• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that we told you not to buy the 900 because it wouldn't upgrade to wp8 and you ignored us.

Save some money, sell the 900 and get a 620 or 720 off contract, so you can use your upgrade for the next Nokia superphone at full subsidy.

Don't go using a subsidy on anything but a top tier phone, don't make the same mistake again.

By the time I joined, I've already had my phone.

Then again, I start to wonder what we'll have in another year. Maybe I can still hang onto my phone, since it's just so-so at this point, but still serviceable, especially for getting things done.

If I had a Lumia 900 on contract id replace it with a 52X in a heartbeat. $99 off contract is hard to beat

Hehe, but I find a lot of use in using the LEDs for lighting up my way, and the screen's usable even when it's bright and sunny. Is the 52X as usable as the 900 under sunlight?

maeh2k

I'm still happy with my Optimus 7 :)
I think I've had it for just about two years and I'm not thinking about replacing it anytime soon.

Currently I barely need it, anyway. Only for phone functions, calendar, and AlphaJax ^^.

PG2G

Hehe, but I find a lot of use in using the LEDs for lighting up my way, and the screen's usable even when it's bright and sunny. Is the 52X as usable as the 900 under sunlight?

Haven't used one myself, but yeah I imagine things like the screen and camera are much worse lol

hadareud

The Translator
EE have released an app last week that lets you check your data.

Took them 9 months and they couldn't even be arsed to make a live tile for it and it looks like the shittiest Android app you've ever seen.

PG2G

Oh i forgot to say datasense doesn't seem to be available on the AT&T 1020.

Terrible, even carriers that don't give a damn about WP support it.

I'll be seriously thinking about a switch to T-Mobile when my contract is over. I think i'd probably be able to get Jump for the price of my current AT&T plan lol

The DataSense situation on WP is weird, when you consider that Android has something like DataSense on all devices that come with 4.1 or above.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The at&t app does a good job of tracking your data use, but of course there's no live tile and you have to manually check.

edit: ESPN updated their fantasy football app for Nokia phones, great news.

Unfortunately, the yahoo apps, that will feature access to the live drafts for the first time this year, are only on ios and android. :'(

hadareud

The Translator
20 quid is an outrage though.

I really wish I wouldn't have been raised to be an F1 fan, because the people running it are utter scum. Maybe Bernie will have his comeuppance next year, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I have no backbone and I will continue to watch every race. I won't buy that app though. I'm taking a stand!

derFeef

Forecast is pretty great, love the weather info. It can't compete with Amazing Weather's live tile and lockscreen features though, such a shame - I am torn between those two.

Forecast is pretty great, love the weather info. It can't compete with Amazing Weather's live tile and lockscreen features though, such a shame - I am torn between those two.

My only wish for Forecast would be more options for the lockscreen (because I'm too lazy to pick a wallpaper) and a better tiny tile, because who the fuck needs to know the wind speed?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

One thing I don't like about Forecast is that the live tile will say the next day at 10pm.

JaggedSac

Got my 1020 today. Been farting around with the camera stuff. This was an auto uploaded image sent to SkyDrive set to upload at high quality on WiFi.

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't know how to hotlink to SkyDrive stuff.

bedlamite

Any of you tried Oggl yet?
I just installed it, interface looks really busy.

I can't browse the Instagram network with this, which is a bit of a bummer. That said, Oggl isn't Instagram, obviously, but WP8 already has tons of powerful camera apps, and a handful that'll let you browse your IG feed. Not sure where Oggl fits into all this

You know what would be cool? If big name developers would not only develop and release their apps for Windows Phone, but also keep them updated and fresh and not abandon them! That would be sooooo cool!

Fucking TuneIn Radio is in the exact same state when I used it back then at the WP7 launch. No pro version, no alarm clock, no snooze, no nothing. I wonder if the fm radio function still works on WP8.

And do I need to mention Spotify? I don't think I do.

In my annoying rant about the slow pace of the Windows Phone OS development, I mentioned how Microsoft just seems to sit out Blackberry's death to take their 3rd place. Looks like they're money hatting it a bit as well.

A month ago we wrote that Telefonica would be throwing their weight behind Windows Phone in an effort to break the iPhone/Android duopoly.

Today in a leaked internal document we are now seeing the first fruit of this effort, with the news that O2 Germany will be dropping all their own Blackberry BES phones for Nokia Lumia 520 and 925 handsets.

The move, which is effective immediately, will see all sales reps carrying Nokia Lumia 520s as their work phone, while store managers and above will get Nokia Lumia 925 handsets, and will see O2 save more than 250,000 Euro ($330,000) in fees to Blackberry.

”With the new mobile service control we now use our internal strategic cooperation with Microsoft to save time and high costs," explained Mario Buchner, Executive Assistant to MD Corporate Affairs & Strategy for Telefónica Germany. "For the next year we are saving more than a quarter million euros due to the elimination of BlackBerry."

Good compatibility with Microsoft’s office products also helped convince O2.

"The integration of Windows products in our System landscape is very simple, "explains Alexander Hofmann, Group Manager Platform Deployment in ST in the document. This is reflected in the smooth synchronization of Calendar entries and e-mails, but also the unrestricted access to all Office applications. So you can on the Windows interface, for example, open and edit PowerPoint documents or ExceI tables. The widely-known problems in representing and editing Office documents with iOS and Android devices does not exist with Windows Phone.

O2 Germany has just purchased E-Plus, making it Germany’s largest carrier and giving it 45% market share. The move to replace their internal systems will also help them sell Windows Phone to consumers and other businesses.

Telefonica’s other operations in U.K., Germany, Spain, Mexico, Brazil and Chile are expected to follow suit soon.

You know what would be cool? If big name developers would not only develop and release their apps for Windows Phone, but also keep them updated and fresh and not abandon them! That would be sooooo cool!

Fucking TuneIn Radio is in the exact same state when I used it back then at the WP7 launch. No pro version, no alarm clock, no snooze, no nothing. I wonder if the fm radio function still works on WP8.

And do I need to mention Spotify? I don't think I do.
Spotify on Android gets updated all the time and it still sucks.

Spotify on Android gets updated all the time and it still sucks.

I know it took them a year or two to implement notification controls, but imagine having the Android version of Spotify taking a shit.

That's the Windows Phone version. It works in the most basic way and the only good thing is that it doesn't crash all the time anymore.

MCD

I know it took them a year or two to implement notification controls, but imagine having the Android version of Spotify taking a shit.

That's the Windows Phone version. It works in the most basic way and the only good thing is that it doesn't crash all the time anymore.

Welcome back to the third ecosystem!

Talon

I won't say Spotify is complete garbage, but Rdio's mobile apps are like a breath of fresh air compared to the competitors. I think it's the best music app.

Razdek

Banned

That sounds about right with MS being the ones holding Nokia back especially with "time is of the essence" part. Man, I remember the WP8 reveal and the optimism that things were finally going to change and being so excited I never thought it would be the same old same old. Not sure what they can do to kick start momentum.

MCD

That sounds about right with MS being the ones holding Nokia back especially with "time is of the essence" part. Man, I remember the WP8 reveal and the optimism that things were finally going to change and being so excited I never thought it would be the same old same old. Not sure what they can do to kick start momentum.

Remember Mango? We could have got another one this October but nope, have some GDR2 while the rest of MS finish their projects.

this_guy

I won't say Spotify is complete garbage, but Rdio's mobile apps are like a breath of fresh air compared to the competitors. I think it's the best music app.

How's Rdio on Windows phone? I had Rdio after I dropped Spotify when I was on Android, and now I'm on XBox music with my nokia 920. I want to go back to either Rdio or Spotify so I can use those services on other devices.

Razdek

Banned
Remember Mango? We could have got another one this October but nope, have some GDR2 while the rest of MS finish their projects.

yea, this fall would have been the perfect tome to introduce WP 8.1 as the update to Android and IOS 7 doesn't seem to be that big a jump from their previous versions. A mango like upgrade could maybe put them at least on par feature and hardware wise. Still looking forward to GDR 3 and the VPN pack though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom