• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm pretty sure it works with the transfer my data app from Nokia. Though obviously only on lumias.

I didn't try it myself when I switched because I don't actually want to keep old messages.

Troll

Banned
Lastflowers - Microsoft has some cool first party apps for Windows 8 like the sports app, Bing app, travel app and finance app as examples. Any chance we get the Windows Phone versions with the blue update?

Lastflowers - Microsoft has some cool first party apps for Windows 8 like the sports app, Bing app, travel app and finance app as examples. Any chance we get the Windows Phone versions with the blue update?

Why wait for the update when they can just upload them to the store. The last thing we need is more apps tied into the os that can't be updated without a phone update

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The more windows phone and windows 8 are alike the better. Been hoping for these apps to come to phone for awhile.

After playing with the Lumia 520 for a while, I have to say that it's a pretty solid device. It doesn't feel super cheap, the size is great and the camera isn't bad. But I could never use a phone with WVGA screen again. It's okay in the OS and apps, but the browser, the most used app on my phone, is just too low-res. I hope the cheap 920 variant comes rather sooner than later.

If I knew I couldn't say :p
You know, it's hard to fault the developer for not making apps for Windows Phone when Microsoft themselves doesn't do it for their own platform. (See also Skype video messaging).

I thought the reason to reset was to have same kernel as Windows 8 but so far this seem to be just a pipe dream. Now the apps slow down and more devs stop making apps for Windows Phone. This is why it so hard for me to believe when Microsoft keep saying things like we have thing that will blow you away then we get thing like Kids corner or Xbox One.

Ugh, I think I am just sour thinking all the promise of Windows 8 last year. With the way they are treating indie devs, I don't have high hope for any cross functionality with Xbox One, Win 8 and WP.

I know wait for Blue. *sigh* I need to stop reading gaming side.

NeOak

So I recently went on a trip and took a lot of pics and videos with my 920.

My parents have 920s too, but they are amazed at the quality of the shots I took since I was able to get the shitty camera program to do amazing things with the Pureview sensor.

EOS, here I come lol

I think my phone will have to wait until June 2014 before I even think of replacing it unless it breaks earlier. My dad's getting a Galaxy S IV (!) as a company phone.

If only I was working.

Going Android would not help Nokia, they'd just be lost in the sea of Android phones.

People keep saying that and I have no idea why. Though at this point it may indeed be too late for Nokia to go Android. Had they gone Android from the beginning after ditching Symbian, things might have been very different. That ship has sailed now.

Just picked up a Lumia 925 to replace my dingy HTC 8X....Christ, I was missing out. So many little touches with the Nokia compared to other Windows Phone manufacturers. The phone is just gorgeous and the camera is godly.

Just grabbed Instagraph (with Metrogram) anyone know how I can link my Instagram account to Facebook? Or is that a perk only Android and iOS users get?

Anyone know of any recommended Nokia exclusive apps that I'm missing?

People keep saying that and I have no idea why. Though at this point it may indeed be too late for Nokia to go Android. Had they gone Android from the beginning after ditching Symbian, things might have been very different. That ship has sailed now.

Well, why is that? What has changed to make Nokia unable to succeed with Android now if they could have succeeded previously?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I thought the reason to reset was to have same kernel as Windows 8 but so far this seem to be just a pipe dream. Now the apps slow down and more devs stop making apps for Windows Phone.

I'm not picking on you, but my goodness I just can't stand your posts lately. The gaming situation is better now than its ever been, and I've been on windows phone since the beginning. We are actually getting a small number of games day and date with the IOS versions, and that never ever happened before. We even have a third party instagram client that kicks butt, we are getting official apps left and right. I'm not saying the app situation is perfect, but you are saying its somehow worse with wp8 and that baffles me.

Troll

Banned
Just picked up a Lumia 925 to replace my dingy HTC 8X....Christ, I was missing out. So many little touches with the Nokia compared to other Windows Phone manufacturers. The phone is just gorgeous and the camera is godly.

Just grabbed Instagraph (with Metrogram) anyone know how I can link my Instagram account to Facebook? Or is that a perk only Android and iOS users get?

Anyone know of any recommended Nokia exclusive apps that I'm missing?

I can only imagine what it's like over on WP's East Berlin. Maybe Belfiore can get a reunification out of Elop when he buys Nokia.

Nokia has an image problem, they have had one for awhile now. When my brother was looking at pay as you go smartphones for his graduation Nokia didnt even enter his mind. To him they were an old company that made nothing but dumbphones that were unbreakable. To him blackberry was a much more reliable brand, even though the phones he would have got would have been 2 generations old or an extremely low end android device.

It took me a day to dispel all the myths behind Nokia and only recently has he been begging our parents for the 520.

I've pretty much talked to everyone in my family and they all held this same view until they saw my phone and used it first hand.

Nokia has an image problem in North America, one that's enough to essentially halt any progress they try to make.

I'm not picking on you, but my goodness I just can't stand your posts lately. The gaming situation is better now than its ever been, and I've been on windows phone since the beginning. We are actually getting a small number of games day and date with the IOS versions, and that never ever happened before. We even have a third party instagram client that kicks butt, we are getting official apps left and right. I'm not saying the app situation is perfect, but you are saying its somehow worse with wp8 and that baffles me.

I am sorry but I just don't see the avalanche of apps and games you are talking about. I think you are just more optimistic than I am and it could be all the apps I an seeing on my Nexus that I just don't see in Windows Phone market. Spotify is pretty much stall, Pageonce is out, no Mints, no Amex, Amazon apps, Kindle and Audibles could use update and list go on and on.

I rather be using my Lumia than the Nexus or my One X. And may be that just sour my mood every times I have to use my Nexus when I need to use Mints or Pinterest. It doesn't help when you read about developer stop supporting WP or Microsoft themselves treating this platform like red headed stepchild.

I promise to be less Negative Nancy and sorry for not feeling so positive watching all the boneheaded moves Microsoft have been doing.

Troll

Banned
:-X

Yeah, after reading the link it's piracy. I'm not sure what Gafs rules are with links to it so I'll edit it out. Pretty sure its not allowed.

Is it? Why would WPCental promote that?

I'd say that technically it is, yes The licenses for those apps don't cover non-Nokia devices. I'm not a legal expert, but I'd say it's like cracking a video game that is only intended to run on AMD cards. Just because it's somewhat easy to cirumvent the protection and it would run perfectly fine on your Nvidia card, it doesn't mean you're allowed to do it. The license holder or developer was paid for the exclusivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom