• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
That happened on a Thursday night/Friday morning after a Postal Service concert.

Though I do have a 12 year bottle of scotch in my office and a keg around the corner from me. Those are typically held until a late night of working, though, or in celebration of the end of a long coding period (months).

On the plus side, my intern left so I can no longer corrupt him. There's an emptiness in my office.

Milchjon

That happened on a Thursday night/Friday morning after a Postal Service concert.

Though I do have a 12 year bottle of scotch in my office and a keg around the corner from me. Those are typically held until a late night of working, though, or in celebration of the end of a long coding period (months).

On the plus side, my intern left so I can no longer corrupt him. There's an emptiness in my office.

Can I be your intern?

Milchjon

only if you like using WinDBG to debug Kernel code

i-know-some-of-these-words_20120529130516.jpg

I'll ask again a few years down the road ;-)

Troll

Banned

Intern? So that's how you had the free time to put into your app. Now it makes sense!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Are you frickin kidding me? They still haven't fixed that spinning gears error when you reset the phone? Did I just brick the phone I'm supposed to mail out tomorrow morning to the eBay auction winner?

Guys, I need help!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That is hilarious, but I want to cry. This is going to cost me money if I can't get it fixed, given that the seller already paid and is expecting shipment.

hwalker84

That is hilarious, but I want to cry. This is going to cost me money if I can't get it fixed, given that the seller already paid and is expecting shipment.

I felt that way when I sold a unlocked jailbroken iPhone on eBay and had major issues when I wiped it. The guy had paid and everything and it took me hours upon hours to get it working again.

How long did you leave the gears spinning? My Mother's 520 took about 10-15 minutes, before it did anything during the first boot.

toff74

Are you frickin kidding me? They still haven't fixed that spinning gears error when you reset the phone? Did I just brick the phone I'm supposed to mail out tomorrow morning to the eBay auction winner?

Guys, I need help!

I wish i could give you some good news... I hard reset mine on a Friday afternoon only to be greeted with the spinning gears. I was told it could be reflashed at the Nokia Care store, but it was tool late for me to get there and i couldnt get there on Saturday AND it was closed on Sunday. Late Sunday night, around 11 it came back to life.. Just over 48hrs of spinning gears.

It really does need to be fixed in future versions.

toff74

I got it in the Red Stripe Sale a few months back.. I thought it was really good but decided to go back to Endomondo sports tracker because of the community features other sports you could use it for.

Definitely gonna give it another go.. just in time for my summer fitness push too :)

Just had a look and whilst i like the interface, the music integration and the idea of training aids, i dont like the idea of paying £12 odd for them.

PG2G

Have you tried anything? Seems like people on Nokia forums recommend letting the battery die out

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How long did you leave the gears spinning? My Mother's 520 took about 10-15 minutes, before it did anything during the first boot.

A few hours. Then I tried some of the stuff online, then I let it spin until it ran out of battery. Turned it on this morning, tried a few more reset combinations, still spinning. I'm going to leave it spinning the rest of today I guess, unless someone suggests something else I can try.

This sucks, it was a problem from day one and there were updates that were supposed to fix this.

PG2G

Is it still possible to flash it? The files are still out there, WPC just had a post yesterday about them being available on Nokia's server

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not sure if I can flash it when its in the spinning gears state, but I suppose I can see if I find the files and give that a try.

toff74

Not sure if I can flash it when its in the spinning gears state, but I suppose I can see if I find the files and give that a try.

You can as you can still reset the phone with the spinning hears... I dont know the buttons to press off the top of my head (power and down volume?), but if you can get it to charge a little it's definitely doable. I tried all these things but just decided to leave it as i wasnt in that much of a rush.

Fingers crossed for you. Its a complete pain.

same thing happened to me when I sold my 920 for the 925, when i downloaded nokia suite it let me download the files which was about 1.2 gbs. I was able to flash it then and it came back to life. I had let it run and tried just about everything before flashing it

Heretic

Try:

Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8

Step 1
Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if succeed an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.

(To cancel OS reset and exit to the normal mode, press the Volume Down + Power Key and hold them for 15 seconds).

Step 2
Then input Keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down

Step 3
The phone will reset and boot up automatically. Please note that this may take several minutes.

or:

The Fix

1. Plug the phone into your PC
2. Hold the Volume Down and the Power button, click RETRY on the Product Support Tools Window
3. After you feel a vibration in the phone immediately release the Volume Down and the Power button and hold the Volume up button.
4. Continue to hold the volume up button, you will see the software say "Rebooting"
5. After about 15 seconds you will see a top NOKIA logo and the software will start flashing the phone.

or:

1- Wait till phone battery completely dies

2- Remove Sim

3- Put phone on wall charger

4-Let charger charge the phone and turn itself on automatically (do not power it on Manually)

or this. This looks like the method I used to unbrick mine

Fix for Nokia Lumia 920 “Brick” During Factory Reset <<< Clicky!

Samus4145

Silly question, but how in the world do I remove music from my Xbox Music collection on the phone? I got a 30-day pass and have a bunch of albums I want to remove, but there isn't a single delete option anywhere (Lumia 928 if it matters).

Talking to Xbox support, they don't seem to understand that delete is not there.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Silly question, but how in the world do I remove music from my Xbox Music collection on the phone? I got a 30-day pass and have a bunch of albums I want to remove, but there isn't a single delete option anywhere (Lumia 928 if it matters).

Talking to Xbox support, they don't seem to understand that delete is not there.

Go the albums or songs list, hit the select button at the bottom left and select what you want to delete. Also make sure cloud collection is turned off in the settings.

Samus4145

Go the albums or songs list, hit the select button at the bottom left and select what you want to delete. Also make sure cloud collection is turned off in the settings.

That worked. Wow, that's really awful. Why can't I simply press on the album/song and have a delete option show up.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That worked. Wow, that's really awful. Why can't I simply press on the album/song and have a delete option show up.

One of the worlds great mysteries. It may be fixed with the GDR2 update??

Also ATT people check your 920's for updates.

edit: saw Tom Warren tweet about getting an update, maybe for his UK phone.

Lucius86

Banned
Just checked my Lumia 920 (EE - UK) - no updates as of yet.

Is it normal for app developers wanting to update their apps all the time? Now mine's released, all I want to do in my spare time is implement new features. It's a shame I have my MCSA qualification to do first :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Try:

or:

or:

or this. This looks like the method I used to unbrick mine

Fix for Nokia Lumia 920 “Brick” During Factory Reset <<< Clicky!

I really appreciate the suggestions. None of them worked, although I did get a lightning bolt gear screen, so I think I can flash it. I actually recovered my phone from a similar error last year, but it looks like Nokia shut off access. The latest set of instructions for the amber update link to a Dutch site so I can't understand where to get the ROM.

Razdek

Banned
I'm getting pretty bad battery life on the Lumia 520 and over night it's losing between 20%-30% just being idle. I don't even have a Sim card in the phone and it's only connected to the Wi-Fi. Anyone with a 520 experiencing the same issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom