Sorry. I'm so sorry.

I'm probably gonna go XB1 over PS4 as well for the same reasons as you (except I only had the 360 this gen), though I won't be buying either before 2014. MS needs to work on their communication though, it's been absolutely terrible.

On a related note, this doesn't sound like a fake to me, and is why I'm not too scared about the DRM aspects.

People hated Steam in 2004, now they love it. If MS doesn't fuck up, I could see the same happening with the XB1, they're in it for the long haul.

I'm probably gonna go XB1 over PS4 as well for the same reasons as you (except I only had the 360 this gen), though I won't be buying either before 2014. MS needs to work on their communication though, it's been absolutely terrible.

On a related note, this doesn't sound like a fake to me, and is why I'm not too scared about the DRM aspects.

People hated Steam in 2004, now they love it. If MS doesn't fuck up, I could see the same happening with the XB1, they're in it for the long haul.

People need to stop comparing the Xbox DRM with Steam. The only reason Steam is so popular and appealing these days, are the sales. I bought Just Cause 2 for 2.49 on Steam. People simply don't expect something like that from Microsoft and Microsoft gave the people absolutely no reason to believe they could compete with Steam on that front. Oh, and when I say sales, I don't mean only Steam sales. You can buy discounted Steam games from many online retailers, including Amazon and GMG. It's just not the same.

Magni

People need to stop comparing the Xbox DRM with Steam. The only reason Steam is so popular and appealing these days, are the sales. I bought Just Cause 2 for 2.49 on Steam. People simply don't expect something like that from Microsoft and Microsoft gave the people absolutely no reason to believe they could compete with Steam on that front. Oh, and when I say sales, I don't mean only Steam sales. You can buy discounted Steam games from many online retailers, including Amazon or GMG. It's just not the same.

What were Steam sales like in 2004? Honest question.

What were Steam sales like in 2004? Honest question.

It's absolutely silly to compare these two. Microsoft doesn't compete with Steam from 2004, it's competing with Steam from 2013. People brought up the same argument when EA launched Origin. It was nonsense back then and it still is. They don't live in a bubble. I mean, fuck, Amazon old pretty much all Steam-compatible Sonic games (including the latest games) for $9.99! I just don't see Microsoft doing something like that.

Magni

It's absolutely silly to compare these two. Microsoft doesn't compete with Steam from 2004, it's competing with Steam from 2013. People brought up the same argument when EA launched Origin. It was nonsense back then and it still is. They don't live in a bubble. I mean, fuck, Amazon old pretty much all Steam-compatible Sonic games (including the latest games) for $9.99! I just don't see Microsoft doing something like that.

There's a difference though, Origin was directly competing against Steam because they're both PC platforms. Xbox isn't directly competing against Steam, the PC landscape is way ahead of the console one in terms of digital purchases. Yes, I know XBLA, DLC, etc etc, but just compare the percentage of people who bought a digital copy of MW2 on PC versus those that did on X260/PS3 for example.

There's a difference though, Origin was directly competing against Steam because they're both PC platforms. Xbox isn't directly competing against Steam, the PC landscape is way ahead of the console one in terms of digital purchases. Yes, I know XBLA, DLC, etc etc, but just compare the percentage of people who bought a digital copy of MW2 on PC versus those that did on X260/PS3 for example.

When both platforms are pretty much selling the same games, then I'd absolutely say that they're directly completing against each other. Just because console manufacturers had it backwards for years, it doesn't mean you can't compare them with the available alternatives on the market. Steam is the alternative on the PC and it simply does DRM "better".

Magni

When both platforms are pretty much selling the same games, then I'd absolutely say that they're directly completing against each other. Just because console manufacturers had it backwards for years, it doesn't mean you can't compare them with the available alternatives on the market. Steam is the alternative on the PC and it simply does DRM "better".

So do you think that Microsoft and Valve are targeting the same market? Cause that's what "directly competing" means.

So do you think that Microsoft and Valve are targeting the same market? Cause that's what "directly competing" means.

For now? Of course they do. I know that Microsoft has other plans with the Xbox business, but that's going to take some more years to unfold. It would be a different story, if Microsoft was capable to launch the subsidized model and Sony went with the same DRM scheme. But right now, they're simply competing for the hardcore gamers (did you notice the lack of Kinect during the E3 presentation?) and perhaps tech enthusiasts with too much money.

Gadget lists!

Main phone: Nokia Lumia 820
Work phone: BlackBerry Curve 9300 (which I never use)

Home desktop: Alienware Aurora R2 w/ GeForce 660Ti (Windows 8)
Home laptop: Sony Vaio, middle tier model (Windows 7)
Work laptop: Dell Latitude E6320 (Windows 7)

Tablets: iPad 1 and Surface RT

Consoles: PS3 and WiiU (and a lot more but these are attached to the main TV)

Handhelds: PS Vita and 3DS (and a lot more but these are the most recent ones, obviously)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'll be going with the xbox. Never bought used games, internet only goes out with a power loss, love what they are doing with kinect 2.0, windows 8 on the xbox is intriguing and i want to stay within the ecosystem and see how it all works together. Also Killer Instinct 3.

Milchjon

Several sites posted this as a possible EOS variant:

EOS%20v2%20metal.png

...but the hump is much smaller in diameter than on the device that was in those other leaked pics.

So what is this?

JaggedSac

Several sites posted this as a possible EOS variant:

EOS%20v2%20metal.png

...but the hump is much smaller in diameter than on the device that was in those other leaked pics.

So what is this?

Looks like someone's bad 3d printer project.

I'll be going with the xbox. Never bought used games, internet only goes out with a power loss, love what they are doing with kinect 2.0, windows 8 on the xbox is intriguing and i want to stay within the ecosystem and see how it all works together. Also Killer Instinct 3.

Same here. And I am optimistically thinking that digital game prices will be lower and there will be nice sales...naïve?

Magni

For now? Of course they do. I know that Microsoft has other plans with the Xbox business, but that's going to take some more years to unfold. It would be a different story, if Microsoft was capable to launch the subsidized model and Sony went with the same DRM scheme. But right now, they're simply competing for the hardcore gamers (did you notice the lack of Kinect during the E3 presentation?) and perhaps tech enthusiasts with too much money.

Oh I agree with you about core gamers being especially important at launch, but I don't think that the Xbox One is inherently flawed for core gamers. Their messaging currently is though. Stuff like the "Gold game sharing" could be awesome for core gamers (depending on how it's implemented once again). These consoles will launch in five or so months, MS has some time (but not an eternity) to fix their messaging.

The people here on GAF gloating about how the One is dead and Sega will replace Microsoft next gen (lol) remind me of the ones saying Nintendo was going to go third-party back in 2005. (not implying that you are one of those!)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Looks like someone's bad 3d printer project.

Same here. And I am optimistically thinking that digital game prices will be lower and there will be nice sales...naïve?
I'm hoping for lower prices, seems to be more of a push for F2P at least. Doing that both on the xbox and on windows.

Oh I agree with you about core gamers being especially important at launch, but I don't think that the Xbox One is inherently flawed for core gamers. Their messaging currently is though. Stuff like the "Gold game sharing" could be awesome for core gamers (depending on how it's implemented once again). These consoles will launch in five or so months, MS has some time (but not an eternity) to fix their messaging.

The people here on GAF gloating about how the One is dead and Sega will replace Microsoft next gen (lol) remind me of the ones saying Nintendo was going to go third-party back in 2005. (not implying that you are one of those!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating or bashing the Xbox One or anyone who wants to buy one and I also don't want Microsoft (or Sony for that matter) to leave the business (Nintendo doesn't exist in my PoV), but the Xbox One is simply not for me (which is ironic, because I'm not much of a gamer anymore). I was only arguing with you, because I thought the comparison with Steam (of 2004 nonetheless) was flawed.

That the gaming side is some sort of carnival of stupid these days is not really debatable. It's pretty annoying.

hadareud

The Translator
It all comes down to what happens from now on. To form definite opinions anything half a year before launch is quite silly, we'll see what both Sony and MS have in store leading up to launch, but it matters just as much what will happen in the year or two after launch.

I think that one of the main problems that Microsoft have is that their Xbox division looks and acts rudderless. The confused message they're sending points to very little being finalised and that in turn points to the head of the division being a bit poo, really. This wouldn't have happened under Hitl... I mean J Allard and Robbie Bach. There seems to be no one that drives the message and that is able to get the rest of the management behind him.

As for the gaming side, I will use my new favourite saying: there's nothing quite as scary as someone who knows they're right. It's not the ignorance that's scary, we're all ignorant of a lot of things, it's that people don't think, they know. To be fair, that's more and more true of the whole of the internet, but it's still a worrying development.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've sold a lot of my "backup" devices in the past year to trim down on the clutter in my house and free up cash, so this is what I have left:

Phone: Lumia 920
Laptop: Toshiba z830 ultrabook running Windows 8
Desktop: Dell workhorse with a core i7 processor running windows 8.
Tablet: iPad 2
Consoles: X360 is my main gaming machine, Ps3 mainly for Blu Rays
Handhelds: 3DS

What I will buy next:

-Ps4 and Wii U next year
-iPad mini retina when its released
-Nokia's next flagship phone this fall(iPhone 5s is a long shot as well if Apple announces something mind-blowing, there are no Android phones right now or on the horizon that interest me)
-Nexus 7 refresh if its still super cheap

Nobody locks me down, I love tech, not companies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have a :
Lumia 920
Zune HD
shitty Acer desktop (Win8)
decent 13" Acer laptop (2 years old, Win8),
Xbox 360
PS3 (mostly blu-ray and the odd PS3 game)
PSP go (rarely use)

Future:
Xbox One

I like the franchises and titles coming to the One and the DRM stuff, etc., doesn't bother me. If down the road I feel like my gaming is underpowered I will get a better PC not a PS4. I would like to get a Surface 2 to replace both my current laptop and desktop potentially as well. If the Xbox wasn't coming out this year I probably would have got a Surface.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't love companies, but I do dislike some.

Ever since I was 13 and one of my friends excitedly showed me his Macintosh and told me how shit my PC was in comparison with absolute conviction (when clearly it wasn't) I have disliked Apple. Many of my convictions have changed since then, but the one about never buying any Apple products remains as strong as it was 20 years ago. Irrational and stupid? Definitely. But also quite satisfying, in a very childish way.

I don't love companies, but I do dislike some.

Ever since I was 13 and one of my friends excitedly showed me his Macintosh and told me how shit my PC was in comparison with absolute conviction (when clearly it wasn't) I have disliked Apple. Many of my convictions have changed since then, but the one about never buying any Apple products remains as strong as it was 20 years ago. Irrational and stupid? Definitely. But also quite satisfying, in a very childish way.

You're missing out on the best tablet on the market, man.

hadareud

The Translator
Perhaps, but I never really saw much use for a tablet.

That said, my gf bought a Surface RT btw (she's picking it up next week), I will take away from her when she's not looking.

kazinova

My Devices:

Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
Computer: Custom Built Ivy Bridge Core i7 w/ GTX 670
Tablet: Surface RT, Nexus 7
Camera: Canon Digital Rebel Xt
Console: Xbox 360 (w/ Kinect), Playstation 3 (w/ Move), Wii, Ouya
Misc TV: Samsung plasma tv (6 years old), one Windows 8 computer w/ Media Center (it's my old gaming rig so it has Steam and can play most games)

Fiancé's Devices

Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
Computer: Custom built Phenom X6 w/ 2x GTX560ti (SLI)
Tablet: Surface Pro, Kindle Fire

Future:

Plan on getting both new consoles (PS4 and XB1), I wish I wanted a Wii U...

Why not.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Tablet: iPad (late 2013)
PC: Custom built Sandy Bridge i7 2600k, 8 GB RAM, HD6950 2 GB, Windows 8
Console: PS3 aka Gran Turismo machine (X360 died two years ago, no incentive to replace it)

Why am I even in this thread?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If Nokia's fall 'flagship' smartphone (1080p, quad-core etc) is distinct from the Nokia's fall flagship cameraphone (41MP etc), which would you buy?

Yeah, all signs seem to be that they'll make me choose. :'(

I honestly don't know what I'll do. I don't have a dedicated camera, I use my phone for pictures and I have three young kids so EOS is going to be tough to resist. At the same time, having the same chipset as my 920, which I bought last November, means it won't be future proof. My 920 already takes incredible photos and I'm assuming the fall flagship with 1080p and quad core processors will have an even better camera than the 920, so right now I think that would be my choice.

But, as a fellow tech lover, you know how difficult it will be for me to not burn my upgrade on the EOS once the reviews start trickling out if the camera is superior to the 808 one, which is what I expect.

You're missing out on the best tablet on the market, man.

Straight up. My only issue is the sharpness of the tapered edges forces me to use a case for extended sessions, but the mini should solve that. The software lineup is incredible and unparalleled.

Why am I even in this thread?
Because the galaxy nexus needs to be replaced this fall.

hadareud

The Translator
Alright then:

PC: my own, outdated build. W8 with a GTX460/i7-930, 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD.
Laptop: Lenovo T430 (W7) from work
Phone: Lumia 920
Console: 360 & PS3
Oh, and a Zune HD that I no longer use since I got the Lumia :(

Nero3000

A couple of points on the 925:

¬ The hump isnt big or really noticeable
¬ build quality is very good
¬ it's really nicely sized for a 4.5" screen
¬ Love the AMOLED screen
¬ The matte white back is gorgeous
¬ Camera is impressive with my short time with it
¬ Phone gets quite warm in the top half
¬ Yes, data sense is enabled by default

Also what the guy at O2-UK told me, was that 4G will be a bolt-on...so they will charge for extra for LTE - but you just add it on to your existing contract.

Pictures in the next few days :)

Troll

Banned
A couple of points on the 925:

¬ The hump isnt big or really noticeable
¬ build quality is very good
¬ it's really nicely sized for a 4.5" screen
¬ Love the AMOLED screen
¬ The matte white back is gorgeous
¬ Camera is impressive with my short time with it
¬ Phone gets quite warm in the top half
¬ Yes, data sense is enabled by default

Also what the guy at O2-UK told me, was that 4G will be a bolt-on...so they will charge for extra for LTE - but you just add it on to your existing contract.

Pictures in the next few days :)

You won't love that AMOLED when you have burn in from being on GAF too much.

MarkusRJR

^ Yup I have the same thing going on.

Just bought the 250gb Xbox 360 bundle with Kinect (old 360 red ringed) along with DmC. My wallet is hurting. Love that the Xbox and WP8 interact with each other.

You won't love that AMOLED when you have burn in from being on GAF too much.
Oh gosh is that a thing? I'm always on GAF on my Ativ S. Are there any ways to avoid burn in?

Troll

Banned
The ads are gone, there's a error message instead and my back button now no longer works on gaf. Bloody annoying, that.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Yes. After the web page has loaded completely the back button no longer works, however if it's still loading you can hit back as much as you want and you're fine.

I'm having the same problem with the ads too.

hadareud

The Translator
Strange. Far be it from me to suggest that the third party ad script being used is doing things that are reminiscent of malware, so I shall desist.

The Shift

Banned
Yes. After the web page has loaded completely the back button no longer works, however if it's still loading you can hit back as much as you want and you're fine.

I'm having the same problem with the ads too.

Press refresh and then the back button quickly after that and it will navigate correctly. Needs to be sorted out soon though.

So speaking of all of these device lists, I just cancelled my Xbox Live Gold membership. I figure I haven't used it more than once or twice in the past year to play Halo 4, which died out pretty quickly. My 360 was demoted to Halo duty pretty much from the moment I got my PS3 anyway. I'm going to wait and see on the PS4 and Xbone, although to be honest Playstation is always going to start out a little ahead in my mind. But I got both consoles this generation and the Xbone could certainly justify itself as well, especially if it has good media center functionality, interesting integration with WP8, or some must-have exclusives. We'll see.

But what I really need to know is, am I missing out on anything on WP8, W8, or SkyDrive by not having a Gold subscription?

MarkusRJR

So I downloaded a bunch of games but some of them don't fit the entire screen since they're designed for the 16:10 aspect ratio. Should I worry about those black bars burning in on my amoled screen, or does black not burn in (since black means the pixels are off on amoled)? Anyone know?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I just happened to win a Lumia 928 at E3 during the Halo party. I had an old Android phone for 3 years and was in dire need of an upgrade. I was quite fortunate.

Anyway, I'm loving the phone so far. It feels great, is slick and the camera is fantastic. I also received a 25$ app store card. I bought MetroTube and am now wondering what everyone thinks are the must have paid apps. I've also been checking out WPCentral.com which has been nice so far.

It's also pretty surreal to search for my podcast in the app marketplace and find it there haha

Troll

Banned
So I downloaded a bunch of games but some of them don't fit the entire screen since they're designed for the 16:10 aspect ratio. Should I worry about those black bars burning in on my amoled screen, or does black not burn in (since black means the pixels are off on amoled)? Anyone know?

I had it pretty bad on my Focus, the IE bar on the bottom was visible everywhere and there wasn't anything I could do about it.

There isn't much I can tell you about preventing it, maybe someone else can. Maybe the technology has gotten better and it's less susceptible to image retention now than it was before.

Can someone help out our boy Markus?

So I just happened to win a Lumia 928 at E3 during the Halo party. I had an old Android phone for 3 years and was in dire need of an upgrade. I was quite fortunate.

Anyway, I'm loving the phone so far. It feels great, is slick and the camera is fantastic. I also received a 25$ app store card. I bought MetroTube and am now wondering what everyone thinks are the must have paid apps. I've also been checking out WPCentral.com which has been nice so far.

It's also pretty surreal to search for my podcast in the app marketplace and find it there haha

Congrats and welcome. To tell you the truth WP could use a little bit of your luck. :p

What's your podcast called? Might as well pimp yourself out a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom