• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurbaan

Banned
Btw if anyone preored 1020 from Microsoft store online they had massive delays but I got an email yesterday saying I will get it August 1st and they gave me a $150 gift card to MSFT store.

Worked out pretty well.

1020 definitely needs a price drop though on ATT 300 on contract is too much. They need to get on all carriers but thats not gonna happen.

Anyone know about the lack of being able to read your text messages on your cars dashboard? I am really struggling finding anything on google.

I think it has something to do with a hole in the Windows Phone bluetooth support. It was one of the explanations Pebble gave out when making their smartwatch

JaggedSac

Btw if anyone preored 1020 from Microsoft store online they had massive delays but I got an email yesterday saying I will get it August 1st and they gave me a $150 gift card to MSFT store.

Worked out pretty well.

1020 definitely needs a price drop though on ATT 300 on contract is too much. They need to get on all carriers but thats not gonna happen.

Fuck me I should never have cancelled my preorder.

Pebble is probably 4.0. Your car is probably because every manufacturer likes to do their own spin on the SIG standard, and will vary year to year and model to model. While the team tests a looot of cars, they can't get to every car...nor every aftermarket entertainment thing.

Edit: GDR2 might bring an update that helps you, but I'm not too aware of what exactly went into the update

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The in ear ones are garbage. I bought a set, they broke a few months in. Nokia sent me a replacement set, those broke as well. Not recommended at all, build quality is crap.

Joe

Been using the Lumia 520 AT&T GoPhone for a day now and it's pretty bad ass.

I upgraded from a 3GS and while the spec increase isn't massive the difference in performance is. I'm going to chalk that up to WP8 being incredibly efficient.

Still learning the in's and out's of the OS, live tiles, and such but so far I'm liking it a lot a lot.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Been using the Lumia 520 AT&T GoPhone for a day now and it's pretty bad ass.

I upgraded from a 3GS and while the spec increase isn't massive the difference in performance is. I'm going to chalk that up to WP8 being incredibly efficient.

Still learning the in's and out's of the OS, live tiles, and such but so far I'm liking it a lot a lot.

Glad you like it. $100 is a fantastic price.

Milchjon

Dat vertical video. Dat French.

Edit: Seriously though, Rudy is beyond awesome. I mailed him once because I thought it was annoying that you need an extra tap to get to the search in Wikipedia. Well, I shouldn't have doubted his greatness, of course he answers that I can pin the search to the start screen.

I don't know of any developer that get's WP like he does.

Hi, WP-Gaf, my old Samsung GS1 is apparently coming to it's end, and I'm considering moving from Android to WP. What cheaper phone would you recommend me? I've been eyeing the Lumia 820 for a while, but is there a better alternative, because I don't really need a 920/1020?

Milchjon

Hi, WP-Gaf, my old Samsung GS1 is apparently coming to it's end, and I'm considering moving from Android to WP. What cheaper phone would you recommend me? I've been eyeing the Lumia 820 for a while, but is there a better alternative, because I don't really need a 920/1020?

They're all good. Even the 520. I'd just go to the store to check them out in person. Some seem to love the 720, some like the 620. The 820 has the advantage of 1GB RAM compared to those two, but unless you get a really a really good price, the 720 and 620 are worth a look.

It really does depend what your looking for in a phone in addition to which carriers you're looking at. When you look at the 820, its a really nice phone. It has NFC, a wireless charging back shell and takes good photos to boot.

The only difference between the 820 and the 920 would be that the 920 has Wireless charging integrated into the device and that it has a better camera performance through the OIS.

catmincer

You could also look at the HTC 8X too. HD screen, 1GB ram.

Lucius86

Banned

I would definitely consider the 620 or 720 - I've recommended the 620 to 3 of my friends and they all love it. Best thing to do is to go into the store and test them out, but unlike Android, WP works pretty damn well on low end devices too at almost the same rate of knots in everyday use.

derFeef

I would definitely consider the 620 or 720 - I've recommended the 620 to 3 of my friends and they all love it. Best thing to do is to go into the store and test them out, but unlike Android, WP works pretty damn well on low end devices too at almost the same rate of knots in everyday use.

I looked into the 620 as a transition device, the battery life seems very bad though.

Milchjon

Didn't know there were actual Samsung (phone) fans out there. I always somehow assumed they just rolled with it due to specs/screen/camera being nice. Like a Hyundai driver or something.

Mind blown.

Didn't know there were actual Samsung (phone) fans out there. I always somehow assumed they just rolled with it due to specs/screen/camera being nice. Like a Hyundai driver or something.

Mind blown.

What? Of course there are actual Samsung/Galaxy fanboys out there. And they're just as obnoxious as Apple fanboys.

NlcynQg.gif

Milchjon

What? Of course there are actual Samsung/Galaxy fanboys out there. And they're just as obnoxious as Apple fanboys.

NlcynQg.gif

I mean, subconsciously I just always assumed there was no way to love such a... thing. Looking at it rationally, of course there would be, but it never appeared to me to even think about it.

And yes, this epiphany was triggered by the benchmark thread.

I have Lumia 920 and using the original calendar, is there a way to make it show the week numbers?... cant belive its 2013 and standard things like this isnt included from the start.

maeh2k

I have Lumia 920 and using the original calendar, is there a way to make it show the week numbers?... cant belive its 2013 and standard things like this isnt included from the start.

You could try some other calendar apps such as Chronos Calendar. That one shows week numbers.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck, how did that happen? Is it only for UK or worldwide? Skydrive is best name for a cloud solution so far imo.

Infringes with British Sky Broadcasting Group, BSkyB. Doesn't say for UK only, but I would think if they change it their it will be worldwide. So stupid.

edit: confirmed to be worldwide.

Thanks to everybody that answered my question, I've got more tho:
- How durable are the 820/620/720? The GS1 was surprisingly build like a goddamn tank, I've dropped it at least 6 times, 2 of those on a brick road, and the fucking thing was still working perfectly after that.
- Exactly how well does the OS perform on the least powerful phones? Or, how often do you encounter slowdowns on WP, if ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom