• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

Thanks to everybody that answered my question, I've got more tho:
- How durable are the 820/620/720? The GS1 was surprisingly build like a goddamn tank, I've dropped it at least 6 times, 2 of those on a brick road, and the fucking thing was still working perfectly after that.
- Exactly how well does the OS perform on the least powerful phones? Or, how often do you encounter slowdowns on WP, if ever?

In general, the Lumias are all rather durable, but as with any current phone, if it lands on the floor the wrong way, you are screwed. To really protect the screen, I'd recommend a case.
For other damage, the 620 and the 820 at least have the advantage that you could replace the plastic shell. For those two models there are even special protective shells available. Here's the one for the 620: http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/03/12/new-protective-shell-for-the-nokia-lumia-620/

Also, WIndows Phone performs really well on the less powerful phones.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yo WinPho GAF, what are some good buds for my Lumia 920? Yesterday I trashed my Nokia's by accident and I'm using my old HTC's ones, which oddly enough are even more complete (volume regulation on top of pause/mic), but the sound is crappy and the design is everything but comfortable.

GVa4GSX.jpg

I'm just looking for something cheap, nice to my ear canals and decent sounding. Microphone is an absolute must. Nokia's Coloud Pop look pretty nice and they are fairly cheap, but HTC's WP8X come in white and seem much better built. Then again, they go for about twice the money (€33)

Any ideas?

Does anyone know of any multiplayer Bluetooth games? I'm always sitting with my siblings who also have windows phones and I'd love to be able to play a game with them.

I'd like to clear my mind on WP and Microsofts effort. You know, I was quite fond of Windows Phone 7 when it launched. A bit feature lacking, but running great on low end hardware. The problem with Phone 7 was that hardware in general evolved faster than Windows Phone could keep up with. Dual-Core Android phones ran smoother, (but still not as smooth as WP imo) and that's where marketting got the hold of Microsoft. It's difficult to compete with superior hardware on paper, regardless of the smoothness. Especially since high end WP7 devices were priced the same as high end Android devices, which were of better specifications. At that point, in my opinion, Microsoft should have focussed on updating WP (which they did, with WP8) and doing low cost, cheap smartphones based on WP7, like the lumia 520, in the meantime.

Windows Phone 8, or its core, should have been scalable, unified core. That way Microsoft would have focussed on one core for both tablet and phone. I still feel like Windows Phone and Windows 8 Tablet/Windows RT are distance cousins, while I feel like they should be brothers. I feel like the developement of one is drawing attention away from developement from the other. Microsoft can't afford that to be honst. They've had a golden oppertunity to strike Apple because the public opinion on Apple was slowly swaying towards "Boring iPhones, boring OS". Microsoft and Windows Phone OEM's (Nokia) are going to have a lot more trouble gaining marketshare once Apple launches their supposedly cheaper, colourful iPhones. Not only Apple though. Microsoft should have capitalised on their brilliant UI design. Now Google and Apple are running of with their ideas and I can already imagine people will call Windows Phone a ripoff of iOS7.

I hope this doesn't come across as a jab at Windows Phone, I quite like the OS (don't have a WP yet though), I'm actually quite disappointed that Microsoft wasn't able to strike while the opponent was weaker and apparantly they will strike once the oppenent has regained strength and will probably gain strength. That's just not the way thing should have gone seeing as they're fighting as very steep uphil battle.

hwalker84

I'd like to clear my mind on WP and Microsofts effort. You know, I was quite fond of Windows Phone 7 when it launched. A bit feature lacking, but running great on low end hardware. The problem with Phone 7 was that hardware in general evolved faster than Windows Phone could keep up with. Dual-Core Android phones ran smoother, (but still not as smooth as WP imo) and that's where marketting got the hold of Microsoft. It's difficult to compete with superior hardware on paper, regardless of the smoothness. Especially since high end WP7 devices were priced the same as high end Android devices, which were of better specifications. At that point, in my opinion, Microsoft should have focussed on updating WP (which they did, with WP8) and doing low cost, cheap smartphones based on WP7, like the lumia 520, in the meantime.

Windows Phone 8, or its core, should have been scalable, unified core. That way Microsoft would have focussed on one core for both tablet and phone. I still feel like Windows Phone and Windows 8 Tablet/Windows RT are distance cousins, while I feel like they should be brothers. I feel like the developement of one is drawing attention away from developement from the other. Microsoft can't afford that to be honst. They've had a golden oppertunity to strike Apple because the public opinion on Apple was slowly swaying towards "Boring iPhones, boring OS". Microsoft and Windows Phone OEM's (Nokia) are going to have a lot more trouble gaining marketshare once Apple launches their supposedly cheaper, colourful iPhones. Not only Apple though. Microsoft should have capitalised on their brilliant UI design. Now Google and Apple are running of with their ideas and I can already imagine people will call Windows Phone a ripoff of iOS7.

I hope this doesn't come across as a jab at Windows Phone, I quite like the OS (don't have a WP yet though), I'm actually quite disappointed that Microsoft wasn't able to strike while the opponent was weaker and apparantly they will strike once the oppenent has regained strength and will probably gain strength. That's just not the way thing should have gone seeing as they're fighting as very steep uphil battle.

I agree wholeheartedly. The budget iPhone is going to sell like fucking mad.

MCD

I agree wholeheartedly. The budget iPhone is going to sell like fucking mad.

I dunno, I thought people were abandoning iPhones because the screen is tiny/look outdated compared to Android/Galaxy.

If you want a budget iPhone then why not get an older model or something.

hwalker84

I dunno, I thought people were abandoning iPhones because the screen is tiny/look outdated compared to Android/Galaxy.

Please.. Apple will hit with their marketing muscle and make color the in thing. All the features Apple copied from competitors Apple will convince the public they created it.

Because older models don't come in different colors. iOS7 looks pretty good but it looks somewhat off combined with those stylish iPhones. iOS7 would look great with the (supposed) leaked colored iPhones. Point is, it'll do Apple good. The threat they responed to with the OS redesign and shell redesign is not Android in my opinion, because Android hardware isn't colourful and the OS isn't designed that way either. Apple acknowledges the awesomeness of the colorful Lumia range with a great OS design, and that's inspired by Nokia and Windows Phone.

One thing I'd like to point out, The Xperia Tablet Z has almost exactly the same internals as the Xperia Z (phone). Same processor, memory and even screen resolution. I think everyone would want an Asus Padfone style concept for Windows Phone/ Windows RT in which one could plug in their phone in an external screen that houses an external battery and basically go tablet mode. Microsoft announced that Windows Phone 8 now shares some sort of Windows core. What have we seen so far that takes advantage of that? I least I would expect not to have to rebuy an app I bought on Windows Phone on Windows RT (I'm looking at you Halo: Spartan Assault!). They also have to work toward some sort of unified UI, but different enough to distinguish phone from tablet. Honestly, I don't find the interfaces of W8/RT and Phone 8 to be that similar at all. I think that if there would have been some sort of Windows PhonePad today, switching from Phone to Tablet UI would break immersion. Not as much as going from Metro to Desktop, but enough to note that Phone 8 and Modern Windows 8 UI are relatives, but not close relatives, like they should be imo.

And one last thing, I think it would do the homescreen of Windows Phone 8 great justice if they would allow changeable backgrounds. Both preloaded like the minimalistic Windows 8/RT backgrounds or custom backgrounds. I know live tiles fill up the screen, but when you go to the homescreen by pressing on the home button, the tiles "gradually" fill up the home screen and for a brief moment you can see the background. I've closed my eyes and imagined it, and it would great with some abstract Windows 8 style backgrounds, lol. In any case, it would be a little different from looking at a black or white background constantly. The backgrounds could even be dynamic in the way that Windows 8.1 backgrounds move minimally when you swipe from left to right. It could work in Phone 8 because in the homescreen you rely on swiping from top to bottom.

On the subject of notifications, I'd like things to stay the same visually, but be different. Right now, the homescreen displays a number notification, and when you press on a tile it'll take you to an app. My idea for notifications is that for example, you have 4 unreal whatsapp messages, when you press the whatsapp tile, it'll unfold a list that shows a part of the messages and contact. That way, you stay in the homescreen yet you'll be able to view notifications. So tap tile -> unfolds notifications -> tap unfolded list takes you to app.

Please.. Apple will hit with their marketing muscle and make color the in thing. All the features Apple copied from competitors Apple will convince the public they created it.

And the public will beleive it. And I dont blame them, because it's probably the first time they'll hear of the features. And that is a jab at Microsoft.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What is the best deal on the 1020 right now? Is it the MS store with the free camera grip? Too bad they don't ship where I live. Amazon has it at $30 off, but I'd love it if they knocked the price down another $20-50 and/or added the grip or wireless charging shell for free.

I want the phone, but anything over $199 needs to come with some accessories or I'm not buying.

Microsoft and Google are buddies again.

The company had originally planned to drop support for the Exchange ActiveSync protocol on January 30th, but it extended the cut off date until July 31st to allow Microsoft to build CardDAV and CalDAV support into Windows Phone 8. “We’ve reached an agreement with Google to extend support for new Windows Phone connections to the Google Sync service through December 31, 2013," says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge.

Joe

Is there a way to disable apps access to my contacts?

I'm using Instance and going to "find friends" it shows a few people from my contacts list and I'd really like to disable this.

Essentially, I don't want anyone to find me on Instagram just because they have my phone number....

PG2G

Is there a way to disable apps access to my contacts?

I'm using Instance and going to "find friends" it shows a few people from my contacts list and I'd really like to disable this.

Essentially, I don't want anyone to find me on Instagram just because they have my phone number....

You could just look on the instagram website and remove your phone # from your profile if its there

Do you think there will be a Samsung ATIV S II? I really want a Galaxy S 4 running WP8. Think that might be close or be it?

What part of the Galaxy S 4 are you interested in? If its the unique software features then I doubt you'll see many of those end up on Samsung's next WP phone.

Milchjon

The Verge gets an awful lot of exclusive Google stories, it seems. MS should look into that, maybe it would help.

(Although I do remember a few older stories about the MS research facilities.)

Edit: Haha, just saw the pricing. What are they thinking.

Edit Edit: The Verge isn't even trying anymore. They say the iPhone has a 10 MP camera in their comparison article.

maeh2k

The Verge gets an awful lot of exclusive Google stories, it seems. MS should look into that, maybe it would help.

(Although I do remember a few older stories about the MS research facilities.)

Edit: Haha, just saw the pricing. What are they thinking.

Dual-core 720p flagship in 2013. Looks like Motorola is also really being held back by Microsoft.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Just got my Lumia 520, and I'm loving it!

The only problem is that when I try to connect it to my PC, Windows doesn't recognize it.
"MTP device - Driver not found", and it doesn't show up as a mass storage or anything, so I can't transfer music.
Maybe I have to install something before?

I tried with my mom Android phone, btw, and I get the same error, can't find the drivers for the MTP device.

Oh and, I went on the Spotify app page, and they reading some reviews they say that it's behind a paywall? Can't I use the free listening time?

kharma45

Just got my Lumia 520, and I'm loving it!

The only problem is that when I try to connect it to my PC, Windows doesn't recognize it.
"MTP device - Driver not found", and it doesn't show up as a mass storage or anything, so I can't transfer music.
Maybe I have to install something before?

I tried with my mom Android phone, btw, and I get the same error, can't find the drivers for the MTP device.

Oh and, I went on the Spotify app page, and they reading some reviews they say that it's behind a paywall? Can't I use the free listening time?

You have to pay for mobila spotify. If you want free music Nokia Music might be of interest.

maeh2k

I don't think Spotify works without a subscription on phones. Maybe check out Nokia Music. It's not the same, but maybe it's enough for you.

Joe

You could just look on the instagram website and remove your phone # from your profile if its there

thanks, tried it but its not on there.

I really liked how on ios you could tell an app whether or not it was allowed to access your contacts. WP seems to be really lacking in privacy options.

ElNino

thanks, tried it but its not on there.

I really liked how on ios you could tell an app whether or not it was allowed to access your contacts. WP seems to be really lacking in privacy options.
Even if you could do that on your phone, how would that stop someone from finding you on Instagram based on the contact info they have on their phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom