• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
This one should be compatible with the Lumia 920.

PFcgJ.jpg

Cyan, too.

UberTag

Just upgraded from my perpetually overheating LG Optimus 7 to a brand new shiny Samsung ATIV S handset.
Will be nice to actually take advantage of my phone's full smartphone functionality without babying it for fear of it shutting down.
Post some pic and let us know how it is.
Don't have much to say about it right now. Initial impressions...

1) The bigass Super AMOLED screen positively dwarfs the one on my old LG.
2) The Win8 OS upgrades are highly welcomed.
3) I'm no longer stuck using a phone that shuts itself down after 15 minutes of use.
4) I love how thin the device is.
5) It sucks that a bunch of my purchased Win7 XBL games aren't compatible with it.

That's about it so far.

Sordid

http://i.imgur.com/MFDu2.jpg[img]

[url]http://caveinteractive.com/[/url]
[email]global@cave.co.jp[/email]

cave site has links to their twitter and Facebook. Get to work, let them know you not only want Don Pachi Maximum compatible but also updated for higher res screens. While we are at it, ask them to bring more of their great games over.[/QUOTE]

I would if Nokia would let me buy a sim free cyan 920 in the UK ;_;

Thanks for the heads up, just bought it for 79p. Is this a permanent price? It was £5.49 before :O the regular PacMan version is still £3.99 which is weird though.

A few other games are going cheap just now too: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/promotions/countdown-2013/windows-phone

I am not sure if the reduction is permanent but I think the promotion are part of end of the world, end of the year sale for Xbox.

Pac-Man CE is really fun, I am going to check out the other games in that link thanks.

Razdek

Banned
When they announced the ease of porting from Windows 8/RT apps to WP in June I was excited at the possibility of the trickle down effect it would have. But the Windows 8 store is suffering and also the WP store isn't picking up makes me wonder if devs will ever get on board.

What can Microsoft do to entice developers that aren't already on board? I can't think of any reasons off the top of my head to make WP a priority.

Raistlin

When they announced the ease of porting from Windows 8/RT apps to WP in June I was excited at the possibility of the trickle down effect it would have. But the Windows 8 store is suffering and also the WP store isn't picking up makes me wonder if devs will ever get on board.

What can Microsoft do to entice developers that aren't already on board? I can't think of any reasons off the top of my head to make WP a priority.
Give it some time. Windows 8 just launched, and there's practically no RT units available.

You can't expect it to happen over night.

PG2G

The trickle down has happened, from WP to Windows 8 :p

It is going to take some time for developers that don't already have Microsoft-ecosystem-friendly code bases (i.e. most popular Android and iOS apps) to make their way to Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. It has only been a bit over a month and a half since the WP8 SDK was released, it is also the holidays.

As Windows 8 numbers grow and there are some success stories, things will pick up. Just need to give it a little time

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Exactly ... there's been no wide-scale distribution.

Most RT units are sitting in Microsoft Stores under the name of Surface.
I saw a Vivo Tab RT at best buy the other day, first RT device I have seen in the wild, nice little device. I think i'm going to like the 10.1 screen size, the Samsung ativ 11.6 screen seemed too big to me when I saw it in person. (other windows 8 stuff there were the yoga 13, a couple touchscreen laptops, a hp or dell large touchscreen all in one and that is it I believe).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The flash on the 920 is so bright. I have blinded my wife a few times. The camera is so good, especially after the update. Sad that there is no marketing on TV showing off the low light and video recording capabilities.

Razdek

Banned
The trickle down hask happened, from WP to Windows 8 :p

It is going to take some time for developers that don't already have Microsoft-ecosystem-friendly code bases (i.e. most popular Android and iOS apps) to make their way to Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. It has only been a bit over a month and a half since the WP8 SDK was released, it is also the holidays.

As Windows 8 numbers grow and there are some success stories, things will pick up. Just need to give it a little time

Yea I know I was just expecting more developers to be excited about both platforms and announcements that they're going to put their apps on the platforms. I read that BB10 is going to launch with 70,000 apps and even some of the big ones like Instagram. If they start to get most of the big apps before WP then I'll be really disappointed.

hwalker84

Yea I know I was just expecting more developers to be excited about both platforms and announcements that they're going to put their apps on the platforms. I read that BB10 is going to launch with 70,000 apps and even some of the big ones like Instagram. If they start to get most of the big apps before WP then I'll be really disappointed.

It's looking like the new BB OS will actually be a contender. At least from a speed and functionality perspective. It looks like they let it marinate until it came out swinging.

Razdek

Banned
On another note, one of the IT guys got a demo of an HTC 8X to play with since we're doing an upgrade to Exchange 2010. It felt great in the hand, better than when I had the 920 and playing with WP8 was fun again. Unfortunately I couldn't get the Portico update to put on it to see if it made it better.

f0lken

So Wordament is on iOS now and with Xbox Live achievements, I can hear broktasten coming like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park

Razdek

Banned
It's looking like the new BB OS will actually be a contender. At least from a speed and functionality perspective. It looks like they let it marinate until it came out swinging.

I watched the browser comparison bids with BB10 against WP and iPhone and it was pretty impressive. They even have flash running in their browser and their benchmark was in the 400s. Not too shabby.

PG2G

I was just reading that. I really find that 70,000 app number hard to believe though. Is BB10 compatible with the old BB apps?

thirty

Banned
That's it then, Xbox Live Gaming on iOS and Android. Seriously, Xbox Music, Gaming, will MS have anything exclusive other than Nokia?

Troll

Banned
That's it then, Xbox Live Gaming on iOS and Android. Seriously, Xbox Music, Gaming, will MS have anything exclusive other than Nokia?

Limited selection of apps? Oh, wait. Bb10 launches in February, so they won't even have that for long.

Razdek

Banned

No kidding, why buy a Windows Phone when you can get all of their services (office, music, Xbox live, achievements, sky drive) sooner or later on competing devices that have larger ecosystems.

I am waiting for inevitably Lumia Android. Only thing keeping me on this platform at this point is Nokia hardware.

Microsoft continued to kill their own, how unsurprising.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I am waiting for inevitably Lumia Android. Only thing keeping me on this platform at this point is Nokia hardware.

Microsoft continued to kill their own, how unsurprising.

I really don't get MS sometimes. Why even bother trying to have a competing platform when you continue to give less and less reasons to get one. I know it is just one game, but it just keeps getting worse.

Fuck, at this point they might as well have Halo 4 on the PS3 and WiiU.

Anyways, I will have my 920 for a couple years and we will see what direction this takes. Still love the hardware and the OS even with the faults.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
you guys do realize that you can't build a mainstream service without it being on the majority of computing devices right? Why would you expect Microsoft to limit their services to the 3% market that Windows Phone holds?

Razdek

Banned
you guys do realize that you can't build a mainstream service without it being on the majority of computing devices right? Why would you expect Microsoft to limit their services to the 3% market that Windows Phone holds?

Why not put the resources into your own platform that clearly needs it and when all the gaps get filled then go ahead and put it out for other systems? Why should some buy a WP when they could get an Android or iPhone that has a bigger ecosystem and you can get all of Microsoft's services too as opposed to staying with one that is a lot smaller and missing lots of key apps?

thirty

Banned
Damn, Microsoft Surface Phone will be powered by Android the way things are going.

Seriously, wasn't this "Plan B" for Microsoft? If WP didn't succeed, which it isn't, they'd push their services on competing platforms. Have we really come to that point already?

No wonder carriers, developers, phone makers, etc don't believe in the platform. Microsoft themselves don't believe in the platform.

ok, rant over, I'm going to enjoy my 920.

trinest

Wait, are we back to hating WP again?

The platform is fine and its gaining traction, maybe slow. But its growing.

As for Microsoft stuff appearing on other platforms, expanding the Xbox service seemed to always be their goal since they consolidated their brands into it.

They can put games on other system, but achievement should be exclusively for Microsoft platform.

At a time when Google is limited their service on competing platforms, Microsoft gave less reason for one to stay with Windows eco system, theirs own video service doesn't even work on their own product, I don't know how worst can it be. I stop buying any Xbox video even with my Bing freebie points.

In all seriousness, unless I'm mistaken Wordament was developed by two MS employees in their spare time, it is not a MS developed game, so the decision to make the game for iOS isn't Microsoft's.

At a time when Google is limited their service on competing platforms, Microsoft gave less reason for one to stay with Windows eco system, theirs own video service doesn't even work on their own product, I don't know how worst can it be. I stop buying any Xbox video even with my Bing freebie points.

Google services are still available on WP. You just need to use a browser. Google builds some excellent apps for ios.

It is good to have wide availability of services so that all users of different platforms can benefit. I didn't hear anyone complain when Google made their maps app available for ios.

Google services are still available on WP. You just need to use a browser. Google builds some excellent apps for ios.

It is good to have wide availability of services so that all users of different platforms can benefit. I didn't hear anyone complain when Google made their maps app available for ios.

Google need iOS, I don't know how badly Xbox Live need iOS. I am fine with Microsoft producing Xbox games for iOS and Android because that is where majority of the users are at. My beef with Microsoft is that their own platform is not priority. Xbox Live on Windows Phone have been languish in this zombie state since the launch of Windows Phone.

Google Map was superior on Android device up until now only because Apple kick them off iOS so they have reason to try to keep people using Google map instead of going to Apple or other after all Google is advertising company and search is their primary bread and butter. I don't have issue with Microsoft making Office available on iOS, Mac, Androids just as long as their own platform get top notch treatment but that is usually not the case. Can you imagine iTunes work better on Windows or iTunes video that you purchased doesn't work on iPhone ... same with Google video.

In all seriousness, unless I'm mistaken Wordament was developed by two MS employees in their spare time, it is not a MS developed game, so the decision to make the game for iOS isn't Microsoft's.

Again not the game, they can port that to whatever they want, it's the achievements and Xbox Live if that is confirm to be the case.

I think the real revelation here is that there is apparently an API for accessing Xbox Live and if you use it, you can access Xbox Live on any platform and not just MS sanctioned ones.

I think the real revelation here is that there is apparently an API for accessing Xbox Live and if you use it, you can access Xbox Live on any platform and not just MS sanctioned ones.

Not sure why this is such a revelation, if EA server and UBIsoft server can access Xbox Live why can't other platforms. The caveat if Microsoft will allow it to happen.

maeh2k

People don't really buy phones for exclusive games. It doesn't hurt me as a Windows Phone user if other people can also enjoy wordament. What sets Windows Phone apart from the other OSs aren't the apps but the OS itself and how apps and services are integrated into it.

Microsoft should absolutely make all their services avaiable on every platform. With things like Office and Music it's a no-brainer. Those shouldn't be used to differentiate Windows Phone, but to push Office and Music and for that they should be available everywhere (though I'd rather they didn't release Office on iOS than allow Apple to take a 30% cut on subscriptions they don't deserve).

In the end supporting all platforms and services will set Microsoft apart from Google and Apple. Traditionally Google has also supported every platform since they didn't have any of their own and they still do a good job of offering their services on iOS, but more and more they are only supporting their own stuff. E.g. in search they focus on Youtube, google+, zagat whereas Microsoft plays nice with a lot of services they don't own.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
At this rate, Halo mobile will launch on ios before MS own platform.

The NOVA games are already out on both iOS and Android man.

Edit: Also, still no updates on the Store, what the shit is this? NOT THAT MY UPDATES MATTER, considering I'm going to have to send this sucker in for repair/replacement anyway. I love the phone otherwise, except the Store, it sucks, they need to fix it.

At least allow users to A) Manually check for updates and B) Set the update-check interval.

Next thing you know, "PAY FOR WP8 STORE GOLD, NOW YOU RECEIVE UPDATES THE MOMENT THEY GO LIVE, ALL THIS FOR ONLY 19.99 A MONTH"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom