• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not. Nokia is going to support the device for a while, including Windows Phone 7.8 and new apps. Who knows what Samsung is going. LG already confirmed they wouldn't support my Optimus 7 anymore, so no 7.8 for me.

Well, my mom is using the Omnia.
-The Omnia has a physical home button to unlock the phone, which is easier to press than the lock button on the side,
-The Omnia has a super amoled display, the lumia just an amoled
-Omnia has a bigger screen

I'm in a pickle. The Lumia 800 is 200 euros + 50 euros cash back and I already found a buyer for the Omnia for 100 euro's. It'll cost me 50 euros to fo from omnia to Lumia.

this is what I have my fingers crossed for, come MWC :p

wayne.jpg

And from NVIDIA's leaked roadmap back in 9/2011

nvidia-tegra-winpo-580x314.jpg

If you don't own Nvidia stock...well, you should.

So I've had a Droid X for about two years (started to hate it towards the end), then picked up a HTC Trophy to play around for about a year or so until Verizon got some new WPs in. I've been itching to upgrade for awhile but after seeing the 8X and the 822...I feel a little underwhelmed. I love the look and feel of the 8X but the price and specs are really turning me off (I feel ugly at the thought of paying $200 for a dual-core, non-expandable, non-replaceable battery phone).

I am guilty in wanting the famous Lumia 920 and do feel a bit bitter about it being carrier exclusive. I feel that M$ really dropped the ball with WP8. They had a great chance to get as many different phones to as many carries as possible but they still went for that carrier exclusive crap. While the ATIV S does look interesting, I don't have any hype for it.

At the moment my choices are the SG Note II, 8X, wait for the ATIV S, or wait and see what that new BB10 phone has in store. My top choices at this time are the SG N2 and BB10 but idk. I really wanted to have a new windows phone but I am not feeling it.

The Note II is such an incredible device that the only reason you wouldn't pick it is because you have a huge investment in Apple's ecosystem which prevents you from leaving your iPhone behind. Otherwise it's so overwhelmingly superior to anything else out there that there just isn't a single good reason not to pick the Note II, assuming you aren't fazed by exceptionally big phones.

It's hard to have any confidence in BB10 from what leaked information we have seen. The phone looks like the bPhone 5X and the OS looks like they mashed iOS, Android, and Symbian together into a clumsy bouillabaisse of ugly. BB10 is so late to the party that they make Windows Phone 8 look like it was fashionably on time. It's chances in the market are actually less than zero at this point, so waiting for it seems like Waiting for Godot at this point.

Well, my mom is using the Omnia.
-The Omnia has a physical home button to unlock the phone, which is easier to press than the lock button on the side,
-The Omnia has a super amoled display, the lumia just an amoled
-Omnia has a bigger screen

I'm in a pickle. The Lumia 800 is 200 euros + 50 euros cash back and I already found a buyer for the Omnia for 100 euro's. It'll cost me 50 euros to fo from omnia to Lumia.

Wait for the 620. About the same screen size & resolution +IPS LCD + ClearBlack + Windows Phone 8 + expansion options for real + Nokia apps + colours?

I sold my Omnia 7 and bought a Lumia 800 a while ago. I do miss the bigger/better Omnia screen but the Nokia exclusive apps make up for it for me.

Wait for the 620. About the same screen size & resolution +IPS LCD + ClearBlack + Windows Phone 8 + expansion options for real + Nokia apps + colours?

The 620 will be more expensive than 50 euro.

Yup. It's not like I don't like the Omnia 7, but the upgrade from Omnia 7 to Lumia 800 will cost me 50 euro's and I'm trying to figure out if I should do it or not. I think I should ask my mom, she'll be using it anyways. I'm gonna list the pros and cons and we'll see.

Versus a dead-end?

I don't really care tbh. Sure Phone 8 will be supported much longer but it's not like I can't get a new phone when it's really needed. Windows Phone 7.8 (even 7.5) has everything my mom needs, she's not a poweruser.

By the way I'm talking off-contract here.

Yup. It's not like I don't like the Omnia 7, but the upgrade from Omnia 7 to Lumia 800 will cost me 50 euro's and I'm trying to figure out if I should do it or not. I think I should ask my mom, she'll be using it anyways. I'm gonna list the pros and cons and we'll see.

Hmm...

Maybe you should list the pros and cons of keeping the Omnia, "upgrading" to the 800, and upgrading to the 620 (ranging from least to most expensive).

Hmm...

Maybe you should list the pros and cons of keeping the Omnia, "upgrading" to the 800, and upgrading to the 620 (ranging from least to most expensive).

Pros keeping Omnia 7
- Won't cost me shit
- Still a great device
Cons keeping Omnia 7
- Warrantee expires in November 2013 =P

Pros upgrading Lumia 800
- Better support from Nokia
- Better internal hardware
- Prettier device
- Total cost of upgrade: 50 euro (+10 euro for unlocking Vodafone SIM-LOCK)
Cons upgrading to Lumia 800
- Smaller screen
- Capacitive buttons

Pros upgrading Lumia 620
- Faster hardware
- Better support
Cons
- Total cost of upgrade: 159 euro's (259 euro's price of phone minues 100 euro's selling value of Omnia 7).

All the costs are off-contract.

Added to that, I don't think it's really relevant what version of Windows Phone my mom is running. They look the same and they basically do the same.

Pros keeping Omnia 7
- Won't cost me shit
- Still a great device
Cons keeping Omnia 7
- Warrantee expires in November 2013 =P

Pros upgrading Lumia 800
- Better support from Nokia
- Better internal hardware
- Prettier device
- Total cost of upgrade: 50 euro (+10 euro for unlocking Vodafone SIM-LOCK)
Cons upgrading to Lumia 800
- Smaller screen
- Capacitive buttons

Pros upgrading Lumia 620
- Faster hardware
- Better support
Cons
- Total cost of upgrade: 159 euro's (259 euro's price of phone minues 100 euro's selling value of Omnia 7).

All the costs are off-contract.

Added to that, I don't think it's really relevant what version of Windows Phone my mom is running. They look the same and they basically do the same.

Since it's your decision to make, I am afraid that I can't say anything right now. The 800 certainly is a looker compared to the 620, though. Besides, you'd be getting more features with the 800 anyway.

After some research, I found out that there no way to sim-unlock a Windows Phone yet, outside of the ordinary. The ordinary beeing an unlock code from the provider. The problem is that Vodafone is asking between 50 and 100 euro's for an unlock code.

Omnia it is I guess :p

The Note II is such an incredible device that the only reason you wouldn't pick it is because you have a huge investment in Apple's ecosystem which prevents you from leaving your iPhone behind. Otherwise it's so overwhelmingly superior to anything else out there that there just isn't a single good reason not to pick the Note II, assuming you aren't fazed by exceptionally big phones.

It's hard to have any confidence in BB10 from what leaked information we have seen. The phone looks like the bPhone 5X and the OS looks like they mashed iOS, Android, and Symbian together into a clumsy bouillabaisse of ugly. BB10 is so late to the party that they make Windows Phone 8 look like it was fashionably on time. It's chances in the market are actually less than zero at this point, so waiting for it seems like Waiting for Godot at this point.
The way I see it is WP essentially has 2 people developing it, Microsoft and Nokia whereas RIM only has themselves making BB10 reealllly rate into the game. As much as I like Rim, I don't see them coming back without the funds and efforts of multiple companies.

Samsung Galaxy S III with Windows Phone review

PROS
  • Expandable storage
  • Swappable battery
  • Slim, comfortable design
  • Solid camera performance

CONS
  • Samsung apps are hit and miss
  • WP8 app selection still weak

BOTTOM LINE
Samsung has built a quality Windows Phone 8 device that's worthwhile for those who need expandable storage. It's a solid handset, but also the least exciting of the three current WP8 flagships.

WRAP-UP

Samsung sits atop the smartphone world like a colossus thanks to its Android leadership, but the ATIV S ultimately feels like a third wheel on the Windows Phone 8 bicycle -- in part because it arrived late, but mostly because the design doesn't bring anything exciting to the table. HTC's Windows Phone 8X thrives on its compact, stylized body and helpful (if minor) tweaks; Nokia's Lumia 920 centers on major features for navigators, shutterbugs and cold-weather explorers. Samsung's phone stands out precisely because it's not trying to stand out, relying instead on historically reliable selling points like the slimmest design, the biggest screen and the most expansion.

Some will like it that way. Fans who've been waiting for full SD card support on a top-of-the-line Windows Phone now have that choice -- and it may trump everything else. Converts to Windows Phone and even smartphone newcomers might gravitate toward the ATIV S simply because they'll feel right at home. We genuinely enjoyed carrying one around, and it's a solid choice for those who aren't strongly attached to another mobile operating system (and don't mind the mixed bag of pre-installed apps). And at $100 or less on contract in Canada ($80 at Rogers; $30 at Telus) it's priced quite well.

Still, it's this conservative strategy that makes it a tougher sell for Windows Phone diehards and people who care less about expandable storage. While HTC and Nokia are guilty of saddling their Windows Phone devices with fixed storage and non-removable batteries, they've managed to carve out spaces for themselves through sheer originality: their camera and design features are irreplaceable. Samsung's decision to blend in makes the ATIV S less likely to stand out.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/19/samsung-ativ-s-review/

frontieruk

Otherwise it's so overwhelmingly superior to anything else out there that there just isn't a single good reason not to pick the Note II, assuming you aren't fazed by exceptionally big phones.

Could you please put imo or something as not everyone agrees with that statement, big phones don't phase me, but samsungs take on android does and specs don't mean everything, its how you make use of the hardware and tbh android is still using power over refinement, which is what project butter is about, so please if you come in here to post your opinion make it clear it is opinion not fact as hardware isn't the only side of the equation, and before you ask yes I have used the note II.

Nokia only able to produce 2 million Lumias, 600K Lumia 920s per month?

I hope that isn't true, or they have multiple factories at work. They probably do since it says this is the biggest one.

From last week:

It seems like Nokia is creating artificially demand by shipping in really low numbers.

Nokia: Lumia Sales Not as Strong as Rumored, Says Pac Crest

Pacific Crest’s James Faucette this morning reiterates a Sector Perform rating on shares of Nokia (NOK) and a €2 to €3 “fair value range” on the ordinary shares traded in Helsinki, writing that the stock’s recent run-up is based on an overly optimistic reading of recent sales data for its “Lumia” phones based on Microsoft‘s (MSFT) Windows Phone software, while his own checks suggest the sales have been not strong at all.

We believe that the recent rise in the stock may have been driven by what we would characterize as an overly optimistic in-terpretation of initial Lumia sales commentary. Back in mid-November, Bloomberg cited the rise in NOK1V shares as being driven by reports that the Lumia 920 had seen strong demand in Germany. While this may have been the case for a few thousand initial units, our checks indicate that retailers in Germany say they are only now beginning to receive the 920 across normal sales channels, and the volumes being received are still very small. We believe there is some initial pent-up demand that is resulting in stores selling out of initial shipments in a few days. Nevertheless, we believe this is largely to do with the low shipment volumes rather than surprisingly strong demand. We believe a somewhat similar dynamic is likely going on at AT&T for the 920. Based on the inventory on hand, we believe AT&T is selling only 10,000 to 15,000 Lumia 920 devices per week at the moment. We believe stores are able to sell available stock in a few days; however, we found most stores getting only a handful at a time. We estimate that the company is tracking toward shipping roughly 1 million new Windows 8 products in the December quarter, while it looks likely to sell-through roughly half of those units, based on current run rates.​
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...than-rumored-weak-says-pac-crest/?mod=BOLBlog

This doesn't really surprise me. When I went to get mine on launch day the shop had received two units.

Here's another report:

“We sold out of the Lumia and hope to get more before Christmas,” Thomas Ekman, head of Tele2 AB (TEL2B)’s Swedish operations, said in an interview in Stockholm today. Ekman said the company received 2,000 to 3,000 Lumia handsets initially.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...says-it-sold-out-of-lumia-and-wants-more.html

PG2G

Downloading the update for 920. Great work by Rogers and Nokia.

Update available on AT&T too, but requires Wi-Fi :/

Now for some not-so great news. For those who are not on AT&T or Rogers, the Portico OS update and firmware enhancements are not expected to go live until early February 2013.

What the hell? Come on guys...

PG2G

Great, I have to wait till february to get my 920 updated.

This is beyond fucking ridiculous.

If I had to wait that long I'd probably just grab the ROM and do it myself. Someone really needs to ask them the reason for this. Saying February to me kind of points to it being bundled into the Apollo+ update that was rumored to be Q1. I wonder if some of the critical issues only affected carrier branded phones? Doesn't seem too likely...

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
If I had to wait that long I'd probably just grab the ROM and do it myself. Someone really needs to ask them the reason for this. Saying February to me kind of points to it being bundled into the Apollo+ update that was rumored to be Q1. I wonder if some of the critical issues only affected carrier branded phones? Doesn't seem too likely...
Weird that Nokia would do this. My unbranded 8x has updated (and experienced the random reboots).

Same thing for me too. Happy to see I'm not the only one. But it got me really worried regardless.
It suppose to reboot after it finish migrating your data. There is a screen telling you that the phone has to be reboot but it probably flash by and you guys didn't notice it.

As for screen brightness if you have 920, there is a new setting that have Super bright mode, along with battery saver that can be toggle. The super bright is really bright and remind me of Amoled screen. On that note the hight resolution Super LED screen has spoiled me, I can't go back to the Amoled with out seeing the pen-tile and they never bother me before.

So far phone is running great, will see how battery fair Toda, but I never have severe battery problem to begin with.

MCD

Wow...

Early February? Are they insane? I have experienced reboots, freezing, battery drain and god knows what else.

Fucking bullshit.

Wait, why are we blaming Nokia for the no update till February thingy again? Shouldn't we be blaming the carriers? I bet Nokia would have loved to update all at once.

MCD

So Nokia decided to bend over? That's even worse.

Meanwhile the whole world will be stuck with a buggy firmware for more than a month.

I hope it was worth it, Nokia.

So Nokia decided to bend over? That's even worse.

Meanwhile the whole world will be stuck with a buggy firmware for more than a month.

I hope it was worth it, Nokia.

The new firmware and OS are on Nokia server along with flashing tool if you don't want to wait for them to test on the rest of the carriers. I think it is better option than back in NoDo day. I don't disagree that it sucks to have to wait but I gladly manually updated all my At&t phones for 7.5 for the past few years.

Not having game saves back up to the cloud is shotty but that is on Microsoft. I think you might be better off with different phone with all the trouble you been having. I haven't have any battery issue or frequent reboots just occasional crash and the Bluetooth bug.

MCD

Battery is actually better now (it lasted about 11 hours with browsing, using Nokia Drive twice, and a bit of WhatsApp and other news apps).

But I still got the occasional freezing/rebooting while in the car (Bluetooth). And I am not flashing anything because fuck this isn't Android.

Battery is actually better now (it lasted about 11 hours with browsing, using Nokia Drive twice, and a bit of WhatsApp and other news apps).

But I still got the occasional freezing/rebooting while in the car (Bluetooth). And I am not flashing anything because fuck this isn't Android.
Shrug, I have to manually update all my AT&t phone (with exception of 900) during the past 2 years. If you refuse to DIY, then I am not sure what else you want them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom