• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Spartan Assault may be exclusive to Rogers in Canada. When you go to the page in the store it has their logo smack dab on the right hand side.

derFeef

I think Spartan Assault may be exclusive to Rogers in Canada. When you go to the page in the store it has their logo smack dab on the right hand side.

T-Mobile Logo here in Austria. But not paying a higher price for the mobile version of the game, this is ridiculous.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Appears to not even be up here in the UK yet.

Managed to get it using this QR code:
image_5F00_thumb_5F00_73CA6E7F.png

But there is no demo!

hadareud

The Translator
I looked at the 720 and the 520 as well.

Got it for 155 quid sim free, which is quite alright. The 720 was 227, which is just a bit too much. Would have got it if it was 200.-, because of the better camera, but I don't think that's worth 70 quid.

Also, I already know the 620 because we got one for my mother in law. It's a great little phone and perfect for someone completely new to smartphones.

kharma45

Yeah miles better now Kyle, nice to see they've finally stopped using the background audio trick.

I looked at the 720 and the 520 as well.

Got it for 155 quid sim free, which is quite alright. The 720 was 227, which is just a bit too much. Would have got it if it was 200.-, because of the better camera, but I don't think that's worth 70 quid.

Also, I already know the 620 because we got one for my mother in law. It's a great little phone and perfect for someone completely new to smartphones.

Yeah not bad. O2 still want £150 for it but you do get a free shell. I'm happy enough with my 620 bar its black screen problems and the fact volume down no longer works. Must take t in for repair soon.

820 prices have tanked too, you can get one like new for £150 or as good as for £140 on Smartfone Store.

Magni

Something I've been thinking about for a while concerning the app situation on WP:

There's two types of apps, "old" apps from established companies (banks, airlines, etc) and "new" apps from startups (Instagram, Pinterest, etc). This post is mainly about the second type. The overwhelming majority of developers in startups today work on Macs, it's become the default work environment, but you can't develop Windows Phone applications without being on Windows.

It doesn't seem to farfetched to me to assume that one of the reasons why WP get these apps late or not at all, is because the developers don't even have Windows (that and WP's market share of course).

Unfortunately, I don't see MS making WP development possible on OS X or including a Unix-like terminal emulator (or whatever else would attract more startups to using Windows) any time soon.

Yeah not bad. O2 still want £150 for it but you do get a free shell. I'm happy enough with my 620 bar its black screen problems and the fact volume down no longer works. Must take t in for repair soon.

820 prices have tanked too, you can get one like new for £150 or as good as for £140 on Smartfone Store.
What's the black screen problem you speak of?

It will often refuse to wake from sleep when I push the power button, so I have to pull the battery.
Nightmare.

I pulled my 620 out the other day and remembered how much I liked that little phone for the month I used it. It had a few issues that have never cropped up on the 820, but it was still great for the most part.

Something I've been thinking about for a while concerning the app situation on WP:

There's two types of apps, "old" apps from established companies (banks, airlines, etc) and "new" apps from startups (Instagram, Pinterest, etc). This post is mainly about the second type. The overwhelming majority of developers in startups today work on Macs, it's become the default work environment, but you can't develop Windows Phone applications without being on Windows.

It doesn't seem to farfetched to me to assume that one of the reasons why WP get these apps late or not at all, is because the developers don't even have Windows (that and WP's market share of course).

Unfortunately, I don't see MS making WP development possible on OS X or including a Unix-like terminal emulator (or whatever else would attract more startups to using Windows) any time soon.

A lot of them can use bootcamp/whatever to get into windows and create apps that way, so they aren't necessarily blocked. But yes, I would think that this default environment of mac doesn't do Microsoft any favors.

kharma45

Nightmare.

I pulled my 620 out the other day and remembered how much I liked that little phone for the month I used it. It had a few issues that have never cropped up on the 820, but it was still great for the most part.

Aye its shite. We've a Nokia store in town so I'm gonna take it in there and see the craic. Not paying to phone O2 on their scamming 0845 number.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

there are 1.4 billion windows pcs out in the world....

Magni

A lot of them can use bootcamp/whatever to get into windows and create apps that way, so they aren't necessarily blocked. But yes, I would think that this default environment of mac doesn't do Microsoft any favors.

True. I've been meaning to write an app for WP but ever since I started working in Silicon Alley and switched to a Mac I've put that on hold, and yet I have Windows 8 installed on it. I need to get back on that project.

there are 1.4 billion windows pcs out in the world....

That's not the point. I'm not talking about which computers consumers around the world have, but which computers developers at startups in SF, NY, etc have.

Tripped last night and was holding my phone and BOOM, face first on the concrete. I should have sacrificed my body instead of my phone--screen cracked on my 928 :-(. Digitizer didn't break, so at least it's perfectly usable.

Fjolle

They do allow you to develop wp apps in the best development environment in the world (mostly for free).

The fact that people are able to develop apps for the iPhone with what apple offers is beyond me :p

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I have dropped my 620 numerous times, yesterday on concrete. No scratches or cracks yet. Probably just been lucky though. Did the same with my iphone 4 and 3gs, never broke.

I have dropped my 620 numerous times, yesterday on concrete. No scratches or cracks yet. Probably just been lucky though. Did the same with my iphone 4 and 3gs, never broke.

it would have been fine except for in my stupor I basically punched the ground with it and slide it across the concrete. Don't drink and walk up stairs.

Here's the change log for your peasant device.

• Xbox Music. Easier to select, download, and pin music. More accurate metadata and other performance improvements.
  • FM radio. Possible to listen to FM radio from the Music+Videos hub. (Not available for all phones.)
  • Data Sense. Possible to set a limit based on the data plan (already included since initial release for Verizon subscribers)
  • Skype. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) apps like Lync and Skype features improved stability and performance.
  • Internet Explorer. Better browsing experience with improved HTML 5 compatibility.
  • Camera. Set favorite Lens so it opens automatically when pressing the camera button. (Not available for all phones.)
  • Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

Could you please go to www.html5test.com and to the test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom