• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is the Lumia 928? I'm getting my first smartphone soon and I'm not sure if I want to go WP9 or Android.

Also, are there any other good WP8 phones on Verizon to look at?

I have the 8x and the 928, they are both good in different ways. Don't know much about the 822. I'm biased though.

flippedb

Banned
As an 820 user I'd be inclined to disagree. Resolution doesn't bother me, though 720p would be nice. I find the colours to be over saturated and just too full on. Don't think they're particularly accurate. The deep black's of the AMOLED are nice though.

I suppose it depends what you're doing on screen. The 820 colours are nice and really pop for games. But I think it makes photographs kind of gross.

As other already mention, AMOLED screen is over saturated for me, I used to love it too until I realize how off the colors are. I much prefer the LCD. That said, I also have 820 (bought it for my son) and the screen is nice. It's slightly smaller than 920 so it mask the fact that it is lower resolution. I was using my wife Titan the other day and the low resolution on that phone is really jarring.

Colors are over saturated, but that really helps the OS look. Tiles look vivid and blacks are deep and inky, while on the 920 they look slightly washed out.

smerfy

Banned
anyone here use weave to update their lockscreen?

I've tried letting it, but it won't update. just leaves the "the next time your live tile updates, this will too!" message.

It's quite annoying. I'm basically stuck with bing if I want dynamic lockscreen...

this_guy

anyone here use weave to update their lockscreen?

I've tried letting it, but it won't update. just leaves the "the next time your live tile updates, this will too!" message.

It's quite annoying. I'm basically stuck with bing if I want dynamic lockscreen...

I use Accuweather for my lockscreen. Weather information at a glance, plus the background pic changes based on the weather (sunny, cloudy, etc)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I use Accuweather for my lockscreen. Weather information at a glance, plus the background pic changes based on the weather (sunny, cloudy, etc)

Amazing weather HD is better. You get a whole week of weather (or hourly, your pick) overlaid on the gorgeous Bing daily image.

In terms of not getting lockscreen apps to work, facebook won't work for me. It just stays on the blue facebook logo and none of my pics come up on the lockscreen.

smerfy

Banned
Amazing weather HD is better. You get a whole week of weather (or hourly, your pick) overlaid on the gorgeous Bing daily image.

In terms of not getting lockscreen apps to work, facebook won't work for me. It just stays on the blue facebook logo and none of my pics come up on the lockscreen.

I used to run Amazing Weather HD as well...

but it would only update if I physically went into the app.

Something weird definitely...I'm on an 8x so idk if I should do a soft reset and see if that'll fix the problem?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have been using Vieather for my weather app. Very clean design, nice live tile, clean and basic. Also seems to not impact battery life like Amazing Weather for me.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Anyone else having massive problems with Whatsapp lately?

Today I realized that I'm not receiving Whatsapp-messages, if my phone's screen is locked. I need to open the phone, open Whatsapp and THEN I receive the message that I was supposed to get like 30 minutes ago.

Really getting fed up with this.

I'm using a Lumia 800.

Anyone else having massive problems with Whatsapp lately?

Today I realized that I'm not receiving Whatsapp-messages, if my phone's screen is locked. I need to open the phone, open Whatsapp and THEN I receive the message that I was supposed to get like 30 minutes ago.

Really getting fed up with this.

I'm using a Lumia 800.

Thank god I'm not alone. I've been having the same issue all day today as well. I either don't get some of my messages, or else I will receive them later. And the "toast notification" has been going crazy repeating messages I've received hours before on loop. So I'll get the same notifications a few times. Opening whatsapp also hangs more often than not. Even sometimes I have to open multiple times just to get the messages to update. It's really annoying. I searched and apparently there's an update that "supposedly" fix these issues this month. I have absolutely no faith in it improving to the point of similar experience I've had with iOS. But I would love to be surprised.

Also another thing that really frustrates me is the total dead silence on Microsoft doing anything to improve the OS at all. All I've seen are new phones and stuff coming out... but pretty pointless for shiny new hardware when the software is still half janky and seems abandoned by MS.

I'm on the 920

Also another thing that really frustrates me is the total dead silence on Microsoft doing anything to improve the OS at all. All I've seen are new phones and stuff coming out... but pretty pointless for shiny new hardware when the software is still half janky and seems abandoned by MS.

I'm on the 920
'

which software, jw? The team is hard at work, we are in shut-up-and-ship ;)

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Thank god I'm not alone. I've been having the same issue all day today as well. I either don't get some of my messages, or else I will receive them later. And the "toast notification" has been going crazy repeating messages I've received hours before on loop. So I'll get the same notifications a few times. Opening whatsapp also hangs more often than not. Even sometimes I have to open multiple times just to get the messages to update. It's really annoying. I searched and apparently there's an update that "supposedly" fix these issues this month. I have absolutely no faith in it improving to the point of similar experience I've had with iOS. But I would love to be surprised.

You described exactly all the problems I've been having. I've been planning to switch to a Galaxy S4 fairly soon, but I'm pretty reliant at the moment on whatsapp working. :/ Nobody uses the alternative apps here.

'

which software, jw? The team is hard at work, we are in shut-up-and-ship ;)

Sorry, I meant about the OS itself, in terms of improvements on options and some functionality fixes (example: the volume setting seems to reset itself if you run out of battery, so it goes back to 20 instead of saving your previous setting). I've been lurking here time to time so I know the motto, but it would still be nice to feel or hear about it'll improve instead of blindly believing :(

You described exactly all the problems I've been having. I've been planning to switch to a Galaxy S4 fairly soon, but I'm pretty reliant at the moment on whatsapp working. :/ Nobody uses the alternative apps here.

Yeah, now my phone is doing the notification alert tone every 15mins with nothing to notify. Checked all to see what else is causing it but nothing.

Also another thing that bugs me is a proper backup for the phone. I recently had to take the phone in for service because the camera refuses to focus when taking pictures.. It would focus briefly and right before it takes the picture, it'll de-focus by itself. I had to take 5-6 pictures in a row to get one good take. And it happens randomly and at different distances.

So needless to say the phone was wiped. I had the phone settings "backed up" but that didn't work out. I ended up pretty much have to re-download the apps I had before, also the home screen settings were not saved. So I had to go rearrange the tiles again. It's just really frustrating with the wp sync program they have for windows8. That thing barely works and I didn't even bother re uploading music back to my phone because it was a mess when I got the music on there the first time with metadata all messed up and the lock screen showing the artist picture function only worked like 1/2 the time. :/

So they are seemingly sold completely out of Lumia 520s in Southern Ontario. It was funny at first watching my brother be frustrated; but not the complaining is kinda getting annoying. If they cant keep them in stock then the phone must either be really good, or Nokia still has messed up supply lines :S

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So they are seemingly sold completely out of Lumia 520s in Southern Ontario. It was funny at first watching my brother be frustrated; but not the complaining is kinda getting annoying. If they cant keep them in stock then the phone must either be really good, or Nokia still has messed up supply lines :S

I have seen quite a few in Calgary,l. I think I'm going to be giving/selling mine to my mother-in-law and then pick up another one.

Sorry, I meant about the OS itself, in terms of improvements on options and some functionality fixes (example: the volume setting seems to reset itself if you run out of battery, so it goes back to 20 instead of saving your previous setting). I've been lurking here time to time so I know the motto, but it would still be nice to feel or hear about it'll improve instead of blindly believing :(

Yeah, now my phone is doing the notification alert tone every 15mins with nothing to notify. Checked all to see what else is causing it but nothing.

Also another thing that bugs me is a proper backup for the phone. I recently had to take the phone in for service because the camera refuses to focus when taking pictures.. It would focus briefly and right before it takes the picture, it'll de-focus by itself. I had to take 5-6 pictures in a row to get one good take. And it happens randomly and at different distances.

So needless to say the phone was wiped. I had the phone settings "backed up" but that didn't work out. I ended up pretty much have to re-download the apps I had before, also the home screen settings were not saved. So I had to go rearrange the tiles again. It's just really frustrating with the wp sync program they have for windows8. That thing barely works and I didn't even bother re uploading music back to my phone because it was a mess when I got the music on there the first time with metadata all messed up and the lock screen showing the artist picture function only worked like 1/2 the time. :/
Before putting music on your phone go in to Xbox Music and turn off their metadata options. I liked the artists photo stuff, but decided to forgo it in favour of metadata that I had added and I knew was right. Theirs is terrible frankly.

hwalker84

Before putting music on your phone go in to Xbox Music and turn off their metadata options. I liked the artists photo stuff, but decided to forgo it in favour of metadata that I had added and I knew was right. Theirs is terrible frankly.

Yes. I wish it was like WP7 where it added the album art but didn't add their metadata.

I have seen quite a few in Calgary,l. I think I'm going to be giving/selling mine to my mother-in-law and then pick up another one.

Well, we found one at bestbuy for him, and it was working up until this morning. Then the device just crapped out of him. Wont turn on, when plugged in it doesn't do anything, we have removed the battery several times to try and hard reset it, nothing. Luckily they still have one more, though they said they will only hold it until 3 today and he can't find a ride out their (I dont have a car).

I think it may be the battery thats busted, but since we just got it yesterday its better if we just swap it out completely.

derFeef

The Spotify app is hated by Android users too, you know. This is more a problem of Spotify being a terrible mobile app developer than anything else.

Does it eat up your data even when the app is set to offline mode? That's the worst offender imho...
But fair enough. I will send angry tweets to them directly :p

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Nokia Lumia 1020:

BOS8JrrCEAA1IEV.jpg:large

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Dat Windows Phone product placement in Man of Steel. Looked hot though.

MarkusRJR

How much battery would I save using mobile GAF's dark theme? My phone has a super AMOLED screen so there's definitely some battery gain to be had, but I absolutely hate reading white text on a black background. Would it still be worth it for me to change over to the dark theme?

NeOak

How much battery would I save using mobile GAF's dark theme? My phone has a super AMOLED screen so there's definitely some battery gain to be had, but I absolutely hate reading white text on a black background. Would it still be worth it for me to change over to the dark theme?

Black pixels = off

Color/white pixels = on

Make the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom