• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want that Nokia tablet, but $500 is just too much for RT, and Surface RT already proved that. Why does Nokia think it can hit the same price point a year later, again with a cool keyboard attachment, yet achieve a different result when they won't even be able to match the marketing spend for the failed Surface RT?

RT would have been fine at 300$, 350$ with the keyboard. Have no clue why the price started at 500$.

Is the 360 Beta considered over yet?

Don't know, but I'm trying to get into the xbone beta. I've got a close-ish coworker who's got friends in higher places at xbone division.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft account is there, but I don't think you've ever been able to use points. Wouldn't make sense to add it either, since everything is going to money.

While on the topic, has there ever been any decent apps/services with wallet integration? Did Apple's Passbook ever take off?

I wonder if it'd be possible to create an app that would at least serve as a way to put all of your annoying grocery store rewards accounts on your phone. (Edit: Looks like said app already exists)

With the 360 update or I assume on your web account, if you add points it will get converted to money, which you can use to buy apps. I have been doing it for a while now.

edit: Xbox Music on the 360 also now sync's with your cloud collection.

Razdek

Banned
I want that Nokia tablet, but $500 is just too much for RT, and Surface RT already proved that. Why does Nokia think it can hit the same price point a year later, again with a cool keyboard attachment, yet achieve a different result when they won't even be able to match the marketing spend for the failed Surface RT?

Good luck Nokia, at that price range they won't be selling a lot of them. I agree with all the points you made and you know they will probably price their keyboard accessory over $100.

RT would have been fine at 300$, 350$ with the keyboard. Have no clue why the price started at 500$.

Don't know, but I'm trying to get into the xbone beta. I've got a close-ish coworker who's got friends in higher places at xbone division.

I remember saying Surface is essentially another Zune and some of you guys think I was being negative. The price was high because Microsoft wants it to be iPad-like premium merchandise and not the cheap "knock-off" Asus Nexus. I keep saying they are going the wrong direction and that they need to undercut the price and provide more incentive for people to switch. Even at $300, today the Surface is still over price due to lack of apps (gee, where did we experience that before). It's like Microsoft learn nothing from not just their own failures but failures of others. They should have either combine the Phone OS with RT and make it one OS that can be launch from Windows 8 (if desire, for those with tablet form factor or hybrid or even touch screen). They could use apps from Windows Phone scale up (yes it will looks like shit ) and allow dev time to patch to make the "tablet" version so the apps landscape is not barebone.

As for Nokia I have no idea why they even want to get into RT market after Microsoft have to write off $900 million dollars. They should stick with making Nokia phablet rather than RT instead of another iPad wanna-be. Even 8" RT would make more sense than another Surface size tablet.

I thought the new Xbox 360 update is getting push out today, that's what I read on several tech sites.

gapless playback is just no time between tracks right? I've always wondered why that was a big deal with people. Could you give me some insight?

Live album is pretty annoying to listen to without gap-less.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Here's a hypothetical for the regulars of this thread: if MS decided to close the WP division this year, what would be your next phone?

Me? I'd go iPhone 5S, with ios7 being a big reason why. Its still boring live tiles, but I like the hardware/software combo better than anything on android. I would even consider the z10, since in my hypothetical, they would presumably get more attention from devs. My third choice would probably be the S4 now or an Xperia phone in the fall depending on their reviews.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a hypothetical for the regulars of this thread: if MS decided to close the WP division this year, what would be your next phone?

Me? I'd go iPhone 5S, with ios7 being a big reason why. Its still boring live tiles, but I like the hardware/software combo better than anything on android. I would even consider the z10, since in my hypothetical, they would presumably get more attention from devs. My third choice would probably be the S4 now or an Xperia phone in the fall depending on their reviews.

Hmmm, Probably 5S or the HTC One.

MCD

Regarding points, I meant we can use them now and it will be converted to $ automatically.

This is pretty sweet for my family since they don't have a CC.

kharma45

Whatever the next Nexus is.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Have you guys got the new Bing search layout yet? I got it last week and I like it a lot. I hope they continue to add more meta data such as for stats for pro sports players.

Milchjon

Nokia's next Android phone, of course.

I dunno, there's nothing that really appeals to me. The One is nice, and with a few icon packs and a whole lot of trial and error I guess I could turn it into something I could live with.

iOS7's way of repainting an aging, inflexible OS with some rip-off designs and weird colors doesn't really appeal to me. Neither does the design of the iPhone 5/5S/5C. The 4 was hardware perfection at the time, but beyond that...

this_guy

I'd like a Nokia (for the camera) that uses Android. But since that's not going to happen, ideally I'd like an Android phone with a 4.3" screen with a good camera and battery life. Basically a flagship phone that's not a 5" screen, but manufacturers won't make one of those. The HTC One Mini is close, but the One's camera wasn't very good and the battery on the Mini is smaller than I would like.

I like Windows Phone as an OS, but it's always going to play catch up when it comes to apps.

Milchjon

I'd go back to Android, reluctantly.

Apple will never ever see even one penny from me.

I don't even feel that way about Apple. I loved my iPod Touch, and at some point a few years ago when my PC died it was my only computing device for about two months. I survived without a problem.

There's just nothing appealing about their phones/OS in their current form compared to the competition. If they did something groundbreaking and I had the money, I might get an iPhone at some point, but it really doesn't look likely.

yea I'd either get the 5S or go with a dumb phone. Like an Ashia from Nokia.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I would probably get the great android phone of the moment.

Nokia phone, which most likely will be running Android. I don't think I will ever go back to iPhone. I plan to get rid of my Nexus 7 and pick up iPad Mini when that thing come with higher res display.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm sitting at my desk all summer in Germany, studying things I don't understand for tests I won't pass. Seeing those beaches and everything just stings a bit ;-)

Ah, ok. Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm stuck during the week at a desk job and I'm also knee-deep in schoolwork like you, so the beach pics are just a tiny part of an otherwise typically dull adult life, lol.

The Lumia phones on AT&T are still "waiting for approval". If they hadn't already updated the 8X, I would honestly think that AT&T was just not going to update the phones.

Piper Az

Wait, I just read that iOS7, Apple's somewhat overhauling new mobile OS, will be released in September 10th (The Verge). Then, I see MS...wow, their Windows Mobile "Blue" will be out NEXT YEAR!!!. What.Is.Taking.So.LONG??? You can't release updates this late when you are playing the catch-up game, MS!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Blue will likely be a bigger update than ios7, even without the new coat of paint. The windows team is the main reason it won't be ready this fall. And before you jump down my throat, I agree it should have been out this fall, and that was probably the plan originally. I also agree that, as an underdog, they should be moving much more quickly, but they can't move any faster than the main windows 8 team, and those guys are hustling with 8.1. Its somewhat of a blessing in that they get some code handed down, and more of a curse in that they have to wait in order to implement their modifications on top of the 8.1 code.

Piper Az

Blue will likely be a bigger update than ios7, even without the new coat of paint. The windows team is the main reason it won't be ready this fall. And before you jump down my throat, I agree it should have been out this fall, and that was probably the plan originally. I also agree that, as an underdog, they should be moving much more quickly, but they can't move any faster than the main windows 8 team, and those guys are hustling with 8.1. Its somewhat of a blessing in that they get some code handed down, and more of a curse in that they have to wait in order to implement their modifications on top of the 8.1 code.

This unfortunately is very typical of MS now. They have "reasons" and "excuses" for delays. But, these are not acceptable when other tech companies (Apple and Google) are ahead of MS and moving even faster. Either get your shit together or just bailout. It just makes me sick to see that Windows Phone users are supposed to be "happy" to see delayed updates and year-old apps.

Subitai

Yeah, the two edged sword of cross platform integration.

Ah, ok. Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm stuck during the week at a desk job and I'm also knee-deep in schoolwork like you, so the beach pics are just a tiny part of an otherwise typically dull adult life, lol.
What is your instagram user name. I need some beach pictures to cheer me up. The rains are back here in Pacific Northwest...

I went to play with 1020 today and if they drop the price to $149.00 I would bite even knowing that a new Nokia phone on the horizon. I love the new camera suite.

f0lken

So if rumours (and some confirmed reports) are true GDR3 will be a pretty good catch-up update: Notification Center, individual volume controls, 1080p, message syncing, rotation lock, etc. But does someone now about unique rumored features?

Milchjon

So if rumours (and some confirmed reports) are true GDR3 will be a pretty good catch-up update: Notification Center, individual volume controls, 1080p, message syncing, rotation lock, etc. But does someone now about unique rumored features?

Mandatory Kinect.

frontieruk

That it is an update prepping for the real update as JoeB took the windows phone team to his beach house in Malibu where they all lost a month....

PG2G

If all that is true then GDR3 is a much larger update than most of us expected. I guess they have to throw us a bone because of the delays to Blue.

I'd expect anything truly unique to be saved for Blue though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom