• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Obviously any advise you'll get is likely to be biased.

Personally, I'd go for the 920, but of course the Nexus would be a good choice too.

If you do go for Windows Phone, definitely go for the 920. The exclusive apps and the camera can't be ignored. Of course the 8X looks nice and is smaller and lighter, but with Nokia you know what you'll get. Constant updates and added features you won't see on other phones.

As for the apps, Instance (formerly Itsdagram) is excellent. In my opinion it's no worse than the official app on Android. Pandora is said to be excellent too, with some people saying it's better than on the other 2 (I couldn't tell you myself, because I'm not in the US so I can't use it).

Words with friends I don't play so I can't help you there. I'd have a look at it, but there's no free trial. The reviews are indeed horrendous though.

Anyway, I suggest playing Wordament instead. Best word game ever. And it's free and has Xbox live achievements.

Thanks for the reply! I was looking hard at the 8x but you're making me reconsider.

About to turn in my 920 for repairs... gets hot, system locks and screen freezes, sometimes with green pixels or the whole screen gets like a green filter... Also the screen dies and when you press the power button the screen is black but the 3 buttons on the bottom lights up. Hard reset and total reset of phone didnt work eighter.. anyone else had problems like this? Started like this for like 2 weeks, then I had no problems for around 3-4 weeks and after I charged the phone 2 days ago it just started again..

Want to love it but its so hard when you cant trust your phone:/ Shouldve gone for Samsung..

I'm very worried about this.

Milchjon

AMOLED seems to be a great indicator of total usage time. My friend got his 800 a few months later and uses it less, and there's a really noticeable difference in brightness.

Fjolle

Wow. BB10 is such a success that they didn't even bother telling people how many of their 6.8m shipped phones were BB7...

E: 2.7 m.. :lol

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
This is probably my 10th time asking for phone advice in this thread but I promise I'm actually going to buy one this time!

I've limited it to 3 phones: Nexus 4, Lumia 920, HTC 8x

I will post my perceived pro's and con's of each and then hopefully from that you can chime in with your opinions.

I will be buying a phone used off of ebay, I am on AT&T in the USA.

Nexus 4
+ 2gb ram
+ wealth of apps
+ android updates as soon as they are available

- android getting glitchy over time
- malware
- no lte

Lumia 920
+ camera lens and image stabilization
+ cinemagraphs
+ 32gb storage

- size and weight
- lack of apps that i use
- wp8 looks a little TOO clean (bland and boring)

8x
+ form factor
+ ridiculously sexy limelight color
+ most inexpensive of the 3

- probably the least impressive of the 3 in hardware
- lack of apps that i use
- wp8 looks a little TOO clean (bland and boring)

Ok so for context I'm using now an iPhone 3GS. It was a hand-me-down from a friend and it's incredibly frustrating to use especially since I updated to the latest firmware.

The apps I use the most are Pandora, Words With Friends, and Instagram.

I keep checking the Windows Store for WWF reviews and they're almost all horrible and that worries me. How is the Itsdagram app going? I feel like it could go away any second and not be available any more and thus no Instagram on WP.

What would you do?
no mlb at bat on WP.

MarkusRJR

Dayum. BBRY is basically dead at this point. They're actually releasing a new BB7 device since demand is there for businesses that don't want to move over to the BB10 services.

*hugs my Z10 but at the same time hugs my Ativ S*

WP8 or BB10?
WP8. I'm so pumped. I loved Flipboard when I was using my ghetto android phone and my iPod Touch. So stylish and sleek. I sideloaded the android one onto my Z10 but it was annoying since it would have frame drops every now and then and was occasionally unresponsive.

Also, don't forget the people hub.

w40e9m1.jpg

In the first demonstration of Windows Phone 8.1, I want to show you the People Hub ...

ElNino

Canada is the last gasp for BB. Patriotism and non stop ads on TV in Canada are keeping it alive.
That and many companies will still only supply BB devices to employees. Mine will allow email access (via GOOD) for personal devices, but only if you are management level or above. Everyone else either needs to use Citrix (which blows on a phone) or uses a BB if its a shared device for support rotation.

It sucks when I'm on on-call and I need to carry an old school Motorola pager, a BB 9700 and my Lumia.

hadareud

The Translator
Nobody cares.

Well I don't care about Blackberry either, I actually find their demise rather sad.

I just want to see people's reaction to it. I'm almost certain that in the thread for last quarters numbers somebody said that Thorsten Heins is probably the best CEO in the world currently and that the turnaround at Blackberry was astonishing.

My only joy in life is to see others proved wrong, essentially.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That and many companies will still only supply BB devices to employees. Mine will allow email access (via GOOD) for personal devices, but only if you are management level or above. Everyone else either needs to use Citrix (which blows on a phone) or uses a BB if its a shared device for support rotation.

It sucks when I'm on on-call and I need to carry an old school Motorola pager, a BB 9700 and my Lumia.

That sucks. I'm watching F1 right now and that BB10 ad plays every commercial break. Sick of that song.

Talon

Well I don't care about Blackberry either, I actually find their demise rather sad.

I just want to see people's reaction to it. I'm almost certain that in the thread for last quarters numbers somebody said that Thorsten Heins is probably the best CEO in the world currently and that the turnaround at Blackberry was astonishing.

My only joy in life is to see others proved wrong, essentially.
The BlackBerry thread cycle since 2010:

Bad News about BlackBerry -> lol BlackBerry -> I can't use touchscreen keyboards -> Mike Lazaridis quotes about the iPhone -> I miss real keyboards but would never buy a BlackBerry -> They should make Android devices -> They're a services company now -> BBM bullshit

Talon

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/28/blackberry-shares-fall-loss

6.8 million phones shipped, apparently 2.7 of which are BB7 as per Fjolle.
168$ loss, shares 20 % down in pre-market trading.
More pointedly, a decline of 4 million in subscribers.
BlackBerry has just revealed a drop of four million subscribers over the quarter. The total subscriber count now stands at 72 million, down from 76 million in Q4 2013, and 79 million in Q3 2013. It also announced that its PlayBook tablet will not be updated to BlackBerry 10. The company refused to discuss quarterly sales of BlackBerry 10 smartphones or the split of BlackBerry 7 / 10 devices sold, but revealed it had shipped 2.7 million BlackBerry 10 devices in total, giving BB10 a maximum 40 percent share of total smartphone sales.

antique gamer owes me an apology!

I am glad we finally see more apps coming out as result of the reset and sharing kernel with Windows 8. (It's been over 8 months since WP8, I assume this is due to SDK being so late.). I hope this continue and not because //build is this week. (Yes I am still pessimistic, but promise of Mint have renew my hope for Windows Phone getting more apps).

I am glad we finally see more apps coming out as result of the reset and sharing kernel with Windows 8. (It's been over 8 months since WP8, I assume this is due to SDK being so late.). I hope this continue and not because //build is this week. (Yes I am still pessimistic, but promise of Mint have renew my hope for Windows Phone getting more apps).

As WinRT gets bigger, and they share more and more API between phone and desktop/tablet, the value proposition gets larger. Hopefully with the redesign to big windows' store, better quality applications get more surface time. The one thing I really like about the WP store is that our 'best rated' etc etc columns do a decent job of surfacing higher quality applications. Now, there are other problems (that 100 different facebook applications), but in a general sense I've been pleased with discoverability.

It's been like this for months now and that's not even hyperbole.

Here's a list of official apps that got released in the past 3 months:

ABC News
Xfinity Remote
ING banking app
iFixit
Discovery Communications (3 apps, actually; Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet)
Disqus (beating iOS and Android versions to market)
E! Online
Taptalk
Rando
TeamViewer
McDonalds (Germany)
Domino's Pizza (US)
Adobe Reader (for WP8)
Tumblr
Splashtop 2
Hulu Plus
BBC iPlayer
Foursquare for WP8

Significant updates:
NBC News (added voice commands)
Official Twitter (added translator, Lens + filters)
Shazam (automation + lyrics, WP8 support, Nokia Music integration)
Call of Duty: Elite (feature parity)
Skydrive (timeline view and rull res uploads)

3rd Party:
Instagram client (+ video support)
Vine client
Snapchat client

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Unlocked my 520 for $15. Pretty easy, got the code in less than 24 hours. It will be nice to have a backup phone just in case.

JaggedSac

My wife dropped her 900 a couple days ago and shattered her glass. Insurance allowed her to get the 920 for $120. Pretty good deal especially since she was affected by the AT&T upgrade eligibility change. It came in yesterday and it appears to be a really nice device. Cemented my desire to get the EOS when it comes out next month.

I hope it is Windows Phone ! Only one of few apps I actually want to have on Windows Phone. (Next is Starbucks and Amex apps, but Starbucks already said no to Windows Phone support).

They said it's coming to both W8 and WP8.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mint/status/350356798638813184[/tweet]

Last night at about Midnight my 820 "updated" I dont see a damn difference for all of that.

when the hell are we going to be able to set our own text ringtones?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My wife dropped her 900 a couple days ago and shattered her glass. Insurance allowed her to get the 920 for $120. Pretty good deal especially since she was affected by the AT&T upgrade eligibility change. It came in yesterday and it appears to be a really nice device. Cemented my desire to get the EOS when it comes out next month.

What? Someone PM cuteness overload and tell him to smash his 900 against the wall. A 920 for $120 is a steal!

when the hell are we going to be able to set our own text ringtones?

Hopefully never. Ain't nobody want to hear a song or goofy sound clip for text message you get, custom ringtones are already a blight on humanity. My coworker has his HTC One set up so that when you call him, a video of a woman stripping plays in the background. Sometimes, its best when we are given limited choices.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Remember when Joe Belfiore brought Jessica Alba on stage, to promote Windows Phone 8? Nokia is going the same for the Zoom event, except the replaced Jessica Alba with Justin Bieber. And that's confirmed.
lol this will go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom