• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Don't feel he needs to be fired but I completely agree about his team and seemingly 6 months to one year behind the rest of Microsoft.

Could be that they are behind a bit because they needed to wait for some deliveries from the Windows side? I dunno. Xbox One OS doesn't seem as mature as it should be either.

Just tried to download FIFA 13 and get the usual, your phone is low on memory, crap. I have over 3GB on the phone. I know sometimes that you can push games to install from the desktop app store. But what is the reason behind this error?

Really frustrates me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Could be that they are behind a bit because they needed to wait for some deliveries from the Windows side? I dunno. Xbox One OS doesn't seem as mature as it should be either.

I think this is the reason Thurrott gave on windows weekly. The WP team has to wait for the kernel to be finalized to really customize their implementation.

It was part of the first wave of LTE enabled markets from AT&T. Not in all areas though.

Even the US Virgin Islands has LTE now from at&t, its pretty awesome.

PG2G

Just tried to download FIFA 13 and get the usual, your phone is low on memory, crap. I have over 3GB on the phone. I know sometimes that you can push games to install from the desktop app store. But what is the reason behind this error?

Really frustrates me.

Is it a big game? It probably needs enough room for both the download (temporarily) and the installed files.

hadareud

The Translator
I think the most likely explanation for the WP team being behind is that they were behind already with WP8 with several new features not making it/having to be cut after the kernel change.

If you're already several months behind to start with it's unlikely that you'll catch up in the space of a year.

maeh2k

Do we know the WP team is actually behind?

Could just as well be a bigger update that takes more time. As long as we don't know what the next release is going to bring, I wouldn't criticize the WP team for being slow.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would like the rumors of WP 8.1 coming in early 2014 to be false. November with the new handsets and Windows 8.1 devices would make more sense.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
A one year cycle is long enough, anything longer is unacceptable. In the mobile space, you seriously can't be that slow, especially when you are behind.

Doffen

How is the Spotify update? I really want to try it, but my 920 is still at service.

Bloody general staff holiday

kehs

Banned
Does Miracast and Wi-Di need special hardware or is it just a software implementation using basic Wi-Fi?

I think it's just software implementation of wifi, but if the device doesn't ship with it "certified" the chances of getting an update to support it are almost zero even if it's technically capable of doing it.

hwalker84

Do we know the WP team is actually behind?

Could just as well be a bigger update that takes more time. As long as we don't know what the next release is going to bring, I wouldn't criticize the WP team for being slow.

We know what the competitor's move at. We know what hardware cycle's are like and we know that the WP hardware is behind it's competitors. We know there's a whole wealth of features requested and improvement's that can be made.

So yes I will say they're behind. The scrappy upstart (Microsoft WP) in the mobile space needs to be outpacing their competitors by a wide margin.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.wpcentral.com/new-render-41mp-nokia-lumia-1020-more-details

some 1020 details. apparently it has 2GB of RAM and OIS. Dat camera is going to be good.

edit: the yellow actually looks pretty awesome imo

EOS_zpsa636b676.jpg

Does Miracast and Wi-Di need special hardware or is it just a software implementation using basic Wi-Fi?

well... technically, you do need hardware that supports it, but all the moderm mobile hardware does it... the important step is os and oem support for it... most modern mobile hardware supports FM radio too and look at that...

Why left the electronic store the dongle on the phone?

lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

hwalker84

2gb of RAM is higher than the current spec for windows phone. Hwalker, we can maybe hope that the chipset is different too. It seems Nokia can definitely take some liberties with the supported specs of wp8. My hype level is rising again.

My hype level is reaching critical mass. If only the Yellow was Matte... May have to go with Black.

PG2G

2gb of RAM is higher than the current spec for windows phone. Hwalker, we can maybe hope that the chipset is different too. It seems Nokia can definitely take some liberties with the supported specs of wp8. My hype level is rising again.

Setting yourself up for disappointment :p

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No SD card is infuriating though. What the hell, Nokia!

and yeah, the color choices are disappointing. White and yellow were the ugliest 920's.

Troll

Banned
Do you guys remember the last time we had a race war in this thread? It didn't end well. Let's just pick up where we left off... Cyan is the master race and the rest is up for debate.

Doffen

Do you guys remember the last time we had a race war in this thread? It didn't end well. Let's just pick up where we left off... Cyan is the master race and the rest is up for debate.

I want Cyan 1020 so badly. But Nokia just don't give to shits about cyan anymore, its all about dat yellow and red.

stktt

Banned
I'm considering buying a 920 once it hits the $300-$350 range. The 1020 should help accelerate that process, and it would still be a nice upgrade over my 620. Unlike HTC, I highly doubt Nokia would abandon their flagship, either. Of course, all of this assumes Nokia doesn't release a nice midrange phone by early next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom