• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

I wonder what the holdup is for these other carriers? Its almost a reverse of the Android situation in the past. Europe first, NA later.

Fjolle

The new firmware and OS are on Nokia server along with flashing tool if you don't want to wait for them to test on the rest of the carriers. I think it is better option than back in NoDo day. I don't disagree that it sucks to have to wait but I gladly manually updated all my At&t phones for 7.5 for the past few years.

Not having game saves back up to the cloud is shotty but that is on Microsoft. I think you might be better off with different phone with all the trouble you been having. I haven't have any battery issue or frequent reboots just occasional crash and the Bluetooth bug.

I was sure that i read yesterday that the update wasn't on Navifirm for unbranded phones.

Wait, why are we blaming Nokia for the no update till February thingy again? Shouldn't we be blaming the carriers? I bet Nokia would have loved to update all at once.

No. MS (and Nokia) promished that they would stop this carrier bullshit. Also they promished that enthusiasts would get access to updates before the public. None of this apparently happened.

Also the unbranded phones shouldn't have any problems with carriers.

Release it early January. That's all I ask.

I read that Feb is the tentative place holder date, so may be they will get it out sooner. I am not sure what is the delay, only thing I can think of is the various 4G used by different carriers. On At&t, Nokia only have to test one LTE, and isn't international one cover all the different 4G bands? (I could be wrong since I don't really pay much attention to various 4G implementation).

Again, I think the blame is on Microsoft as they finish up the OS so late. There are flurry of updates on all the apps, even the barely release ATIV S have bunch of system updates.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone on WP8 getting update issues? The WP Store won't list available updates, this started happening a few days ago :\.

For example there's some new updates for the Lumia 920 regarding screen brightness settings, can't see those at all, because the store won't show any available updates. Also went to some apps in the store that I own and they had an update available.

Is this something Microsoft's goofed up in the past week or what? Does WP8 have some interval during which it checks for updates? Any way to force the phone to check?

Edit: Now a friend is having issues too, her phone's showing up as "MTP Device" on every computer, wheras mine shows up as "Lumia 920". No idea as to why this is happening, though she may have a faulty phone to begin with as her mobile internet network dies frequently for no good reason.

EDIT #2: Wtf. Plugged it into an XP computer, then back into her Win7, now her computer recognizes it without issue.

MICROSOFT..!

Anyone on WP8 getting update issues? The WP Store won't list available updates, this started happening a few days ago :\.

For example there's some new updates for the Lumia 920 regarding screen brightness settings, can't see those at all, because the store won't show any available updates. Also went to some apps in the store that I own and they had an update available.

Is this something Microsoft's goofed up in the past week or what? Does WP8 have some interval during which it checks for updates? Any way to force the phone to check?

MICROSOFT..!

Those system update get roll out I think in waves. You can force update on the apps by try downloading them again and it would ask you to update.

Edit: Now a friend is having issues too, her phone's showing up as "MTP Device" on every computer, wheras mine shows up as "Lumia 920". No idea as to why this is happening, though she may have a faulty phone to begin with as her mobile internet network dies frequently for no good reason.

EDIT #2: Wtf. Plugged it into an XP computer, then back into her Win7, now her computer recognizes it without issue.

MICROSOFT..!

As was said, updates roll out at different stages for apps. I was in the same boat as you--reading WP Central, hearing about all the Nokia apps that updates were rolling out for. However, I didn't get any notification from the Store about them until yesterday, when it told me that 8 apps were suddenly ready to update.

Nothing wrong with your phone--just how the rollouts work.

MICROSOFT..!

This is a PC driver issue probably (but just guessing). Our phones are using the MTP protocol/standard (I dunno what it is).

kharma45

Anyone know why two versions of Fruit Ninja appear in the store?

Z4I8k.jpg

both are published by Microsoft and are the same version number. Top one has the Xbox Live branding and was published in 2011, the bottom doesn't have Live branding but was published in 2012 and has a Live Tile. It's also 6MB larger at 25MB too.

any ideas?

Anyone know why two versions of Fruit Ninja appear in the store?

both are published by Microsoft and are the same version number. Top one has the Xbox Live branding and was published in 2011, the bottom doesn't have Live branding but was published in 2012 and has a Live Tile. It's also 6MB larger at 25MB too.

any ideas?
May be for market that doesn't support Live.

Talking about game PacMan CE is now only 99 cents. One of the best PacMan game on Xbox and Windows Phone version is great.

Also who cab I write to get Dodopachi on Windows Phone 8 to work.

Just realized that Zombie Dice is out on Windows Phone! It's an easy to learn, play against the odds dice game. It's 99 cents and worth checking out in my opinion.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Graargh!

I'm struggling to find a competent podcast app. Minimum requirements:

- searching for podcasts
- subscribing to podcasts
- downloading for offline use, reliable

desired features

- automatic download of new episodes
- homescreen cover art
- pinning a podcast

any suggestions?

This is a PC driver issue probably (but just guessing). Our phones are using the MTP protocol/standard (I dunno what it is).

MTP (Media Transport Protocol) was introduced in Windows Media Player awhile back as a way to transfer media to portable media player devices. Android adopted MTP a year ago starting with 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and deprecated USB Mass Storage because taking the SD card entirely offline to give the computer control of it tended to break apps that were installed to it and it really messed things up if an app was busy looking at the SD card when it vanished from the directory structure. Windows Phone is probably doing it for the same reason, using MTP allows the OS to keep the local storage online for the phone but the computer can still see it and move files to and from it.

Haklong

Graargh!

I'm struggling to find a competent podcast app. Minimum requirements:

- searching for podcasts
- subscribing to podcasts
- downloading for offline use, reliable

desired features

- automatic download of new episodes
- homescreen cover art
- pinning a podcast

any suggestions?

Built in app can do all of what you're asking. Go to the store, then podcast, then search. Choose the one you want and edit the subscription to how many episodes you want it to download (which is up to 5 or all). When a new episode shows up it will download the latest one on its own. From xbox music you can pin podcast to your homescreen.

kharma45

Built in app can do all of what you're asking. Go to the store, then podcast, then search. Choose the one you want and edit the subscription to how many episodes you want it to download (which is up to 5 or all). When a new episode shows up it will download the latest one on its own. From xbox music you can pin podcast to your homescreen.

US only though.

Anyone use Go Payments?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/21/3791096/intuit-gopayment-drops-windows-phone-support
Edit: And this is why I don't read comments on The Verge's Windows Phone articles. They may be great for news, but their community is a bunch of crying children. "BuuBuut Google said this...BuuBuut Apple said this...BuuBuut Microsoft said this..."

toyota is the first auto maker to include Qi charging, hopefully it catches on fast

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/19/toyota-2013-avalon-limited-packs-qi-wireless-charging/

toyota-avalon-limited-wireless-charging.jpg
Awesome, I hope the others follow suit. Now we just have to wait a few years time for the pricing to come down.

H3xum

Question regarding firmware

A few of my coworkers went to Microsofts Build conference this year and with that they received the dev unlocked 920s. One guy doesn't use his and has it sitting around the office. I've been messing with it the last few days but everything is whacky with it. We have a microcell in the office where it should connect 4G, but it says 3G. When you take it off of the cell its H with no data. It doesn't receive any updates as I assume that's related to it not having a carrier.

Anyway, long story but is there a way to get maybe ATT's firmware on here or toggle some magical options to get this to be a functional phone? It's mine if we can figure it out!

hwalker84

Anyone use Go Payments?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/21/3791096/intuit-gopayment-drops-windows-phone-support

Edit: And this is why I don't read comments on The Verge's Windows Phone articles. They may be great for news, but their community is a bunch of crying children. "BuuBuut Google said this...BuuBuut Apple said this...BuuBuut Microsoft said this..."

Awesome, I hope the others follow suit. Now we just have to wait a few years time for the pricing to come down.

All I want it a Qi charger that looks like this

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone use Go Payments?

Go payments can Go Fuck Themselves.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to the Amiga of mobile OS. (RIM can be the Atari). I thought that we would get more dev with Windows 8 but it seems the dev are leaving and abandoning Windows s Phone. :-(

Dammit, I wanna be C64 of the mobile OS world. There have been some nice app additions. RBC is supposed to be bringing a banking app soon, which will be nice for Canada.

Dammit, I wanna be C64 of the mobile OS world. There have been some nice app additions. RBC is supposed to be bringing a banking app soon, which will be nice for Canada.
C64 is like Windows Mobile! I thought Mint was coming to WP, if they drop this why would they develops Mint for WP8.

I remember when Amiga got WordPerfect and I thought we made it and we will be viable 3rd option, boys was I wrong. At least Microsoft have tons of cash but Balmer seems to waste a lot of it on shitty companies.

UberTag

Just upgraded from my perpetually overheating LG Optimus 7 to a brand new shiny Samsung ATIV S handset.
Will be nice to actually take advantage of my phone's full smartphone functionality without babying it for fear of it shutting down.

Just upgraded from my perpetually overheating LG Optimus 7 to a brand new shiny Samsung ATIV S handset.
Will be nice to actually take advantage of my phone's full smartphone functionality without babying it for fear of it shutting down.
Post some pic and let us know how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom