• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update made it a bit better,... still missing features.

I don't really use the radio feature when I'm not at home, so that's not a problem. But it would be great if it had the basic functionality like playing music, using your playlists and things like that. If it doesn't work,then I'll probably have to see if my 4 years of Zune Pass codes still work.

derFeef

I don't really use the radio feature when I'm not at home, so that's not a problem. But it would be great if it had the basic functionality like playing music, using your playlists and things like that. If it doesn't work,then I'll probably have to see if my 4 years of Zune Pass codes still work.

Playing music, playlists and search works good now, I can say that much.

This balls of being told you have insufficient space to install a 600mB game when you have 3.3gB remaining on the phone is really annoying. Having to push the download via the web store isn't good enough I'm afraid.

That's what MS gets for not putting Halo: Spartan Assault on iOS I guess.

Considering that Gameloft has a Halo clone franchise called NOVA which is currently on it's fourth iteration, I don't know that mobile gamers even care about a Halo game now. It's about 6 years too late to the market, and only available on a platform with a tiny minority share of the smartphone pie.

They also have a Call of Duty clone called Modern Combat which is currently on it's fourth iteration too. I played Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation and it was definitely a fun and totally blatant Call of Duty: Modern Warfare clone game with nice graphics. Now they have Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour. I'm waiting for the inevitable sale to pick that one up.

It's funny how all the big game publishers have ignored mobile for so long that clones have been allowed to dominate for many years now. They completely ceded the fastest growing gaming market to upstarts like Gameloft for no apparent reason.

Magni

Furthering on my startups post from earlier, here's an excerpt from a course I'm taking "Startup Engineering" (online version of a Stanford course):

We begin with the obvious: the dominant players are Samsung and Apple (on the hardware end) and Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS (on the software end). After them, Amazon’s Kindle Fire tablet is worthy of mention, as is the hotly anticipated Firefox Phone. Of these players, iOS is still on top from a monetization standpoint, as reflected in the fact that as of about a year ago, YC startups still developed for iOS first.

You read that right, the Firefox Phone is more interesting than Windows Phone! Heck, Windows Phone is not mentioned even once in the 18 page lecture on mobile development (neither is Blackberry). Ugh.

---

Considering that Gameloft has a Halo clone franchise called NOVA which is currently on it's fourth iteration, I don't know that mobile gamers even care about a Halo game now. It's about 6 years too late to the market, and only available on a platform with a tiny minority share of the smartphone pie.

They also have a Call of Duty clone called Modern Combat which is currently on it's fourth iteration too. I played Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation and it was definitely a fun and totally blatant Call of Duty: Modern Warfare clone game with nice graphics. Now they have Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour. I'm waiting for the inevitable sale to pick that one up.

It's funny how all the big game publishers have ignored mobile for so long that clones have been allowed to dominate for many years now. They completely ceded the fastest growing gaming market to upstarts like Gameloft for no apparent reason.

Well, Gameloft is Ubisoft, so not every big publisher has been ignoring the market.

fakeedit: oops nevermind:

Paris – July 17, 2007 – Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announced today that on July 12, 2007 it sold the 13,367,923 shares it owned in Gameloft (representing 18.89% of the company's capital) to Calyon, Crédit Agricole Group's Corporate and Investment Bank. The sale price was €6.08, based on Gameloft’s closing share price on July 12, 2007.

Gameloft was founded by one of the Guillemot brothers though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
25JLgJP.jpg

http://www.wpcentral.com/have-windows-phone-512mb-ram-report-shows-you-can-enjoy-99-apps-and-games

Yeah, it is the best. Been using it for a while.

I'm having a hard time choosing what to use. On one hand MetroTube has my nestolgia and has been my favorite. But it just feels like its lacking in the audio department. I have tried MyTube and I love it, the main feature that is killer is the ability to turn on the background audio API... But I can't bring myself to pull away from Metrotube. The guy behind MetroTube seriously needs to add that in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom