• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero3000

So I downloaded a bunch of games but some of them don't fit the entire screen since they're designed for the 16:10 aspect ratio. Should I worry about those black bars burning in on my amoled screen, or does black not burn in (since black means the pixels are off on amoled)? Anyone know?

For black no. The pixels are off, so nothing is happening.

for the rest, i had a lumia 800 for 18 months and browsed gaf quite heavily and never had any burn in issue.

Heretic

So I just happened to win a Lumia 928 at E3 during the Halo party. I had an old Android phone for 3 years and was in dire need of an upgrade. I was quite fortunate.

Anyway, I'm loving the phone so far. It feels great, is slick and the camera is fantastic. I also received a 25$ app store card. I bought MetroTube and am now wondering what everyone thinks are the must have paid apps. I've also been checking out WPCentral.com which has been nice so far.

It's also pretty surreal to search for my podcast in the app marketplace and find it there haha
glad you like the phone. The camera and OIS is sick and easily my favorite feature.

Got to show off my camera to a friend who's looking to upgrade and he couldn't believe how amazing it is in low light.

He thought it was the flash :p

Zeknurn

I think I may have broken Podcast Lounge. I started downloading a ton of E3 podcasts, let it go to the lockscreen and now when I try to start the app again it gets stuck on loading. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hitting back or restarting the phone didn't solve it.

I'd rather not reinstall the app so if anyone knows a fix I would be very grateful.

edit: Ended up reinstalling.

kharma45

I've had enough of this fucking lumia 620. Did its thing again today where it refuses to come out of sleep so i had to pull the battery. Turned it on and my SD card has been wiped. Absolutely fed up with this unreliable fucker of a phone.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I had it pretty bad on my Focus, the IE bar on the bottom was visible everywhere and there wasn't anything I could do about it.

There isn't much I can tell you about preventing it, maybe someone else can. Maybe the technology has gotten better and it's less susceptible to image retention now than it was before.

Can someone help out our boy Markus?

Congrats and welcome. To tell you the truth WP could use a little bit of your luck. :p

What's your podcast called? Might as well pimp yourself out a little bit.

Thanks for having me. It wasn't really luck that got me the phone though, it was my skills at Halo Spartan Assault haha.

podcast name is HaloGAF Radio

Thanks for having me. It wasn't really luck that got me the phone though, it was my skills at Halo Spartan Assault haha.

podcast name is HaloGAF Radio

Oh Tashi, assuming you like to use Facebook on your phone, there is a beta of the next version of the Facebook app right now that's a pretty huge improvement. Can't search for it though.

Link

Milchjon

Get a kin for only $25!

Edit:

eos-lens.jpg

And 808 vs S4 Zoom:

samsung-nokia-600x840.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
That looks nice. Lets hope it will actually be usable unlike the current app, which is really shit.

Would be nice if they also included syncing in that, and make it a replacement of Zune. Or just bring back Zune, that would probably be best.

MarkusRJR

For some reason my app list went to the mode when it lists the apps by letters (when you reach a certain number of apps). The thing is, it just changed over randomly and can't go back no matter how many apps I uninstall. WTF?

ElNino

I don't even think my 920 would make it 4 hours. :/
Does the GPS effect the battery that much on the 920? If so, maybe I should just stick with the 900. I often use my 900 as rangefinder when golfing and typically a 4 hour round uses about 30%-40% battery at most.

Troll

Banned
Does the GPS effect the battery that much on the 920? If so, maybe I should just stick with the 900. I often use my 900 as rangefinder when golfing and typically a 4 hour round uses about 30%-40% battery at most.

I don't know, it just seems over the last few weeks/days my battery life has been a lot worse and I can't figure out why. It might just be entirely in my head but you would be fine using rangefinder, I'll run it for four hours tonight and tell you how it goes.

I don't know, it just seems over the last few weeks/days my battery life has been a lot worse and I can't figure out why. It might just be entirely in my head but you would be fine using rangefinder, I'll run it for four hours tonight and tell you how it goes.

Last two days my 920 battery has just sucked out of nowhere. As far I'm aware I'm using it in about the same ways that I always have.

MarkusRJR

MarkusRJR said:
For some reason my app list went to the mode when it lists the apps by letters (when you reach a certain number of apps). The thing is, it just changed over randomly and can't go back no matter how many apps I uninstall. WTF?
Anyone?

I deleted a few apps to go to 37 and it still separates them by letter. Will it fix itself out or am I stuck with an ugly app list?

Saw so many Nokia phones today. Too bad it was only on screen while watching Man of Steel. Talking about excessive product placement....I thought Iron Man was bad, Man of Steel take it to another level.

Funny thing is, after the movie, family went out to dinner and the lady at the table across from us took out her phone, it's Red Lumia (you know the best Lumia) and people at their table were all asking what phone is that, it's so pretty etc. And she said "Windows Phone", then all I heard was silence.

Milchjon

Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? :/

Huh? The list with letters is basically the normal version, and it's much more usable that way. Even though WP "has no apps", and I'm killing apps all the time for space reasons, I have ~120 apps installed. Scrolling through the whole list would be a pain in the ass, and using the letters to jump through it is still quicker than using search.

Troll

Banned
I think what he's trying to say is that it's silly that hypothetically you can have three apps and have a jump list just because of your installed games.

Milchjon

I'll never understand this. Never used many apps on iOS or WP.

Dunno, I feel like I only have the absolute basics. If I had WP8 or iOS, I'd easily add another 20-30 apps.

Of course, if I was more strict, I could probably lose about 10 apps, but I don't feel like it.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, it doesn't feel like I have any unnecessary stuff either.

Could probably get rid of a few, but what's the point of that.

So, what happens to that low-priced version of Lumia 920 mentioned as the fourth device in the report. Actually we have been tipped some details about it. Since, we say tipped so it is not from our sources but someone who claim to have seen it in person has revealed details about it. So, according to the tipster,

• It will be released along with Phablet in September-October, but not necessarily on the same date.
  • Will sport 4.7 inch WXGA CBD AMOLED display.
  • Will have 8 MP Carl–Zeiss optics camera with F/1.9 aperture for low-light imaging. No OIS though.
  • Lumia 720 like design with minor tweaks and may have slimmer profile, Lightweight.
  • May come with similar CPU/GPU combo as Lumia 920 and will be Nokia’s answer to low-cost iPhone.
  • Will be priced very aggressively and will replace Lumia 82X range.

That sounds exactly what the 720 should've been, but the last point bummed me out again. The entire Lumia 8xx range is bullshit, when it comes to pricing. sub-$300 or bust.

clav

On the verge of buying a Nokia Lumia 521 for my mom since T-Mobile's signal strength is terribad here.

She doesn't like smartphones, but she loves the Wi-fi calling feature although I have not seen that in action outside of YouTube videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom