• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Black pixels = off

Color/white pixels = on

Make the math.

But since Dark GAF isn't black, he wouldn't be saving battery, would he? Pixels would still be on.

It doesn't have to be black for it to help with battery savings.

OLED uses electricity to energize or charge the organic film to certain degrees. More electricity to fully charge a section to pure white, requiring less and less as you move towards darker colors.

Also, most OLED displays don't display pure black to begin with.

There is always a small charge applied to the display as it's apparently more energy efficient to step through voltages starting from a positive base, than a base of 0 volts. I don't think a phone has had true black levels since the first galaxy S. I could be wrong though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Back of the Nokia EOS/Elvis fot ATT:
BOVZuWLCQAA1LEl.jpg:large

I think they should have kept the wireless charging build in due to the giant hump already on the back. The phone not going to be thin no matter what they do to it. I would rather have that than adding on ugly charging case that won't match the body.

PG2G

I think they should have kept the wireless charging build in due to the giant hump already on the back. The phone not going to be thin no matter what they do to it. I would rather have that than adding on ugly charging case that won't match the body.

How would that work though? With that big hump, only the tip of the device and the camera would make contact with the charger

It doesn't have to be black for it to help with battery savings.

OLED uses electricity to energize or charge the organic film to certain degrees. More electricity to fully charge a section to pure white, requiring less and less as you move towards darker colors.

Also, most OLED displays don't display pure black to begin with.

There is always a small charge applied to the display as it's apparently more energy efficient to step through voltages starting from a positive base, than a base of 0 volts. I don't think a phone has had true black levels since the first galaxy S. I could be wrong though.

Measurements of OLED displays on Samsung phones indicate zero black level and infinite contrast ratio. So yes, black is truly black on these devices.

And yes, OLED is like plasma where it is self-illuminating. So showing pure white uses the most power, and showing darker shades uses less. So even if Dark GAF isn't 100% black it would still save energy over Classic White GAF. These points are a bit moot though, since the Mobile GAF webapp actually has truly black backgrounds and not gray like on the desktop version.

JimiNutz

Banned
This Lumia 1020 better come with expandable storage. 32gb just isnt enough. Fuck the camera, give me more storage dammit!

Measurements of OLED displays on Samsung phones indicate zero black level and infinite contrast ratio. So yes, black is truly black on these devices.

And yes, OLED is like plasma where it is self-illuminating. So showing pure white uses the most power, and showing darker shades uses less. So even if Dark GAF isn't 100% black it would still save energy over Classic White GAF. These points are a bit moot though, since the Mobile GAF webapp actually has truly black backgrounds and not gray like on the desktop version.
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus (made by Samsung) didn't have absolute zero black, and other Samsung devices vary depending on the color profile that is used.

But yeah, iirc, Nokia prefers to boost the brightness over having zero black.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This Lumia 1020 better come with expandable storage. 32gb just isnt enough. Fuck the camera, give me more storage dammit!

This. My biggest concerns about this phone are the SOC and the possibility that it won't have expandable storage. Those factors can definitely damper my excitement for it.

Seeing as the 920, 925 and 928 don't have SD card support I don't think this one will either :\ I'd love to be wrong though.

Can someone explain to me why Nokia's flagship Windows Phones don't have a microSD slot, but their midrange and low end ones do? Because from where I'm standing, it doesn't make any sense at all.

Can someone explain to me why Nokia's flagship Windows Phones don't have a microSD slot, but their midrange and low end ones do? Because from where I'm standing, it doesn't make any sense at all.

most midrange and low end smartphones period have a MicroSD slot because it's cheaper for manufacturers to add a slot for that than more flash memory.

Which doesn't explain why the high end device doesn't have a slot too, since it's so cheap to add one as you say.

because it's cheaper than adding *more* flashrom, as in a 4GB and a MicroSD slot vs 16GB flashrom. when you add 16GB *and* a MicroSD slot, it's more expensive than adding just 16GB. so they save money per unit * _ million units. now you're saying "but Samsung" and then you remember that Samsung sources a lot of their own components from Samsung, which means they save more.

JimiNutz

Banned
because it's cheaper than adding *more* flashrom, as in a 4GB and a MicroSD slot vs 16GB flashrom. when you add 16GB *and* a MicroSD slot, it's more expensive than adding just 16GB. so they save money per unit * _ million units. now you're saying "but Samsung" and then you remember that Samsung sources a lot of their own components from Samsung, which means they save more.

I see what youre saying but in this day and age 32 gb just isnt enough. Its not just Samsung offering sd support in their flagship phones either. Nokia really need to address this.

hadareud

The Translator
I see what youre saying but in this day and age 32 gb just isnt enough. Its not just Samsung offering sd support in their flagship phones either. Nokia really need to address this.

HTC have stopped including SD slots for their high end phones too.

It's unfortunately a trend we probably have to get used to.

Totakeke

Anyone have a problem with their phones lately not resuming whatever audio you were playing properly when you go off for a few minutes? The extended popup is there at the volume controls but the audio title is blank.

Not as long as Samsung remains committed to putting microSD slots in their devices.

He said high end phone, not crappy plastic phone. (I am just j/k, don't get all rile up).

Seriously, if they are going to put a phone out that take 41 megapixel picture, they really need to support SD card of some type. It is going to double for many people as camera. I don't see myself replacing my 920 with this unless they do some crazy subsidized for the phone like free or under $50.00.

Anyone have a problem with their phones lately not resuming whatever audio you were playing properly when you go off for a few minutes? The extended popup is there at the volume controls but the audio title is blank.

Happen to me all the time, I am just assuming it's because of some app using music api and show up in music hub.

hadareud

The Translator
Not as long as Samsung remains committed to putting microSD slots in their devices.

Yes, Samsung are still doing it, but if they're the only ones that doesn't help much.

Let's hope that it's just a fad and that with the next generation of flagship phones the trend reverses, but I'm not holding my breath.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Anyone here has a Lumia 520?

I'm thinking about buying it (I also have some credit toward a store and I can buy it for 150 instead of 200$), I've done some research and it looks like a good device (as far as I understand it's basically a Lumia 720 without the frontal camera), but I wanted to hear some opinion.

Keep in mind that I don't really care about playing with my phone or super-high res screens, the only "extra" thing I'd like is to browse the web, and from what I've seen it doesn't looks like a probem for this phone. :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here has a Lumia 520?

I'm thinking about buying it (I also have some credit toward a store and I can buy it for 150 instead of 200$), I've done some research and it looks like a good device (as far as I understand it's basically a Lumia 720 without the frontal camera), but I wanted to hear some opinion.

Keep in mind that I don't really care about playing with my phone or super-high res screens, the only "extra" thing I'd like is to browse the web, and from what I've seen it doesn't looks like a probem for this phone. :lol

I think it is a great little device and runs quite well. Browsing should be fine. I actually sold mine to my mother-in-law and plan on picking another one up. Also $200 would probably have been too much for sure.

hadareud

The Translator
True, after all there's literally hundreds of million of people that are just waiting for a Nokia android flagship. And a few hundred million more that would buy one if it was 1080p with a quad core.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
HTC deserves to die. They release phones and then ignore them, that's not acceptable in this day and age. My friend's titan 2 didn't get a single update, and apparently they aren't any better at updating their android phones. Even Sony has apparently put more emphasis on software updates, but i still only truly trust Nokia and Samsung to update a phone.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah they are shit with updates and always have been.

Would be a shame to see them go, though. Their hardware is very good in general.

hadareud

The Translator
Just bad luck I think. I had two HTC's and my gf had one and they all stood the test of time very well. None of them were handled with particular care, but all still work fine - even my trusty old Hero.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 8x also has a SIM card issue where you may get errors cause the tray is right next to the power button. Also, the color fades off. I can't believe Thurrot recommended it over the 920, what a joke.

kharma45

Just bad luck I think. I had two HTC's and my gf had one and they all stood the test of time very well. None of them were handled with particular care, but all still work fine - even my trusty old Hero.

HTC's I had were poor with reliability. Hero's screen stopped responding to touch (fairly common problem), Nexus One power button stopped working (again common) and the finish on the HD7 was pretty poor, was well treated yet continued to look like it'd been abused. One of my old housemates has a Desire S and he's forever having to pull the battery on the phone when it just stops working altogether on him. I don't rate them at all for their long term reliability, had too many bad experiences myself and read too much bad online too.

Nice phones at launch, but down the road they're not made to last nor do HTC bother with fucking supporting them.

hadareud

The Translator
So I was lucky then it seems.

Touch screen no longer responding only happened to me on my shifty first and last Samsung.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question. I sold my unlocked Lumia 520 to my mother-in-law to use on SaskTel. Everything seems to be fine except the data. In the celluar settings it shows the correct network, data is on and it shows 3G. Do I need to input the APN settings?

edit: found the apn settings for SaskTel and that seemed to do the trick.

hadareud

The Translator
They're going in the wrong direction though, despite just having released what is universally regarded a fantastic phone.

Nokia numbers are at least going in the right direction, both in sales and financially.

The 8x also has a SIM card issue where you may get errors cause the tray is right next to the power button. Also, the color fades off. I can't believe Thurrot recommended it over the 920, what a joke.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard the SIM issue was mostly due to an early batch of Sims that were manufactured to an incorrect size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom