• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I don't get about Ballmer resigning is the notion that "MS will be great again".

What consumer facing products did they make that were genuinely great that came out before his reign? Most of the MS stuff I actually love was post-Gates, whether it's Xbox-related, Metro design stuff or things like Kinect and Surface Pro.

The only thing I can come up with right now is Age of Empires. Everything else was utilitarian at best.

The only thing people really see is the launch of the Zune, KIN, Vista under Ballmer, so that's exactly what you get as a response.

"lol KIN, Zune, Vista, Windows 8"

Honestly, I still can't believe the people still remember KIN. It was the very definition of sent to die and never got any real publicity.

So you're saying he wasn't the right medicine for HP?

I actually chuckled. You bastard.

i don't understand all the flack Joe B gets.

MS has made it clear that mobile is MS's red headed stepchild behind PC software and Xbox.

there's only so much that the mobile team can do if the resources aren't there and their release calendar revolves around the release of MS's other products.

Talon

i don't understand all the flack Joe B gets.

MS has made it clear that mobile is MS's red headed stepchild behind PC software and Xbox.

there's only so much that the mobile team can do if the resources aren't there and their release calendar revolves around the release of MS's other products.
I always liked that Sinofsky's blog was called "Learn by Shipping."

That subtle jab at the Windows Mobile team.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There was a windows weekly a month or so ago that talked about the possible replacements. All were very boring from a consumer perspective but made sense from a business perspective.

As a consumer, I'd prefer someone like Sinofsky or Elop. Or the Palm guy, someone who has a vision for their consumer products, but a business person will probably win out.

Milchjon

This may be common knowledge, but Nokia Germany was trying to calm people down on FB and said the expected window for Amber was August 15th til the end of September.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I always liked that Sinofsky's blog was called "Learn by Shipping."

That subtle jab at the Windows Mobile team.

Which is ironic considering that it was the Windows team that slowed down the release of Apollo and is most responsible for the delay in WP blue.

Talon

There was a windows weekly a month or so ago that talked about the possible replacements. All were very boring from a consumer perspective but made sense from a business perspective.

As a consumer, I'd prefer someone like Sinofsky or Elop. Or the Palm guy, someone who has a vision for their consumer products, but a business person will probably win out.
Ruby for life!
palm_ceo_jon_rubenstein.jpg

Too bad he's busy sitting on multiple boards and apparently fiddling with wearables.

hwalker84

Wasn't Sinofsky the guy that was notorious for not trying to work with other teams? Why the hell would you want him steering the ship.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wasn't Sinofsky the guy that was notorious for not trying to work with other teams? Why the hell would you want him steering the ship.

I like surface and windows 8. Also, he wouldn't have to worry about working with other teams if its his company. And really, my main point is I want a consumer visionary more than a business person.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Good news for Canadians, the Lumia 1020 will also be coming to Telus along with the 625. Rogers exclusive grip seems to be broken, which is great.

NeOak

Love the engineer layout. Gaming rig and constructor-worker background. Yeah, good job Verge.

I love how they suggest a Galaxy S4.

Verge, get this right: I don't use Android precisely because I'm an engineer.

Android is a clusterfuck as an embedded OS. You can't pay me enough to have the mobile equivalent of Windows ME with the slowdown features of MacOS 9

/rage

Milchjon

I love how they suggest a Galaxy S4.

Verge, get this right: I don't use Android precisely because I'm an engineer.

Android is a clusterfuck as an embedded OS. You can't pay me enough to have the mobile equivalent of Windows ME with the slowdown features of MacOS 9

/rage

Haha, awesome. Care to expand on that?

Android is the windows mobile of now. Futz around with everything and skin things, install launchers, etc etc. One of my coworkers got star craft running on his old windows mobile device

Milchjon

I switch between English and German pretty often, and the English autocorrect turns the German "denen" into "semen". Was close to sending awkward messages several times.

MCD

Android is the windows mobile of now. Futz around with everything and skin things, install launchers, etc etc. One of my coworkers got star craft running on his old windows mobile device

How's the mood at the office with Ballmer retiring, flowers?

You can ignore this post if you aren't comfortable answering.

kharma45

Nokia are ballin', Amber brings the high touch sensitivity option to the Lumia 620 so you can use it with gloves.

Edit - Oh lord you can get Pro Cam working too on it with some tweaking, YES!

Milchjon

Today's Nokia Conversations post makes it sound like Path is near.

Also, Angry Birds Star Wars 2 will arrive simultaneously on all the major mobile platforms.

Razdek

Banned
Good news for Canadians, the Lumia 1020 will also be coming to Telus along with the 625. Rogers exclusive grip seems to be broken, which is great.

What's the point of the Lumia 625? Big screen but low end specs and pretty expensive ($300) for what you get. Who is this phone supposed to appeal to especially with a Nexus 4 in the same price range? Low spec phones are OK but not at that price range.

kharma45

What's the point of the Lumia 625? Big screen but low end specs and pretty expensive ($300) for what you get. Who is this phone supposed to appeal to especially with a Nexus 4 in the same price range? Low spec phones are OK but not at that price range.

Works over here in the UK alright. Offers 4G, big screen and fairly decent specs for not a whole lot of outlay. £180 or so on PAYG, whilst still kinda expensive, is a cheap way into 4G.

Although in saying that some retailers are now doing the 820 for the same price.

Re: Balmer.

As long as something like this doesn't happen with the new CEO wanting to burn all of their non-consumer products, I'm fine with it. Though I did like Balmer. The guy was certainly passionate about what he did all the while opening up new opportunities for the company and keeping financials stable. Now lets either buy or merge with Nokia and make Elop the new CEO.

Is there anything to worry about having the glance screen on overnight??:

edit: Elop as CEO, buy Nokia, thanks!

I have it on peek mode and also enabled double tap to turn on. Last time I charged my phone was to 100% at 10:00 last night. I pretty much haven't touched my phone today (maybe I flicked the screen on and off a few times and watched a single video and deleted my emails but thats it). Right now it is at 57% and I still haven't touched it.

anyone care to create separate thread about the Windows Phone developer sign up promo pricing? price is $19 compared to $99 and the promo ends in 3 days. App Studio Beta is pretty sweet for creating basic apps without the need for any coding.

http://apps.windowsstore.com/default.htm
https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/join
I wish I could, but you can't stack them and mine is up in october at which point I'll reup it using my Dreamspark

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

An 8gb non expandable phone is nonsense. $349 is the way I look at an N4, and it's still a good deal at that price, just too close to the $500 price you can get some flagships at.

Razdek

Banned
An 8gb non expandable phone is nonsense. $349 is the way I look at an N4, and it's still a good deal at that price, just too close to the $500 price you can get some flagships at.

Huh? A 8GB Nexus 4 is only $299 and you get way more in the hardware than this Lumia 625. I have the 520 with a 16 GB sdcard but it's useless when you can't install the apps on it and everything has to go on the 8 GB partition.

I only have 363 MB left and that's after uninstalling a lot of apps and 1.3 GB taken by the other storage that I can't seem to get back,

Someone like my wife. She is still using the Titan and don't care much for apps. She uses it for Facebook, check email, message and occasionally take picture or two. I try to get her to upgrade to 900 or 920 but she said she want a big screen. Things like Note 2 or even Nokia next phablet would be a waste for someone like her. She doesn't care for high-res screen nor apps or games. She just want fast easy to use phone that have giant ass screen.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Huh? A 8GB Nexus 4 is only $299 and you get way more in the hardware than this Lumia 625. I have the 520 with a 16 GB sdcard but it's useless when you can't install the apps on it and everything has to go on the 8 GB partition.

I only have 363 MB left and that's after uninstalling a lot of apps and 1.3 GB taken by the other storage that I can't seem to get back,

I hope you realize you just proved my frickin point.

Razdek

Banned
I hope you realize you just proved my frickin point.

My original point was who is this Lumia 625 for? You said a 8 GB phone with non-expandable memory is worthless and I said that 8 GB with expandable memory is worthless as well especially on WP since you can't install apps on it.

Anyways, at $300 for the Lumia 625 with those specs or a 8 GB Nexus 4 I think most would pick the Nexus 4. With this pricing I wonder how much they're going to charge for the phablet phone.

Razdek

Banned
Someone like my wife. She is still using the Titan and don't care much for apps. She uses it for Facebook, check email, message and occasionally take picture or two. I try to get her to upgrade to 900 or 920 but she said she want a big screen. Things like Note 2 or even Nokia next phablet would be a waste for someone like her. She doesn't care for high-res screen nor apps or games. She just want fast easy to use phone that have giant ass screen.

But would she pay $300 for that phone? I don't know, I can see why the Lumia 520 sells well, not sure about the 620 but just can't see the 625 selling well at that price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom