• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus. 30 % downloaded of 1.3 gig in a good half hour. It's like dial up all over again.

I'm flashing my 920 at the moment btw. Fingers crossed!

Texts get backed up, right? That's the main reason I don't want to flash it. It was really annoying with Windows Phone 7.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes they do if you switched it on.

The last time I switched it on only just before flashing and it only had backed up about half of my texts.

hadareud

The Translator
Fucks sake there was a problem with the backup.

Going to try again.

edit: actually, everything seems to be there. Odd.

eBvVTDm.png

:)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh man oh man oh man! So tempted but I kind of do not want to lose my game saves... It is the only reason why I have not sent this 920 off to be repaired (have a defect in the LCD screen)!

hadareud

The Translator
Just got a reply from EE to my tweet from yesterday:

vawSIUU.png

Not really of any use.

My upload of the firmware is still only half way there, sorry for the wait :(

kharma45

That would be awesome. Can you just use Nokia Care Suite then to flash the ROM?

I was able to check through Care Suite for ROMs but when I was doing it two nights ago it was still the old one on there.

kharma45

Yes you can.

The ROM will be up in care suite too now, it checks the same servers (I think it was added this morning).

I'll check it when I'm home later on then. Only things I care about are Podcast Lounge and Gym PocketGuide Pro but they both now have Skydrive backup so not a big deal to flash it.

derFeef

Wait, someone explain this to me please. I can update the 920 manually if I have the ROM. I am not good with those things - I sweated blood flashing my Nexus tablet.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes you can. You just need to download the Nokia care suite, use the product support tool and "refurbish" the phone with the new rom.

Played around a bit with things, FM radio works ok, glance is nice, the pro cam is excellent, though it does seem to make the problem of the scratch I have on my lens a bit worse.

I might finally go for the grey body now to get rid of that problem.

Data sense is nice to have for sure.

wp_ss_20130828_0001.png

Yay!

Also, I could have sworn the saturation on my 820 wasn't as over the top after the reboot. Just noticed that in the Lumia Colour Profile is there now. Praise be!

Edit: oh my, I really can't express how happy I am with this colour adjustment.

hadareud

The Translator
And that works regardless of carrier, unlocked etc. ?
If so, thanks duder!

Yep. If your phone is unlocked it will stay unlocked.

You just need to get the right ROM.

I can check your phone code if you like. What's your version number (starting with 1232.), carrier (did you buy it in a store or from a carrier) and the colour of your phone?

Sordid

Yay!

Also, I could have sworn the saturation on my 820 wasn't as over the top after the reboot. Just noticed that in the Lumia Colour Profile is there now. Praise be!

Edit: oh my, I really can't express how happy I am with this colour adjustment.

Is that on O2? No updates for my CV GB 920 and 620 yet :*(

toff74

But my game saves of the games I no longer play!

I feel your pain. Those 5 angry birds games sapped all of an hour each.. same with the must have Temple Run AND Temple Run Brave.

.. it's all in the name of adventure and more to the point, being one of the first to sample the wonder that is THE AMBER UPDATE!

flippedb

Banned
Yesterday I made Android users jealous of 6sec and 6tag. Such wonderful apps. And Rudy is a nice dude, he almost always answers inquiries on twitter.

Also, Latin America won't ever get the Amber update. So far just one device (920 in Puerto Rico) has the update.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday I made Android users jealous of 6sec and 6tag. Such wonderful apps. And Rudy is a nice dude, he almost always answers inquiries on twitter.

Also, Latin America won't ever get the Amber update. So far just one device (920 in Puerto Rico) has the update.

His apps are fantastic. Also Rudy and Daniel Gary of Instance had some interesting back and forth on twitter.

hadareud

The Translator
Would be nice if you could use existing videos in 6tag.

I didn't know that you couldn't and recorded the CL intro at the Arsenal game last night already picturing all the great hashtags I was going to use only to find out that I couldn't use it.

I was distraught. Still am.

hwalker84

Would be nice if you could use existing videos in 6tag.

I didn't know that you couldn't and recorded the CL intro at the Arsenal game last night already picturing all the great hashtags I was going to use only to find out that I couldn't use it.

I was distraught. Still am.

For some reason Apps are locked out of accessing videos unless you're an OEM.

PG2G

Yeah... that is probably the dumbest omission from the API that I can think of. How hard is it to implement a Video Choosing Task like they did for Pictures? Seems like they'd be nearly the same as far as code is concerned

MCD

Yeah... that is probably the dumbest omission from the API that I can think of. How hard is it to implement a Video Choosing Task like they did for Pictures? Seems like they'd be nearly the same as far as code is concerned

Probably for security reasons.

It's always security.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I feel your pain. Those 5 angry birds games sapped all of an hour each.. same with the must have Temple Run AND Temple Run Brave.

.. it's all in the name of adventure and more to the point, being one of the first to sample the wonder that is THE AMBER UPDATE!

Alright I am going to do it! Will I be able to use the Yellow one on my Black 920? Or will I have to just download a different one once I get home?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ticket to Ride is now on the Kindle Fire but not any Win8 devices :(

These are some of the games I would really appreciate for the platform.

Milchjon

Neogaf posts are all made by infants confirmed.

Wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: The funniest reaction to the Ballmer retirement yet:

Slate: Steve Ballmer is a Hero.

For being the only one standing up to Google, even though it meant losing ~11 Billion.

That’s because Google has true potential to become an oppressive force. Its services are so interwoven into the contemporary digital lifestyle that it’d be hard to imagine not using them. Hard, that is, if not for Ballmer’s biggest business failure—the Microsoft online services division, which has lost $11 billion since 2005. That $11 billion has been an enormous boon to you and me and every other normal person who relies on Google rather than Bing and other Microsoft products for search and maps and webmail and calendars. As a business proposition, Bing is stuck in a weird place. It’s a solid set of services—you can get by with it fine if you have to—but there’s no actual good reason to put yourself in the situation of needing to rely on it. It’s a high-quality service, but it costs Microsoft money to maintain those high standards.

But those standards are also high enough to make Google worry. Unlike the Microsoft of 15 years ago, Google’s profits depend almost entirely on being markedly better than the alternatives. That drives them to constant improvement of their own quality. More importantly, it prevents them from deliberately reducing quality to make a quick buck. “Don’t be evil” is a nice slogan. “Don’t let techies start recommending that people switch to Bing” is a business principle for the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom