• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

So I got my 1020 today...... Feel much better than the 920. Finally the screen flows like the Lumia 800. Feels super premium with the matte finish. The Backup and restore works really well. Feels noticeably lighter than the 920. Love it!!!

I bought a HTC ONE after 5 years being married to IOS. Really liking my experience so far.

But I dropped in to say this - I'm still waiting for Microsoft to catch up to the required market share. Once MS figures out the app situation I'm jumping on a Nokia phone.

The question is how you define "the app situation". Microsoft will never get a billion apps in their store, like Android and they'll never be the cool kid that gets all new fancy apps first, like iOS.

Right now they and Nokia are focusing on getting the big names on board and they're doing an okay job, I'd say. The announcement of Flipboard was a big surprise, imo. For the rest you have usually some really good 3rd party apps. If you don't think that's good enough, you might as well stay on Android (an ecosystem, that is already treated as the red-headed stepchild by developers).

jiayEbX.jpg

6" Lumia, that's might be too large for my liking.

derFeef

So I got my 1020 today...... Feel much better than the 920. Finally the screen flows like the Lumia 800. Feels super premium with the matte finish. The Backup and restore works really well. Feels noticeably lighter than the 920. Love it!!!

Pics pls.

:)

Do you even need instagram anymore? I thought there were 3rd party apps for uploading now?

Official app/name carries much more weigth.

JaggedSac

Did you get it from the MS store?!?! Mine hasn't shipped yet. They better not be damned backordered, I will cancel it and pick one up from a store around here. To hell with the camera grip, I'm impatient.

hwalker84

Did you get it from the MS store?!?! Mine hasn't shipped yet.

No me and the Microsoft store had issues. I don't think they're shipping till tomorrow.

One thing that pisses me off and I figured this would be the case. When you have a password set and Pro cam set as your default camera app. When you try holding the camera button to snap some quick photo's while in a locked state you still have to input your password.

Do you even need instagram anymore? I thought there were 3rd party apps for uploading now?

You don't need it per se, as the Store has some 3rd party apps, but 1. the official client is free, Instance/Itsdagram costs money, 2. blogs and reviewers don't give a fuck about 3rd party apps and they shouldn't.

To quote a Lumia 1020 review from a popular tech blog I don't want to name or link right now:
Taking pictures of a concert is hard with any camera, especially when you’re shooting from section 209. But I think it was during "H to the Izzo" that I snapped the best photo I’ve ever taken with a phone at a concert. It’s perfect: the lights are frozen in place, everything’s perfectly lit and in focus, and the crowd is roaring its approval at Jay Z. I needed to show this to some people.

That’s when I had a bit of a crisis. I wanted to put it on Instagram, except there’s no client; there are only third-party apps of varying quality and trustworthiness. (The best of them is Instance, which costs $1.49 and doesn’t support video uploads.) Or Google+, which is my favorite way of uploading full-res images, and really, half the fun of taking 34-megapixel images is showing people your 34-megapixel images.

You can retouch images using the cool Creative Studio app, and use Nokia’s lenses to take a panorama or an animated GIF. But your sharing options are way too limited — the apps photo enthusiasts want most are by and large just not available. Flickr’s one of only a few exceptions, and even its app is woefully outdated: the splash screen says "Flickr for Windows Phone 7."

1st party software is a must.

JaggedSac

No me and the Microsoft store had issues. I don't think they're shipping till tomorrow.

One thing that pisses me off and I figured this would be the case. When you have a password set and Pro cam set as your default camera app. When you try holding the camera button to snap some quick photo's while in a locked state you still have to input your password.

Damn, does FedEx deliver on Saturdays?

kharma45

Left my Lumia in with Nokia to be repaired on Tuesday afternoon and got it back today, pretty damn good warranty work that. Didn't think i would get it back so fast.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

Can you backup your games using that as well?

browsed and tried some apps in the W8 marketplace. app selection is much improved but many apps like nokia music are pay apps compared to the tons of free apps for WP8. all the more reason to go with a phablet these days. if there's a lumia phablet with the 41mp sensor, 1080p screen, and quad core with a kick ass gpu, i'll bite for sure.

Samus4145

Is there anyway to skip in videos on my Lumia 928. Whenever a Youtube video players I can start/pause or go back to the beginning, with no options to select where I want to rewind of fast forward to.

MCD

Is there anyway to skip in videos on my Lumia 928. Whenever a Youtube video players I can start/pause or go back to the beginning, with no options to select where I want to rewind of fast forward to.

Use 3rd party apps like mytube and MetroTube till MS and Google get in bed together.

Lucius86

Banned
Just submitted my first ever app for anything to the Store tonight - lets hope it doesn't take too long to get approved (or rejected...) - proud moment clicking upload; I've always hated programming but I completed this damn personal project of mine.

Microsoft need to explain key aspects of making an app clearer. I spent way too long Googling stuff I would have thought be documented somewhere already.

Samus4145

Well even with new YouTube apps videos appear to open in some default full screen system video player where I can't click on the timelines.

I wonder why Nokia can release an App to upload to youtube while Microsoft can't integrate it into the OS. I mean, Google has the APIs to upload right their on YouTube's developer site. Also if Google was so against Microsoft using Youtube for anything Windows Phone, like they have repeatedly shown, why would they let Nokia, the largest Windows Phone OEM to make one?

Nokia apps and support is untouched.

To think that I almost bought an Ativ S or 8X, because they were 80-100 bucks cheaper ...

In other news, while GDR3 adds 1080p support in Windows Phone, Google is already implementing 4k support in Android. lol Microsoft.

Nero3000

To think that I almost bought an Ativ S or 8X, because they were 80-100 bucks cheaper ...

In other news, while GDR3 adds 1080p support in Windows Phone, Google is already implementing 4k support in Android. lol Microsoft.

Yeah i don't think there is a need for 4k - and id be surprised if there was a phone of <6" with a 4K display in the next 2 years.

MCD

I love HTC recent designs but yeah, Nokia got me by the balls.

And let's get a proper update before worrying about 4k.

Um, guys, I think I'm beginning to think of replacing my phone just 13 months in. Early upgrade does mean the prices are higher than end-of-contract prices, but...

I kind of want a *insert $0 phone here* now. How can I shake this off? Funny as heck, even going for a 620 is an upgrade.

Yeah but seriously though...4K on a phone.

On a tablet...sure...windows 8/RT already supports that.

I was sort of kidding and wanted to say that the comparison wasn't really fair, because Android's also being used as a tablet OS. The only thing that's really cool about 4.3 so far is the app permission settings on the OS level. That's something that MS should seriously implement in 8.1 (but that won't happen, if it wasn't planned from the beginning).

nexusae0_wm_2013-07-25-13.35.31_thumb.png

kharma45

Has HERE Drive stopped working for anyone else with a Lumia 620? HERE Maps still work fine but Drive won't pick up my location at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Um, guys, I think I'm beginning to think of replacing my phone just 13 months in. Early upgrade does mean the prices are higher than end-of-contract prices, but...

I kind of want a *insert $0 phone here* now. How can I shake this off? Funny as heck, even going for a 620 is an upgrade.

I'm pretty sure that we told you not to buy the 900 because it wouldn't upgrade to wp8 and you ignored us.

Save some money, sell the 900 and get a 620 or 720 off contract, so you can use your upgrade for the next Nokia superphone at full subsidy.

Don't go using a subsidy on anything but a top tier phone, don't make the same mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom