• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Updates are even worse now on WP8. At least with WP7 we could force the update through June. I was so hopeful when they announced OTA updates at the reveal and thought that meant bypassing carriers only to find out it was the exact same thing.

It was nice being able to do the force trick.

f0lken

So if you activate high contrast mode in ease of use settings the music and video live tile is, well, live with a neat animation why can't we have it in normal mode :(

So yeah, the shade of faded red that Nokia uses when the Glance Screen enters night time mode is pretty awesome when it's coupled with the pitch black screen and dark room.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does data sense let you restrict data for specific apps, or just globally? And if I set it to 'unlimited', can I still set my own manual limit for it to disable mobile data? My son will be PAYG on a 520 and data is cheap (1p per MB) but will come from his credit. But it doesn't expire at the end of each month like the usual prepaid buckets.

Would I be best to pretend it is prepaid/monthly and just set a limit to not burn up his calling credit?

9G710IT.jpg

kPraFFY.gif

JkxbXSr.jpg

xhA1XmX.gif

uX7rpLr.png

GWw6Gfc.gif

MCD

Give GDR2 a shot before sending it back, yeah.

It solved some of the self reboot/freezing issues for me and some others.

hadareud

The Translator
Since you only just started using the phone, I'd give refurbishing the software with the care suite a go, Feef.

It can fix things immediately, no point in waiting for the update and going through pain.

hadareud

The Translator
Moving forward
Aug. 23, 2013

I am writing to let you know that I will retire as CEO of Microsoft within the next 12 months, after a successor is chosen. There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time. My original thoughts on timing would have had my retirement happen in the middle of our transformation to a devices and services company focused on empowering customers in the activities they value most. We need a CEO who will be here longer term for this new direction. You can read the press release on Microsoft News Center.

This is a time of important transformation for Microsoft. Our new Senior Leadership team is amazing. The strategy we have generated is first class. Our new organization, which is centered on functions and engineering areas, is right for the opportunities and challenges ahead.

Microsoft is an amazing place. I love this company. I love the way we helped invent and popularize computing and the PC. I love the bigness and boldness of our bets. I love our people and their talent and our willingness to accept and embrace their range of capabilities, including their quirks. I love the way we embrace and work with other companies to change the world and succeed together. I love the breadth and diversity of our customers, from consumer to enterprise, across industries, countries, and people of all backgrounds and age groups.

I am proud of what we have achieved. We have grown from $7.5 million to nearly $78 billion since I joined Microsoft, and we have grown from employing just over 30 people to almost 100,000. I feel good about playing a role in that success and having committed 100 percent emotionally all the way. We have more than 1 billion users and earn a great profit for our shareholders. We have delivered more profit and cash return to shareholders than virtually any other company in history.

I am excited by our mission of empowering the world and believe in our future success. I cherish my Microsoft ownership, and look forward to continuing as one of Microsoft’s largest owners.

This is an emotional and difficult thing for me to do. I take this step in the best interests of the company I love; it is the thing outside of my family and closest friends that matters to me most.

Microsoft has all its best days ahead. Know you are part of the best team in the industry and have the right technology assets. We cannot and will not miss a beat in these transitions. I am focused and driving hard and know I can count on all of you to do the same. Let’s do ourselves proud.

Steve

Totakeke

If anything letting him have 12 months signals a transition more than anything. Doubt we'll see any visionary types taking the position.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know, I think it's simply the fact that finding the right person for a role that big shouldn't be taken on a whim.

12 months is something to work with, it might be quicker anyway.

I would say the company's mid-term future is pretty much sealed anyway, it's all about the execution. Long term, who knows.

hadareud

The Translator
I see our favourite financial analyst on GAF can already see the future and knows what's best going forward. .

I wouldn't be surprised if they offered him the job.

Totakeke

They need a strong hand that won't get calls to be ousted before any changes can be made. You know analysts will be asking for his head within 1-3 years regardless of what happens.

How funny would it be if they'd bring in some external guy that kills the last few likable MS products, because they aren't business enough.

Kinda how Leo Apotheker tried to kill HP and definitely killed HP Palm.

Totakeke

Well Leo was a stupid move concocted by an even messier board who couldn't even agree if he should be hired and then gave him free reign for a while to do stuff.

JaggedSac

How funny would it be if they'd bring in some external guy that kills the last few likable MS products, because they aren't business enough.

Kinda how Leo Apotheker tried to kill HP and definitely killed HP Palm.

Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens that first or second year after the swap.

Milchjon

One thing I don't get about Ballmer resigning is the notion that "MS will be great again".

What consumer facing products did they make that were genuinely great that came out before his reign? Most of the MS stuff I actually love was post-Gates, whether it's Xbox-related, Metro design stuff or things like Kinect and Surface Pro.

The only thing I can come up with right now is Age of Empires. Everything else was utilitarian at best.

Fjolle

anyone care to create separate thread about the Windows Phone developer sign up promo pricing? price is $19 compared to $99 and the promo ends in 3 days. App Studio Beta is pretty sweet for creating basic apps without the need for any coding.

http://apps.windowsstore.com/default.htm
https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/join

My account is first up for renewal on the 1st of November.. Also Joe never gave me the refund he promised :/

One thing I don't get about Ballmer resigning is the notion that "MS will be great again".

What consumer facing products did they make that were genuinely great that came out before his reign? Most of the MS stuff I actually love was post-Gates, whether it's Xbox-related, Metro design stuff or things like Kinect and Surface Pro.

The only thing I can come up with right now is Age of Empires. Everything else was utilitarian at best.
Motocross Madness.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

The new CEO will put back the start menu to save MS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Are you guys talking about sonybbq? Or one of like three posters with kaz avatars that constantly pimp xperia phones in every phone thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom