• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

It's audio related.

Well radio is audio too, or is ist just media? Was just saying because I am giving Spotify a hard time (they deserve it though).
anyway, ordered something... if I will return to this thread?? mystery!

edit: need coffee... sorry for the typos.

Well radio is audio too, or is ist just media? Was just saying because I am giving Spotify a hard time (they deserve it though).
anyway, ordered something... if I will return to this thread?? mystery!

edit: need coffee... sorry for the typos.

Oh, you should be giving it a hard time. Spotify on Windows Phone is absolute shit.

Which color?

I just read WPCentral's apologetic letter regarding Joe's post on UserVoice and I'm really disappointed. I didn't think they'd really go down that route and agree with him.

He brings up a very valid point and should help bring a few of us off our high horses. It was something we noticed yesterday in the comments for the leaked (and now confirmed) specs for the Lumia 625. Microsoft and Nokia have to find the balance between satisfying two extremes in the market –The tech nerds (you, me, and everyone most likely reading this site) and the rest of the world.

Microsoft and Windows Phone are still in a distant third place when it comes to mobile platforms. So we need to ask what should be higher on the priority list. Satisfying the needs of a few or the needs of many? And right now Joe seems to have answered that for Microsoft. They’re placing a higher priority on growing the ecosystem right now versus implementing ideas that appeal to a vocal minority. And honestly that’s probably the right thing to do. Building up a large user base for developers will be benefit us all and have a positive impact on the platform that lasts longer than simply adding the ability to control media and ringtone volume separately (as much as we all want that!).

You shouldn’t write off Windows Phone if you’re into technology. Joe goes onto promise future updates coming this year. And he’s right. While they won’t go on record, we know that GDR3 is coming sometime in the fall followed by Windows Phone Blue (8.1) early next year. The biggest thing that GDR3 will bring to the table is support for higher resolution displays – like those 1080p ones are frenemies over at Android Central get to play with.

No, fuck you. You don't get to pull a Gingerbread/Jelly Bean, when you're still 1-2 years behind. At this point it feels like they're simply sitting out Blackberry's death and then be happy with 3rd place.

I say wait a few days. Someone might post a fix or something.

Waiting won't fix HTC's lack of commitment.

hadareud

The Translator
No, fuck you. You don't get to pull a Gingerbread/Jelly Bean, when you're still 1-2 years behind. At this point it feels like they're simply sitting out Blackberry's death and then be happy with 3rd place.

That depends on what follows those small updates.

I'd wait and see what WP8.1 actually will include. After all, we've known about their schedule since the beginning of the year, so it can hardly come as a surprise that there's no major new features until next year apart from getting the platform ready for new chipsets etc.

MCD

I'd wait and see what WP8.1 actually will include. After all, we've known about their schedule since the beginning of the year, so it can hardly come as a surprise that there's no major new features until next year apart from getting the platform ready for new chipsets etc.

See, Joe can easily keep teasing us on Twitter if he and the team are right on track with this schedule but nope, we are listening.

A simple wink wink to something like separate audio settings is more than enough to please the angry fans.

If WP8.1 is really being delayed until 2014, then MS has already written it's own death sentence in mobile. iOS7 is coming later this year and it should put the final nail in the coffin of any competitors in the 'walled garden' space, which is where WP seems to be playing.

Meanwhile Android is busy continuing to conquer the rest of the world with only the US, UK, and Japan as the last bastions for Apple. If Google releases Android 5.0 before WP reaches 8.1, that would truly be a sad effort for MS.

MCD

Yes they could definitely improve their communication, don't get me wrong.

Yup.

Just look at the Windows 8 team. They addressed mostly everything in less than a year and were present on numerous occasions.

Jensen Haris and his team delivered while Joe Belfiore was busy taking a vacation in Finland.

hadareud

The Translator
If WP8.1 is really being delayed until 2014, then MS has already written it's own death sentence in mobile. iOS7 is coming later this year and it should put the final nail in the coffin of any competitors in the 'walled garden' space, which is where WP seems to be playing.

Meanwhile Android is busy continuing to conquer the rest of the world with only the US, UK, and Japan as the last bastions for Apple. If Google releases Android 5.0 before WP reaches 8.1, that would truly be a sad effort for MS.

It's not delayed until 2014. It was never coming out before 2014.

I doubt that it will have a big impact. Windows Phone is gathering pace on the mid and low range market whilst continuing to struggle with high end devices and having an update come out a few months after the competition shouldn't change that in the slightest.

It's not exactly likely that someone buying a budget phone is going to change his decision based on new features that he will not see on his phone for many, many months or most likely ever, in the case of Android.

8.1 is definitely a Mango-style update, in terms of features (i.e. "that's how it should've been when it launched"), but that doesn't mean that smaller things couldn't be included over a year. Press X/flick to close apps in the task switcher, blacklist support for phone numbers, a fucking rotation lock, these are things that shouldn't require a whole OS revision. And just because you planned to release your next major update 14 months after the initial release, it doesn't mean it's a good strategy. Just like the Windows team brought the release schedule down from 3 years to 1 year, the WP team should bring it down from 1 year to 6 months, by breaking the huge .5 updates into smaller ones. One could think that the GDR updates are exactly that, but they feel way more like maintainance updates.

Sorry, I know it's not as easy as I want it to be, but I just felt like ranting.

Rest assured, 8.1 is going to be pretty cool and bring some much needed changes to the platform.

See, Joe can easily keep teasing us on Twitter if he and the team are right on track with this schedule but nope, we are listening.

A simple wink wink to something like separate audio settings is more than enough to please the angry fans.

Do you know how hard and time consuming it is to get something like a wink approved?
only half joking

hadareud

The Translator
8.1 is definitely a Mango-style update, in terms of features (i.e. "that's how it should've been when it launched"), but that doesn't mean that smaller things couldn't be included over a year. Press X/flick to close apps in the task switcher, blacklist support for phone numbers, a fucking rotation lock, these are things that shouldn't require a whole OS revision. And just because you planned to release your next major update 14 months after the initial release, it doesn't mean it's a good strategy. Just like the Windows team brought the release schedule down from 3 years to 1 year, the WP team should bring it down from 1 year to 6 months, by breaking the huge .5 updates into smaller ones. One could think that the GDR updates are exactly that, but they feel way more like maintainance updates.

Sorry, I know it's not as easy as I want it to be, but I just felt like ranting.

Rest assured, 8.1 is going to be pretty cool and bring some much needed changes to the platform.

No I agree that it's frustrating. But we've known what it was gonna be like for quite a while.

I think they were seriously behind schedule with WP8 and spent a good few months to catch up. I think the reason why we haven't seen feature releases is that this year the GDR releases had to be used for the most basic stuff that they ran out time with last year. I've a feeling that this will change going forward with 8.1 and that we'll see the GDR releases used for new features, too.

edit: just re-read this post and my thoughts have the same sort of intellectual quality as your average conspiracy theory.

You may call me the Alex Jones of the Windows Phone thread from now on.

Verge Lumia 1020 Review: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/24/4550342/nokia-lumia-1020-review

Was ecosystem always a 5? I thought it was a 6 recently

I am still shock that the phone got 8.1. I was expect another 7.9. Overall it's a good review but complaining about using Windows Phone not having support of Google stuff is like buying a Mac then complain about lack of Windows software or games availability on a Mac. I think reviewers should not subject everyone to his or her usages.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
seems like phone 8.1 will bring phone and real windows together, at least in terms of the dev environment. So if windows 8 sells then windows phone should be fine. Still will never overtake andriod though but it might get enough market share to be relevant.

Talon

I am still shock that the phone got 8.1. I was expect another 7.9. Overall it's a good review but complaining about using Windows Phone not having support of Google stuff is like buying a Mac then complain about lack of Windows software or games availability on a Mac. I think reviewers should not subject everyone to his or her usages.
Eh, not really. Google services are (ideally) platform independent. Obviously, Maps, Drive, etc. support is dependent on Google developing those apps.

However, Gmail support is sort of a baseline across the board. Blackberry devices fucked up push notifications from Gmail for years.

Eh, not really. Google services are (ideally) platform independent. Obviously, Maps, Drive, etc. support is dependent on Google developing those apps.

However, Gmail support is sort of a baseline across the board. Blackberry devices fucked up push notifications from Gmail for years.

How is Windows Phone supposed to get Gmail, when Google refuses to develop an app for it? When I go to gmail.com with IE10 Mobile, a HTML5 capable browser (100/100 Acid3) , I get the IE6 Mobile version (just like with the mobile Maps version), because fuck Microsoft for not using WebKit, the only true web standard. Then they kill Active Sync support, which is fair enough, make MS implement CalDav, only to drop the API few weeks later.

Talon

How is Windows Phone supposed to get Gmail, when Google refuses to develop an app for it? When I go to gmail.com with IE10 Mobile, a HTML5 capable browser (100/100 Acid3) , I get the IE6 Mobile version (just like with the mobile Maps version), because fuck Microsoft for not using WebKit, the only true web standard. Then they kill Active Sync support, which is fair enough, make MS implement CalDav, only to drop the API few weeks later.
C'mon, Brot. You know it's more than HTML5.

Google actually reversed course on CalDav after the outcry.

PG2G

I actually won't blame Microsoft for spending significant resources in reaching lower ends of the markets. It actually gives me some hope seeing market share rise (outside of the US) and it is necessary for Nokia (the only reason WP still exists) to stay afloat.

Will be interested in seeing what they bring in 8.1. I'm not going to bother expecting too much from GDR3.

bedlamite

While we're talking about 8.1...

WP 8.1/9 concept video

Some fantastic ideas in here, I particularly like the expanded-use Xbox Music tile and the design of the volume controls (3-dot menu drops down individual volume profiles. So simple, yet so brilliant.)

So it is platform independent but depend on platform support by Google. That's like saying iOS is platform neutral if you use Apple support products. Again my point is if one prefer using Apple eco why would you buy Windows products same as Google if you mainly use Google service, then you would get Android. If you buy Windows Phone then hopefully you are OK with Microsoft eco system. Google support of iOS will erode as Androids grew and we are already seeing that. The thing is iOS still have big share of mobile devices so Google can't completely pull out of iOS ecosystem, when they finally could, they will.

hwalker84

While we're talking about 8.1...

WP 8.1/9 concept video

Some fantastic ideas in here, I particularly like the expanded-use Xbox Music tile and the design of the volume controls (3-dot menu drops down individual volume profiles. So simple, yet so brilliant.)

There are a lot of things I like in the video and some that I really didn't aka the extra row of tiles, split screen, basically 2:15-3:40 can go away. Don't like the buttons on the music tile either.

bedlamite

I take back what I said about the Xbox Music live tile, buttons on tiles seems like an usability nightmare. I suppose the only thing I really want from this concept video is the volume implementation.

kharma45

I take back what I said about the Xbox Music live tile, buttons on tiles seems like an usability nightmare. I suppose the only thing I really want from this concept video is the volume implementation.

I don't see the need for it, you get basic controls anyway with the volume buttons when you hit one giving pause, forward and back. Exactly what his tile has.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Found this gem on the gaming side, :lol

I'm definitely anti-MS everything at this point. Had a 360 - no decent games the last few years so I gave it to the teenager. Regret ever buying the system. Besides, I prefer Sony first party, and 90% of the games are overlap between systems.

Have MS Office on my Mac for work (complete piece of garbage, and use Google Docs instead - seriously the only app on my Mac Pro I fear to open).

Had a Zune HD - never again

Colleague had a Surface Pro for a week - he traded it in for an Android tablet

Windows 8 is hot garbage, and my company even has a warning that they will not support it if anyone downloads it on their own. Have a Windows VM for one or two applications, but open it maybe once every few months ( Windows 7, last decent MS OS)

Windows phone? - don't make me laugh

The ONLY product I've seen that shows any promise is Hyper-V, and that is only because it is "free". If it weren't, there are better alternatives.

So yeah, mark me down as a MS hater... I've seen nothing to be excited about from them in quite a while. And I'm not reliant on Windows like a lot of people are who simply are unaware of the alternatives out there.

Guys I'm conflicted. I've been on WP for years but I might be jumping to the iPhone...

My contract is up and I've got the choice to pick up a new phone. I've had an HTC HD7 for over 2 years now and it was my first smartphone (I know, LTTP and all), so I've never had an Android/iPhone/whatever and have only played around with iOS on phones from family members.

It wasn't until very recently that I've realized my experience with the HD7 has been...kinda shitty actually. Within weeks the chrome finish on the camera/volume/power buttons started scraping off after light, very careful use, forcing me to buy a case (I hate cases and wouldn't have bought one if it hadn't been fro that). The touchscreen shits itself quite frequently, ranging from unresponsive to giving false signals, rendering the phone unusable until I either wait several minutes for it to go away or I restart the phone. Thank god for the (what I've been told is a) fast boot up time, but rebooting the phone kills a good 25%-30% of my battery each time. The rumble is crappy and loud, you hear it more than you feel it, actually. It's annoying hearing the giant BZZT of the rumble each and every time I press one of the bottom 3 touch buttons (which is pretty often, as other WPers probably know). Most other phones are far quieter on this by contrast. The Wi-Fi antenna frequently craps out and just stops getting any signal, even when I'm sitting right next to an access point/router.

Then there's the issues with WP7, the biggest one of course being the poor app ecosystem. It probably sounds silly, but I really want the Steam phone app and WP probably will never get it. There are other similar apps that just aren't on WP but available elsewhere, I just feel like I consistently am missing out.

So I'm mostly considering a switch to iPhone based on hardware. I've had too many issues with my phone in the past, and other siblings have other HTC phones and they all fell equally "cheap" (relatively speaking), whereas I futz around with an iPhone for a few minutes and I immediately like the build quality better. Buttons are more solid, feel nicer, I'm not accidentally touching touchbuttons taking me out of the browser into a Bing Search page, the works.

It's probably silly to ask this in the WP thread since I might get a biased answer, but are my concerns mostly just grass-is-greener or are they actually warranted? Any input from former iPhone users who switched to WP? Keep in mind my smartphone experience exactly this phone with WP7, so I don't have any other frame of reference and I can't tell if my desire to jump to iPhone is just me inadvertently drinking the Kool-Aid.

Guys I'm conflicted. I've been on WP for years but I might be jumping to the iPhone...

My contract is up and I've got the choice to pick up a new phone. I've had an HTC HD7 for over 2 years now and it was my first smartphone (I know, LTTP and all), so I've never had an Android/iPhone/whatever and have only played around with iOS on phones from family members.

It wasn't until very recently that I've realized my experience with the HD7 has been...kinda shitty actually. Within weeks the chrome finish on the camera/volume/power buttons started scraping off after light, very careful use, forcing me to buy a case (I hate cases and wouldn't have bought one if it hadn't been fro that). The touchscreen shits itself quite frequently, ranging from unresponsive to giving false signals, rendering the phone unusable until I either wait several minutes for it to go away or I restart the phone. Thank god for the (what I've been told is a) fast boot up time, but rebooting the phone kills a good 25%-30% of my battery each time. The rumble is crappy and loud, you hear it more than you feel it, actually. It's annoying hearing the giant BZZT of the rumble each and every time I press one of the bottom 3 touch buttons (which is pretty often, as other WPers probably know). Most other phones are far quieter on this by contrast. The Wi-Fi antenna frequently craps out and just stops getting any signal, even when I'm sitting right next to an access point/router.

Then there's the issues with WP7, the biggest one of course being the poor app ecosystem. It probably sounds silly, but I really want the Steam phone app and WP probably will never get it. There are other similar apps that just aren't on WP but available elsewhere, I just feel like I consistently am missing out.

So I'm mostly considering a switch to iPhone based on hardware. I've had too many issues with my phone in the past, and other siblings have other HTC phones and they all fell equally "cheap" (relatively speaking), whereas I futz around with an iPhone for a few minutes and I immediately like the build quality better. Buttons are more solid, feel nicer, I'm not accidentally touching touchbuttons taking me out of the browser into a Bing Search page, the works.

It's probably silly to ask this in the WP thread since I might get a biased answer, but are my concerns mostly just grass-is-greener or are they actually warranted? Any input from former iPhone users who switched to WP? Keep in mind my smartphone experience exactly this phone with WP7, so I don't have any other frame of reference and I can't tell if my desire to jump to iPhone is just me inadvertently drinking the Kool-Aid.

Nokia build quality is probably miles better than the HTC you have right now. Not to mention the software support.

In other news: My generic Qi charging pad finally arrived today.

RW6eamE.jpg

3ROOhmj.jpg

It might not look as sleek as the Nokia one, but it seems to work just fine and it cost me less than 20 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom