• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that there is a line. Sit back and imagine the future of Microsoft if they can't get any traction in mobile (both tablet and phone).

I feel like Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are do tightly coupled (and will be moreso in the future) that success for one will drive success for the other. If Microsoft can't grow in market share, their business is pretty much screwed outside of Office and Xbox

How are Windows 8 and Phone 8 tightly coupled, aside from sharing a kernel? They sort of have the same UI but that's it so far. There is much more potential in Windows 8 and Phone than Microsoft is utilising.

And to be honest, I want Microsoft to be succesful in the Tablet/Phone space. It's no secret that I don't like Apple and I am frightened by the thought of a market controlled by google. But, sadly, I don't see Microsofts efforts paying off and I think they'll have a very rough future ahead of them.
Look at the rate ARM hardware has been evolving and Android has been improving. In 2 years time, a quadcore S4 will be low-end and Android will continue to grow. I wouldn't be surprised if Android would be a reasonable Windows alternative, because it's slowly but steadily getting there. I'm even using my Android 2.3 phone as a PC. The only time I go on a PC is when I have to do long office sessions. Something like the Asus Padfone could replace everything I'm doing on a PC a couple of years.

Totakeke

And in terms of hybrid OS, Microsoft already has a solution and is years ahead of the competition.*

*cue people saying tablets and laptops shouldn't converge.

hwalker84

How are Windows 8 and Phone 8 tightly coupled, aside from sharing a kernel? They sort of have the same UI but that's it so far. There is much more potential in Windows 8 and Phone than Microsoft is utilising.

And to be honest, I want Microsoft to be succesful in the Tablet/Phone space. It's no secret that I don't like Apple and I am frightened by the thought of a market controlled by google. But, sadly, I don't see Microsofts efforts paying off and I think they'll have a very rough future ahead of them.
Look at the rate ARM hardware has been evolving and Android has been improving. In 2 years time, a quadcore S4 will be low-end and Android will continue to grow. I wouldn't be surprised if Android would be a reasonable Windows alternative, because it's slowly but steadily getting there. I'm even using my Android 2.3 phone as a PC. The only time I go on a PC is when I have to do long office sessions. Something like the Asus Padfone could replace everything I'm doing on a PC a couple of years.

Spot on.

PG2G

They are tightly coupled in the way that makes most sense for two new platforms, in terms of software development and services. For developers, making an investment in Windows 8 is making an investment in Windows Phone and will likely be making an investment in the next Xbox. If Windows 8 takes off and creates a healthy ecosystem, it will prop up Windows Phone, and the same in reverse.

Which is the exact reason that there is no limit to how much they can spend.

They are tightly coupled in the way that makes most sense for two new platforms, in terms of software development and services. For developers, making an investment in Windows 8 is making an investment in Windows Phone and will likely be making an investment in the next Xbox. If Windows 8 takes off and creates a healthy ecosystem, it will prop up Windows Phone, and the same in reverse.

Which is the exact reason that there is no limit to how much they can spend.

And yet they can't get the bookmarks to sync across the two platforms. Same core and browser and all.

PG2G

And yet they can't get the bookmarks to sync across the two platforms. Same core and browser and all.

Yeah, that's not really related to my point. I think don't think anyone would disagree that there are still a number of feature gaps in the OS and apps.

Totakeke

brotkatsen, champion of the little things in our lives.

Actually I think it's a bad idea to just sync the bookmarks. Who wants to scroll through a full list of stuffs on your phone?

Zune is dead.

You have two options:

Drag and drop

Windows Phone Desktop sync tool

Pick your poison

what about Zunplex?

Actually I think it's a bad idea to just sync the bookmarks. Who wants to scroll through a full list of stuffs on your phone?

it's not a big deal to me, but the type of response.. ugh..

"who wants to use IRC on a phone?"

There's a lot of quiet buzz around Nokia these days. The stock is going up, apparently the 920 did really well during black friday at walmart and probably would've done better had there been more stock. But there hasn't really been any hard evidence of Nokia really turning it around either.

There's a lot of quiet buzz around Nokia these days. The stock is going up, apparently the 920 did really well during black friday at walmart and probably would've done better had there been more stock. But there hasn't really been any hard evidence of Nokia really turning it around either.

isnt demand high in china?

I expect that kind of thinking from some people at Microsoft, but not here.

Syncing bookmarks across devices is not magic. Other platforms and browsers do it, including giving you options on what bookmarks to sync. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Dolphin. Probably more.

Having options is not a bad thing. They might take longer to implement, but it's better than skipping a feature completely.

Totakeke

I expect that kind of thinking from some people at Microsoft, but not here.

Syncing bookmarks across devices is not magic. Other platforms and browsers do it, including giving you options on what bookmarks to sync. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Dolphin. Probably more.

Having options is not a bad thing. They might take longer to implement, but it's better than skipping a feature completely.

Since when is the Windows Phone model to be the first out with features? It's always been doing features "correctly" even if it means it's wrong in the end.

PG2G

From the WPCentral forums

Software update: Windows Phone 8X by HTC

On December 19, a software update to OS version 8.0.10211.204 and firmware version 1532.20.20004.531 will be released for the Windows Phone 8X by HTC. The software update, which will be available by Over The Air (OTA), will help address a few bugs, including issues with Bluetooth, devices rebooting, and being incorrectly routed to tethering upsell pages when browsing.

Edit: To clarify, that is T-Mobile

PG2G

this is what I have my fingers crossed for, come MWC :p

wayne.jpg

And from NVIDIA's leaked roadmap back in 9/2011

nvidia-tegra-winpo-580x314.jpg

Ragus

Banned
Can anyone explain to me, why do locked/unlocked phones don't get updates at the same time? It seems very silly to me :/.

I thought there were already published reports on in fighting between the Windows Phone and Kin teams before they sent the Kin out to die?

Andy Lees set the KIN team one or two years back, because he insisted they'd use Windows CE instead of the Java OS they've been using (they bought Danger Inc., the Sidekick people, for the project).

Speaking of the KIN, something like the KIN Studio is still missing from Windows Phone, 2 years after they ditched it. I mean, it's basically SkyDrive now, except that it doesn't look as hip and I still can't see the messages.

Ppum3.jpg

Also, no neat timeline for the content from your phone.

Since when is the Windows Phone model to be the first out with features? It's always been doing features "correctly" even if it means it's wrong in the end.

What? How would they be the first on the market with that feature? I just explained how they're still behind everyone else with the lack of bookmark sync. Virtually every other browser has it, except IE. Again, it's not magic, it's not complicated. Others are already doing it right.

PG2G

Can anyone explain to me, why do locked/unlocked phones don't get updates at the same time? It seems very silly to me :/.

Carriers are typically responsible for supporting locked devices, so the updates need to go through them as well.

Ragus

Banned
Carriers are typically responsible for locked devices, so the updates need to go through them as well.

I see. Let's say I have a Lumia 920, which was locked to a carrier, but I payed for taking off SimLock and I successfuly unlocked it. Will I still have to wait for the original Carrier of the phone when I want to do an update?

Totakeke

What? How would they be the first on the market with that feature? I just explained how they're still behind everyone else with the lack of bookmark sync. Virtually every other browser has it, except IE. Again, it's not magic, it's not complicated. Others are already doing it right.

I never said they're the first to have bookmark sync, I said they're never in the model of feature checklist for Windows Phone even now by getting as much features as they can every release. Either you believe that, or you believe that they fail spectacularly to meet their plans every release.

Microsoft no longer attending CES right? And now WPcentral is reporting Nokia is planning only WMC show.

They're not doing the keynotes anymore, but that doesn't mean they won't be there.

But MWC is the show for mobile related announcements and CES is a bit too soon to show something off.

this_guy

I never said they're the first to have bookmark sync, I said they're never in the model of feature checklist for Windows Phone even now by getting as much features as they can every release. Either you believe that, or you believe that they fail spectacularly to meet their plans every release.

So what was your original point?

is that when Microsoft release Office for iOS and Android?

Can I be honest? I'll be honest.

I didn't think this would happen, but with work being super stressful these last three months, it happened twice now, where having Word and PowerPoint on my phone would've been extremly useful.

If I didn't know about the Android version and Microsoft would've made it clear that it won't happen, I probably would've jumped back rather sooner than later.

PG2G

They're not doing the keynotes anymore, but that doesn't mean they won't be there.

But MWC is the show for mobile related announcements and CES is a bit too soon to show something off.

They won't have a booth either, so they are pretty much not there.

Microsoft no longer attending CES right? And now WPcentral is reporting Nokia is planning only WMC show.

It makes sense though. Announce new phones with new software (presumably with support for new hardware) to go with it.

So I've had a Droid X for about two years (started to hate it towards the end), then picked up a HTC Trophy to play around for about a year or so until Verizon got some new WPs in. I've been itching to upgrade for awhile but after seeing the 8X and the 822...I feel a little underwhelmed. I love the look and feel of the 8X but the price and specs are really turning me off (I feel ugly at the thought of paying $200 for a dual-core, non-expandable, non-replaceable battery phone).

I am guilty in wanting the famous Lumia 920 and do feel a bit bitter about it being carrier exclusive. I feel that M$ really dropped the ball with WP8. They had a great chance to get as many different phones to as many carries as possible but they still went for that carrier exclusive crap. While the ATIV S does look interesting, I don't have any hype for it.

At the moment my choices are the SG Note II, 8X, wait for the ATIV S, or wait and see what that new BB10 phone has in store. My top choices at this time are the SG N2 and BB10 but idk. I really wanted to have a new windows phone but I am not feeling it.

best buy has the 8X on version for $49 in all 3 colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom