• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why settle for 8? 32 or bust

EDIT: I want someone to do the multi focus camera, where you can switch between like 9 different points of focus. I don't remember which camera does that, but that could be really interesting on a phone

Fjolle

Nokia should make a 16-core phone and disable 14 of them. They would sell billions of them.

Also you need to fix your avatar for the dark theme.

Nokia should make a 16-core phone and disable 14 of them. They would sell billions of them.

Also you need to fix your avatar for the dark theme.

It wouldn't, because they'd use a WVGA screen for that phone.

And I'll fix my avatar in celebration of the 8.1 release.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Galaxy Note 3 specs:

"Depending on the country release, the Note 3 will have a couple model numbers – SM-N900 & SM-N9005 – and sport the following specs: 5.68-inch full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080 resolution, 1.8GHz Octa-core Exynos 5420 processor, 3GB RAM, 13MP camera with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), LTE connectivity, 16/32/64GB internal storage (64GB will be rare) plus a microSD slot, 3,200 mAh battery and running Android OS 4.3 Jelly Bean. No insight into any new S-Pen features."

It's great how OIS is a checklist feature now.
Unless you are hooking your phone to a external monitor, I don't understand the need for having those high specs.

I broke my Nexus 4, and instead of paying the £180 to get it repaired, I paid £100 for a 520 instead. Because I've always wanted to try out Windows Phone. I'm liking it so far, but damn the app store is just depressing.

Are there any good podcast apps? and any way to keep track of my Data usage like on Android?

Podcast Lounge is a great podcast app, should be all you need.

dLMN8R

There are still no podcast apps that can play back at 1.5x or 2x, right? I know there's no platform support, but there's at least gotta be a way to manually implement it...

PG2G

So, I have a problem where never get the first message in a group text (but get subsequent messages) and don't get picture messages. I'd call support but I know the first thing anyone is going to say is reset the phone. I am afraid to get Lumia 920 spinning geared :/

So, I have a problem where never get the first message in a group text (but get subsequent messages) and don't get picture messages. I'd call support but I know the first thing anyone is going to say is reset the phone. I am afraid to get Lumia 920 spinning geared :/

Have the MMS setting on for group messaging?

PmWmt4n.png

PG2G

Have the MMS setting on for group messaging?

I can't see your pic, but yeah. It literally just stopped working one day... without any settings changes on my end.

I've been having bad luck lately lol, that and a broken usb port :| wish I had insurance. I guess at least its still under warranty lol

Edit: screw it, i'm going for it

hwalker84

I can't see your pic, but yeah. It literally just stopped working one day... without any settings changes on my end.

I've been having bad luck lately lol, that and a broken usb port :| wish I had insurance. I guess at least its still under warranty lol

Edit: screw it, i'm going for it

Give it atleast 5 hours before you panic

hwalker84

Didn't need to do anything special? Just gave it as much time as it needed? I'm thinking of letting it run on power until I go to bed and then letting it run until i wake up off the charger

Mine took about 4 hrs without music or many apps. I panic'd around 1:30 and started trying all kinds of guides. I eventually pulled the sim and let it go and it came back.

Razdek

Banned
I'm a bit annoyed, but it in the end it is a few bucks and I haven't played it in some time. Still shitty they are shutting it down.

Yea I try to stick to the $.99 apps and games in the Marketplace as I already got burnt by developers leaving the platform and abandoning the app (like the Carbon app).

Razdek

Banned
Yes. Really terrible. Needs some sort of progress. Spinning gears for hours upon end doesn't sit well with anyone.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I returned my 920 along with the bad battery life. When I returned the phone the gears were still spinning lol. Not sure how something like this got pass QA.

PG2G

Evidently resetting a phone uses more battery than the wireless charger can provide haha. Shit died and came back later with spinning gears. We'll see how this looks in the morning

The last part of the somewhat long Lumia 1020 reivew on All Things D.

Nokia Lumia 1020 Nudges Smartphone Cameras to the Next Level

As far as the phone features of the Nokia Lumia 1020, there’s the Microsoft Windows Phone 8 app store to consider. Sure, there are plenty of key apps, like Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Gmail, YouTube, Skype, Pandora and eBay. But I didn’t have access to apps like Instagram, Mailbox, Jawbone Up and RunKeeper — all of which I use regularly or daily.

From a hardware perspective, the 32 gigabyte Lumia 1020 feels like a premium phone, but it’s also significantly larger than the iPhone 5, and is thicker and heavier than the Samsung Galaxy S4. It measures 5.1 by 2.8 by .40 inches, and weighs 5.5 ounces. It has 4.5-inch touchscreen with a 1280 by 768 resolution, and comes in yellow, black and white.

I couldn’t get my head (or hand) around using it as my everyday smartphone — especially for running. By the end of each running session, I was referring to it as the “yellow brick phone.”

Aside from the camera, the Lumia 1020’s standout feature might very well be its maps. There are multiple map apps on newer Nokia smartphones, including driving maps and public transit maps. These maps are powered by Navteq, which Nokia acquired in 2008, and they are excellent. The turn-by-turn driving maps were the best I’ve experienced with any smartphone.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is a well-built phone with a camera that bests most other smartphone cameras. I hope to see other smartphone makers adopt some of its high-end camera technology. (Really, I do; I’m a little tired of all the blurry, washed-out, devil-eyed photos in my Facebook feed, including my own photos.)

But it will suit a specific crowd: AT&T-subscribing photo hounds with $299 in their pockets who prefer the Windows Phone 8 operating system.
http://allthingsd.com/20130812/nokia-lumia-1020-nudges-smartphone-cameras-to-the-next-level/

tl;dr: Great camera, I wish other phones had it

hadareud

The Translator
About all the factory reset drama I've read here: factory reset is fucked. Do not factory reset your phone (at least not your 920).

If you do need to do it anyway to fix something, use the Nokia Care Suite.

You can download the current firmware from within the application. Navifirm is not needed.

- open the product support tool for store
- click tools & firmware download
- enter your Lumia product code (can either be found in the phone itself or online or if you can't find it ask here)
- flash your phone

The good news is that you can still use this method even if your phone is stuck on the spinning gears.

It is not necessary to send the phone in, you can fix it yourself. I know it works because I've done it myself before when it was stuck on the gears. It's simple and it's quick and it won't void your warranty since you're using the official firmware (even if it did void your warranty, they wouldn't be able to tell what you did).

hadareud

The Translator
I may just have had a deja vu, but I'm almost certain that I posted something very similar a few weeks ago.

Am I to understand that my posts are not read?

:(

The last part of the somewhat long Lumia 1020 reivew on All Things D.

Nokia Lumia 1020 Nudges Smartphone Cameras to the Next Level

http://allthingsd.com/20130812/nokia-lumia-1020-nudges-smartphone-cameras-to-the-next-level/

tl;dr: Great camera, I wish other phones had it

So, basically it is another we wish it ran Androids review.

My brother in law was very impress with my Lumia 920 (he currently using Galaxy S, was iPhone user for several years). He also said that Nokia Drive is the best navigation app he seen and was wondering if it's available on Google Play. He already regret getting the Galaxy S and will move back to iPhone next contract upgrade cycle, but will never get Windows Phone because he always want the newest and latest games.

Totakeke

I couldn’t get my head (or hand) around using it as my everyday smartphone — especially for running. By the end of each running session, I was referring to it as the “yellow brick phone.”

Well... I still have never seen anyone who didn't look awkward running outdoors with their smartphones.

PG2G

I may just have had a deja vu, but I'm almost certain that I posted something very similar a few weeks ago.

Am I to understand that my posts are not read?

:(

My phone has a broken USB port so its not an option for me unfortunately. Not really too worried since I kinda need to send it in to repair that anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom