• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doffen

I'm really tempted to buy that 521....someone push me over the edge.

halo-spartan-assault-image-540x303.jpg

Confirmed to be compatible with 512 MB devices.

Edit: When did you get back?

kehs

Banned
I really do wanna try out wp8, that price point is right on. I might use it as a "go out" phone so I don't break my n4. I can only assume the camera is better than the n4 cause this shit is atrocious for pictures.

I got back a few days ago.

clav

Aside from the wi-fi toggle, what are some must haves for a casual phone user for someone switching from a flip phone?

Any programs that add features to the core user experience?

No social networking stuff.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm tempted to buy a 520 for my daughter. Then again, at&t is supposed to get a 520 variant, any idea when? I hope its released before her birthday on the 31st of July.

Is it unfair to say that gaf is quickly becoming the Infowars of gaming?

I think it would be cool if we became the Ingress of gaming. Augmented reality gaming is quite clever, although Ingress has the problem where if you aren't living in a major city and have lots of other people playing there isn't much for you to do.

flippedb

Banned
I'll get the 521 as well. The other devices are just too expensive and I don't know if they're worth it. I'd be missing out on a few apps, unfortunately, but I really don't care. That photo app from Nokia will be missed, but I'll do without it.

If the Instagram client works on 512 MB, I'm in.

kharma45

I'll get the 521 as well. The other devices are just too expensive and I don't know if they're worth it. I'd be missing out on a few apps, unfortunately, but I really don't care. That photo app from Nokia will be missed, but I'll do without it.

If the Instagram client works on 512 MB, I'm in.

Instance works fine on 512MB, as does 6sec for Vine.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also, 820's screen is so much better than 920's! Who cares about resolution, the difference is abysmal.

You're crazy. The jump to 720P is HUGE. The jump from 720P to 1080P is not nearly as big, however. My co-worker has a One (gorgeous device btw) and, while the screen is beautiful, I really couldn't see the benefits of the increased resolution for apps and web browsing. I think it'll be nice to have 1080p screens on Windows Phones this fall, but I think quad core processors will yield more benefits in the long run.

You're crazy. The jump to 720P is HUGE. The jump from 720P to 1080P is not nearly as big, however. My co-worker has a One (gorgeous device btw) and, while the screen is beautiful, I really couldn't see the benefits of the increased resolution for apps and web browsing. I think it'll be nice to have 1080p screens on Windows Phones this fall, but I think quad core processors will yield more benefits in the long run.

There's that rumored HTC One variant coming by end of year with Windows Phone 8 on board. I'll definitely pick one up if it comes to Sprint especially since it seems we won't be seeing anything from Nokia in the foreseeable future.

Yea going from a Lumia 900 to a 920 made quite the difference in sharpness and overall interface quality to me. However, I've used a few 1080p screens, and they don't look all that much better. The 920 already has a denser screen than the iPhone's, and even when that retina came out I had a hard time seeing pixels. I do miss the AMOLED, though. Both my Focus and 900 had one. Auto brightness on the 920 fixes that mostly.

Honestly, I think GPU is what needs the most attention. Most apps are super fast and run well, but games could use a boost. Pretty sure Apple focuses more on the GPU, too, and I don't think games looks better on anything but those Devices, in my experience.

flippedb

Banned

I had the screens at arms length, and I couldn't notice a difference, aside from the color reproduction, that is.

clav

Wow that Nokia remix ringtone has everything that I hate about music right now: autotune + overused dubstep

I thought no one could do it, but wow.

thnx m8. I only have one month left with this plan, I can't wait to switch.

Also, 820's screen is so much better than 920's! Who cares about resolution, the difference is abysmal.

I have the Nokia 520 and everything works a charm, apart from some games requiring 1GB of RAM that is.

As an 820 user I'd be inclined to disagree. Resolution doesn't bother me, though 720p would be nice. I find the colours to be over saturated and just too full on. Don't think they're particularly accurate. The deep black's of the AMOLED are nice though.

I suppose it depends what you're doing on screen. The 820 colours are nice and really pop for games. But I think it makes photographs kind of gross.

thnx m8. I only have one month left with this plan, I can't wait to switch.

As other already mention, AMOLED screen is over saturated for me, I used to love it too until I realize how off the colors are. I much prefer the LCD. That said, I also have 820 (bought it for my son) and the screen is nice. It's slightly smaller than 920 so it mask the fact that it is lower resolution. I was using my wife Titan the other day and the low resolution on that phone is really jarring.

hadareud

The Translator
Having used Windows 8 on a tablet for a few days now, I really came to appreciate the integrated search much more. On my desktop I haven't used it as much, but on a tablet it really makes a lot of sense.

With the deeper bing integration in 8.1, I really wonder how they'll improve search in WP 8.1 and whether we can expect a similar feature-set.

It's a pain in the arse that you can't currently use the search button for in-app search, for instance. They really need to integrate search much deeper into the system, just like in Windows. Also, the share function should be integrated deeper too - just like they demonstrated with sharing the artists from a website and automatically having a playlist created in the music app.

Am I being unrealistic here?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was thinking about that today. If they can integrate windows 8-like search on the phone they'll basically leapfrog everyone else in the phone space.

And then I won't even mind having the search button there. Right now, its a waste of space.

hadareud

The Translator
Yep, it would make so much more sense if you could search any app on the phone with it.

Store, Wiki, Drive, Bing, Music, email and so on and so on at the press of one button would really be very powerful.

kehs

Banned
I was thinking about that today. If they can integrate windows 8-like search on the phone they'll basically leapfrog everyone else in the phone space.

And then I won't even mind having the search button there. Right now, its a waste of space.

That already exists on googles mobile thing, and devs don't care about giving the os access to their precious data. I think its the reason that google moved away from having a search key as being mandatory.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't remember ever using that on android.

It all depends on the implementation. If it's implemented like it is in Windows, ie it works, is quick and useful, then it's a fantastic feature imo. If it works in one app out of three and then not properly, they needn't bother.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

That already exists on googles mobile thing, and devs don't care about giving the os access to their precious data. I think its the reason that google moved away from having a search key as being mandatory.

I haven't used android in a while, but I doubt you can search third party apps, text messages, email, the web, SkyDrive (edit: google docs in the case of android) files etc. from one interface. That's what I'm talking about.

New Skype app written from the ground up? et tu MS?

I haven't used android in a while, but I doubt you can search third party apps, text messages, email, the web, SkyDrive (edit: google docs in the case of android) files etc. from one interface. That's what I'm talking about.

that's how it's supposed to work, but like Coppy said, many developers don't support it

1upmuffin

How good is the Lumia 928? I'm getting my first smartphone soon and I'm not sure if I want to go WP9 or Android.

Also, are there any other good WP8 phones on Verizon to look at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom