• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like I am going to be sticking with my Lumia 900 for another year.

I'm beginning to think of what kind of mobile landscape I'll be looking at after a year - when my contract ends, that is. (I probably will leave the sub running, because, well, grandfathering.)

Maybe then I'll be seeing a ridiculous camera phone with an actual 1" sensor, f/1.8, ISO 6400+, HDR, the works. Let's hope that it's from Nokia.

Android will be entirely on x86 by then.

I'm not sure if I'm joking or not here.

I feel if anyone goes x86 primarily in the future, it will be windows phone, with Microsoft's whole plan to consolidate their platforms. On the other hand, google's two platforms, android and chrome OS, are either entirely on ARM or finding most of their succes on the standard (chromebooks) So if google desires to consolidate, it would be easier to keep everything ARM, but if Microsoft continues to consolidate, it would be easier to transition everything to x86.

But yeah, who knows how that will play out.

Aw man the knee-jerk hate in the gaming side cut off a discussion that I thought was actually interesting. I typed out a decent response on my phone only to have the thread be locked before I could post it. So I'll try and retype it here.

So the issue was, could it be a good idea for the Xbox to follow a yearly upgrade cycle like mobile phones and tablets? Of course the knee-jerk response was "no that's stupid," but even though I agree with the final conclusion I think it's closer than most people gave it credit.

So of course the console model has thrived by providing developers a uniform hardware specification that they can develop to, ensuring uniform performance over the life of the system and ease of operation by users, who don't need to look at more than the logo on the game case to determine whether or not a game will work on their system. But, looking at the mobile and PC markets, developers are able to hit moving targets. And assuming the upgrades are linear in fashion and all within the same general architecture, perhaps it wouldn't be that big of a hassle for developers to make games in the next four or five years to all run at varying levels on the Xboxes One through Five, and eventually game and OS support will fade out for Xbox One as Xbox Six is released.

I'd say the first obstacle to that is money. There would need to be subsidies, and the average game price would need to drop significantly. Even the most diehard Apple fan isn't paying $600 every year for a new iPhone, they pay $600 one year and then $200 the next and make AT&T pick up the rest of the tab. Similarly, gamers have come to expect that if they pay $500 for a machine they will get a long period of use out of it, so subsidies whether offered by Microsoft for a Live subscription or cable providers for cable service could defray that initial cost and encourage upgrades much faster than the current generational console cycle. Similarly, games would have to come down in price, else someone with an Xbox Two that buys a game optimized for the Xbox Six that just barely runs on the Two could rightly consider the $60 they paid for the game wasted.

The bigger problem is that it would be much harder for Microsoft to entice consumers to upgrade. Phones and tablets don't just have better processing power and better graphics with each hardware revision, they also have better cameras, better screens, occasionally better mobile data speeds, and perhaps most importantly a "better" form factor for the iOS enthusiast to show off the next time they're at Starbucks. Microsoft just wouldn't have the ability to improve functionality in tangible ways with a new box to hook up to the TV on a yearly basis. Better Kinects will only go so far (not very).

So that's why I think in the end it's not a good idea, but it's not as easy a decision as first seems. Thoughts?

Milchjon

Console manufacturers have historically subsidized the hardware heavily, making back those losses in the long run. So subsidization of hardware+cheaper games+higher R&D cost? I don't think that adds up for them.

Nero3000

How many of the games on iOS fully take advantage of the processing speed gains every year?

Even if you have the latest and greatest dev's will still be targeting one or two year old architectures (where all the users are).

Ah, I hadn't thought about the fact that consoles are usually sold at a loss when launched. That's a very good point. Is the retail price on most flagship phones over or under cost?

Nero3000

Ah, I hadn't thought about the fact that consoles are usually sold at a loss when launched. That's a very good point. Is the retail price on most flagship phones over or under cost?

Apple makes >30% on it's iPhones.

Because carriers subsidize the phone's heavily, manufacturers do charge stupid amounts of money.

For the real cost of a flagship phone, look to the Nexus 4. At $400 pretty much every phone would come in at or above cost.

Ugh the mobile site is completely broken for me. No back, weird ad space...

The mobile webapp breaks a lot. It's an example of something that could really benefit from being a real app, assuming anyone at GAF would bother to code one.

Aw man the knee-jerk hate in the gaming side cut off a discussion that I thought was actually interesting. I typed out a decent response on my phone only to have the thread be locked before I could post it. So I'll try and retype it here.

So the issue was, could it be a good idea for the Xbox to follow a yearly upgrade cycle like mobile phones and tablets? Of course the knee-jerk response was "no that's stupid," but even though I agree with the final conclusion I think it's closer than most people gave it credit.

So of course the console model has thrived by providing developers a uniform hardware specification that they can develop to, ensuring uniform performance over the life of the system and ease of operation by users, who don't need to look at more than the logo on the game case to determine whether or not a game will work on their system. But, looking at the mobile and PC markets, developers are able to hit moving targets. And assuming the upgrades are linear in fashion and all within the same general architecture, perhaps it wouldn't be that big of a hassle for developers to make games in the next four or five years to all run at varying levels on the Xboxes One through Five, and eventually game and OS support will fade out for Xbox One as Xbox Six is released.

I'd say the first obstacle to that is money. There would need to be subsidies, and the average game price would need to drop significantly. Even the most diehard Apple fan isn't paying $600 every year for a new iPhone, they pay $600 one year and then $200 the next and make AT&T pick up the rest of the tab. Similarly, gamers have come to expect that if they pay $500 for a machine they will get a long period of use out of it, so subsidies whether offered by Microsoft for a Live subscription or cable providers for cable service could defray that initial cost and encourage upgrades much faster than the current generational console cycle. Similarly, games would have to come down in price, else someone with an Xbox Two that buys a game optimized for the Xbox Six that just barely runs on the Two could rightly consider the $60 they paid for the game wasted.

The bigger problem is that it would be much harder for Microsoft to entice consumers to upgrade. Phones and tablets don't just have better processing power and better graphics with each hardware revision, they also have better cameras, better screens, occasionally better mobile data speeds, and perhaps most importantly a "better" form factor for the iOS enthusiast to show off the next time they're at Starbucks. Microsoft just wouldn't have the ability to improve functionality in tangible ways with a new box to hook up to the TV on a yearly basis. Better Kinects will only go so far (not very).

So that's why I think in the end it's not a good idea, but it's not as easy a decision as first seems. Thoughts?

You just described PC gaming. And no, it's not feasible for the model that consoles follow.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Seems like I am going to be sticking with my Lumia 900 for another year.

I think you should consider the EOS. It'll be a huge step up from the phone you already have in both software and hardware, and I doubt large camera humps will be in any flagships. Look at Samsung's laughable attempts, its just not a priority, so with your focus on photography, Nokia EOS is your best bet.

Milchjon

Thanks, Belfiore

Skype video messaging is now a free feature in Skype for Windows desktop, Skype for Windows 8, Skype for Mac, Skype for iPhone, Skype for iPad, Skype for Android and Skype for BlackBerry. Yes, not yet available for Windows Phone devices yet!

As for the back button, I played around with the iOS7 beta on my friend's iPhone 5 and I constantly tapped the empty space to the left of the home button.

this_guy

Just bought a Nokia 920 off craigslist and using it on AIO wireless (AT&T prepaid, like Sprint's Boost Mobile). I got out of my Sprint contract, so $65/month gets me unlimited minutes and text with 5gb of data on AT&T's HSPA network (although speeds are throttled - max speeds are 4mb/s). I'll switch to GoPhone for next month after their LTE enabled plans launch. I used a windows phone previously with the HTC Radar, but for the last year or so was using the Galaxy s3.

Few thoughts on the Nokia 920:
Positives
Great premium feel. Camera is very nice as well.
OS is nice and smooth of course, and third party apps launch MUCH quicker than when I used the HTC Radar.
Everything is easy to use and set up. Android's ability to customize is great, but sometimes I just don't want to set up multiple homescreens and just want everything to work.
App situation is good enough for the most part. I don't play games so Candy Crush and whatever is popular at the moment so games don't bother me. I mainly use the web browser, I have friends that use GroupMe, and Weave is a decent alternative to Pulse Newsreader ( I still prefer Pulse, I thought I remembered using it on Windows Phone 7).
ESPN Fantasy football is available on Nokia phones so I'm happy about that.
Nokia Radio - haven't used it but how does it compare to Spotify and Rdio paid subscriptions?

Negatives
No led light notification. If I miss a call or text and don't see it right away I have to turn the screen on.
No battery percentage indicator. Wish they would have made this an option.
When browsing the web it becomes full screen so the clock disappears. And the Neogaf mobile page - the Back button doesn't work.
I like the People app/hub, but for Facebook it's missing features like the ability to like a comment on a post. I also don't get notifications like I do with the Facebook app on Android and when I used an iPad.
Since Outlook email on the desktop has the ability to chat with Google Talk users, I wish this was possible on Windows Phone 8.
Keyboard takes up a lot of space when typing text messages.

Milchjon

For FB notifications, you need to install the FB app (use the beta app). Otherwhise, your Me tile is supposed to be your notification center for FB.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, you know, it's really hard to port from Windows 8 to WP8.

They should do a kernel change for WP9 so it becomes easier.

:lol waiting for Rambo.

Seriously, it is this kind of stuff that is so annoying. It should be first and best on MS's platforms, but this is rarely the case.

hadareud

The Translator
Smart cam is in the store!

Won't actually work without the amber update :(

Ah well, at least Nokia releasing it points to the update not being far off.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, just tried it and it's a lot faster. Still not quite accurate enough for me to actually start using it on a regular basis.

I have been using it so far to send very short text messages while I'm driving and it's good enough for that, but now I might have to yell a bit less and also less often.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It is a lot faster and more accurate. Pretty sweet upgrade. I'm with had, the main usage is in the car replying to texts through Bluetooth, this should be a huge improvement.

Also, they need to add the mic to the browser so I can use it for GAF replies.

hwalker84

Negatives
No led light notification. If I miss a call or text and don't see it right away I have to turn the screen on.
No battery percentage indicator. Wish they would have made this an option.
When browsing the web it becomes full screen so the clock disappears. And the Neogaf mobile page - the Back button doesn't work.
I like the People app/hub, but for Facebook it's missing features like the ability to like a comment on a post. I also don't get notifications like I do with the Facebook app on Android and when I used an iPad.
Since Outlook email on the desktop has the ability to chat with Google Talk users, I wish this was possible on Windows Phone 8.
Keyboard takes up a lot of space when typing text messages.

1. Agreed
  2. Agreed
  3. I actually like this better. Just hit the "...." and the time will come up. The Neogaf issue was website related.
  4. You definitely can comment on a post. I hate how you can't like individual comments.
  5. Google will need to make an app or MS add this in a OS update.
  6. Disagree

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I did a search for "the weather in Regina Saskatchewan in Celsius" and it worked it great. Showed me the temperature for the week. Since my search engine is set to US I had to specify Celsius.

maeh2k

I don't know if it's just their German support or my queries, but voice recognition seems as useless as ever. Too bad I can't try it on iOS and Android at the same time to compare.

For the Germans: I tried "Störvariablen sind weitere Einflüsse auf die abhängigen Variablen". I came pretty close once or twice, but I never got it to recognize the whole phrase. Of course it doesn't do combined nouns, punctuation, or big nouns, either.

hadareud

The Translator
It would be nice if they incorporated the speech recognition with music.

In the car that would be very handy. A potential life saviour, quite literally.

kharma45

Well this is disappointing
nfi7LyK.png

ifcTVQV.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom