• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
Because I played with my girlfriend's yesterday (she just got one as a gift) and I was impressed with it.

And being the weak individual that I am, I just couldn't wait to buy one.

I paid around 350 quid for the 32 GB version and a black touch-cover. Both new, so it's a fairly decent deal I guess.

Magni

My one tiny nitpick with the keyboard is that it really doesn't like switching from English to other languages. I always hit period or space instead.

Yeah, I switch between English and French multiple times a day everyday and I almost never get it from the first try. Sometimes I'll have to try up to a dozen times to get it, it's pretty bad seeing how the rest of the keyboard is great.

From experience I've had better luck when my thumb is perfectly vertical.

Nero3000

ahh the age old question of bringing up a phone os on a tablet, or pulling down a desktop os on a tablet:

3bxRqQ0.png

Yeah, I switch between English and French multiple times a day everyday and I almost never get it from the first try. Sometimes I'll have to try up to a dozen times to get it, it's pretty bad seeing how the rest of the keyboard is great.

From experience I've had better luck when my thumb is perfectly vertical.
Its odd that you guys say this. I find it to be far too easy to change the keyboard language. Its always switching from English to French on accident

Milchjon

Its odd that you guys say this. I find it to be far too easy to change the keyboard language. Its always switching from English to French on accident

I always thought it was collateral damage caused by the button's position. I think I saw a pic once with some kind of "probability hitbox" overlaid, where more commonly used keys are actually slightly bigger than what you see on the screen. And since period and space are very important keys, the language switch gets a bit smaller between those.

Could just be my imagination, though.

f0lken

Nice. 6sec is awesome.

Yeah it really is, also it looks really good, the interface is pretty good (but Rudy should make the panel where you like, share and comment a little more easy to discover, it's hidden but once you know where it is then is a non issue). And if the promise of uploading to Instagram Video along with a Vine in the same app materializes then it will be the superior option.

A while back I saw some article about your Xbox avatar having a WP8 device prop -- or whatever they're called. The other day I noticed my avatar playing with a WP and then after a while it disappeared like the normal props.

Is there a way to keep it or is it just a random thing that happens?

PG2G

Am I the only one who is tired of the number convention.

Don't really have a problem with it. Pretty much every other piece of consumer electronics uses it. It is good because it gives folks an understanding of where a product stands in the line up without having to dig too far into specs and what not.

hwalker84

Don't really have a problem with it. Pretty much every other piece of consumer electronics uses it. It is good because it gives folks an understanding of where a product stands in the line up without having to dig too far into specs and what not.

It's going to sound absurd when we get the Lumia 2298

Nero3000

Well if we assume that increments will go in 10's from now on i.e. 930 this year, 940 next year - then we are good for the next 7 years, where a new naming scheme can come in.

This naming scheme makes more sense than others. Gives clear direction on what generation and value tier each phone is on.

Is there a better naming scheme in use at the moment? No.

PG2G

Haha, I don't think it'll be like that. We'll have the 5XX, 6XX, 7XX, 8XX, 9XX, and 10XX series. I'm guessing the 9XX will remain the flagships where 10XX will be specialized devices. They can still go pretty far with this numbering convention.

DedValve

Banned
Is it possible to disable voice chat on blutooth headphones? I hate listening to music to have it pause for 8 seconds every time I get a text. I remember looking at my Bluetooth connections and sometimes it'll say music and other times voice,music.

the times when it does say music there are no interruptions when getting texts. Or do I have to do that through the headphones themselves? Any way to completely disable voice?

PG2G

Is it possible to disable voice chat on blutooth headphones? I hate listening to music to have it pause for 8 seconds every time I get a text. I remember looking at my Bluetooth connections and sometimes it'll say music and other times voice,music.

the times when it does say music there are no interruptions when getting texts. Or do I have to do that through the headphones themselves? Any way to completely disable voice?

Speech -> Read aloud incoming text messages -> off

hadareud

The Translator
We should come up with a new naming convention.

We're currently in the second generation of Lumias.

Therefore I think the next flagship Lumia should be called lumiaPhone 3. The mid and lower range models could be named accordingly. lumiaPhone 3 -1, -2, -3 etc.

The tricky part is how to name the EOS and Phablet. I suggest lumiaPhone 2, the one with the rather good camera & lumiaPhone 2 + 2 inch.

I think I'm onto a winner here.

kharma45

I'm so torn on this phone. Its the phone I've been waiting for in terms of camera, but the same chip set and screen as the phone I've had since last November seems like a real waste of my upgrade. Ugh, its stressing me out.

That's why I'm going to hold off on it, no point plonking down a load of cash solely for that camera.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's why I'm going to hold off on it, no point plonking down a load of cash solely for that camera.

Yeah, I know, that's what I'm saying now. But when Nokia presents it, talks about how awesome it is, and sample shots start showing up across the web, my knees will weaken. Hopefully The Verge scores it a 6.0 or lower so I can use their review as justification for skipping it.

kharma45

Yeah, I know, that's what I'm saying now. But when Nokia presents it, talks about how awesome it is, and sample shots start showing up across the web, my knees will weaken. Hopefully The Verge scores it a 6.0 or lower so I can use their review as justification for skipping it.

My fear is that in November or whatever it'll be refreshed with the new gen of hardware.

Well if we assume that increments will go in 10's from now on i.e. 930 this year, 940 next year - then we are good for the next 7 years, where a new naming scheme can come in.

This naming scheme makes more sense than others. Gives clear direction on what generation and value tier each phone is on.

Is there a better naming scheme in use at the moment? No.

You're implying with a great deal of optimism that Nokia will be around and still making phones in 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom