• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
I hope that down the line, they will include the option to "opt in" to the digital DRM and the family sharing etc. are back on the table. Probably it's not going to happen, at least not any time soon.

At the end of the day the consumer didn't win at all, in my opinion. All this does is delay the chance to move forward - the all digitial content future is coming no matter how loud people cry and scream about it with their fingers in their ears. Many of us were ready for it now, and it was a big chance to also take a serious look at our consumer rights in regards to the cloud and digital content. At the moment we have none, and by none I really mean fuck-all. With the Xbox One there was a chance to change that, with things like family sharing and surely also with lending and re-selling down the line. With the community being so touchy screamy, there was a real chance to force Microsoft to take on the topic and to force them to make changes in the consumers favour, which could have had a big impact not only on gaming, but all digital content.

This is now dead, there's no incentive for any company to touch any of that for years and years to come, because people are used to having no rights since they never had any to begin with. And that's a far, far bigger loss than the relatively small drawbacks that the Xbox One DRM would have brought.

But who am I to tell people who knew they were right all along that there may be a bit more to the story.

So with Nokia and Microsoft talk broke down ... can we expect Nokia Android Edition soon? (If Microsoft is doing Surface Phone).

I still don't think Nokia and Microsoft are good match and I am much prefer Nokia be independent of Microsoft. That said, they must be in dire strait to look for buyer, may be Nokia-berry or RIM-Nok? The third place people should get together.

I hope that down the line, they will include the option to "opt in" to the digital DRM and the family sharing etc. are back on the table. Probably it's not going to happen, at least not any time soon.

At the end of the day the consumer didn't win at all, in my opinion. All this does is delay the chance to move forward - the all digitial content future is coming no matter how loud people cry and scream about it with their fingers in their ears. Many of us were ready for it now, and it was a big chance to also take a serious look at our consumer rights in regards to the cloud and digital content. At the moment we have none, and by none I really mean fuck-all. With the Xbox One there was a chance to change that, with things like family sharing and surely also with lending and re-selling down the line. With the community being so touchy screamy, there was a real chance to force Microsoft to take on the topic and to force them to make changes in the consumers favour, which could have had a big impact not only on gaming, but all digital content.

This is now dead, there's no incentive for any company to touch any of that for years and years to come, because people are used to having no rights since they never had any to begin with. And that's a far, far bigger loss than the relatively small drawbacks that the Xbox One DRM would have brought.

But who am I to tell people who knew they were right all along that there may be a bit more to the story.

This is some astonishing cognitive dissonance, but okay. You can take the blue pill and believe whatever it is you want to believe.

MCD

So with Nokia and Microsoft talk broke down ... can we expect Nokia Android Edition soon? (If Microsoft is doing Surface Phone).

I still don't think Nokia and Microsoft are good match and I am much prefer Nokia be independent of Microsoft. That said, they must be in dire strait to look for buyer, may be Nokia-berry or RIM-Nok? The third place people should get together.

WP will be dead without Nokia.

hadareud

The Translator
This is some astonishing cognitive dissonance, but okay. You can take the blue pill and believe whatever it is you want to believe.

No need for the blue pill yet for me, fortunately. But it's nice to know that it's there if you need it when you get older, I suppose.

If you don't agree with what I said that's fine btw. Once we move into the generation after next (if there even will be one) and the vast majority of sales will be downloads (if not all) there's now a real chance that none of the family sharing/lending/re-selling of that content will ever see the light of day. How a short-lived victory to keep the current status-quo for a little bit longer will stand the test of time remains to be seen.

No need for the blue pill yet for me, fortunately. But it's nice to know that it's there if you need it when you get older, I suppose.

If you don't agree with what I said that's fine btw. Once we move into the generation after next (if there even will be one) and the vast majority of sales will be downloads (if not all) there's now a real chance that none of the family sharing/lending/re-selling of that content will ever see the light of day. How a short-lived victory to keep the current status-quo for a little bit longer will stand the test of time remains to be seen.

I don't believe that the vast majority of sales will be downloads as long as the Internet infrastructure in most of the world cannot support people casually connecting and downloading 25-50 GB of game data at a decent speed without bandwidth caps. Discs and physical media will continue to dominate as a distribution method simply because nobody wants to pay to improve Internet infrastructure, and especially in the US large monopolistic Internet providers block improvements at every opportunity so they can continue to fleece their captive audience.

hadareud

The Translator
We're talking about 5 to 10 years from now. Only because it's not feasible right at the moment doesn't mean that it won't be ever.

Compare your broadband speed from 2005 to now and compare the average broadband speed on the planet from 2005 to now and you'll see a massive difference. That trend won't stop. In the UK the average broadband speed has gone up from 3.6 MB in 2008 to 12.0 in 2012. That is a more than 3-fold increase in 4 years. I had a 8 MB connection in 2008, now I'm on 76 MB.

And the same is not just true for the UK, it's everywhere (including developing countries, btw). Have a look at OECD studies about broadband penetration, average speed etc.

We're talking about 5 to 10 years from now. Only because it's not feasible right at the moment doesn't mean that it won't be ever.

Compare your broadband speed from 2005 to now and compare the average broadband speed on the planet from 2005 to now and you'll see a massive difference. That trend won't stop. In the UK the average broadband speed has gone up from 3.6 MB in 2008 to 12.0 in 2012. That is a more than 3-fold increase in 4 years. I had a 8 MB connection in 2008, now I'm on 76 MB.

And the same is not just true for the UK, it's everywhere (including developing countries, btw). Have a look at OECD studies about broadband penetration, average speed etc.

Forget it, it's only cool when Google does it, because they'd give you Google Fiber and free blowjobs on top of it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I went from .5 mbps to 3 mbps in the past five years. Not a big enough jump, and still not reliable enough. Plus, the geographical restrictions would have exacerbated the DRM requirement and locked a lot of people out, maybe even me depending on how a random programmer coded my area. Sometimes they think I'm part of the US, sometimes they don't. Same with bigger places like Puerto Rico. If MS gets it wrong, I wouldn't be able to play my console because of DRM.

There had to have been a better solution from MS, and maybe down the road there will be. A lot of good ideas but too many would've been left behind.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I went from .5 mbps to 3 mbps in the past five years. Not a big enough jump, and still not reliable enough. Plus, the geographical restrictions would have exacerbated the DRM requirement and locked a lot of people out, maybe even me depending on how a random programmer coded my area. Sometimes they think I'm part of the US, sometimes they don't. Same with bigger places like Puerto Rico. If MS gets it wrong, I wouldn't be able to play my console because of DRM.

There had to have been a better solution from MS, and maybe down the road there will be. A lot of good ideas but too many would've been left behind.
treating console discs like PC discs would have gotten around slow internet speeds. Just get the data from the discs if you can't download 30gb. And all you needed was basically a ping to a server for the check, could use 28k for that.

Anyway back to windows phone news.

**crickets**

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's barely alive now, and with Windows Phone 8.1 blue or whatever slated for next year ... yeah it's more dead than ever. We are in last place, let innovate even slower.

This is stupid and annoying. Its the fastest growing platform relative to size, its growing by every metric, not dying. The seeming lack of urgency from the WP team is maddening, we all agree, but to say the platform is more dead than ever is flat wrong. It is more vibrant than ever, its selling more than ever, its growth is accelerating. Not nearly at the pace we (or I) would like, but certainly its not moving in the wrong direction. There will be the EOS next month, a new mid range for Sprint, 925 for t mobile, new hardware in the fall.

Nero3000

Controversial Opinion time: Fuck the notification centre.

I don't need another places to mange things. Everytime i go back to the iPad in the house there is always 5 or so notifications for those stupid games.

Seriously the start screen is good enough. It shows me how many messages i have unread (or with a big tile, what they say) - same with email and calendar. And any app i don't care about is not on my start screen.

iOS has the problem that notifications were intrusive and then just left a numbered-badge. Tiles provide more information (more than just simple notifications). I prefer this model much more.

hwalker84

I don't need another places to mange things. Everytime i go back to the iPad in the house there is always 5 or so notifications for those stupid games.

Seriously the start screen is good enough. It shows me how many messages i have unread (or with a big tile, what they say) - same with email and calendar. And any app i don't care about is not on my start screen.

iOS has the problem that notifications were intrusive and then just left a numbered-badge. Tiles provide more information (more than just simple notifications). I prefer this model much more.

Personally I don't care much for notifications either. But I really like the way the new blackberry OS did it. All I want is quick access to turning off different features and notifications for email, calendar, and a small couple of things.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
treating console discs like PC discs would have gotten around slow internet speeds. Just get the data from the discs if you can't download 30gb. And all you needed was basically a ping to a server for the check, could use 28k for that.

**crickets**

Exactly! If you can't download it, just buy the disc.

Milchjon

I'd like a notification centre for all kinds of personal messages. Like I said yesterday, pull it all together in the Me tile and give me some kind of quick access to it.

All the other shit that's annoying but can help discover things, put that on live tiles (photos, game scores, news stories, weather, etc.)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hope its opt in, not opt out for third party apps. Its so annoying having to go to settings and turning off notifications every single time I install a new app on the app store. Every freaking app wants to be flooding me with ads, alerts I don't care about etc. I have everything turned off on my iPad, but I wouldn't mind an expansion of Me tile functionality. The Me tile is my favorite innovation from windows phone, its already like my personal control center for social media. Making it more powerful wouldn't hurt.

this_guy

Hopefully a notification center will make it easier for more manufacturers to add an led notification light.

Another thing I hate - Nokia exclusive apps that are third party apps such as the ESPN Hub and ESPN Fantasy Football. I can see Nokia specific apps like their camera/photo editor app being exclusive, but third party apps shouldn't be. Now, I have a Nokia 920 so I have access to those apps, but I was also considering the HTC 8x because I prefer how it feels in hand. I think they would be better off trying to grow Windows Phone 8 marketshare as a whole by not fragmenting the user base like that.

The only reason why I'd want a notification center is that push notifications aren't always tied to live tile updates. For example, if I'm watching an item on eBay that's ending soon, I may get a push notification--but if I miss it in that 5 second window, I have no way of knowing that I missed it (well, other than checking eBay/email notifications). My live tile doesn't update to let me know I missed a push notification.

Hopefully a notification center will make it easier for more manufacturers to add an led notification light.

Another thing I hate - Nokia exclusive apps that are third party apps such as the ESPN Hub and ESPN Fantasy Football. I can see Nokia specific apps like their camera/photo editor app being exclusive, but third party apps shouldn't be. Now, I have a Nokia 920 so I have access to those apps, but I was also considering the HTC 8x because I prefer how it feels in hand. I think they would be better off trying to grow Windows Phone 8 marketshare as a whole by not fragmenting the user base like that.

Nokia is paying for those apps and they're still making them available for other phones at some point. If it wasn't for Nokia, those apps wouldn't be available at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
They provided a solution. Buy the physical copy and install the game from there.

That solution doesn't address all of the problems I brought up, though. Honestly, they could've made a few tweaks, like extending DRM time requirements, allowing for an offline mode like steam, alternate console check in methods, etc. They also utterly failed at communicating the advantages, such as family share and cloud library. They also never truly found a satisfying answer for the cabin in the woods, military personnel, rural area conundrum.

I think I'm a bit disappointed with the backpedaling, if only because the difference in DRM structures between the PS4 and the Xbone would have forced everyone (both gamers and Microsoft) to stop talking about consumer "rights" in an abstract sense and put their money where their mouth is. Assuming that people actually saw more value in less restricted PS4 games, Microsoft would have to lower their games from $60. Then, consumers would actually have to think about how much value the right to resell a game freely or share a game freely is worth. $10? $20? It would have been interesting to find out.

Edit: I suppose you could say that Microsoft's willingness to backpedal means that they weren't interested in lowering prices to compete? Maybe.

zedge

Take with a grain of salt..but lol!

I kind if agree. It honestly feel a like I am from another planet than the nerd rage anti DRM brigade. Anyways..

79ebead889dbfc41ca7fdccdc003a90a-don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement.jpg

This is stupid and annoying. Its the fastest growing platform relative to size, its growing by every metric, not dying. The seeming lack of urgency from the WP team is maddening, we all agree, but to say the platform is more dead than ever is flat wrong. It is more vibrant than ever, its selling more than ever, its growth is accelerating. Not nearly at the pace we (or I) would like, but certainly its not moving in the wrong direction. There will be the EOS next month, a new mid range for Sprint, 925 for t mobile, new hardware in the fall.
Sure because everyone is dying to put out Windows Phone and Windows Phone apps.

Only company put out new Windows Phone is Nokia.

giga

I hope its opt in, not opt out for third party apps. Its so annoying having to go to settings and turning off notifications every single time I install a new app on the app store. Every freaking app wants to be flooding me with ads, alerts I don't care about etc. I have everything turned off on my iPad, but I wouldn't mind an expansion of Me tile functionality. The Me tile is my favorite innovation from windows phone, its already like my personal control center for social media. Making it more powerful wouldn't hurt.
Apps can't send you push notifications unless you opted in first. Why didn't you click "don't allow" initially?

How are ads on Gaf breaking the 'Back' button functionality?

The mobile GAF is a webapp wrapper for the GAF content. Something in the way the ad is coded is breaking the back button.

Fortunately, the hardware back button on the device works even when the software one does not. It's allowed me to go back and escape from a page countless times when the webapp fucks up.

The mobile GAF is a webapp wrapper for the GAF content. Something in the way the ad is coded is breaking the back button.

Fortunately, the hardware back button on the device works even when the software one does not. It's allowed me to go back and escape from a page countless times when the webapp fucks up.

huh, my experience is the opposite. i can't use the hardware back button but can use the neogaf logo to move backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom