• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
1020 is selling like shit. ATT usually reserves new models for online and their own retail stores before phones are sold through their other channels (not including partners like Best Buy, etc). Once the initial demand is over then supply is allocated to these other sales channels. Sometimes it can take a week, sometimes a month. I remember the 920 taking something like 6-8 weeks. How long did it take the 1020? One weekend.

I expect a price drop soon.

Isn't this the same AT&T that dropped the HTC First to $0.99 after 2 weeks, and then discontinued it a week later? They don't exactly have faith in anything these days.

frontieruk

1020 is selling like shit. ATT usually reserves new models for online and their own retail stores before phones are sold through their other channels (not including partners like Best Buy, etc). Once the initial demand is over then supply is allocated to these other sales channels. Sometimes it can take a week, sometimes a month. I remember the 920 taking something like 6-8 weeks. How long did it take the 1020? One weekend.

I was under the impression neither AT&T nor Nokia were expecting to shift the 1020 in numbers, I remember reading Nokia was treating it as a niche device, I'm not familiar with US pricing for devices but it seems high at $299 on a 24 month contract, but as I say I'm not familiar with US subsidising schemes

MCD

Hopefully Nokia never go carrier exclusive again.

Are you saying that a phone that launched for $99 on a 2 year contract sold better than a phone that launched for $299 under the same conditions, same hardware and only one big differentiator?

Nobody was expecting it to sell like the 920 but ATT may have overestimated the demand for the 1020.

If so, then this is bad news for Nokia and fans of the 41mp sensor which we may not see again in another Lumia. The true 920 successor will probably contain a 20mp variation.

BTW, from the limited sample vids out there, I am not impressed with the OIS in the 1020. The 808 used software stabilization while the 1020 uses hardware. I don't believe the 1020 uses a combination of the 2 which many high end point and shoots use. Hopefully, software OIS can be added to the 1020's existing OIS system via a patch but I doubt it as this maybe a limitation of the current WP8 iteration.

The 1020 was never meant to be the successor of the 920. It's exactly what it looks like, a 920 with a slapped on 41MP sensor. There won't be a huge push for it nor is it going to be the new hero device.

Milchjon

>Implying there is going to be another Lumia.

tumblr_medmgbTAhT1qgng6vo5_500.gif

Hopefully Nokia never go carrier exclusive again.

Nokia made the same amazing mistake that Palm did tying themselves to Sprint while trying to make a comeback with the Pre. Nokia should have been on Verizon day 1 with AT&T from the beginning. It just doesn't make sense to cut yourself out of ~50% of the American wireless market by not playing ball with Verizon.

This goes for Sony too, if they actually want to cement the comeback of Sony Mobile, they have to launch their phones day and date on the 2 big American carriers. They have to play ball with AT&T and Verizon. Everyone else does after all.

Nokia made the same amazing mistake that Palm did tying themselves to Sprint while trying to make a comeback with the Pre. Nokia should have been on Verizon day 1 with AT&T from the beginning. It just doesn't make sense to cut yourself out of ~50% of the American wireless market by not playing ball with Verizon.

This goes for Sony too, if they actually want to cement the comeback of Sony Mobile, they have to launch their phones day and date on the 2 big American carriers. They have to play ball with AT&T and Verizon. Everyone else does after all.

It's pretty funny to see how the lesser Verizon Lumia 822 and HTC 8X had a bigger market share than AT&T's 920 flagship, even back in March, when AT&T was still the biggest WP carrier in the US. Now that Verizon got their 928, they comfortably passed AT&T in that regard as well. The footprint of the 928 is very small, but helped pushing the OS on that carrier.

Milchjon

So HTC is expected to post a loss for the quarter. Meanwhile Samsung soars.

Android users showing once again they're totally averse to aesthetics. Nokia will be dead either way.

So HTC is expected to post a loss for the quarter. Meanwhile Samsung soars.

Android users showing once again they're totally averse to aesthetics. Nokia will be dead either way.

It's a shame, really. I saw the HTC One in red yesterday and it's gorgeous.

HTC should've bought WebOS.

Totakeke

Sold where? More details please.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Over the weekend my father was looking for a new cheapish smartphone so I suggested to him the 520. He has picked it up and I think he is liking it so far but then this morning I got a text from him asking: "Is there no notification light on a 520?".

I felt embarrassed having to answer that no Windows 8 Lumia's have a notification light! Not that it matters to myself but I guess it did to him. I am tempted to knock something up in my spare time which will light up the windows button if you have a notification pending. Although I am not sure if you will even be able to do that, but I have been wanting to get into WP8 development.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There won't be a huge push for it nor is it going to be the new hero device.

There IS a big push for it at At&t, its their hero device for the summer.

I don't know if what cam is saying is true, but if so, I'll get it once the price drops. I'm the perfect match for this phone and even I balked at the price.

derFeef

My 8X works again, just booted after it was in coma for several days. Even had 90% battery life left... weird.

Will get refund for the 920 then...

Instagram deleting and blocking photos uploaded from third-party Windows Phone app
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4570610/instagram-deleting-photos-from-instance-windows-phone-app

It's kinda hilarious how badly Instagram don't want WP users to use their service. Just release thу goddamn app already.

Happy 8x owner, btw.

They should've asked first or simply read WPCentral, who put out the story first.

[Update] Try relaunching the app a few times. It wasn't Instagram that changed their APIs, instead the keychain used to authenticate needed an upgrade

e: But yes, that's exactly why 3rd party apps are never a good replacement.

MCD

WpCentral story was about login problems or something like that, no? Verge sad that the actual photos was removed from their account.

Yeah. This is a new story.

The login issue gets fixed after opening the app and closing for like 10 times.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was about to post this, a picture I uploaded yesterday was deleted. It was definitely there last night, then gone when I checked the app this morning.

Milchjon

Instagram deleting and blocking photos uploaded from third-party Windows Phone app
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4570610/instagram-deleting-photos-from-instance-windows-phone-app

It's kinda hilarious how badly Instagram don't want WP users to use their service. Just release thу goddamn app already.

Happy 8x owner, btw.

Hmm, I was wondering why some pics Rudy Huyn linked to didn't show up yesterday, and assumed he had simply deleted them himself.

This seriously sucks and I have no idea why they'd do such a thing.

To put things in perspective, their first loss ever.

While their devices are better than ever. Shame on you, Androidians.

So I'm using my new 1020 and really enjoying it so far but this mornings car ride I noticed that my messages weren't showing up via Bluetooth on my dashboards display. Songs were coming through fine, contacts came in fine but the messages option was greyed out. Any idea how or if you can enable this functionality?

edit: Also I have one more question. Why do some mobile sites look so much more basic on the internet explorer on windows phone as opposed to going to them on ios or android? For example, google.com and Americanexpress.com

Milchjon

edit: Also I have one more question. Why do some mobile sites look so much more basic on the internet explorer on windows phone as opposed to going to them on ios or android? For example, google.com and Americanexpress.com

Some sites still refer IE Mobile to their WAP presence. NFL.com was like that too until very recently.

Basically, Google are just being assholes. I think Google+ might be the one service that isn't completely gimped on WP, but I haven't really checked it more in-depth.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Instagram are assholes, just make a fucking app already then. You would think they have some kind of exclusivity deal. Surprised I have nothing deleted yet.

Instagram are assholes, just make a fucking app already then. You would think they have some kind of exclusivity deal. Surprised I have nothing deleted yet.

They're not doing it on purpose.

An Instagram spokesperson has confirmed that the company has implemented a recent change to its API. "We recently made an update to the systems that we use to fight spam to help prevent future attacks and increase security," says a spokesperson. The change will affect any apps accessing Instagram outside of the official API, and it appears to be a broad change that doesn't target any particular application. 6tagram, another third-party Windows Phone Instagram client currently in beta, is also experiencing issues.

zedge

That's one way to spin this.
Even if it was on purpose its their right to do so. The developer of instance even said what he was doing was against their tos. Not sure why people think its their 'right' to use something. It sucks yes. But I think it will be sorted out either way.

Milchjon

I know I'm a bit behind on this, but looking at all the cool stuff that Nokia Lund has been involved in, that acquisition seems to paid off. Photobeamer, Smart Cam, Pro Cam, Glam Me, etc...

Has any manufacturer made underwater cases for any Windows Phones yet? I don't see why it wouldn't work...the camera button is all you need to wake the phone up and take photos, technically. Would be great with the 1020.

Has any manufacturer made underwater cases for any Windows Phones yet? I don't see why it wouldn't work...the camera button is all you need to wake the phone up and take photos, technically. Would be great with the 1020.
Wait for the next Lumia to be waterproof, like the current Xperias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom