• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do I go to see where people have looked at my rando? I can see the last rando I got, but I don't see a place where I can look at where my photos went.

On Android I usually got a notification with the place where my last Rando went. Maybe it's the same on WP and you get a toast?

I had it the day I posted it here (before it was announced) and I didn't even notice it. If you want it so bad, change your search location to US.

Isn't that go for anything Microsoft related here. Only Microsoft is evil, if Google or Sony doing similar thing are just protecting their properties and doing the right thing.

Considering what MS has been futilely trying to do to Google, messing with their Youtube access seems like a pretty mild response.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This may sound weird, but I think Whatsapp loads a bit faster since the Amber update (or maybe it's because of the latest Whatsapp updates, who knows).

Pretty sure I'm getting my 1020 today! :D

Any advice to new users? What apps are essential for download? Any tips to not feel lost switching from Android and IOS to Windows Phone?

Also, question, do purchases made on the Windows 8 Store cross buy with Windows Phone 8? I bought Spartan Assault on my Desktop, can I download for free on my 1020?

I'm so excited. My only concern is the 16 GB storage space, hope that's enough for me! :p

kharma45

Any advice to new users? What apps are essential for download? Any tips to not feel lost switching from Android and IOS to Windows Phone?

Also, question, do purchases made on the Windows 8 Store cross buy with Windows Phone 8? I bought Spartan Assault on my Desktop, can I download for free on my 1020?

I'm so excited. My only concern is the 16 GB storage space, hope that's enough for me! :p

The 1020 is 32GB, no?

Na no apps do the cross buy thing at present, and I doubt they ever will. Depends on what apps you need, for something like YouTube look to MetroTube and MyTube.

Milchjon

It's usually a good first step to get everything from the Nokia Collection.

Everything from Rudy Huyn is great, especially his Wikipedia and Vine apps (the latter is called 6sec). He also has a Instagram app coming out soon that seems to be everything you could wish for.

Nokia also has a suggestion app, and I think MS has a (slightly depressing) thing that suggests alternatives to switchers.

Also, the store search can be a bit fickle sometimes. Try different terms and follow blogs/GAF in order to not miss anything.

And be prepared to come across some idiosyncrasies that will make you shake your head ;-)

hadareud

The Translator
Btw, I've a very strong feeling that we're not going to see the successor of the 920 this year. Not until the launch of blue in February or so.

Loving the phone so far except for a few things.

The keyboard for typing is a little small, holding it horizontally, it only uses like 50% of the screen size.

Also, the font used for NeoGAF posting is kind of... Ugly. :p

Mostly everything else are just personal problems, like trying to swipe the screen down to view notifications and not knowing to to navigate yet. :p

Loving the phone though, seriously.

EDIT: How do I screen cap my screen?

Yeah GDR3 is more relevant to new hardware than Blue is.

debatable.

The keyboard for typing is a little small, holding it horizontally, it only uses like 50% of the screen size.
Mostly everything else are just personal problems, like trying to swipe the screen down to view notifications and not knowing to to navigate yet. :p

Keyboard: The typing area is a little bit bigger on letters that the keyboard expects you will hit, so typing isn't an exact science. You'll get used to it after a while and become a pro.

Navigation: Long Hold on the back button to go back to recent apps. Never forget it!

You can swipe away notifications. The three dots on menus can be either tapped or swiped upwards. For navigating around town in a new place, pin your hotel/home to the start screen. It helps to navigate to a location easily. I do this all the time if friends want to go to dinner at a new place. Pin early on in the day for later.

debatable.

Stahp!

SPILL IT

Keyboard: The typing area is a little bit bigger on letters that the keyboard expects you will hit, so typing isn't an exact science. You'll get used to it after a while and become a pro.

Still trying to explain this to my Father every time typing on his phone comes up in conversation, but his stubbornness just won't trust the keyboard software to do its thing.

Hardware changes that existing users can't give a shit about vs software changes that we asked for since WP8 launched.

I was talking about new hardware. My point being that there will definitely be new hardware this fall specifically because of the new hardware things GDR3 will allow.

Obviously as an existing user that isn't going to upgrade my hardware for a while, I'm much more excited about getting Blue on my phone than GDR3.

Loving the phone so far except for a few things.

Also, the font used for NeoGAF posting is kind of... Ugly. :p

Loving the phone though, seriously.

EDIT: How do I screen cap my screen?

Power and Windows buttons.

NeOak

I was talking about new hardware. My point being that there will definitely be new hardware this fall specifically because of the new hardware things GDR3 will allow.

Obviously as an existing user that isn't going to upgrade my hardware for a while, I'm much more excited about getting Blue on my phone than GDR3.

I'm excited while still waiting for GDR2 and Amber on my AT&T 920 D:

Still installing apps on my new 1020, I remember discussions on here before talking about a third party Youtube app that let you download videos to watch later, is that MyTube or MetroTube?

EDIT: Also what's the best music player? Nokia Music or some other app?

EDIT 2: Also how would I go by making playlists on my phone with Nokia Music? All I see on the playlist tab is "There's nothing here - connect your phone to your PC to transfer music back and forth.". I already put some songs on my phone, just stuck on arranging them into playlists.

Sorry for all the questions guys.

flippedb

Banned
Still installing apps on my new 1020, I remember discussions on here before talking about a third party Youtube app that let you download videos to watch later, is that MyTube or MetroTube?

EDIT: Also what's the best music player? Nokia Music or some other app?

MetroTube is the best Youtube app, hands down.

So I just accidently opened up my wallet app and holy crap, Rogers now allows you to charge your bill for apps and music purchases. Oh also, I now can charge stuff to my Microsoft Account (I Have 0.58$ from the 360 currency switch.) But really the big thing is now Rogers seems to be getting off their asses and is doing something about mobile payments (however basic).

True. Microsoft are still the big evil guy I guess to a lot of people.

Microsoft really needs to do an ad campaign designed to improve self-image. It does get annoying listening to people who think that 90's Microsoft is current day Microsoft.

edit: oops, forgot to copy/paste into last past

Sorry for all the questions guys.

Both of them allow you to do that. I personally use MyTube because it takes advantage of the background audio APIs so you can listen to the videos audio when navigating the app or in another app and you can also tell a video to play audio only.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It sold out. That little phone may be the best bargain in the history of smartphones. I'm pretty certain Nokia is taking a hit on each one they sell.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah GDR3 is more relevant to new hardware than Blue is.

GDR3 says hi

Nah, it's not just about GDR3 enabling new chipsets and higher resolution.

So far Nokia, intentionally or not, have leaked pretty much every new phone well in advance. And when it wasn't leaked, it was at least strongly rumoured.

I think we'll see the phablet, a successor to the 820 and perhaps a successor to the 720 this year and a new 9 series phone with Blue.

I can see the logic behind it, too. Of course I'd prefer it if they released a new true flagship this year because I want one, but to stagger the releases and to make use of the steam that Blue will generate is probably the smart thing to do.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Nokia Play 360 and Play 360 JBL (newer version I guess) are on sale at Amazon.com. Anybody recommend these or have experience with either?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom