• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
I can't wait for Microsoft's Instagram on Windows Phone announcement in the coming months, now that "no one" wants it anymore.
like Pandora, nobody cares now but at least the naysayers can get off instagram and bash something else about WP. "bububu no 1080p."

So today Apple released iOS 6.0.2. to finally fix the WiFi issues. That's 3 months after release, to fix one pretty annoying issue.

So, is Microsoft really that slow?

Cipherr

Following the heels of HTC's cancellation of the WP8 Zenith are the leaks of their next Android hero phone the M7. Guess what it has that WP8 doesn't support? a 1080p screen.

Seriously, the 920 can't keep the platform afloat on its own. Verizon and T-Mobile should have their own WP8 flagships from HTC and Samsung if the 920 is going to be exclusive to ATT for 6 months. So far, HTC bails and Samsung's flagship is MIA.

To be fair, looking back when they announced the resolutions that WP8 would support, I thought they knocked it out of the park. At that time, I don't think many of us were expecting 1080p to arrive for screens so quickly. But apparently HTC is going to ship a 4.7" 1080p screen next year as a flagship. I think they should just quickly change things so they support 1080p and perhaps even the next 16:9 resolution (I mean shit... at this rate you never know) so that any Android phone thats released can be re-purposed into a WP8 phone.

I know they want to 'stand out' and all that. But at the moment, it might be wise to begin focusing more on permeating the world market rather than being a special snowflake. Having WP8 go live and have next to NO devices on a lot of carriers running it is inexcusable. I don't feel that there is any good reason why any Android flagship should launch without a WP8 version of that same phone launching right behind it. If they achieve that parity, then they make the consumers choice about preference of OS and ecosystems, whereas right now, they dont even have flagship presence on some of the carriers.

Ah...damn. I wonder if it is the infamous 922

best buy has the 8X on version for $49 in all 3 colors

Oh sweet! Never signed up under BB though. How would that work interms of plans and such?

Ya know, I never got a clear answer from Verizon when I asked. Will I be able to keep my unlimited plan with Verizon when I upgrade? Some tell me no but my friend was able to when he upgraded (but he went through Best Buy) and now has unlimited LTE.

Oh sweet! Never signed up under BB though. How would that work interms of plans and such?

Ya know, I never got a clear answer from Verizon when I asked. Will I be able to keep my unlimited plan with Verizon when I upgrade? Some tell me no but my friend was able to when he upgraded (but he went through Best Buy) and now has unlimited LTE.

IDK I would go in and ask.

derFeef

As of now, Wonder Reader is replacing NG Reader on my phone, readability support here I come (still not default view option...).

Commodore

Last I heard, Verizon was kicking off anyone who upgrades to a new phone from their unlimited plans.

My hat is off to Microsoft and Nokia if the rumor Portico update starting tomorrow is true. I can said I am impress at the speed they move to fix this phone breaking issues. I am glad they take this issue seriously and that how it really negatively impacting Windows Phone perception.

Next update, I am hoping they will clean up the Xbox music and video mess and improve the user experience.

zedge

My hat is off to Microsoft and Nokia if the rumor Portico update starting tomorrow is true. I can said I am impress at the speed they move to fix this phone breaking issues. I am glad they take this issue seriously and that how it really negatively impacting Windows Phone perception.

Next update, I am hoping they will clean up the Xbox music and video mess and improve the user experience.

Separate media and notification volume FFS please... who seriously thought this was a good idea?

"Hay guys lets link the media and notification volume so you get your ears blasted off when you play your music and forget to turn the ringer down"

Idiots.

Actually, I have been wondering lately why they didn't make Xbox Music/Video just a regular app that just so happened to be bundled with the OS and couldn't be uninstalled. If they did, it would have allowed them to easily update Xbox Music/Video through the marketplace without needing an OS update. They would have also been able to put a separate team on Xbox Music/Video and updates would be able to come out more frequently.

thirty

Banned
Separate media and notification volume FFS please... who seriously thought this was a good idea?

"Hay guys lets link the media and notification volume so you get your ears blasted off when you play your music and forget to turn the ringer down"

Idiots.
cuz market research says too many options are confusing, according to Microsoft. Yet the OS has the most confusing way to sync, manage apps in background, manage playlists, etc.

If the update is coming tomorrow, it will likely be for unbranded and pre production devices. Nokia reiterated that the update isn't being released until early next year (likely just waiting for carrier sign off which takes a while).

zedge

If the update is coming tomorrow, it will likely be for unbranded and pre production devices. Nokia reiterated that the update isn't being released until early next year (likely just waiting for carrier sign off which takes a while).
The rumor comes from leak Att memo to employees, the new OS and firmware are both on Nokia server and you can flash it yourself using Nokia NaviFirm tools. The next year update you are confusing it with is for 7.8 update for the Lumia 7.5 devices (900, 800 etc).

thirty

Banned
Cinemagraph updated, Nokia hosts a downsized copy of your GIF that you can now "share" via email, text, and twitter/facebook via a link.

PG2G

They also updated Nokia Maps and Nokia Music. Maps seems to do significantly better with traffic though it still seems like its freeway only. I haven't tried Nokia Music yet.

thirty

Banned
Yeah, Elop and Nokia get it. They are in survival mode. Microsoft, on the other hand, is acting like typical Microsoft.

it's a digital journal that acts both passively and actively to help 'log' your life. The hope is to allow you to basically have a personal Journal of your everyday encounters, but not to make you actively sit down and write it all out. Log location, time, interactions between your friends. You'll be able to write notes and tag people with them.

The hope is also to help 'remind' you of your close reactions with the people you've encountered throughout the day. Say we recognize when you were near him/her that day and remind you to reminisce about your time together. That can be stored and you can look back at that day a year from now.

I, along with three people in my group, worked on an embedded system->smartphone->web backend->web frontend project as our senior project.

I'm working on fleshing out the smartphone aspect to get completely rid of the embedded system (which was really just a dummy GPS+Bluetooth box).

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ece549/spring12/team20/index.html

Check out the rad video we did during crunch-time: http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ece549/spring12/team20/videos/lifelogger_movie.mp4

I'm not really expecting to publish it to the marketplace, but rather to act as experience in making a somewhat decent application. At the very worst, I want to make it available for myself to use and be able to store the information without breaking. It's a learning experience overall.

i'm sure i've had more updates in the month or so of having a wp8 device than i did in the 2 years of wp7. not quite the 30 a day my android-wielding girlfriend receives, mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom