• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm liking 8.1, I already did boot to desktop and unified background and it feels like a cohesive OS.

There is no notification center yet, right?

TTOOLL

Hi WP GAF!
I can get a Lumia 520 for free if I renew my plan. Is it worth using it instead of my 710? The only difference I can think about is the flash.

So I want to give Xbox Music a go - seeing as I run 3 Win8 (8.1) devices, and my girlfriend and I have a Lumia each - is it any good?

Whats the playlist management like?

I would be leaving Spotify to do this...opinions and advice are welcome!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hi WP GAF!
I can get a Lumia 520 for free if I renew my plan. Is it worth using it instead of my 710? The only difference I can think about is the flash.

If those two were my options, I'd go with the 520. But if I'm renewing my contract, I'm taking the best possible phone, even if it means paying. So if you can get a subsidy on a higher end Lumia, like a 720, 820 or preferably 920, then you should pay the difference.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Hi WP GAF!
520 runs wp8. 710 runs wp7.

edit: also dual core vs. Single

PG2G

So I want to give Xbox Music a go - seeing as I run 3 Win8 (8.1) devices, and my girlfriend and I have a Lumia each - is it any good?

Whats the playlist management like?

I would be leaving Spotify to do this...opinions and advice are welcome!

See if you can find a trial or just get one month. I haven't used Spotify before, but Xbox Music definitely needs some fleshing out in lots of areas. I'll say my biggest annoyance is mismatched music (causes playlists to stream instead of playing local files, etc) but that would probably be a non issue if your library is primarily Xbox Music content.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, my primary library is Xbox Music so I have avoided the majority of the miss match issues. The preview app is definitely a nice improvement.

I find it quite funny how a phone with a single-core Snapdragon and just 512 megabytes of RAM still runs pretty well and can handle general web browsing with lots of tabs open well into 2013.

The "power" of Windows Phone, huh?

I keep thinking that I'll be able to hold phone upgrades for another year safely as long as it doesn't break. Speaking of breaking, I think I'm getting a whole lot more clumsy. I've dropped my phone face down again tonight, and... I'm impressed ay the screen. Still hasn't shattered yet.

TTOOLL

If those two were my options, I'd go with the 520. But if I'm renewing my contract, I'm taking the best possible phone, even if it means paying. So if you can get a subsidy on a higher end Lumia, like a 720, 820 or preferably 920, then you should pay the difference.

yeah I know, but I'm buying some furniture for my new apartment. I can't spend a lot of money on a cellphone right now. The 920 is like 1000 dollars here, lol.

PG2G

Apparently a Mint app is coming soon, according to the BUILD conference blog on arstechnica. I guess its possible it could have been for Windows 8 too tho, since i don't have the actual stream to listen to the exact wording.

derFeef

Can someone punch the Spotify guys for me, thanks. Not a single update since the app release, still a horrible app lacking feaures - I will let my month run out and wave goodbye.

flippedb

Banned
If I want the Lumia 820 on a new plan I'd have to pay zomething around 30 Euro a month for 18 months, which includes 100 SMS (!), 100 minutes (!!) and 3 GB to download (!). And I'd also have to pay around 200 Euro for the phone itself.

I might as well cut my dick. Fuck those rates.

Okay....help!

I've got my music pass, created my playlist on Xbox Music (Win 8.1) and my phone now sees my playlist...do I really have to download it song by song? Why are songs in my collection (that are not on Xbox Music) automatically removed from the playlist?

Why is this such an utter ballache?

EDIT: Scratch that, I found the select all/download option...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up a 520 as a backup phone/Xbox music player. Really impressed with the phone so far. Love the size of the phone and the screen does the job as does the camera (pretty surprised by the camera actually). I also really like that if I have maps downloaded I can use them with WiFi or a sim card.

PG2G

Okay....help!

I've got my music pass, created my playlist on Xbox Music (Win 8.1) and my phone now sees my playlist...do I really have to download it song by song? Why are songs in my collection (that are not on Xbox Music) automatically removed from the playlist?

Why is this such an utter ballache?

EDIT: Scratch that, I found the select all/download option...

Yeah, the whole playlist thing really only works for playlists you create locally (on device) or maybe if you use some sync client. The cloud playlists only work with songs that are on Xbox Music.

For the 620 I would have to pay 200 reais, for the 820 900 reais and for the 920 1400 reais. No 720 so far.

The subsides here are TERRIBLE.

The 520 is a great little phone, actually. My gf has the 620 and loves it, and I believe they have the same internal hardware minus the flash, screen, and storage. You really can't go wrong with any of the new Lumia phones. Free is always good, too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how much an unlock code would be for the 520 and where I would get it from?

edit: Found a place and it will cost $15.

hadareud

The Translator
Did anyone notice that the Twitter app now translates foreign language tweets using bing translate when you open them up?

Pretty cool.

Also, a major new feature in a major ap that debuts on Windows Phone? What the fuck is going on?

Apparently a Mint app is coming soon, according to the BUILD conference blog on arstechnica. I guess its possible it could have been for Windows 8 too tho, since i don't have the actual stream to listen to the exact wording.

I hope it is Windows Phone ! Only one of few apps I actually want to have on Windows Phone. (Next is Starbucks and Amex apps, but Starbucks already said no to Windows Phone support).

Well that's already 200% more than those working on the Spotify app.
(im angry...)

Oh yeah, an update to Spotify would be nice. I have been using it since Xbox Music suck so bad on laptop and would love to have app on the phone. Wasn't there a report that Microsoft is blocking Spotify to promote Xbox Music?

Joe

This is probably my 10th time asking for phone advice in this thread but I promise I'm actually going to buy one this time!

I've limited it to 3 phones: Nexus 4, Lumia 920, HTC 8x

I will post my perceived pro's and con's of each and then hopefully from that you can chime in with your opinions.

I will be buying a phone used off of ebay, I am on AT&T in the USA.

Nexus 4
+ 2gb ram
+ wealth of apps
+ android updates as soon as they are available

- android getting glitchy over time
- malware
- no lte

Lumia 920
+ camera lens and image stabilization
+ cinemagraphs
+ 32gb storage

- size and weight
- lack of apps that i use
- wp8 looks a little TOO clean (bland and boring)

8x
+ form factor
+ ridiculously sexy limelight color
+ most inexpensive of the 3

- probably the least impressive of the 3 in hardware

Ok so for context I'm using now an iPhone 3GS. It was a hand-me-down from a friend and it's incredibly frustrating to use especially since I updated to the latest firmware.

The apps I use the most are Pandora, Words With Friends, and Instagram.

I keep checking the Windows Store for WWF reviews and they're almost all horrible and that worries me. How is the Itsdagram app going? I feel like it could go away any second and not be available any more and thus no Instagram on WP.

What would you do?

MarkusRJR

Holy shit. Just heard about the Flipboard announcement. So fucking awesome. I'm legitimately in love with my phone now that Flipboard is confirmed coming.

hadareud

The Translator
This is probably my 10th time asking for phone advice in this thread but I promise I'm actually going to buy one this time!

I've limited it to 3 phones: Nexus 4, Lumia 920, HTC 8x

I will post my perceived pro's and con's of each and then hopefully from that you can chime in with your opinions.

I will be buying a phone used off of ebay, I am on AT&T in the USA.

Nexus 4
+ 2gb ram
+ wealth of apps
+ android updates as soon as they are available

- android getting glitchy over time
- malware
- no lte

Lumia 920
+ camera lens and image stabilization
+ cinemagraphs
+ 32gb storage

- size and weight

8x
+ form factor
+ ridiculously sexy limelight color
+ most inexpensive of the 3

- probably the least impressive of the 3 in hardware

Ok so for context I'm using now an iPhone 3GS. It was a hand-me-down from a friend and it's incredibly frustrating to use especially since I updated to the latest firmware.

The apps I use the most are Pandora, Words With Friends, and Instagram.

I keep checking the Windows Store for WWF reviews and they're almost all horrible and that worries me. How is the Itsdagram app going? I feel like it could go away any second and not be available any more and thus no Instagram on WP.

What would you do?

Obviously any advise you'll get is likely to be biased.

Personally, I'd go for the 920, but of course the Nexus would be a good choice too.

If you do go for Windows Phone, definitely go for the 920. The exclusive apps and the camera can't be ignored. Of course the 8X looks nice and is smaller and lighter, but with Nokia you know what you'll get. Constant updates and added features you won't see on other phones.

As for the apps, Instance (formerly Itsdagram) is excellent. In my opinion it's no worse than the official app on Android. Pandora is said to be excellent too, with some people saying it's better than on the other 2 (I couldn't tell you myself, because I'm not in the US so I can't use it).

Words with friends I don't play so I can't help you there. I'd have a look at it, but there's no free trial. The reviews are indeed horrendous though.

Anyway, I suggest playing Wordament instead. Best word game ever. And it's free and has Xbox live achievements.

About to turn in my 920 for repairs... gets hot, system locks and screen freezes, sometimes with green pixels or the whole screen gets like a green filter... Also the screen dies and when you press the power button the screen is black but the 3 buttons on the bottom lights up. Hard reset and total reset of phone didnt work eighter.. anyone else had problems like this? Started like this for like 2 weeks, then I had no problems for around 3-4 weeks and after I charged the phone 2 days ago it just started again..

Want to love it but its so hard when you cant trust your phone:/ Shouldve gone for Samsung..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom