• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're in the US.

It works amazingly well in Canada too. I just put it through some tests and it could understand me 100% when I spoke in a couple of different languages, when I spoke some absurd words and even a couple of the completely made up words I use in my sci-fi universe.

hadareud

The Translator
Works in the UK too.

Your fault for speaking in a silly forrin language to your phone, Brot.

edit: Microsoft doesn't care about blac ... I mean Europe.

Nero3000

Huwaeii could just be looking to purchase nokia's feature phone business.

Also im glad no windows phone user has ever had to put up with this:
BM-8B88CEAEasCI.jpg-large.jpeg

flippedb

Banned
I just tried the same pic as a background, it basically tones down the colors a bit to make it more visible. More grey-ish than the original. Although you wouldn't notice if you don't compare it side by side.

Makes the image darker? Maybe not the best, but a decent enough solution.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is it me or have they vastly improved the quality of photo uploads to facebook through the built-in "share" menu? I always avoided using the "Share" to facebook function because the images would be tiny when uploaded, but either FB or MS made some changes and now the images are uploaded pretty big and detailed. And since its way more reliable than using the official or beta FB app, I'll be using it every time now.

Is it me or have they vastly improved the quality of photo uploads to facebook through the built-in "share" menu? I always avoided using the "Share" to facebook function because the images would be tiny when uploaded, but either FB or MS made some changes and now the images are uploaded pretty big and detailed. And since its way more reliable than using the official or beta FB app, I'll be using it every time now.

I don't know I think the picture quality is still pretty bad. I only use the build in upload if I don't really care about picture quality.

We're back to zero, guys.

"Starting from Windows Phone GDR2, system updates will be provided directly by Microsoft to OEM manufacturers, OEM manufacturers to join in with your own function to update, and then the OEM vendors push their customers ."

Milchjon

In Nokia we trust.

But seriously, what IS MS doing? It's been almost three years now, and progress is pretty minuscule compared to the competition.

"Starting from Windows Phone GDR2, system updates will be provided directly by Microsoft to OEM manufacturers, OEM manufacturers to join in with your own function to update, and then the OEM vendors push their customers ."

Source?

Either way, I get my phones for what they are, not for what they will become. Lower expectations for everything means that I rarely get angry about what I have. I know that my phone's camera is junk, but I am also aware that you can only do so much on a phone... without starting to go off from "phone" territory, that is. (I'd rather use my real camera if I can.)

How is this any difference than what they are doing now? I have yet to see update push out by Microsoft independent of At&t. I would think this is a good thing no? Nokia will get update and able to do their firmware and tested before it all get push out and not end up with patch after patch like last time. Or am I missing something here.

PG2G

How is this any difference than what they are doing now? I have yet to see update push out by Microsoft independent of At&t. I would think this is a good thing no? Nokia will get update and able to do their firmware and tested before it all get push out and not end up with patch after patch like last time. Or am I missing something here.

I dont think ita any different. Perhaps instead of having to download seperate Microsoft and Nokia updates, now it is in one big package. It makes sense due to the dependencies.

hwalker84

In Nokia we trust.

But seriously, what IS MS doing? It's been almost three years now, and progress is pretty minuscule compared to the competition.
The WP team's office

Lonely-office-man-003.jpg

They move at a pace that screams we're at the top and have no competition. When it's should be we have 0 market share we need as many people on this team as possible to make this ship move faster than the competition. Instead the competition is moving fast and controls 90+% of the industry.

Milchjon

The WP team's office

They move at a pace that screams we're at the top and have no competition. When it's should be we have 0 market share we need as many people on this team as possible to make this ship move faster than the competition. Instead the competition is moving fast and controls 90+% of the industry.

Playing around with iOS7 on my friend's iPhone 5 made me realize once again how superficial those changes are. I think at its very core WP is still ahead of the competition, it feels much more connected and alive.

Where they are really lagging behind is all the "quick access" functionality. Notification center, control center, or even true multitasking are things that really make a difference, especially when efficiency is one of the key principles with all those hubs and "glanceable" info.

And none of these things should really collide with what WP is all about. Make the Me tile a full blown notification center, give me quick access from anywhere, and it's all good.

I think live tiles don't lose their value simply because the notifications are collected elsewhere. There are many things that make sense on a live tile that would be annoying as a notification.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The WP team's office

Well, Google had i/o and Apple just had wwdc, so now its MS' turn at Build. And I really didn't think either Apple nor Google had a strong showing, so there is an opportunity for MS to catch up with Rambo and also innovate with new features. Whether they will deliver is questionable. WP7 blew me away when it was introduced, but Mango and Apollo have been refinements, so I hope MS can spark some new ideas in mobile again. I refuse to believe that we've plateaued in mobile innovation and features, as the google and apple presentations seemed to indicate.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
BUILD won't have any phone news.

soo it is the same as we get now?

Fjolle

no idea, windows phone team is slow I guess. Anyway just about everyone that would know is saying they don't expect to see anything.
That's stupid.
It's not like Apple or Google are capable of producing phones that are more attractive for me, but get your shit together WP team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom