• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

Just saw the first Lumia 920 in the wild! Some guy had the white one. I compliment him on his nice looking phone. I was going to bust out my Cyan 920 but I thought that might have been a little too much...

Razdek

Banned
Buggy software launch, buggy hardware, OS still can't do basic shit right, missing apps from WP7, app devs still do not care about WP, 5 phones that are either hard to find or still not out yet, a whole fucking OS reboot and still doesn't allow for the latest tech shit (1080p support etc).

And the list goes on. Look, I am not a troll but when you reboot your OS twice and still can't get things right, then you have to fire the man in charge.

I agree, how many chances are they going to get to get the basic things right? Wasn't it Andy Lees that said they were going to leapfrog the competition with what they had planned for WP? Imagine if BB10 is more successful than WP when it comes out, that would be something else. Not that I expect it to be.

thirty

Banned
I was out in downtown LA taking cinemagraphs and a stranger started asking me if that was the new Nokia. I briefly discussed the phone's positives and showed him some animated gifs and his mind was blown. He pulled out his 4S and said when his contract is up he'll likely go with Nokia.

thirty

Banned
I agree, how many chances are they going to get to get the basic things right? Wasn't it Andy Lees that said they were going to leapfrog the competition with what they had planned for WP? Imagine if BB10 is more successful than WP when it comes out, that would be something else. Not that I expect it to be.
well, RIM does have an orientation lock from jump. MS still can't fathom that people would want that as an option.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/17/leaked-blackberry10-screenshots/

thirty

Banned
Following the heels of HTC's cancellation of the WP8 Zenith are the leaks of their next Android hero phone the M7. Guess what it has that WP8 doesn't support? a 1080p screen.

Seriously, the 920 can't keep the platform afloat on its own. Verizon and T-Mobile should have their own WP8 flagships from HTC and Samsung if the 920 is going to be exclusive to ATT for 6 months. So far, HTC bails and Samsung's flagship is MIA.

Razdek

Banned

Troll

Banned
Its baffling to me how complacent Microsoft seems to be. Whatever the 8.5 update whenever its announced or releases should've been WP8.0

WP8 to me was stymied by essentially remaking the entire OS when they switched kernals. Also take in consideration the effort to get all of the 7.x apps to work on the new kernal and you have yourself a whole lot of engineering feats they had to pull off. Now that's done, I hope updates like the one we're getting in a few days are commonplace.

Razdek

Banned
Following the heels of HTC's cancellation of the WP8 Zenith are the leaks of their next Android hero phone the M7. Guess what it has that WP8 doesn't support? a 1080p screen.

Seriously, the 920 can't keep the platform afloat on its own. Verizon and T-Mobile should have their own WP8 flagships from HTC and Samsung if the 920 is going to be exclusive to ATT for 6 months. So far, HTC bails and Samsung's flagship is MIA.

Wait till Apollo ++ or the next one.

Razdek

Banned
WP8 to me was stymied by essentially remaking the entire OS when they switched kernals. Also take in consideration the effort to get all of the 7.x apps to work on the new kernal and you have yourself a whole lot of engineering feats they had to pull off. Now that's done, I hope updates like the one we're getting in a few days are commonplace.

I agree and I think the next 6 months is going to tell if they're serious about being competitive in the mobile race or just content to be there.

thirty

Banned
I agree and I think the next 6 months is going to tell if they're serious about being competitive in the mobile race or just content to be there.
6 months is too long. The 920 is still exclusive to a single carrier, there's no HTC hero phone in sight, and the Ativ S has yet to find a home in the US.

I see an unfortunate shift to a single hardware partner for MS. Nokia will do very well but all their carrier exclusivities will ultimately hamper the platform's growth.

Razdek

Banned
6 months is too long. The 920 is still exclusive to a single carrier, there's no HTC hero phone in sight, and the Ativ S has yet to find a home in the US.

I see an unfortunate shift to a single hardware partner for MS. Nokia will do very well but all their carrier exclusivities will ultimately hamper the platform's growth.

One can argue that the 8X is HTC hero phone for this year and the Titan III should make an appearance next year. MS really needs to get WP8 constantly updated and fixes/new features fast and not like they did it in the past.

The updates coming out seems like it's a good indication of it but they need to keep pushing until they get on par with the other leading OS's. I really believe that 2013 is the make or break it year for the platform.

Microsoft was still struggling about which OS would be better for sub-10" devices. Internal rivalries and all that. Same old Microsoft. <3

Microsoft spends more time and effort on corporate infighting than they do on actually producing anything. Which is why they have been so hopelessly behind on everything the past few years. The last time MS actually got ducks in a row and executed a product, it was Xbox 360. Everything since then has been a disaster of internal power struggles: Kin, Zune, Windows 8, Windows Phone, etc.

If there's one thing Kaz Hirai has gotten right during his short tenure as CEO of Sony, it's that he seems to have finally convinced the people there that maybe cooperating just a bit is a better option than bankruptcy. Sony actually might have a chance to turning things around, whereas Panasonic and Sharp are dead companies walking.

What I can't fathom is how MS, one of the biggest software engineering companies on Earth, couldn't come up with enough resources to re-do the underlying OS with the kernel change but also dramatically improve and re-work the UI. I mean, Windows Phone 8 seems to be exactly same as Windows Phone 7 as far as the user experience is concerned. Apple can get away with shipping the same OS for 2 years or even 5 years. MS is not Apple, and the sales of WP8 prove it.

Microsoft spends more time and effort on corporate infighting than they do on actually producing anything. Which is why they have been so hopelessly behind on everything the past few years. The last time MS actually got ducks in a row and executed a product, it was Xbox 360. Everything since then has been a disaster of internal power struggles: Kin, Zune, Windows 8, Windows Phone, etc

What I can't fathom is how MS, one of the biggest software engineering companies on Earth, couldn't come up with enough resources to re-do the underlying OS with the kernel change but also dramatically improve and re-work the UI. I mean, Windows Phone 8 seems to be exactly same as Windows Phone 7 as far as the user experience is concerned. Apple can get away with shipping the same OS for 2 years or even 5 years. MS is not Apple, and the sales of WP8 prove it.

This is so silly its ludicrous.

8x is the Hero phone. It is a good phone, the thing is 920 is slightly better.

Microsoft just need to update and fix bug faster, or at the very least give the appearance of moving fast.

The problem with WP8 is that instead of improving on user experience, they end up with bugs and stuff that should have been fix from WP7 were not because they spend all their time porting to new kernel.

I did it guys, I actually did it. :(
I retuned my 8X, im back on my HD7. The constant sim card error was driving me nuts. I was being forced to reboot my phone about 10 times a day to make that error go away. The good news is that I should be getting my replacement delivered next week. For now im on my HD7. Need a new sim to get it to work again. Feels bad man. Another thing, my 8X was starting to peel in the top left corner so I wont have to deal with that.....

Razdek

Banned
Microsoft has always had great relationships with developers but it seems like they're having a hard time getting them to develop for Windows Phone and Windows 8. I'm not sure if it's a case of them not wanting to or their resources are getting stretched from developing for IOS and Android but they need to get the big apps on the platform.

I think when they do the platform will take off but trying to get users from the big two to switch to a weaker ecosystem is going to be a hard sell to many. Ah well, all we can really do is wait and see how it plays out and I'm rooting for them to do well.

accx

Reading through this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504578

I started thinking about the lumia 920 and i wanted to ask you guys how music management are handled.
I know you have Zune as an application but i was wondering if drag n drop from explorer are also available?
I've always found any type of "management" application unintuitive and superfluous since i already have my library elegantly sorted.
There's also the issue with some management applications that "destroys" id3-tags and in case of itunes it rarely likes syncing from more than one computer (i have several computers all with the same library).

MCD

Reading through this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504578

I started thinking about the lumia 920 and i wanted to ask you guys how music management are handled.
I know you have Zune as an application but i was wondering if drag n drop from explorer are also available?
I've always found any type of "management" application unintuitive and superfluous since i already have my library elegantly sorted.
There's also the issue with some management applications that "destroys" id3-tags and in case of itunes it rarely likes syncing from more than one computer (i have several computers all with the same library).

Zune is dead.

You have two options:

Drag and drop

Windows Phone Desktop sync tool

Pick your poison

Zune is dead.

You have two options:

Drag and drop

Pick your poison

Well, they said they like not having to deal with a syncing program and prefer to drag and drop.

So yes, you can drag and drop. Connecting a 920 to your computer prompts you to download the syncing client, but it's not necessary to do so. The phone shows up like any external drive, and has five default folders, "Documents," "Music," "Pictures," "Ringtones," and "Video." You can place your music in the Music folder and it will be playable on your phone.

So I've had a Droid X for about two years (started to hate it towards the end), then picked up a HTC Trophy to play around for about a year or so until Verizon got some new WPs in. I've been itching to upgrade for awhile but after seeing the 8X and the 822...I feel a little underwhelmed. I love the look and feel of the 8X but the price and specs are really turning me off (I feel ugly at the thought of paying $200 for a dual-core, non-expandable, non-replaceable battery phone).

I am guilty in wanting the famous Lumia 920 and do feel a bit bitter about it being carrier exclusive. I feel that M$ really dropped the ball with WP8. They had a great chance to get as many different phones to as many carries as possible but they still went for that carrier exclusive crap. While the ATIV S does look interesting, I don't have any hype for it.

At the moment my choices are the SG Note II, 8X, wait for the ATIV S, or wait and see what that new BB10 phone has in store. My top choices at this time are the SG N2 and BB10 but idk. I really wanted to have a new windows phone but I am not feeling it.

Troll

Banned
So I've had a Droid X for about two years (started to hate it towards the end), then picked up a HTC Trophy to play around for about a year or so until Verizon got some new WPs in. I've been itching to upgrade for awhile but after seeing the 8X and the 822...I feel a little underwhelmed. I love the look and feel of the 8X but the price and specs are really turning me off (I feel ugly at the thought of paying $200 for a dual-core, non-expandable, non-replaceable battery phone).

I am guilty in wanting the famous Lumia 920 and do feel a bit bitter about it being carrier exclusive. I feel that M$ really dropped the ball with WP8. They had a great chance to get as many different phones to as many carries as possible but they still went for that carrier exclusive crap. While the ATIV S does look interesting, I don't have any hype for it.

At the moment my choices are the SG Note II, 8X, wait for the ATIV S, or wait and see what that new BB10 phone has in store. My top choices at this time are the SG N2 and BB10 but idk. I really wanted to have a new windows phone but I am not feeling it.

Jump ship to ATT and get the 920.

Either that or get the 8x, it's a nice phone and honestly the dual core processor is great in it.

Jump ship to ATT and get the 920.

Either that or get the 8x, it's a nice phone and honestly the dual core processor is great in it.

Naw, I wont jump to ATT. I am too happy with Verizon and I get a discount with them because of the hospital I work at.

I like the 8x when I gave it a test drive at the Verizon store but it feels like it is missing something.

To anyone that had an Verizon 8x, how is the battery life on it?

accx

Zune is dead.

You have two options:

Drag and drop

Pick your poison

Well, they said they like not having to deal with a syncing program and prefer to drag and drop.

So yes, you can drag and drop. Connecting a 920 to your computer prompts you to download the syncing client, but it's not necessary to do so. The phone shows up like any external drive, and has five default folders, "Documents," "Music," "Pictures," "Ringtones," and "Video." You can place your music in the Music folder and it will be playable on your phone.

Great, thanks for the info!

Troll

Banned
Naw, I wont jump to ATT. I am too happy with Verizon and I get a discount with them because of the hospital I work at.

I like the 8x when I gave it a test drive at the Verizon store but it feels like it is missing something.

To anyone that had an Verizon 8x, how is the battery life on it?

Battery life on it is fine, should last a day at work.. well depending on your shifts at the hospital and how much you use it. I have friends that work at hospitals and they can be gone for 14 hours. They don't use their phones much but still.

What apps do you use?

Battery life on it is fine, should last a day at work.. well depending on your shifts at the hospital and how much you use it. I have friends that work at hospitals and they can be gone for 14 hours. They don't use their phones much but still.

What apps do you use?

I see. I do 8-hr shifts and most of the time I wont use my phone that much. However, I do take on graveyard shifts from time to time for extra money. During those time, I use my phone quite frequently.

At the moment, I just use Facebook, Twitter, Amazon Mobile, 9Gag, Youtube, and various games when I am trying to kill time. If I were to get a WP8, I probably would use Skype alot more and play around with the apps I am not able to access on my Trophy.

"M$" has no control over that. They don't decide which carrier gets which phone.

Troll

Banned
I see. I do 8-hr shifts and most of the time I wont use my phone that much. However, I do take on graveyard shifts from time to time for extra money. During those time, I use my phone quite frequently.

At the moment, I just use Facebook, Twitter, Amazon Mobile, 9Gag, Youtube, and various games when I am trying to kill time. If I were to get a WP8, I probably would use Skype alot more and play around with the apps I am not able to access on my Trophy.

Then you should be fine. You didn't use the "I" word, so that's good.

It's carrier exclusive because Nokia wants At&t to subsidize and promote it. If you don't feel excited about Windows Phone then you probably be better off with Note 2.

Troll

Banned
It's carrier exclusive because Nokia wants At&t to subsidize and promote it. If you don't feel excited about Windows Phone then you probably be better off with Note 2.

I've been playing around with a Galaxy S III a lot lately, I don't get what the appeal is personally. If I had to go to another platform it would have to be iOS but even that's boring with owning an iPad.

Who the hell cares what the reason is?

Fact is, they're late. Again.
Fact is, hardware partners are complaining. Again.

I already mentioned it in the Surface thread, Windows Phone is basically a year or two late.

In a, at least for MS, perfect world this would've been the schedule:

2008 Windows Phone 7 RTM
2009 Windows Phone 7.5
2010 Windows Phone 8
2011 Windows Phone 8.5
2012 Windows Phone 9

It would've started the same year as Android, just one year after the iPhone and it would've clearly been better than Android or iPhone OS 2.0. But even when you consider the slowness of a huge company like that, they should at least be on 8.5 at this point.

But that's just me and I'm competing with Paul Thurrot when it comes to bitterness and cynicism, so I could be wrong.

Troll

Banned
Who the hell cares what the reason is?

Fact is, they're late. Again.
Fact is, hardware partners are complaining. Again.

I already mentioned it in the Surface thread, Windows Phone is basically a year or two late.

In a, at least for MS, perfect world this would've been the schedule:

2008 Windows Phone 7 RTM
2009 Windows Phone 7.5
2010 Windows Phone 8
2011 Windows Phone 8.5
2012 Windows Phone 9

It would've started the same year as Android, just one year after the iPhone and it would've clearly been better than Android or iPhone OS 2.0. But even when you consider the slowness of a huge company like that, they should at least be on 8.5 at this point.

But that's just me and I'm competing with Paul Thurrot when it comes to bitterness and cynicism, so I could be wrong.

Should be at least on 8.5 at this point? We don't even know what that is, for all we know it's just a new way to arrange the tiles.

We all know WP is late. It's been brought up over and over and over again.

For good reason. Everything that you put down is more or less true, I think the bigger question that we need to ask. Will it change? Is being a full step behind the competition something Microsoft somehow doesn't see a problem with? To answer these questions you would have to better understand how WP8 came to be, it's important.

Microsoft needed to get this out before the holiday season for obvious reasons. By creating the new kernal Microsoft decided that they had to sacrifice features on release for better specs on the hardware. Now that they have set the foundation, how fast can they build? It had better be pretty damn fast. No one is waiting for them, this isn't a gentleman's game and Microsoft needs to understand that. If they truly do, we will see updates fast and frequently. The good news is I know for a fact that there are coders working tirelessly on exactly the things we are complaining about. Now it's just up to MS to execute.

I believe they will. From what I've heard things are going to be really interesting in the next few months. With that said, I'm not willing to wait much longer. If there's still no end in site around the summer of next year I won't be able to give them the benefit of the doubt.

"M$" has no control over that. They don't decide which carrier gets which phone.

I understand that part. However, given M$'s position in the market, wouldnt have been better to get more phones out to as many carriers as possible? Ignoring the Lumia 920 exclusivity, Verizon only got two new W8 phones (technically three but the other one got delayed). I think that is pretty bull considering they have had only one phone before that. But then again, I do understand Verizon's hesitation to support WPs. I just feel that there were not many WP8 devices to go around. I guess I just want more options?

I love how integrated things are into the OS of WP. However, I just have a hard time spending alot of money on a so-so spec phone (yes, I know the specs are decent but when compared to the advances to the other mobile platforms, meh) since I will be having it for 2-years. I know it sounds like a stupid reason but its the one I have. I know that second-gen WP8 devices will come next year but jeez am I tired of waiting. I want to love the new phones since I LOVE the OS but I just dont feel it. Overall, I feel like M$ is still dragging their feet on WP8.

As for the SG NII, I just love the speed and battery life on the device. But, I still have a bad taste in my mouth about Android because of my Droid X (but, to my understanding, Android devices have gotten MUCH better since then). Although, Google Music does seem nice since I could upload my library and stream for free.

lol sorry for all that bitching.

Then you should be fine. You didn't use the "I" word, so that's good.

LOL the "I" word. Naw, I have no need for that app.

I've always wondered why people use M$ so much that there exist certains forums that automagically filter M$ into MS.

One of the things I know is that MS has so much money right now, that it's probably not a problem for WP to bleed cash. Anything to make WP happen.

I've always wondered why people use M$ so much that there exist certains forums that automagically filter M$ into MS.

One of the things I know is that MS has so much money right now, that it's probably not a problem for WP to bleed cash. Anything to make WP happen.

No. There has to be a line drawn. You can't throw money in a bottomless pit, no matter how much money you have. And it's now like MS has ''so much money'' right now. Windows Phone 8 hasn't impressed so far (sales wise) and Windows 8 has disappointed. While MS might have a lot of money, you bet they're worried about how to spend that.

I don't really know what Microsoft tries to achieve with Windows Phone. If people want a closed off system that 'just works', they go for iPhone and if people want an open platform they go for Android. I've seen people with windows phones in the wild, but most of them were lumia's so my first guess would be that they cought them for the looks.

I understand that part. However, given M$'s position in the market, wouldnt have been better to get more phones out to as many carriers as possible? Ignoring the Lumia 920 exclusivity, Verizon only got two new W8 phones (technically three but the other one got delayed). I think that is pretty bull considering they have had only one phone before that. But then again, I do understand Verizon's hesitation to support WPs. I just feel that there were not many WP8 devices to go around. I guess I just want more options?

I love how integrated things are into the OS of WP. However, I just have a hard time spending alot of money on a so-so spec phone (yes, I know the specs are decent but when compared to the advances to the other mobile platforms, meh) since I will be having it for 2-years. I know it sounds like a stupid reason but its the one I have. I know that second-gen WP8 devices will come next year but jeez am I tired of waiting. I want to love the new phones since I LOVE the OS but I just dont feel it. Overall, I feel like M$ is still dragging their feet on WP8.

As for the SG NII, I just love the speed and battery life on the device. But, I still have a bad taste in my mouth about Android because of my Droid X (but, to my understanding, Android devices have gotten MUCH better since then). Although, Google Music does seem nice since I could upload my library and stream for free.

lol sorry for all that bitching.

LOL the "I" word. Naw, I have no need for that app.
Umm, Microsoft doesn't make any of these phones.

No. There has to be a line drawn. You can't throw money in a bottomless pit, no matter how much money you have. And it's now like MS has ''so much money'' right now. Windows Phone 8 hasn't impressed so far (sales wise) and Windows 8 has disappointed. While MS might have a lot of money, you bet they're worried about how to spend that.

I don't really know what Microsoft tries to achieve with Windows Phone. If people want a closed off system that 'just works', they go for iPhone and if people want an open platform they go for Android. I've seen people with windows phones in the wild, but most of them were lumia's so my first guess would be that they cought them for the looks.

I wonder...

I suppose there is supposed to be a line drawn somewhere, but given that they haven't given up after years of languishing...

Well, the companies that make the phones control stuff like this, not Microsoft

You are correct that it is ultimately up to OEM manufactures and carries if they want to invest in WP8. However, it is up to MS to showcase their phone OS to OEM manufactures to entice them to make phones for WP8. Same goes for carriers. If the way they present to them is ANYTHING like their developer conferences...oh lord (so awful).

There seems to be a lack of confidence in WP8 with carries and OEMs.

PG2G

I don't know that there is a line. Sit back and imagine the future of Microsoft if they can't get any traction in mobile (both tablet and phone).

I feel like Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are do tightly coupled (and will be moreso in the future) that success for one will drive success for the other. If Microsoft can't grow in market share, their business is pretty much screwed outside of Office and Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom