• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to watch Twitch on my WP 8? All I can find is a paid app which kinda works but not quite smoothly. Twitch themselves have said they cant be bothered to work on the WP until they sort out the iOS/Android versions. So does that mean WP 8 owners are just shit out of luck?

Milchjon

Oh, well... Doesn't make much sense IMHO.

I checked out Nokia Music, but maybe only some artists are free?

Well, that's how Spotify (and most of its rivals) work on phones.

Nokia Music is free if you can live with automatically generated playlists with limited personalization, and a limited amount of skips per hour. It's more like a personalized radio in that regard. Still nice though.

Haven't really checked Nokia Music+.

PG2G

thanks, tried it but its not on there.

I really liked how on ios you could tell an app whether or not it was allowed to access your contacts. WP seems to be really lacking in privacy options.

If your phone number isn't on there then how would anyone look you up by phone number?

I'd imagine it works like this

1. People create an account and (optionally) supply their phone number
2. App reads your contacts and searches for people in Instagram with matching numbers
3. App lets you add those people

So if you did not supply your phone number, people won't be able to find you by your phone number.

Windows Phone should warn you that an app needs to use your contacts when you attempt to install it

this_guy

Wonder if Facebook notifications will ever work (for me anyways)?

Yeah this is the most annoying thing for me. Sometimes I'll get Facebook notifications that are 12 hours late. Also FB chat is unreliable as once I start a chat, I won't get messages from the other party in a timely manner. Having FB chat built in is not an advantage if it doesn't work properly.

frontieruk

This is correct. Your first ban as a Member is what actually finalizes your Member status on GAF.
I remember a time when surviving 3 bans without a permaban finalised your member status... those were the days, trolling was an art form back then not the lameness we get now :(

This is in the store details. 'Requires: blah blah blah'. My team handles defining what is default access, and what requires specific opt-in.

could you guys sort out something like the latest android where you can control permissions per app please... ;)

Milchjon

I realized that I have a guilty pleasure:

"Hey everybody, Daniel Rubino here at Windows Phone Central..."

That sonorous voice makes every app and phone (p)review a joy to listen to.

kharma45

It's weird, because the Twitter notifications work perfectly.

Yep they're fucking rock solid with the official app.

Oh, well... Doesn't make much sense IMHO.

I checked out Nokia Music, but maybe only some artists are free?

It's their main way to make money, plenty of sense in it.

Nokia Music is totally free but you're limited on what you can do with it as Milchjon said unless you pay.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm quite confused by the moto x. Though I wish MS would sell unlocked Nokia phones at their site as a Nexus type device that got all updates without carrier interference and was $299 with decent specs.

A Lumia $920 could retail for $299 unlocked and with guaranteed updates through the MS store and I think it would do really well. It was $450 off contract last November, I don't see why they can't make it happen. Maybe even a 16gb version for $249.

I'm quite confused by the moto x. Though I wish MS would sell unlocked Nokia phones at their site as a Nexus type device that got all updates without carrier interference and was $299 with decent specs.

A Lumia $920 could retail for $299 unlocked and with guaranteed updates through the MS store and I think it would do really well. It was $450 off contract last November, I don't see why they can't make it happen. Maybe even a 16gb version for $249.

a 8gb 920 with a microSD card priced at $200 would be a sweet ass phone. 920 is a highly capable phone, i just downloaded the OneShot app and it's clearly the best camera app to date. makes manual controls and livesight filters very easy.

Anybody get an issue with Twitter account linking? I got a notification that it had been unlinked. I linked it again and now it won't show contacts in my account even though I have it selected to.

I was legitimately shocked when I read about the Moto-X today. Weird move for 200$ on contract. Was considering buying one until I saw that.

I remember a time when surviving 3 bans without a permaban finalised your member status... those were the days, trolling was an art form back then not the lameness we get now :(

The mods are super mean now, they ban at the drop of a hat. The punishment for literally everything is ban these days.

I got to try the 1020 today at AT&T, love it, choosing it over 925 this September (Apparently my contract expires in September, not July like I thought :( ) The camera on that phone is so amazing, I'm going to love it, definitely getting the black color, I don't like how the camera looks and clashes with Yellow, and white looks cheap for some reason. Black is fantastic.

I wish AT&T wasn't so expensive. :( $120 a month for the phone, single line, unlimited text with 400 minutes (minimum allowed), and 3GB of data. My wallet is going to hurt.

I wish AT&T wasn't so expensive. :( $120 a month for the phone, single line, unlimited text with 400 minutes (minimum allowed), and 3GB of data. My wallet is going to hurt.

If I was in the AT&T store and that's the price the guy quoted me for one line of service and such a low data cap, I would laugh heartily in his face, turn around, and walk out. That's highway robbery.

If only I could use it as a notification sound in WP ;)

The comments are hilarious.

realemotionx
• 2 years ago

Sadly enough we cant use this as a Alert Ring tone in Windows Phone. Tsktsktsk

realemotionx
• 2 years ago

neither can we iphone user set it as a message tone , so its useless by now -_-

Kyle Spooner ⭐沛霖⭐㊗
• 2 years ago

NOT ANYMORE!!!!!!!

iOS 5 is GOD NOW!!!!

(is it sad we get excited for sometihng that should have been there in the beginning?)

That was two years ago.

If I was in the AT&T store and that's the price the guy quoted me for one line of service and such a low data cap, I would laugh heartily in his face, turn around, and walk out. That's highway robbery.

Apparently I AM eligible for a discount, because I'm a student, but I don't know how much that discount is, I'm going to check next time I have some time to spare. Is it bad to expect or want $80 a month? I don't want to blow half my weekly paycheck on the current price of service, seriously $120 is just... ack.

I still remember when I paid $30/mo on SERO with my HTC Titan (WinMo) handset and how bad I felt when I was upgrading to an Epic 4G and my bill was going up to $50/mo. $120 and on a cap so low I could easily do 10x that on Sprint 3G? LOL

NeOak

AT&T: 85/month for 450 mins, 1000 texts (can't get it anymore) and Unlimited data.

It has my old student discount, but that only made it go down from 90 to 85.

Only reasons I keep it are because its a 12 years old account and the unlimited data.

Looks like Nokia isn't the only OEM who's not happy about the WP development pace.

Samsung released a folder app for their ATIV S. It allows users to create folders on their home screen.

hNlJi3t.png
szWYVnt.png
Q8VtVej.png

It's not pretty, but there you have it guys, folders on your home screen, brought to you by Samsung. And you guys thought only Nokia could release exclusive apps that are worth a damn.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=1a248adb-1429-45ea-a507-f3d5f4cad58c

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I do not know if I want that. But I think I might...

I would rather have the functionality to create a section on the home screen.

Sort of like:

TTT
TTT
TTT
- Heading -
TTT
- Heading -
TT
TTT

Although this would still look ugly maybe. Sorry for the crap demonstration hah.

Yay, my app is now published!

Now to see how it performs, and try out the DevCenter app.

Congrats!

I really like the app idea and the icon.

Little tip, giving the latest spying shenanigans: You should look into turning down the app requirements.

phone identity
owner identity
photo, music, and video libraries

data services
movement and directional sensor
HD720P (720x1280)
WVGA (480x800)
WXGA (768x1280)
location services
media playback

That seems like an awful lot for a tax calculator and could make people suspicious.

Lucius86

Banned
Congrats!

I really like the app idea and the icon.

Little tip, giving the latest spying shenanigans: You should look into turning down the app requirements.

phone identity
owner identity
photo, music, and video libraries

data services
movement and directional sensor
HD720P (720x1280)
WVGA (480x800)
WXGA (768x1280)
location services
media playback

That seems like an awful lot for a tax calculator and could make people suspicious.

Yeah, I don't like that either - but apparently they are needed for ads which is very annoying. I did my best to get around that. I did put a disclaimer in the About section regarding this and on my web site, but I think I may just turn them off entirely in the future.

ElNino

AT&T: 85/month for 450 mins, 1000 texts (can't get it anymore) and Unlimited data.

It has my old student discount, but that only made it go down from 90 to 85.

Only reasons I keep it are because its a 12 years old account and the unlimited data.
Does AT&T still charge extra for tethering as well?

As much hate we get for our cell plans here in Canada due to 3 year contracts (which you can get around), our rates aren't too bad I guess. Mine is $50/month for 300 mins, unlimited text and 6GB data, which also includes tethering.

The Bing app got updated (in the US, lol).

Previously, Windows Phone 8's search results showed four pivots to swipe between: Web, Local, Media, and Shopping. Tonight, most of that has been changed and the number of pivots has been chopped down to three: Web, Images, and Video.

Each of these pivots has seen their own redesigns, likely in an effort to make searching a little less convoluted than before. The Web pivot in particular is now extremely context-heavy based on our experience. If you look up 'Starbucks' for example, the Web pivot now shows a snippet of locations at the top which you can expand upon by tapping on 'more business listings'. If you try looking up a product like the game Batman: Arkham City, a link to the product card is now intertwined with the web results. The same rule applies if you look up a myriad of other items like a sports team or a celebrity. The News section of the web results has also been altered slightly, now showing image thumbnails for each article.

As you may have noticed, the old 'Media' tab has been split up in favor of separate pivots for Images and Videos. The former now features much larger image previews (instead of the 4x4 grid you had to practically squint at), while the latter arranges video links in a two-column format. Also, Bing's cards of information have been redesigned as well, pooling in information from more sources and recommending related items.

http://www.windowsphonedaily.com/2013/08/bing-search-results-in-windows-phone-8-redesign.html

Lucius86

Banned
Nice Lucius.

Ta! Already had a few people give me some solid critical feedback which is good, so it will get updated as time goes on - definitely not just 'leaving it'.

I still can't 'find' my app in the store, which is rubbish - only through the link provided. It said it could take a few hours, but it has been almost 24 hours now...

STOP THIS - it only hurts the ecosystem :(

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Don't have the Bing update yet, but looking at that info...i don't want it. I love the local tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom