• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right. Some new paradigm may come along and smartphones may not even be necessary. My bet's on wearable computers.

I know this isn't what you were implying.

If you're betting on wearable computers, Google Glass is already out in the real world. Nokia's doomed in that scenario too.

Tee hee.

hadareud

The Translator
Glass is the one thing I really am not interested in in the slightest.

I'm the only one in my family to not need glasses. I'm proud not to have the eyesight of a mole and delighted not to have to wear something on my nose all the time, apart from sunglasses which at least, much like smoking, make you look cool.

Glass does not make you look cool. In addition to making you look like wearing glasses, they also make you look like a bloody nerd.

I may have caved on tablets, but I will never buy something that I have to wear which I'm not already wearing anyway.

Glass is the one thing I really am not interested in in the slightest.

I'm the only one in my family to not need glasses. I'm proud not to have the eyesight of a mole and delighted not to have to wear something on my nose all the time, apart from sunglasses which at least, much like smoking, make you look cool.

Glass does not make you look cool. In addition to making you look like wearing glasses, they also make you look like a bloody nerd.

I may have caved on tablets, but I will never buy something that I have to wear which I'm not already wearing anyway.

I've worn glasses my entire life. I'm hoping to get LASIK done this year and finally end my long lifetime of suffering, but one thing I am looking forward to once I am free of mandatory corrective lenses just to live is experiencing things like 3D movies, Oculus Rift, and Google Glass which I have never before been able to use because of my severe nearsightedness. I don't expect someone like you to understand what it's like to be blind without glasses. One day hopefully soonish I'll be able to choose of my own free will what I can and will put on my head, and I don't give a fuck what other people think is "cool" or not.

Milchjon

I've worn glasses my entire life. I'm hoping to get LASIK done this year and finally end my long lifetime of suffering, but one thing I am looking forward to once I am free of mandatory corrective lenses just to live is experiencing things like 3D movies, Oculus Rift, and Google Glass which I have never before been able to use because of my severe nearsightedness. I don't expect someone like you to understand what it's like to be blind without glasses. One day hopefully soonish I'll be able to choose of my own free will what I can and will put on my head, and I don't give a fuck what other people think is "cool" or not.

Even if you disregard the looks, I don't think Google's current approach to Glass software gives you any practical advantage use it beyond creepshots and maybe a quick voice note.

But who knows, maybe someday we'll see some apps that are possible only on Glass that will convince me of the opposite. It won't be notifications, headlines, tweets and navigation though, that's for sure. Maybe some "find my friends in the crowd" stuff or some live info overlays or whatever.

Even if you disregard the looks, I don't think Google's current approach to Glass software gives you any practical advantage use it beyond creepshots and maybe a quick voice note.

But who knows, maybe someday we'll see some apps that are possible only on Glass that will convince me of the opposite. It won't be notifications, headlines, tweets and navigation though, that's for sure. Maybe some "find my friends in the crowd" stuff or some live info overlays or whatever.

Well, augmented reality is supposed to overlay the real world with useful information. Kind of like a real-life application of the HUDs in games which always conveniently display a map of the area, a quest marker, the health of yourself and your AI or human partners, a radar, etc. I don't think anyone wants notifications or tweets or Facebook in augmented reality. They want cool shit like an overhead map which draws the route you need to follow to get to where you're going, for instance.

I'm trying to imagine how awesome an Ingress-like game would be with augmented reality though.

I trust Nokia to do a lot, but I don't think even they could make a Glass like contraption non-ridiculous and practical.

TrBMC5R.jpg

Admit it, you're getting wet.

hadareud

The Translator

Don't worry. I'm in my mid-30's now.

There's a decent chance that at some point in the not too distant future my eyesight will deteriorate and I'll need at least reading glasses.

But there's no reason to voluntarily wear glasses for me, so I won't.

As for 3d films, you're not missing much. There's perhaps 1 film every other year that makes decent use of it, and even that's optimistic. The only film where it actually added something for me was Avatar. Having waited for a long time, your disappointment will be even greater once you get to see how superficial it is.

Milchjon

Well, augmented reality is supposed to overlay the real world with useful information. Kind of like a real-life application of the HUDs in games which always conveniently display a map of the area, a quest marker, the health of yourself and your AI or human partners, a radar, etc. I don't think anyone wants notifications or tweets or Facebook in augmented reality. They want cool shit like an overhead map which draws the route you need to follow to get to where you're going, for instance.

I'm trying to imagine how awesome an Ingress-like game would be with augmented reality though.

Of course we'd all love that. Nothing I've seen of Glass proves it's capable of that, though. Why would Google spend so much time on developing hardware without making some killer software to show off on it? I don't get it.

http://i.imgur.com/TrBMC5R.jpg[MG]

Admit it, you're getting wet.[/QUOTE]

With and without Google Glass, no doubt.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Unknown soldier being practically blind goes a long way towards explaining his preference for large, ugly phones running touchwiz.

Unknown soldier being practically blind goes a long way towards explaining his preference for large, ugly phones running touchwiz.

I prioritize function over form, something that owners of devices without Instagram, separate sliders for ringtone and media volume, and a notification center clearly do not.

I'm actually curious which of the apps I use daily are actually available on Windows Phone. And no, I don't even use Instagram.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm actually curious which of the apps I use daily are actually available on Windows Phone. And no, I don't even use Instagram.
what apps would they be?

I use very few apps on my phone to be honest. Mainly have it for the web browser and a few other things.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If you did use instagram, you'd be fine with the platform. We've had a fully featured client for weeks now, but you've been too busy fellating Samsung and android to notice.

edit: keep trolling, let the kids do their job.

Windu

This is potentially big:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/26/4...s-microsoft-windows-phone-ios-android-duopoly

They are the second largest European carrier after Vodafone.
As part of its marketing focus, the mobile giant has also pledged to "provide customers with a more personal smartphone experience like Windows Phone offers." It hopes its actions will make the market "more competitive" and dilute the "polarisation of installed base in operating platforms." To do this, the company says it will work with suppliers to ensure "the availability of high-quality devices," tapping up manufacturers like Nokia, HTC, and Samsung to get their products onto the shelves of its regional carrier stores.
sooo all of the WP OEMs.

If you did use instagram, you'd be fine with the platform. We've had a fully featured client for weeks now, but you've been too busy fellating Samsung and android to notice.

Quit trolling and get the fuck out of this thread, your bullshit is getting old already and its obvious now you have nothing to actually contribute. I can visit the android thread and not be an asshole, its not that hard.

Wow, okay. Everyone else seemed to be having fun with me here until you suddenly barged in and got all hostile like you always do. I don't know what your problem is but no one else here seems to have it, with me or anybody else who visits from Android GAF, so I'm guessing the problem here isn't the rest of us. This isn't your personal forum and it's not your personal thread. Stop trying to start personal shit with me because quite frankly I don't care.

Milchjon

Wow, okay. Everyone else seemed to be having fun with me here until you suddenly barged in and got all hostile like you always do. I don't know what your problem is but no one else here seems to have it, with me or anybody else who visits from Android GAF, so I'm guessing the problem here isn't the rest of us. This isn't your personal forum and it's not your personal thread. Stop trying to start personal shit with me because quite frankly I don't care.

You wandered down the path of "Nokia can't compete with Google Glass" and "WP doesn't have apps" for the n-th time in the history of this thread.

Not saying you should keep out of this thread (nobody likes insularity), but I can see where VanMardigan is coming from.

Nero3000

sooo all of the WP OEMs.

There is Huwaei. Saw one in an o2 store the other day. Wasn't a bad value proposition.

I don't think Samsung will be participating in the next round, if you consider what they did this round as participating.

Who knows if HTC will be around. They may make some drastic decisions to cut WP support.

You wandered down the path of "Nokia can't compete with Google Glass" and "WP doesn't have apps" for the n-th time in the history of this thread.

Not saying you should keep out of this thread (nobody likes insularity), but I can see where VanMardigan is coming from.

Jeez, someone else brought up wearable computers as a joke. I just followed him down the rabbit hole.

And VanMardigan was the one who showed up and promptly started insulting me, like he always does. And then he got all pissed when I stood up to him, like I always do. Anyways, the point is moot. To keep the peace, I've put him on my Ignore List so I won't see or feel the need to respond to his posts anymore.

Speak for yourself, Jon.

Windu

The market share was the same when verizon chose the mid range Samsung wp8 phone they have and worse when at&t put out the Focus S two years ago.
Well wp had a chance (small chance) to be a big market leader back then, now? eh. maybe 10% at some point.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Then why would Verizon pick the mid range Samsung?

edit: the few folks who night the Ativ S like it, I don't see why Verizon would choose the mid range instead of it. That's what I'm baffled about.

Doffen

My 920 has started to misbehave. I'm debating with myself if I should just buy a new one (since they are cheap now) or wait for EOS.

Nero3000

//Build/ Drinking Game:

Every time MS mentions the next generation of Windows Phone: Take a shot.

Might as-well be a bottle :(

Milchjon

Finally tried the 925.
It's horribly light and the aluminum edges still look ugly, but side by side with the 920, I still prefer AMOLED.

hadareud

The Translator
Received my Surface!

I ordered the touch-cover separately, because there wasn't one included with the one I bought. At least going by the product description.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and the touch-cover was included after all.

Not bad for 295 pounds.

The touch-cover I bought separately was 55 quid (also new), so I'll just sell that on Ebay. They're going for around 70 to 90 quid on average, so I'll actually make a profit on it and bring the total price down even further.

What a bargain!

Don't worry. I'm in my mid-30's now.

There's a decent chance that at some point in the not too distant future my eyesight will deteriorate and I'll need at least reading glasses.

But there's no reason to voluntarily wear glasses for me, so I won't.

As for 3d films, you're not missing much. There's perhaps 1 film every other year that makes decent use of it, and even that's optimistic. The only film where it actually added something for me was Avatar. Having waited for a long time, your disappointment will be even greater once you get to see how superficial it is.

I go out of my way to not watch any movie in 3D ... it's headache inducing with little added value.

I can imagine Cyan color Nokia Lumia Glasses power by Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom