• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

So hold on - I thought the next big Windows Phone update was coming later this year?
Nope. That was the assumption per the yearly schedules of the competition, but people in the tech press have all but explicitly said that they were told it's not coming until next year.

Warren even said that he was not aware of any Windows Phone news coming out this month.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well there is the EOS unveil next month, and I thought I read somewhere about some news coming regarding Nokia and Microsoft working even closer together.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia probably begging MS to move fast. Offering 100's of software engineers to speed things up I bet.

I hope so. Looking forward to getting the Amber update.

Also, on Friday I'm converting my boring black 920 to red. I having a cell repair place to the swap, since I would probably mess it up.

MCD

I thought with Sinofsky gone the Phone team won't have to wait for the upper teams to launch their shit till they move.

Nothing changed.

hwalker84

2qc14s9.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, if not build.....when? I'm assuming there will be no info on gdr3, since its just a hardware spec update. And since Windows Phone Blue isn't until Spring of next year, there probably won't be any platform news outside of phone releases until mobile world congress next year? February 24, 2014.
That sound about right to you guys? Insane

PG2G

Nokia probably begging MS to move fast. Offering 100's of software engineers to speed things up I bet.

If anything, it is the opposite and Nokia is the reason they have shifted their schedule. I will say, it makes sense to release major updates in Q1/Q2 because that puts them in line with the beginning of the hardware cycle (with regards to SoC releases) instead of the end.

At one point, a source confided that Microsoft had moved away from its original yearly schedule at the request of Nokia, and that Windows Phone was realigned to match the needs of its biggest (by far) hardware partner. I’m not actually sure that’s what happened, but this information came independently from any slip in schedule, so it’s certainly plausible.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-pho...e-81-blue-leak-shows-notification-center-more

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hope it is 5 years. People are already saying this Gen will be much shorter.

also apparently MS ws in talks to buy Nokias mobile division, but it fell through.

hadareud

The Translator
I was ready for the family sharing future and the angry internet mob of consumer champions has taken it away from me.

Can't say I'm happy about it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Now that X1 isn't a riddled with DRM garbage, I can go back to bitching at Joe and co.

It's bittersweet, but I still live in an area with spotty internet and also in a MS grey zone where they aren't sure if I"m in the US half the time so some services don't work and so the less internet requirements, the better. Maybe in 5 years, because there were some cool features I liked. I've scratched and lost several games, so never losing a game would've been cool.

PG2G

They backpedalled, and it caused considerable collateral damage (game sharing, quick switching between games...)

Someone should make a real next gen console one day.

Quick switching between games is gone? Seems like it'd still work with digital games no?

A step back for the industry, but requirements were too strict. 24 hrs between pings was always far too low. Set it to a week and it'd be much better. The damage was done in the public eye, and the industry suffers because of it. I was fully expecting a digital nirvana for the next 6 years as services could be added because of the digital library. Now, we are set back a whole cycle unless the console manufacturers will try to muck with the offerings. Ps4 had a working RFID system in place, as far as my contacts let me know. Not sure whether that was the final plan, but I think the twitter campaign saved their system. Xbox's digital library slaughtered sonys hardware approach afik (though of course I don't know much beyond them testing RFID and charging for used games on new systems)

giga

We're back to zero, guys.

"Starting from Windows Phone GDR2, system updates will be provided directly by Microsoft to OEM manufacturers, OEM manufacturers to join in with your own function to update, and then the OEM vendors push their customers ."

BUILD won't have any phone news.

A step back for the industry, but requirements were too strict. 24 hrs between pings was always far too low. Set it to a week and it'd be much better. The damage was done in the public eye, and the industry suffers because of it. I was fully expecting a digital nirvana for the next 6 years as services could be added because of the digital library. Now, we are set back a whole cycle unless the console manufacturers will try to muck with the offerings. Ps4 had a working RFID system in place, as far as my contacts let me know. Not sure whether that was the final plan, but I think the twitter campaign saved their system. Xbox's digital library slaughtered sonys hardware approach afik (though of course I don't know much beyond them testing RFID and charging for used games on new systems)

Today was a good day.

A step back for the industry, but a strong step forward for the defense of consumer rights. The consumer's money is what feeds the industry, there can't be a gaming industry without the gamers. So who gives a fuck what the industry wants, because it's their job to give gamers what gamers want. If they can't do that, then they need to figure their own shit out instead of trying to grind their customers, the gamers, under a vast heel.

If there's a message that the gamers could all deliver to Ballmer, and hell the next time you see him you can tell him yourself, that message is "Don't piss on our heads and tell us it's raining. We're not buying it."

A step back for the industry, but a strong step forward for the defense of consumer rights. The consumer's money is what feeds the industry, there can't be a gaming industry without the gamers. So who gives a fuck what the industry wants, because it's their job to give gamers what gamers want. If they can't do that, then they need to figure their own shit out instead of trying to grind their customers, the gamers, under a vast heel.

By the industry, I mean gamers. I don't give a crap about publishers or console mabufacturers, I care about games and the services infused with gaming consoles. I'll probably head back to pc gaming after this news for the most part.

By the industry, I mean gamers.

Gamers won today. Consumers won today. The rights of consumers are being preserved another generation, so really everyone in the industry won today except possibly MS, Ubisoft, and EA. And really, though they are too shortsighted to realize it yet, Ubisoft and EA won big by letting their customers trade in their old EA and Ubisoft games so they can buy new EA and Ubisoft games. The industry lives to fight another day, because gamers stood up for their consumer rights.

Gamers won today. Consumers won today. The rights of consumers are being preserved another generation, so really everyone in the industry won today except possibly MS, Ubisoft, and EA. And really, though they are too shortsighted to realize it yet, Ubisoft and EA won big by letting their customers trade in their old EA and Ubisoft games so they can buy new EA and Ubisoft games. The industry lives to fight another day, because gamers stood up for their consumer rights.

On the flip side, this delays the move to mostly or all digital, which allows for better price reduction of games over time and better sales without manufacturing and retail cuts. That happening is also beneficial to EA and Ubisoft being able to get more sales of their games farther from the release window.

On the flip side, this delays the move to mostly or all digital, which allows for better price reduction of games over time and better sales without manufacturing and retail cuts. That happening is also beneficial to EA and Ubisoft being able to get more sales of their games farther from the release window.

There won't ever be a move to all digital until everyone everywhere can download 25-50 GB games off the Internet with decent speed and no bandwidth caps. Internet infrastructure in most of the world will never be adequate for an all-digital console paradigm.

And yeah, I'll shut up about this now too. We can all go fight about this on Gaming side if we really want to.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, lastflowers, you go find Steve Ballmer, and you grab him by the collar, and you tell him "on behalf of true gamers everywhere, YOU lose! No digital libraries, not on our watch, not today, sir!".

Then you stare at him dead in the eyes, pull out a Note 2, create a doodle with the supplied stylus, upload it to instagram, flash cyanogenmod 10.2.6 on the phone, shove it in his face, and say "this.....this is what freedom looks like. Open source, American freedom."

Then you walk away with your clenched fist in the air.

Yeah, lastflowers, you go find Steve Ballmer, and you grab him by the collar, and you tell him "on behalf of true gamers everywhere, YOU lose! No digital libraries, not on our watch, not today, sir!".

Then you stare at him dead in the eyes, pull out a Note 2, create a doodle with the supplied stylus, upload it to instagram, flash cyanogenmod 10.2.6 on the phone, shove it in his face, and say "this.....this is what freedom looks like. Open source, American freedom."

Then you walk away with your clenched fist in the air.

If someone actually showed Ballmer his competitors' mobile devices, he might actually go down to whatever buildings the Windows Phone team are in and lay into them about what a shoddy job they've been doing and what they need to do to actually become competitive with their iOS and Android competition. I honestly don't know how out of touch with what the competition is doing you need to be to allow the current state of Windows Phone but it must be a pretty amazing level of out of touch.

daevv

Did I change something or did they? I use a Samsung ATIVs.

I downloaded the demo for The Oregon Trail HD awhile ago and now that its on sale I no longer see it on the store to buy. If I try to buy the full game through the demo I get to the stores game page it says "App not compatible. App only supports resolutions WVGA (480x800). It's weird I can play the demo fine but cannot buy it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I heard something about a new Wordament update?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was ready for the family sharing future and the angry internet mob of consumer champions has taken it away from me.

Can't say I'm happy about it.

Yeah, I cannot be the only one pissed about this can I?

I was looking forward to the family share and really looking forward to never having to keep discs in my system any more, and not taking discs with me everywhere. I guess it is time to buy every game bloody digitally.

The internet has to ruin everything :(

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah, I cannot be the only one pissed about this can I?

I was looking forward to the family share and really looking forward to never having to keep discs in my system any more, and not taking discs with me everywhere. I guess it is time to buy every game bloody digitally.

The internet has to ruin everything :(

Nope, I've expressed my disappointment many times today. My only hope is that they hinted they might bring back sharing at some point, only saying it will no longer be available "at launch". As for the disc thing I'm still debating whether to go all digital to enable my discless existence or buy retail where I can share the games with my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom