• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
So what you're saying is that I'm moaning about people not reading my posts while not properly reading people's posts. Impossible!

Anyway, that sucks. Once it's stuck on the gears it won't come back, usually.

I gotta say, NeoGAF looks better with Segoe UI. It's not perfect, but much nicer to read than whatever font is picked, when the default font isn't supported.

PG2G

Mine is still going unfortunately, so I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Probably let it do its thing until lunch time and then take it to AT&T. Is this strictly a Nokia thing, or is it just Windows Phone in general?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When I was getting the spinning gears months ago when I was replacing my 920 I was able to get passed the gears somehow. I just kept trying different things. I think I tried the 3 button reset combo many times.

I'm actually thinking about forcing the spinning gears and sending the phone in, hoping that they also replace the glass, because I got a nasty scratch on it. :lol

toff74

I'm actually thinking about forcing the spinning gears and sending the phone in, hoping that they also replace the glass, because I got a nasty scratch on it. :lol

Been thinking of doing exactly the same thing for the same reason.. Only I reckon by the time they get the phone they'll be greeted with a lovely welcome screen lol.

Would love a scratch and dent free phone though.

hadareud

The Translator
I've a scratch too, but I learned to live with it.

Still thinking of putting a grey body on it, though. There's a replacement service on ebay for 50 quid and they say they're turning it around in a day.

Tempted.

Treo360

When I was getting the spinning gears months ago when I was replacing my 920 I was able to get passed the gears somehow. I just kept trying different things. I think I tried the 3 button reset combo many times.

I have that now on my 920, I have to use Nokia care suite everytime to get past it.

KageMaru

Windows phone brahs, I need a phone upgrade. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=649287&page=1

Nokia Lumia 928 is free at Verizon with upgrade right now. What say you?

I'm in the exact same boat. My upgrade is coming up on the 30th I believe and I've been looking at some phones.

The 928 was $99 with a renewal just a week or so ago, so I wonder if they dropped it in preparation for the new phones that are supposed to come out in a few months.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would pick any of the other W8 phones at Verizon with them giving away the 928 for free.

I really like my 928, but I also like the 8X in some areas. I prefer a matte finish if possible, but its glossy. Its speakers are also quieter than the 8x. The xenon flash is a little funky sometimes. It's also bigger than the 8x, and doesn't quite fit my hand--I have small hands--like the 8x does.

Treo360

How often do you reset your phone?

I've done it three times in the past month. My wife and I have 920's, however hers developed a few lines of stuck pixels, so I bought a 521 and gave her mine while it was out for repair, 1 reset for her info, and then another for when she got the her phone back and returned mine, then a third time because I didn't get the backup to work properly. Each time I needed ncs to get the phone to work.

KageMaru

I really like my 928, but I also like the 8X in some areas. I prefer a matte finish if possible, but its glossy. Its speakers are also quieter than the 8x. The xenon flash is a little funky sometimes. It's also bigger than the 8x, and doesn't quite fit my hand--I have small hands--like the 8x does.

The size of the phone isn't something I considered, I can see how the smaller phone would be more comfortable for some, good point.

Disappointing to hear about the speaker quality of the 928 but it can't be worse than the Trophy.

The size of the phone isn't something I considered, I can see how the smaller phone would be more comfortable for some, good point.

Disappointing to hear about the speaker quality of the 928 but it can't be worse than the Trophy.

I should clarify: 'headphone' audio, not speaker audio. The 8x's 'beats whatever' is louder for headphone use. I haven't used the speaker on the 928 nearly enough, nor in close proximity with the 8x for me to make a judgement.

Is it just a 920 thing?

I've done reset my phone on my 8x/928 like 15 or so times and have never come across the issue.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The lumias also have a Beats-audio like headphone enhancement feature, its called Dolby Headphones and its under "audio" in settings.

PG2G

So, I am back in business, but had to downgrade from Cyan to Red.

Cyan charger and red phone is going to look terrible

kharma45

will the Lumia 928 still charge fine wirelessly with a case on it?

It will. It will even pass through stuff like wood so you could hide the wireless charger and do this

Nokia-920.png

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Tempting fate I ended up taking off my screen protector on my 920 again. Feels and looks so much better without it. I have a thin scratch that I rarely see.

Galaxy Note 3 specs:

"Depending on the country release, the Note 3 will have a couple model numbers – SM-N900 & SM-N9005 – and sport the following specs: 5.68-inch full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080 resolution, 1.8GHz Octa-core Exynos 5420 processor, 3GB RAM, 13MP camera with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), LTE connectivity, 16/32/64GB internal storage (64GB will be rare) plus a microSD slot, 3,200 mAh battery and running Android OS 4.3 Jelly Bean. No insight into any new S-Pen features."

It's great how OIS is a checklist feature now.
i wish everyone else would copy FM radios.

It's a big.LITTLE cpu. While it might have 8 cores inside, it won't be able to use more than 4 at one time.

big.LITTLE does support that configuration, it would just be device suicide to enable 8 cores in a phone. someone actually modded their GS4 kernel to do it and destroyed their handset in 30 minutes. also, the upcoming MediaTek MT8135 will be a quad core big.LITTLE (2x A15, 2xA7) tablet SoC with support for all 4 cores running at once.

First they got Microsoft's head of developer relations, now it's Nokia's. Damn it, Amazon.

i wish everyone else would copy FM radios.

It was a really nice change, when Microsoft set FM radio as part of the minimum requirement for all Windows Phones. I was extremely disappointed when I found out that the Galaxy Nexus didn't have it.

Milchjon

Forbes.com says new cheap iPhone will cost $300-400.

I guess this means the cheap Lumias still have a shot at saving the platform.

Will be interesting to see how Apple will handle their pricing in the future.

Because on one hand, $300-400 will probably not be exactly cheap for what you get compared to the market. Yet at the same time, why would I pay more than double that amount for the flagship iPhone when it has the same access to the most important thing Apple has to offer, their App Store?

Oh well, maybe they'll show some real innovation to differentiate between the models.

Milchjon

I'm plugged in, still don't see it.

Oh well, not like I'd upload anything.

Also, they should finally add some functionality from that video player in the standard player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom