• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackattk

How is the Nokia 521? I currently have a nexus 4, and have always been interested in trying out the windows phone, but don't really want to jump ship and regret it if I don't like it. $130 isn't bad at all for an unsubsidized device.

The 1020 is what I really want, but it is hard to justify an extra $600 for it.

f0lken

Looking at the last Rudy Huyn video for 6tagram, his good taste on design is aparent, but also made me think how good looking is the metro language when the slap a little bit of textures here and there.

tumblr_inline_mnvn16OkIP1qz4rgp.jpg

Windows-Phone-8-Gets-6Sec-Unofficial-Vine-Client.jpg

As opposed to:

whatsapp-windows-8.jpg

NeOak

How is the Nokia 521? I currently have a nexus 4, and have always been interested in trying out the windows phone, but don't really want to jump ship and regret it if I don't like it. $130 isn't bad at all for an unsubsidized device.

The 1020 is what I really want, but it is hard to justify an extra $600 for it.

If you have AT&T, you can get the 520 for 100 bucks.

mackattk

If you have AT&T, you can get the 520 for 100 bucks.

Have T-Mobile currently, and not in a LTE area, only HSPA. The 521 would probably be my best bet. Not sure if 520 supports HSPA bands and would have to try to get it unlocked through AT&T.

AT&T: 85/month for 450 mins, 1000 texts (can't get it anymore) and Unlimited data.

It has my old student discount, but that only made it go down from 90 to 85.

Only reasons I keep it are because its a 12 years old account and the unlimited data.

I thought AT&T has been forcing people off unlimited data onto tiered plans? How are you able to keep yours?

Should be Samsung's official slogan.

Functional is better than the vast majority of phones out there. Which is probably why Samsung devices sell so overwhelmingly out of proportion with other manufacturers' devices.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Bing changes will be going global apparently, thank god. Wonder if that means local scout for other countries (probably not).

NeOak

Have T-Mobile currently, and not in a LTE area, only HSPA. The 521 would probably be my best bet. Not sure if 520 supports HSPA bands and would have to try to get it unlocked through AT&T.

Oh, yeah. Go for the 521 then.

I thought AT&T has been forcing people off unlimited data onto tiered plans? How are you able to keep yours?

Beaten:

That's Verizon thats forcing people off. AT&T will allow you to stay grandfathered but you cannot get tethering.

Came back from AT&T again. These are my options apparently:

A) 400 minutes, Unlimited Texting, 3GBs of Data, for $90. Plus a $30 Activation fee on my first bill, and $299 up front for the 1020 with a 2 year contract. $90 a month after the first month being $120 and paying $299.

B) 400 minutes, Unlimited Texting, 3GBs of Data, and pay $33 a month for AT&T next (Can upgrade and change phones next year for free, don't need to pay off the phone or pay an activation fee), $120 a month.

Apparently I get no discount either, only faculty and staff get discounts, even though the website said I WAS eligible for discounts because my student email is approved.

I wish AT&T gave more options. Seriously data goes from 300 MB (lol... seriously) as minimum for $20, 3GBs for $30, and 5GBs for $40. Texting is either pay as you go or $20 for Unlimited, and minutes are minimum of 400 for $40. :/

If only Sprint didn't have such a terrible selection of Windows Phone, I could stay on my parents plan and stay with them paying for my phone service... ack.

Also, AT&T hard balling me now.

jPKyh8XHAzMR1.png

kharma45

Those prices are fucking crazy :|

I'm on a semi-pay monthly deal thing and I pay £10 (so $15 or so) for unlimited texts, 500 minutes of calls and 1GB of data. For £2 extra I can go unlimited with the data.

So yeah, when I bought a 928...a salesperson convinced me to buy it and add a new-line to my contract instead of buying outright. I was like 'no wai dood, I aint getting shived for 5000$'. He then proceeded to tell me to switch my line to a feature phone line after the first month..and the 'data plan' would drop off so that my end bill for my new line would be 10$ a month.

So after having him promise me that I would not have to pay data plan every month...I actually debated his offer.

500$ for flat outright purchase...

or

100$ + 10$*24 + probably 30$ for first month = 370$ and a new phoneline, not bad I say!

Then he handed me off to some other lady who had no clue what she was doing to activate my new phone, and she didn't activate the sim. Now, most people are going to go, 'uh oh, this kid over here is boned into a 70$ a month plan now...looool'.

But no! I haven't had a single charge to my Verizon account at all for this. So basically I ended up getting a new 928 for 100$ flat (plus tax). Cool story? I think so. Turned out swell thus far.

NeOak

Yeah, AT&T and Verizon are expensive as fuck.

If I want unlimited everything, I would need to pay like 10 more per month due to my phone number being from Puerto Rico (65/mo for unlimited call and text lol)

No need at the moment though, I have like 5000 rollover mins.

OneShot is really producing some great shots for me. Kinda laggy with some options but it almost completely got rid of my itch for Nokia's Pro Camera app.

f0lken

Did anyone get into the 6stagram Beta? Sounds like something went terribly wrong with everyone accessing the same account :-D

I did, we all were in Rudy's account but it seems it was on purpose to test the locating services. It works now as it should...

Edit: I talked too early

mackattk

Came back from AT&T again. These are my options apparently:

A) 400 minutes, Unlimited Texting, 3GBs of Data, for $90. Plus a $30 Activation fee on my first bill, and $299 up front for the 1020 with a 2 year contract. $90 a month after the first month being $120 and paying $299.

B) 400 minutes, Unlimited Texting, 3GBs of Data, and pay $33 a month for AT&T next (Can upgrade and change phones next year for free, don't need to pay off the phone or pay an activation fee), $120 a month.

Apparently I get no discount either, only faculty and staff get discounts, even though the website said I WAS eligible for discounts because my student email is approved.

I wish AT&T gave more options. Seriously data goes from 300 MB (lol... seriously) as minimum for $20, 3GBs for $30, and 5GBs for $40. Texting is either pay as you go or $20 for Unlimited, and minutes are minimum of 400 for $40. :/

Can you get away without paying for texting? Either by porting your number over to google voice, and let google voice handle the texting, or using a texting app that uses your data plan? $20 a month for texting is ridiculous.

I am not too sold on AT&T Next, you would be paying a subsidized price for a cell phone plan without getting the cell phone subsidized.

Can you get away without paying for texting? Either by porting your number over to google voice, and let google voice handle the texting, or using a texting app that uses your data plan? $20 a month for texting is ridiculous.

I am not too sold on AT&T Next, you would be paying a subsidized price for a cell phone plan without getting the cell phone subsidized.
You know what the BS part is? I can't. Litterally told by the guy in store "Unlimited texting is bulked in to every plan, because everyone texts now a day." I assumed at the time this meant it was free, it wasn't. Order Online and you have to either select "Unlimited Texting" or "Unlimited Texting and Mobile to Mobile calling", both are $20. You HAVE to pick one. :/

I'm really salty about how expensive this is going to be. I'm just paying the $299 and $30 activation fee and getting the $90 plan.

EDIT: Actually... you don't have to pay for Unlimited Texting, you can just instead just "pay as you go" for texts... I'll probably do that then to shave off $20, and use Google Voice for texting.

They're really great. Was there a Nokia app similar to this that supposedly released at the same time as the 1020?

The app is called Nokia ProCam (I think) and needs the Windows Phone 8 GDR2 update and Nokia's own firmware update, called "Amber". It won't work without it. Nokia was supposed to release it at the end of July, but it's coming in about 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom