• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

Before we head over to the AT&T store, wondering if anyone here has recommendations.

My wife dropped her 920 for the n'th time and after no damage for n-1 drops, the n'th completely shattered the screen. Right now it's literally being held together with packing tape over the front, which is working surprisingly well :p

She's only had the phone since December-ish so we're not eligible for a contract replacement. Any recommendations here? Reliable 3rd-party repairs or something?

Replacing it with a cheap phone until the contract is up for renewal is one possible move but the camera is the most important part of the phone to her :-/

Is it just me or is Spartan Assault not that good? Like, twin stick shooters can be fun on a touch screen. Age of Zombies and even Gun Bros are fun on iOS. But limiting ammo in Spartan Assault kills it. The main way you aim in these games is just by shooting constantly and moving your stream of death over the enemies. Every time you take your finger off of the shoot "button" you have to deal with that half-second of "ok, where is my thumb in relation to the center of the virtual control, which way do I have to move it to hit the enemies?" Limiting ammo makes you try to limit your shots, so you're constantly picking your thumb up off of the shoot control and repositioning. That just amplifies any problems in your touch controls.

hankster

My wife's t-mo 521 just got a big update. Doesn't say Amber under About but it now has datasense. It's nice. And the at&t delay is likely due to stripping out datasense and who knows what else. Your premier carrier in action.

My wife's t-mo 521 just got a big update. Doesn't say Amber under About but it now has datasense. It's nice. And the at&t delay is likely due to stripping out datasense and who knows what else. Your premier carrier in action.

Yeah to no one's surprise I've heard that AT&T has gimped data sense.

ATT just lost their Starbucks contract to Google.

Google continues to lay down their own fiber and I believe their end game is to eventually provide their own wireless service and cut out the carriers all together.

That said, how long before there's a riff between the carriers and Google?

ATT needs to get AIO Wireless into more markets and hopefully the 620 will be as much of a hit as the 520/521.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
my boss replaced his screen, but I don't remember how. I think he bought it for like 20$ online

It was $180 for the official Nokia screen repair last December, I don't know if its come down in price since then. Its a third party cell phone repair company, I can dig up my old records if anyone is interested, they did a good job on mine.

The at&t 520 came with amber pre-installed. But yeah, I don't know what the issue is with the 920 and amber on at&t.

http://www.aiowireless.com/shop/smartphones.html

att's contract free brand is selling the 620 for $99. amazing deal and I'm thinking about upgrading my gf's hd7 for one.

Says that you have to select a plan to buy the phone.

Yeah to no one's surprise I've heard that AT&T has gimped data sense.

Gimped? Its simply not there!

GImped as in how? Like will it not track data usage? or will it not use the IE Servers?

Not sure, I think it was like limited options/features of what the app will actually share with you.

Do carriers not want users to have easy access to how they're using their data simply because if they don't they are more likely to go over their data plans and they can charge you for it? Or do they have actual reasons?

Not sure, I think it was like limited options/features of what the app will actually share with you.

Do carriers not want users to have easy access to how they're using their simply because if they don't they are more likely to go over their data plans and they can charge you for it? Or do they have actual reasons?

No, you nailed it. Carriers love nickle and diming people for every small reason. There is a reason they consistently have low reputation in general.

Can you imagine the thread we have if it was the other way around? There would be call for monopoly investigation into Microsoft practice.

The most hilarious thing is that MS tried so hard to get the US and EU to go after Google for antitrust because of possibly favoring search results. The US and EU looked around, were like "LOL NO", and closed their investigations after giving Google what was essentially a slap on the wrist.

I mean, this is the MS which controls over 90% of the world's desktop PCs, and they actually thought they could get Google for possibly favoring search results? It was so blatant and dumb that I didn't even want to believe the US and EU would waste time and taxpayer money investigating it.

MCD

The Nokia Play 360 and Play 360 JBL (newer version I guess) are on sale at Amazon.com. Anybody recommend these or have experience with either?

Play 360 = better treble. louder and you can remove batteries and make it work like a dersktop speakers by plugging it to he wall.

JBL = a bit quieter but with more bass. Won't work without batteries and will always go to sleep mode and disconnect after a period of time to save on power which is a big pain in the ass for systems like the Vita which go to sleep often.

Yeah, the Play 360 by Nokia is better but I had 2 bad units that I had to replace so my initial impressions were not good.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Do carriers not want users to have easy access to how they're using their data simply because if they don't they are more likely to go over their data plans and they can charge you for it? Or do they have actual reasons?

Well, at&t already has a pretty nice app that you can use to track your usage, and it comes preloaded in all their phones. They also send you text and email alerts when you are nearing your limits. I have no idea what the reasons for blocking data sense are, but I don't think its to trick you into going past your data allowance, although I'm sure they don't mind if you do.

SirSimba1

Banned
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a 521 that sends weird off colored pics when sent through text messages. The strange thing is it saves everything fine to Skydrive and posts everything to Facebook just fine. Any advice? Also, to some of the previous posters, how did you clean off enough room on the phone fore the update? I am 300mb short. :( Thanks in advance and for your all your helpful posts!

Milchjon

The Moto X thread is the antithesis of an Android phone thread
KuGsj.gif

Looks like there's more to this phone that shouldn't be talked about than there is to be talked about.

Got to test my Lumia's 1020's battery life today, went on a 8 hour road trip to Idaho today. The 1020 didn't die that whole trip! Used it all 8 hours to take pictures, listen to music, and browse websites. Much better than my Galaxy which dies after 2 hours of use.

I'm seriously loving this phone!

flippedb

Banned
I went to a club on Friday and snapped a couple pictures with my 620. Of course, I didn't expect anything incredible, but I got really bummed when I saw how they looked Completely washed out, specially on the lower left corner. Today I was checking my phone and it turns out I hadn't removed the covering film. I removed it and everything was way, way better.

hadareud

The Translator
More and more Amber updates for the 920 are popping up on Navifirm!

Obviously, no EE (or AT&T) though. :(

All the German stuff seems to be up now though, if you care, ze Germans.

Also, the Austrian updates are up as well it seems, Feefmeister.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This is cool:

LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 08/19/13 -- WRITERS GROUP FILM CORP. (OTCQB: WRIT) -- Amiga Games Inc. (AGI), a videogame publisher of classic games for a wide range of smartphones and mobile devices, announced today a co-marketing and distribution agreement with Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT). The agreement will bring between fifty and five hundred classic game titles to Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 through the Windows Store and Windows Phone Store. Microsoft will co-market the release of the gaming titles via Windows.com and Windows Store promotions, Windows social marketing, and Surface Store Picks.

Amiga Games will create special versions of their titles to take advantage of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8's unique features, including live tiles, cross-platform game data sharing, and Snap and Share. In addition, AGI's releases will support Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8.1. Amiga Games plans to deliver the first 50 Windows titles to Microsoft by December of 2013, coinciding with the 2013 Holiday season.

"Microsoft has put a spotlight on mobile gaming and we are very pleased they chose Amiga Games to be a part of their mobile gaming experience," said Eric Mitchell, CEO of Writers Group Film Corp. "Windows 8 and Windows Phone are great platforms for AGI to showcase our best titles."

"We're thrilled that Amiga Games is bringing beloved classic game titles to Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 starting this holiday season," said John Richards, senior director of Windows App Marketing for Microsoft Corp. "Amiga's commitment to take advantage of unique features such as live tiles, Snap and Share will create a fantastic experience for game lovers on both platforms."

On July 8, 2013 Amiga Games Inc. announced that it had entered into an agreement to be acquired by Writers Group Film Corp. (OTCQB: WRIT) a Los Angeles-based content distribution company.

Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements

Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters discussed in this press release are forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those predicted by such forward-looking statements. Investors are cautioned that all forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, including, but not limited to, those discussed in Writers Group Film Corp.'s latest 10-K filed July 14, 2013. The company undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Windows, Windows Phone, Windows Store, Windows Phone Store, Windows 8, and related trademarks and names are the property of Microsoft Corporation and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world. Amiga is the registered trademark of Amiga, Inc. in the U.S. and other territories, Amiga Inc. Trademarks and Software have been licensed to Amiga Games, Inc. for mobile devices under a Software and Trademark License Agreement. All rights reserved. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.

hadareud

The Translator
Phablet. Ugh. Nokia, where is my 4.7" lightweight cyan lumia without huge bezel on the bottom?

It was always going to happen.

I think the positive we can take from it is that we're very likely to see the same camera in the successor of the 920.

Not until next year, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom