• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

stktt

Banned

Already did. It's thinner (not an issue), has another gigabyte of RAM (there aren't even many games and apps that require 1GB, let alone 2GB), lacks wireless charging, and has a better camera that's augmented by a camera application coming to the 920 anyway. None of its features are enough to justify the $200+ I would be spending over the 920. I appreciate the effort, but it was already ordered a few hours ago.

derFeef

I'm probably going to get a 920 this week. I was considering the 1020, but $650 for a phone that, camera aside, is essentially identical, was just too much. I'm buying the 920 for $400 and giving the 620 to my mother so she can stop using her horrible, horrible prepaid ZTE phone. The thing restarts multiple times a day and has such a poor screen that even slightly moving it ruins the viewing angle.

Will do the same probably.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND

iz53Sxc.png

You heard it, guys. They're doing stuff. And something. Just be a bit more patient and wait a little bit more.

This is hilarious.

HILARIOUS.

hadareud

The Translator
Why on earth is the battery in the 625 not replaceable? It's a fucking huge phone, ffs.

Was thinking the same thing, it's strange.

Then I was also thinking that in all the years I've had mobile phones, I never once replaced a battery. Not once in 16 years and probably just as many phones. Is it actually something that people genuinely do or have ever done to any great extent? I mean, it's nice to actually be able to do it if you have to obviously, but in reality I suspect it's just one of those things that people demand because they're used to it, but never intend to use.

kharma45

Was thinking the same thing, it's strange.

Then I was also thinking that in all the years I've had mobile phones, I never once replaced a battery. Not once in 16 years and probably just as many phones. Is it actually something that people genuinely do or have ever done to any great extent? I mean, it's nice to actually be able to do it if you have to obviously, but in reality I suspect it's just one of those things that people demand because they're used to it, but never intend to use.

I've had to do it once on an old 3510i when the battery died, but bar that it's never something that has really mattered to me.

maeh2k

I think I'd value a replaceable battery more the more expensive the device is.

On a ~$200 phone I don't care about a user replaceable battery. You have warranty, so the phone is going to last you a while, and if it really breaks after a long time, then that's okay.

But on a high-end $600+ device, I'd value a replaceable battery a lot more. E.g. I need to replace my notebook soon and I'm not sure I'm willing to buy one of these new non-upgradeable and non-repairable machines. The battery in my Macbook died after three years. Had I not been able to replace the battery, it would have cost me a looot. Now, I'm still using my 5.5 year old Macbook with the $50 replacement battery.

hadareud

The Translator
I'd probably think the same, but I've never had a battery die on me on any of my phones or laptops.

Probably just lucky I guess.

maeh2k

I'd probably think the same, but I've never had a battery die on me on any of my phones or laptops.

Probably just lucky I guess.

The thing about my Macbook battery dying was, that it didn't just stop working, but it bloated. It started to stand out from the bottom of the notebook. If that happened with an internal battery, I don't know what would have happened, but it's conceivable, that the battery would have damaged other components, since there wouldn't have been enough room for the battery.
Since that happened, I've been a bit more wary when it comes to non-replaceable batteries. After three years, as in my case, the costs of having the device repaired may become unreasonable and you might as well buy a new PC.

As much as I disliked the Galaxy Nexus and Android, if the glass hadn't cracked, I probably would've just bought a new, extended battery and used it for another 6 months or so. So yeah, the replaceable battery was almost reason enough not to switch back.

Speaking of batteries, I realized that I'm 13 months in, and I've went through heck of a lot of charges on my Nokia Lumia 900. Hmm... Do you think it might be a good idea for me to get the phone serviced for its battery to be replaced?

MCD

Apparently Rudy Huyn is getting hassled for his source code for Wikipedia in which he won a contest a couple years ago.

I received a lot of pressure by a big company recently (not related to 6gram or 6sec) and I almost fainted tonight.

Holy shit they are trying to take away our Rudy.

JOE BELFIORE SAVE US

PLEASE UNDERSTAND

iz53Sxc.png

You heard it, guys. They're doing stuff. And something. Just be a bit more patient and wait a little bit more.

This is hilarious.

HILARIOUS.

I just laugh at FM radio ... yeah. Welcome to 2010. Oh and we get "improve" Xbox Music. Things they didn't need to fix but decided they need to dump Zune for a shitter experience. Also read between the line, existing users you can go stufu, we are about catering to OEM and carriers so they can sell new phone. Anyway, out before Van tell me I am being negative nancy again. Seriously, how could thing like storage bug not get fix by now.

I just laugh at FM radio ... yeah. Welcome to 2010. Oh and we get "improve" Xbox Music. Things they didn't need to fix but decided they need to dump Zune for a shitter experience. Also read between the line, existing users you can go stufu, we are about catering to OEM and carriers so they can sell new phone. Anyway, out before Van tell me I am being negative nancy again. Seriously, how could thing like storage bug not get fix by now.

At the rate they are going we can expect the ability to set your own notifications sounds sometime in 2015?

hwalker84

Can't disagree.

Well, here is what he said.

SG8Ju53.png

Yeah that's a fair point I guess.

I don't know, I guess it's just my app usage, but there really isn't apps that I want that aren't on Windows Phone, seems odd that it having everything I need is a 5 when others are a 10. Of course, people have different wants.

I think that without a doubt that reviews for Windows Phone devices get a hard time because not many reviewers are using Windows Phones as their everyday phones. Things like apps become and instant and endless comparisons to iOS and Android regardless of what apps and functions are actually important to them (the criticisms in this review are fair). As an example, I had a friend that has used iOS since forever and recently got a WP. They were quite upset that there wasn't an HBO GO app for WP despite admitting upon some prying that they never actually watched anything from the app (cause who in their right state of mind is trying to watch an episode of Game of Thrones on their 4-inch screen). Not that Windows Phone or its app situation is immune to criticism of course.

Commodore

Well, here is what he said.

SG8Ju53.png

His argument is pretty thin, and his narrow use case "I upload my large photos on Google+!" doesn't hold much weight to the large majority of smart phone users, who are largely on Facebook/twitter anyhow. Plus there are popular photosharing apps available now even if they are third party (Instance works great, Nokia's photo suite, especially the pro app provide some serious control of how shots look, plus its crazy easy to share photos to any given service or app you might have installed in the OS, that honestly do offer as good if not in some cases better experience than the official variants.

Plus SkyDrive offers full size uploads. His quibbles are largely subjective, can't really harp on him much for his preferences, his use case is just different than mine. But I do think the WP ecosystem is starting to close the big gaps in terms of popular apps(Instance and soon 6gram, 6Sec, official Vine, Path, Flipboard, and Hipstamatic, even Mint is finally coming!) and the complaints about no apps are starting to sound a little shrill and baseless.

Side note, came across this Windows Phone 8.1 concept video browsing Reddit. Seems a bit too muddled, and a bit too gesture heavy, but there's some solid ideas in there, presented well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVC4BKWaP8

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I wish had the 1020 to take pics with. Going to have to wait some time before I get a new phone though. Also Instance works great, looking forward to see what Rudy comes up with.

Zhuk86

Banned
Verge reviews make me want to punch a wall. WP8 is the OS with lenses, Pro Cam/Smart Camera/Nokia Apps and has 1st and/or 3rd party apps for ALL major photography ecosystems yet it isn't up to scratch because there isn't an 'official' Instagram or Google+ client? YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Some of the Instagram apps are pretty damn great as well.

I consider myself a technical user, and there's nothing that my WP8 or Apps that I can find on the Store don't let me do. Hell, I even can download torrents on my NAS using Synoload or RDP into the server at work, just like any other OS.

Their problem is that if it isn't the EXACT same app that is on Android/iOS, then they complain.

derFeef

Well, now it really happened. Phone just crashed to black screen during SPOTIFY usage and I can't get it back on, any tips? HTC 8X.

stktt

Banned
Well, now it really happened. Phone just crashed to black screen during SPOTIFY usage and I can't get it back on, any tips? HTC 8X.

Understand that the Windows Phone team carefully reviews their development process and balances the needs of the many with the needs of the few.

I found this on WPCentral, but it isn't exactly reassuring.

As I've already stated, my phone was plugged in numerous times since it died on Friday approx. 10.30AM GMT. The battery app that accessed when the phone rebooted yesterday (Monday) showed that the battery level had been falling at a very steady rate since the phone went belly up. This, remember, was in spite of the phone being plugged into several different power sources.

To put it as simply as I can, TODAY(Tuesday) was the day the UPS guy was coming to collect my phone to send to a HTC repair centre and I had pretty much resigned myself to this fact; I was going to be without a phone for up to two weeks and would have lost all my data upon it's return. YESTERDAY(Monday), at around 5.30PM GMT, I plugged the phone into my laptop to see if anything changed, not expecting anything. At this point, the battery level on the phone was at around 10 or 15%. Bear in mind, I didn't know this, the battery could have been at 100% or 1% for all I knew.

As I said, nothing happened for at least two hours after that (I had pretty much forgotten I had even plugged the phone in), as the phone steadily decreased in battery level, eventually hitting zero or close to zero at around 7.20PM GMT. I suspect this was the time the phone actually sprang back into life. As I said above in earlier posts, I heard the telltale *bleep* of the laptop as it tried to recognize new hardware. Shortly thereafter, the familiar red LED began blinking, which, as well all know, is indicative of a charge. And basically, from then on, it charged as expected, although I did note that it took an unusual space of time to build to the halfway mark.

Furthermore, I've noticed some peculiar behaviour by the battery. The Battery App I use (which I highly recommned, link here), showed that between 10.00PM GMT last night, and 02.00AM GMT, the battery did not decline AT ALL, it was stuck at 61% for FOUR HOURS. This was despite me using it for at least 2 or 3 hours of the 4. No, I very much doubt that's a sign that battery life has dramatically improved since the update, I'd imagine the battery has been compromised in some way. So that's a worry. Pic attached.
http://sdrv.ms/13XykKf

I should also note, that I had a random reset today, where the phone rebooted, but I may have pressed the power button in my pocket. Unlikely though.

SO, to recap:
*Leave your phone for as long as possible off a charge

*DO NOT have it unplugged if you suspect the battery to be running dry (I'm not sure of the implications of that, but it's best not to take the risk)

*Maybe have it plugged into a computer rather than a wall socket, the PC might aid you in recgonising the phone

*When you belive the battery to be at 10 or 15%, even slightly more, plug it into your PC. From there, you just have to play the waiting game. Bide your time while the battery eventually runs out of it's own accord, at which point, it should be kickstarted by the connection to your PC.

*Hopefully, the phone will slowly reboot. Bear in mind, it'll still be a brick for at least 30 mins or so, while the battery accumulates enough of a charge to power the screen and hardware.

*After this, your phone should be back to normal, with perhaps a few irregularities.

AS A SIDE NOTE; I estimate that my phone took in and around 72 hours to completely discharge from an initial 90% charge on FRIDAY. Obviously this will vary dependant on the phone, but use that as a rough guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom