• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Screw you guys!

Follow saulphd on instagram, all I do is post pics from my 1020. Too bad instagtam is pretty weak as a photography platform, but eh, that's where the people are I guess.

Milchjon

Screw you guys!

Follow saulphd on instagram, all I do is post pics from my 1020. Too bad instagtam is pretty weak as a photography platform, but eh, that's where the people are I guess.

Weird, @vanmardigan's name seems to be Saul. You sure you didn't just forget you made that account? :-D

Anyway, followed. Also followed Schuey.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It is mine, instance screwed up the account creation at first. And by the time I figured it out, I had created the saulphd account and linked it to twitter and Facebook, so that's what all my friends have me as. Didn't want to spoil the joke, though, it was pretty perfect.

f0lken

Follow me :3 @flaurehn

I just took this today from a photoshoot with the smart cam on the Lumia 920 (nevermind the flashes and shoes)

c3748b8002ca11e3ae2622000a1fb7e1_7.jpg

Dramos

Alright WP-GAF, my first cellphone is actually the first WP cellphone which landed in Canada (LG Optimus 7). I absolutely love the platform. Simple, fast, elegant in its own style and makes me feel special among all Androids and iPhones out there. I'm about to finish my contract in a few months and I was wondering which WP should I get. I'm willing to get myself an high end device, one from Nokia preferably. Nokia knows how to push the limits of the WP. Unfortunately, here in Quebec there is only the 920 with Rogers. By the time I reach the end of the contract should I opt for a 920 or wait for the possible release of 1020. Even better should a wait for a native WP8.1 or Blue version phone. (1080p, on par processor, etc)?

Troll

Banned
Alright WP-GAF, my first cellphone is actually the first WP cellphone which landed in Canada (LG Optimus 7). I absolutely love the platform. Simple, fast, elegant in its own style and makes me feel special among all Androids and iPhones out there. I'm about to finish my contract in a few months and I was wondering which WP should I get. I'm willing to get myself an high end device, one from Nokia preferably. Nokia knows how to push the limits of the WP. Unfortunately, here in Quebec there is only the 920 with Rogers. By the time I reach the end of the contract should I opt for a 920 or wait for the possible release of 1020. Even better should a wait for a native WP8.1 or Blue version phone. (1080p, on par processor, etc)?

If your phone is in good shape just give it a couple months to see what else rolls in then decide. Right now it's right in the sweet spot where new phones are right around the corner and the 920 is sort of old news. Still a solid phone, by all means but if you can wait there should be something fresh for you pretty quick.

hwalker84

I'd wait at this point. You may see some 1080p phones in Canada by December.

flippedb

Banned
I finally got a WP8 device. It's a cheap Lumia 620, but it does impress. Aside from the camera, it really has nothing to feel ashamed when compared to higher-end devices, not to mention devices on the same price bracket, the 620 eats those easily.

While the screen resolution is not amazing, it feels perfect on this screen size. And talking about the screens, color reproduction is pretty darn good, at least to my eye.

All I really want now, is 6tagram. Hurry up Huyn!

NeOak

You could upgrade, then sell the phone and buy an unlocked Nokia.

Jaxter09

Does anyone else here have 6+gb of phone storage being taken up by "other?" apparently this is pretty common with Lumias; and I haven't found a working solution so far. Pretty ridiculous.

Razdek

Banned

I'd wait it out and skip both the 920 and 1020. New ones should be out this fall with GDR 3 features. But then again this is Windows Phone so who knows what schedule they're on.

hwalker84

Does anyone else here have 6+gb of phone storage being taken up by "other?" apparently this is pretty common with Lumias; and I haven't found a working solution so far. Pretty ridiculous.

Other needs to go. By that I mean it needs to be completely detailed as to wtf is inside it.

Razdek

Banned

You think that's bad? Try having 1.2 GB taken up on an 8 GB when you only get about 4.5 GB to begin with. Why the hell this isn't fixed by now is unforgivable. Joe says it's fixed in GDR 2 but I read it wasn't. What this tells me is it's a bad OS design.

You think that's bad? Try having 1.2 GB taken up on an 8 GB when you only get about 4.5 GB to begin with. Why the hell this isn't fixed by now is unforgivable. Joe says it's fixed in GDR 2 but I read it wasn't. What this tells me is it's a bad OS design.
You can clear the Other space on Nokia Phones. Just open storage check.

Dramos

You could upgrade, then sell the phone and buy an unlocked Nokia.

I was thinking of getting a 520 just for the sake of getting my hands on WP8 because I'm still stuck on 7.8. By the time a new phone comes out, I'll trade in. Buying an unlocked is so expensive here :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking of getting a 520 just for the sake of getting my hands on WP8 because I'm still stuck on 7.8. By the time a new phone comes out, I'll trade in. Buying an unlocked is so expensive here :(

Not sure how much you want to spend, but you can get the 925 unlocked from this place in Edmonton for $575

venne

So, it might help if Microsoft could convey the differences between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. Here's a screen cap from a recent survey about the 1020 from AT&T.

I said all of these were 'very difficult' on the 1020 since 'impossible' wasn't an available option. SMH

EkDJiNo.jpg

Samus4145

Screw you guys!

I'll follow you. First time using instagram, well Rudy's version.

Find me at Samus4145.

So, it might help if Microsoft could convey the differences between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. Here's a screen cap from a recent survey about the 1020 from AT&T.

I said all of these were 'very difficult' on the 1020 since 'impossible' wasn't an available option. SMH

EkDJiNo.jpg

Isn't that AT&T's survey?

Too bad instagtam is pretty weak as a photography platform, but eh, that's where the people are I guess.

What the hell are you talking about? David Pierce from the Verge specifically downgraded the WP ecosystem in the 1020 review from 6 back to 5, because it doesn't have Instagram and is therefore a weak photography platform.

KageMaru

Looking on Verizon's site today and it looks like the 928 is now free with a contract renewel instead of the previous $99 price tag. So does this mean their is a chance we'll see the new phones this year or will AT&T have another exclusive window?

It looks like the Windows Phone team can celebrate the downfall of BlackBerry. They finally secured the distant #3 position in the market, now that the Blackberry board is considering a sale of the company.

What an achievement.

hadareud

The Translator
It looks like the Windows Phone team can celebrate the downfall of BlackBerry. They finally secured the distant #3 position in the market, now that the Blackberry board is considering a sale of the company.

What an achievement.

Personally I'm sure that BB will be fine and will take the 3rd place crown soon enough.

In fact, I'm buying shares right now. Calling the bank for re-mortgaging option straight away.

hadareud

The Translator
I got them as well until a few weeks ago, but now everything is working fine.

Btw, I've been using whatsapp as my primary form of communication for the last 2 weeks abroad and it worked perfectly with even the dodgiest network. Nothing would load much of the time (internet, twitter etc), but whatsapp always worked and the notifications were always instant.

Have to say that I was very impressed with it.

Milchjon

Btw, I've been using whatsapp as my primary form of communication for the last 2 weeks abroad and it worked perfectly with even the dodgiest network. Nothing would load much of the time (internet, twitter etc), but whatsapp always worked and the notifications were always instant.

WhatsApp is totally awesome. Both when you're abroad with no data connection beyond Wi-Fi and at home to communicate with people in other countries.

My complaints are very few with WhatsApp. The last few updates have really brought it inline with the Android and iOs offerings. Just needs a UI overhaul now.

Alright boys and gals,

After a 6 week hiatus the lifelogger train is back on schedule -- that three day attempt at porting an SNES emulator got me motivated to finishing lifelogger for release.

Fixed a ton a shitty bugs and put the near final design on some of the user-controls. Your personal Journals are now much more beautiful to look at.

Integrated automatic Camera Roll functionality. Now you no longer need to take photos from within the app to get them integrated into your journals. They'll populate on app-startup (if you so desire. It's a setting option).

Integration with skydrive. Crawls through your skydrive account and gets photo information. Downloads thumbnails of each photo (1000 photos ~= 1 MB of storage), and can resume downloading without losing progress now. V1.2 will hopefully have some kind of background downloading. For release, you'll have to stay on the settings page.

When viewing a photo from skydrive, you have the option to download it locally to your phone. When downloaded, the photo is integrated into your camera roll.

Backup/Restore of your lifelogs is now much more streamlined.

'NeoGAF' is now called out on the special thanks page -_-

Just need some better Tutorial controls and the free version will be sent to the marketplace.

After v1 is sent, I'm planning on putting in flickr support. Are there any other photo services that people might be interested in?

Sordid

Constantly getting a push notification error on WhatsApp. It suggests resetting the phone which I've done three times with no luck. Any ideas?

I keep getting the same. Pretty irritating as it was working so well after the update :/

Edit: I've got a Lumia 920 on Three in the UK if that makes any difference.

Galaxy Note 3 specs:

"Depending on the country release, the Note 3 will have a couple model numbers – SM-N900 & SM-N9005 – and sport the following specs: 5.68-inch full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080 resolution, 1.8GHz Octa-core Exynos 5420 processor, 3GB RAM, 13MP camera with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), LTE connectivity, 16/32/64GB internal storage (64GB will be rare) plus a microSD slot, 3,200 mAh battery and running Android OS 4.3 Jelly Bean. No insight into any new S-Pen features."

It's great how OIS is a checklist feature now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom