• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

yea, this fall would have been the perfect tome to introduce WP 8.1 as the update to Android and IOS 7 doesn't seem to be that big a jump from their previous versions. A mango like upgrade could maybe put them at least on par feature and hardware wise. Still looking forward to GDR 3 and the VPN pack though.
Not a big jump? It's the biggest since 4. Full multitasking and automated scheduling is going to make a big difference.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Went to AT&T and played around with the gorgeous beast. Some impressions:

-I couldn't believe how amazing the camera is. I've seen the samples, but to take an actual picture and zoom in to see the details is something that has to be experienced in person.

-As much as we hate on AT&T for not pushing Windows Phone, my store today was virtually Lumia 1020 land. Banner out front, huge banner behind the CS counters, and a kiosk that had two yellow phones, and two demo scenarios: a dark box with a scene to test low light and a "miniature world" diorama that tests the incredible zoom abilities.

-It's so light coming from a 920 it's insane. The thing is, it's so visually similar that if you're a 920 user you won't believe how light it is in comparison. Also matte yellow is sexy as heck.

It took every bit of my self control to walk out without the phone. I went in there and picked up a 520 for my daughter. Amazing little budget phone, I can't believe that was only 100 bones.

Blackhead

Redarse
Remember Mango? We could have got another one this October but nope, have some GDR2 while the rest of MS finish their projects.

Yeah I don't understand why Microsoft haven't made WP their priority; it still gets the black sheep status in the list of products. Why can't WP be included in the Blue update coming this year?

WP should have caught up with Android and iOS by now. Software is all Microsoft does; it's their expertise. WP launched when Google was still pushing out Gingerbread. I tried out the Nexus One and Nexus S on Gingerbread and they were so horrible that I preferred to use a Dell Venue instead of any Android device. Then the Galaxy Nexus launched with Ice Cream Sandwich and WP has been lagging behind...

Android updates have slowed a bit over the past year. In fact a couple Android fans have been arguing that the Samsung Touchwiz features are the cutting edge of mobile OS right now (I disagree). Do you think Nokia should get similarly aggressive about adding features to WP? Perhaps put in a notification center and multiwindow mod?

P.S. I use Backuptrans to transfer sms/mms back and forth from iOS to Android. Anything similar to WP

hwalker84

Yeah I don't understand why Microsoft haven't made WP their priority; it still gets the black sheep status in the list of products. Why can't WP be included in the Blue update coming this year?

WP should have caught up with Android and iOS by now. Software is all Microsoft does; it's their expertise. WP launched when Google was still pushing out Gingerbread. I tried out the Nexus One and Nexus S on Gingerbread and they were so horrible that I preferred to use a Dell Venue instead of any Android device. Then the Galaxy Nexus launched with Ice Cream Sandwich and WP has been lagging behind...

Android updates have slowed a bit over the past year. In fact a couple Android fans have been arguing that the Samsung Touchwiz features are the cutting edge of mobile OS right now (I disagree). Do you think Nokia should get similarly aggressive about adding features to WP? Perhaps put in a notification center and multiwindow mod?

P.S. I use Backuptrans to transfer sms/mms back and forth from iOS to Android. Anything similar to WP
Unfortunately Nokia cannot go as far as adding a notification center or other major OS additions. But yes WP truly feels like the 8th-10th concern in Microsoft's development priorities. It doesn't feel like the man power that is necessary to move at a pace to catch up is on the team.

This is still my favorite mobile OS by a LARGE margin.

f0lken

So today I went bowling with some friends, one of them asked me to setup her new Lumia 620, and then she told me that she choose the Nokia because everyone has galaxys or iphones...

Then as the day passed we counted 9 persons with their own lumias (with us 11). She still like it but doesn't feel special anymore -________-

Mexico is indeed still Nokia land.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So today I went bowling with some friends, one of them asked me to setup her new Lumia 620, and then she told me that she choose the Nokia because everyone has galaxys or iphones...

Then as the day passed we counted 9 persons with their own lumias (with us 11). She still like it but doesn't feel special anymore -________-

Mexico is indeed still Nokia land.
come to the US. Lumias are a rare breed.

The Verge finally picked up on that story:

"Nokia starts bitchin 'bout Joe's slow ass"

Nokia has been releasing devices consistently since Windows Phone 8 shipped in November, but the lack of apps and software updates has always been the weak point. "We are releasing new devices frequently and for every new device, if there is an app that somebody cares about that's not there that's a missed opportunity of a sale," says Biniak. Describing Microsoft's focus on its budget and end of year targets, Biniak says "waiting until the end of your fiscal year when you need to close your targets, doesn't do us any good when I have phones to sell today."

Biniak didn't call out Microsoft fully, but it's clear his frustrations are related to the slow progress of the software powering Nokia's Lumia devices. "It's not just about the hardware, it's about the tools that are on the hardware. You can't sell a phone without the apps, you just can't." Expanding on the lack of apps, Biniak acknowledges that smartphone users won't switch unless relevant apps are available. He calls on Microsoft and Nokia to do more to give people a reason to switch to Windows Phone. "To give you a reason to switch, I need to make sure the apps that you care about on your device are not only on our phones, but are better. I also need to provide you unique experiences that you can't get on your other devices."

""As a company we don't want to rely on somebody else and sit and wait for them to get it right.""

Despite the frustrations, Biniak thinks the situation is improving. "People will be hard-pressed to say '[Windows Phone] doesn't have this app," by the end of 2013 claims Biniak. It's clear Nokia isn't waiting around for Microsoft to improve things. "As a company we don't want to rely on somebody else and sit and wait for them to get it right." Nokia has been pushing for improvements to Windows Phone, including an upcoming update that will support Bluetooth 4.0 on compatible devices. Meanwhile, Microsoft has been largely focused on additions to Windows Phone to support new chipsets and hardware, with the big changes due in early 2014 with Windows Phone "Blue."

LNNyXrz.png

Pretty weak development for Windows Phone.

e: Nokia Amber update change log:

• Glance Screen Clock Charging indicator / low battery Indicator for silent / vibra mode, night mode (change color for night time). OFF by default.
  • Smart camera capture the best moment. Accidental remove unwanted objects from the scene. Select the best shot and precise moment. Sequense take a group of images with advanced face, smile and blink detection. The, best ‘face for each person is automatically selected into a single, best’ shot.
  • FM Radio Be ready to tune your favorite station – FM Radio is BACK! Store your favorite stations for the next time.
  • HERE branding Location & Commerce
  • Here Maps v3.4 Your compass is a discovery What’s New: Increased venue map coverage Favorites saved in HERE Maps now sync across all HERE experiences Personalized Live Tile options: Pin and Pin destination to start a place to start as favorite Pin Pin to start a place category to start
  • Here Drive + v2.2 The open road made ​​easy What’s New: Sync favorite places with other apps HERE and here.com Customize your map to display relevant points of interest, dry as restaurants, gas stations, and more one-tap access to speed limit Alert options right from the dashboard Personalized Live Tile options: Pin to Start a destination (one tap gives driving directions to That destination)
  • Here Transit v3.5 Now arriving: the best way across town What’s New: Access your favorites through your searches Display nearby stations directly on a map opens Transit Maps to display more route options Transit Maps opens to display the battles navigation options Personalized Live Tile: Pin a destination like Home, Work, or School to start (one tap shows public transit routes and times to get there from wherever you are)
  • Flip to silence Flip the phone to turn it silence.
  • Date of sense Managing your data flow monitor and control data usage Optimally compressing web traffic.
  • Find your closest hotspot Enriched web services (for operators).

Fjolle

Fuck.. I need this:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/29/4...-bluetooth-nfc-proximity-sensor-windows-phone

The basic idea is to let Windows Phone users track items with a special application and the small square Treasure Tag accessory. Nokia has built a Treasure Tag application for Windows Phone that will let users manage the sensor and locate it when it's lost. The app will also display the location of the sensor on a map, complete with Nokia's LiveSight augmented reality view. You'll also be able to locate a phone that's paired to the sensor by holding down a key on the device. The sensor will trigger a notification sound on a phone, but only if it's within range.

Lucius86

Banned
The market share declined or stagnated in 3 out of 5 European markets, including Italy, which had a strong growth going. I'd call that pretty weak. Some of us were actually hoping for the OS to cross the 10% milestone in Italy.

Across the board, I can't disagree with you - I was just pleasantly surprised to see the UK market jump by double. And that's before a Lumia 1020 release.

In other news - my app is still in the "Status: Processing certification" stage. Chop chop, I'm getting impatient Microsoft.

PG2G

The market share declined or stagnated in 3 out of 5 European markets, including Italy, which had a strong growth going. I'd call that pretty weak. Some of us were actually hoping for the OS to cross the 10% milestone in Italy.

Italy has actually been on a downward trend for the last few reports

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Can the declining numbers be attributed to Nokia not releasing their smartphones in those markets in a timely manner? I know they stagger their releases in some areas, that could hurt WP growth.

Nero3000

Alright I put my money where my mouth is and ordered:

• Wireless Charging Plate (for home)
  • Wireless Charging Stand (for Office)
  • Charging Shell for my 925

The hardware ecosystem is very important and what puts iOS over Android (everything "works with"/"designed for" iPhone).

Will get this treasure tag aswell. I hope they are cheaper than the wireless stuff.

kharma45

From the Apple's smartphone marketshare drops to less than 14% thread

E6PTNjv.png

For such a relatively small platform Windows Phone gives great returns.

derFeef

I hope that display problem does not get worse, or should I send it right back. It looks like an engraved "14" or something, so weird.

this_guy

Anyone else getting repetitive Facebook notifications like 12 hours late?

Speaking of Facebook, the built in Facebook chat doesn't seem reliable. Someone starts a chat with me, but when chatting I won't get messages right away. It's kind of annoying.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
From the Apple's smartphone marketshare drops to less than 14% thread

http://i.imgur.com/E6PTNjv.png[IMG]

For such a relatively small platform Windows Phone gives great returns.[/QUOTE]

weren't Microsoft buying their own ads though?

edit:

[url]http://semiaccurate.com/2013/07/22/microsoft-drove-the-bus-off-the-cliff-now-it-tries-to-speed-up/[/url]

[QUOTE]That said there are some games and apps here and there, but there is a big dark secret to them. Some of the apps that are there were funded, a handful were not, but any free commercial apps are ad supported like they are on other platforms. Like Google, Microsoft sells these ads and makes money by doing so. Early Windows 8/WART/Windows Phone devs reported robust ad money so all is good, right?

On April 1st, no joke, that came to a screeching halt. From 100% fill rates and a meager living to low single digits in a day, what could have happened? The dark secret was those 90%++ of the ad slots that are now empty were being purchased by Microsoft for internal use, mostly Bing ads. They agreed to purchase any unfilled slots for a period of time, and that period ended on March 31, 2013. Ad revenue has gone from barely tolerable to essentially zero, what was not worth making an app for voluntarily is now a dead zone with no chance of recovery.[/QUOTE]

Milchjon

Speaking of Facebook, the built in Facebook chat doesn't seem reliable. Someone starts a chat with me, but when chatting I won't get messages right away. It's kind of annoying.

It has sucked for quite some time for me (WP 7.8).

Dunno if it's been that bad from the start, but recently I only get messages before I answer, after that the rest of them don't appear in the hub.

Also, LTTP but congrats on successfully dropping your Nexus!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So Next Gen reader is stuck and won't respond to touches. How do I close this app? I tried hitting the back button but it won't respond. I tried opening a bunch of other apps hoping that it would flush from memory, but no dice. Any ideas?

hwalker84

So Next Gen reader is stuck and won't respond to touches. How do I close this app? I tried hitting the back button but it won't respond. I tried opening a bunch of other apps hoping that it would flush from memory, but no dice. Any ideas?

Power button + volume down to soft reboot.

wait for an update that makes you reset your phone. Then turn it off in the middle of spinning gears to brick it. Then throw it at a wall. Then send it to nokia for repairs.

1020 is selling like shit. ATT usually reserves new models for online and their own retail stores before phones are sold through their other channels (not including partners like Best Buy, etc). Once the initial demand is over then supply is allocated to these other sales channels. Sometimes it can take a week, sometimes a month. I remember the 920 taking something like 6-8 weeks. How long did it take the 1020? One weekend.

I expect a price drop soon.

JaggedSac

1020 is selling like shit. ATT usually reserves new models for online and their own retail stores before phones are sold through their other channels (not including partners like Best Buy, etc). Once the initial demand is over then supply is allocated to these other sales channels. Sometimes it can take a week, sometimes a month. I remember the 920 taking something like 6-8 weeks. How long did it take the 1020? One weekend.

Wow.

Troll

Banned

Maybe I won't sit it out then. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom